Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Isn't This Game Huge?

123457»

Comments

  • AselliaAsellia Member UncommonPosts: 174

    Well, I can't speak for others, but, I personally -looooooved- the game, I however, do not personally love hte monthly fee. AS in, I can't afford it, not for it, or other games.

     

    So now, I will wait until I have money, then i'll play it.

  • eindinblocheindinbloch Member Posts: 60

    None of the character classes really appealed to me.  At the time this game came out, I was really not interested in the type of  combat the game used.  I did like monster play, but that was only a VERY small part of the game.

  • mindmeldmindmeld Member UncommonPosts: 229

    To me the world feels dull the graphic really is to dull even on max graphic settings.

    And i always gets bored after a month or so.

    -Semper ubi sub ubi!
    always wear underwear

  • revslaverevslave Member UncommonPosts: 154

    1. I allready know the story line.

    2. None of the class really caught my attention

    3. You can never make the lorenazi's and the average player happy (General Issues with IP not controled by the game dev and publisher)

    4. they should have used the guild wars marketing / model with no sub and buying chunks every few months

    5. Really wish it was skilled baed rather then lvl based, it would just fit better with the lore

    6. WTF was up with postal quests ?

    7. while i was really excited that tom bombadil , was in the game , it was a bit of a let down (this is a minor gripe but he is the man)

     

     

     

     

     

     

    image

  • RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

    Originally posted by revslave

    7. while i was really excited that tom bombadil , was in the game , it was a bit of a let down (this is a minor gripe but he is the man) 

    That WAS awesome though, when he comes to help you against that tough skeleton endboss. First time i was thinking "boy im going to get owned", then shortly before i died suddenly the skeleton guy panics and before you get whats going on he gets owned by old tom, who imformed him that dead guys have no buisness walking around.

    Definitly one of the more awesome moments in MMO history, atleast for me. Every time i play through those quests again im hoping that this is the time the withcking decides to stay around, just to see Old Tom vs Witchking, wont be much of a fight though i guess.

  • Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

    If you like PvE MMOs, LOTRO is certainly one of the best on the market. I don't see how anyone could argue that.

    Personally, I love the game, only the second MMO i've played that I truely enjoy. Though I am in a great group on Brandywine with much laughter and palling around. Like all MMOs that can be the difference.

    The game itself though runs perfect for me on DX10, there is always so much to do I have trouble deciding, and the community is great in game. Best I've experienced in fact.

    Personally, LOTRO is the benchmark in PvE MMOs for me. When I play another, I always wish they had features or QoL improvements LOTRO does.

  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

    Turbine has done an awesome,awesome job of making the game not appeal to the little annoying kiddies that so many of the big games has not. This makes Lotro THE BEST mmo ON THE MARKET for me and I will never play anything else !

    Oh and there is a hell of a lot more to lotRO than people realize from the start. There are game systems at play here that has never been seen before, just takes some time and lvls to see em. Awesome job Turbine!

  • RaganaRagana Member Posts: 458

    Originally posted by Rocketeer

    Sorry not buying it. PvE Servers are just as popular in WoW as PvP Servers, so its certainly not the open world pvp missing. Also Warhammer proved that focus on pvp != success. Furthermore they would totally have to butcher the balance between classes to be made pvp viable.

    Please tell me you were not being serious with that statement.

    Veni, Vidi, Vici

  • RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Ragana


    Originally posted by Rocketeer



    Sorry not buying it. PvE Servers are just as popular in WoW as PvP Servers, so its certainly not the open world pvp missing. Also Warhammer proved that focus on pvp != success. Furthermore they would totally have to butcher the balance between classes to be made pvp viable.

    Please tell me you were not being serious with that statement.

     

    Please tell me what your are talking about. There are several rather controversial points in my post.
  • einexileeinexile Member UncommonPosts: 197

    Originally posted by Rocketeer

    Originally posted by Ragana

    Originally posted by Rocketeer



    Sorry not buying it. PvE Servers are just as popular in WoW as PvP Servers, so its certainly not the open world pvp missing. Also Warhammer proved that focus on pvp != success. Furthermore they would totally have to butcher the balance between classes to be made pvp viable.

    Please tell me you were not being serious with that statement.

     

    Please tell me what your are talking about. There are several rather controversial points in my post.

     

    You're working with a modern defenition of PvP. Originally we used it synonymously with "PK-legal," and it strictly referred to player-on-player action in a PvE game. The word "legal" was used because on many MUDs it had to be enforced by hand.

    So it is really a misnomer to call Warhammer a PvP game. PK is essentially a banned activity in Warhammer, insofar as actions against players who are focused on PvE range between irrelevant and impossible. It's really no more a PvP game than Checkers or Blackjack. It is a competitive match game, with a half-interested swipe at PvE serving for a game lobby.

    Turbine long ago solved the problem of non-disruptive world PvP with an opt-in system that involved a semi-permanent decision for your character. People who wanted nothing to do with it never became involved. Those who did could not enter into it lightly. Going PK in Asheron's Call was as serious a choice as we will likely ever make in an MMO.

    Turbine could have done this in LotRO. They lied about its appropriateness to the source material. But why?

    To have world PvP happening around you, even when - especially when - you're not involved, takes away from the main thing LotRO is selling, which is: You're not just some slob, you're the big hero. For just $9.99/mo* even you can experience the thrill of mattering to the world. Of being respected by someone - please God, anyone.

    Games like LotRO are based around a carefully designed regimen of flattery, and this is utterly ruined if you allow people in the same space to contend with opponents who can think and plan, whose abilities haven't been painstakingly hamstringed by game designers so as to detract from the thrill of killing and killing and killing only enough to whet the player's appetite for more.

    This is the central strategy for selling the dedicated PvE game. It is not an accident, and the people who rely on it are terrified of giving it up.

    einexile the meek
    Vacuos, Winterlong, Vaciante, Eicosapenta
    Atlantean, Tyranny, Malton

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,966

    Originally posted by einexile



    Turbine long ago solved the problem of non-disruptive world PvP with an opt-in system that involved a semi-permanent decision for your character. People who wanted nothing to do with it never became involved. Those who did could not enter into it lightly. Going PK in Asheron's Call was as serious a choice as we will likely ever make in an MMO.

    Turbine could have done this in LotRO. They lied about its appropriateness to the source material. But why?

    To have world PvP happening around you, even when - especially when - you're not involved, takes away from the main thing LotRO is selling, which is: You're not just some slob, you're the big hero. For just $9.99/mo* even you can experience the thrill of mattering to the world. Of being respected by someone - please God, anyone.

    Games like LotRO are based around a carefully designed regimen of flattery, and this is utterly ruined if you allow people in the same space to contend with opponents who can think and plan, whose abilities haven't been painstakingly hamstringed by game designers so as to detract from the thrill of killing and killing and killing only enough to whet the player's appetite for more.

    This is the central strategy for selling the dedicated PvE game. It is not an accident, and the people who rely on it are terrified of giving it up.

    Oh please. I don't buy your explanation for a moment.

    You can't have orcs invading the shire. Never happened in the time period of the story except at the end. you can't have orcs raiding lothlorien, same deal.

    There's no lie here at all. The source material is out there for anyone who wants to see.

    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • einexileeinexile Member UncommonPosts: 197

    What does this have to do with orcs? I never said anything about loosing the Ettenmoors upon Eriador. I'm talking about brigands. I'm talking about just plain disagreeable people.

    If you can go to the shire, the Blackwolds can manage it too. If the Blackwolds can attack me, you should be able to attack me also. Making it so players can opt out of this is standard MMO practice and need not disrupt anyone, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with lore. In fact there is nothing in Tolkien to suggest everyday adventurers are protected from one another by some artificial forcefield.

    But you didn't address my premise at all, which is that flagging PK-legal is disallowed because it would make other players feel less heroic or less important.

    einexile the meek
    Vacuos, Winterlong, Vaciante, Eicosapenta
    Atlantean, Tyranny, Malton

  • eburneburn Member Posts: 740

    I played WoW, EQ, EQ2, so on and so forth. LotRO just didn't bring anything new, and it kind of couldn't since everything before it was partly inspired by it's IP.

    I didn't like it for a rather selfish reason, which I'll readily admit, their version of Middle-Earth was NOTHING like the one I built inside my head while reading the source material. I think that's the risk of 'huge IPs'. SWG is another game I can say had the same problem for me. TOR not so much since I don't really know much about that era so it all seems more open to interpretation.

    I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,966

    Originally posted by einexile

    What does this have to do with orcs? I never said anything about loosing the Ettenmoors upon Eriador. I'm talking about brigands. I'm talking about just plain disagreeable people.

    If you can go to the shire, the Blackwolds can manage it too. If the Blackwolds can attack me, you should be able to attack me also. Making it so players can opt out of this is standard MMO practice and need not disrupt anyone, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with lore. In fact there is nothing in Tolkien to suggest everyday adventurers are protected from one another by some artificial forcefield.

    But you didn't address my premise at all, which is that flagging PK-legal is disallowed because it would make other players feel less heroic or less important.

    sorry, I was actually addressing this bit.

    Turbine could have done this in LotRO. They lied about its appropriateness to the source material. But why?

    The blackwolds are an extrapolation of what a mob would be. They don't fall into the story at all but my guess is that Turbine surmised that there must be brigands. But they can't change the game world. Neither can the orcs they sprinkle about.

    Problem with lotro is that there IS an artificial force field protecting the areas. At least in the Lord of the Rings.

    The shire is protected by elves and rangers, Lothlorien is protected by the magic of one of the rings. So is Elrond's establishment.

    So that leaves the human areas. Gondor always deals with orcs but we aren't there yet. Rohan deals with saruman's orcs but we aren't there yet.

    you essentially have small pockets where possible conflict can happen. But the mobs in lotro are passive. They don't take over the shire or lothlorien or raid Rivendell.

    Players however can do that. That doesn't happen in the books. that's not the world we are playing in.

    So the areas of the shire or rivendell or lothlorien are always going to be in tact. Which is what they should be. It's the threat of Saruman and Sauron that is the antagonist. Not some player named I0wnzu and his buddy Bloody.

    Now granted, Turbine has done bending and I'm not one of those who is too fond of too much bending of the story. But that's my thing.

    But having orcs march into the shire or lothlorien or rivendell and cause actual mayhem just didn't happen in the books. Was there turmoil? probably. It's a world even if it's a ficticious world so there must be areas that have issues. We do know that hobbits at some point in their history march to war, The Battle of Fornost. We do know that mirkwood was an elven area.

    But in the time of the books everything has its equilibrium. That is what creates the drama because Sauron and Saruman threaten that equilibrium. In additon the elves are leaving and so that has possible ramifications with that delicate balance.

    But minor bandits or orcs on the outskirts of certain areas, aren't going to change the course of the game world or the feeling of the game world in relation to what it is supposed to be.

    Player orcs and bandits not letting people into bree or camping out the shire or killing everything in sight into Lothlorien does.

    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

    I thought the game was growing by leaps and bounds and was moving on to become really big. Then they added some really stupid shit and closed off a lot of content to people and basically really lost focus of their core players. They need to identify who they really want to appeal to and go balls to the wall on it. They keep asking a lot of community questions but I don't think they are liking the answers. Although, I think they will come around to do what the community wants.

    In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

  • Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

    Communitty to me always was the best thing going for this game <----------

     

    and that sorta left after mirkwood was a flop

  • NamkoNamko Member Posts: 69

    I kinda hope that  Warner Bros will put some money into this game to get better content then Trubine gave us.

     

    btw: I still love this game! It has the best community ever and the world just look awesome imo!:)

    [FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SandyBrown"]Lotro:[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Wheat"]Rolhad[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Wheat"]The Nine[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Wheat"]Evernight[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Sign In or Register to comment.