Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game feels like an inside joke that I'm just not getting...

wow.pwns111wow.pwns111 Member Posts: 108

I played about 6 trials of this over the past 5 years and finally subbed about 6 months ago.

I've tried everything. Mining - 'cringe', Mission running - 'yawn', industry/building and selling shit, and now PVP.

Considering this game is so praised on its PVP ... I just dont get it!!  Solo PVP takes EXTREME patience. probing and waiting mostly, for the opportunity to kill a ship that sucks worse than your's, because if it's slightly better, you will lose.

Then theres fleet PVP It's basically just a gank fest. Whoever is in the biggest fleet with the best ships wins. Explain how this is fun. how can EVE PVP appeal to anyone with 1/2 a brain?

I just dont get it. Can someone let me in on the joke plz?

p.s i'm currenly flying Battlecruiser's, Harbinger mostly

"We have barred the gates, but can not hold them for long...
They have taken the Bridge and the Second Hall...
We can not get out. The end comes.
Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming..."

Comments

• janmagicjanmagic Member Posts: 25

1) Your username instantly decreases your affinity to EVE if it contains WOW.

2) Battlecruisers mostly suck at Soloing

3) Soloing sucks until you have decent skills

4) Get in EVE University or try to join a small, active PVP corp running small-scale gangs

EDIT: 5) see 3)

Actively playing: EVE primarily

• wow.pwns111wow.pwns111 Member Posts: 108

my forum name is satirical as i hate wow.

You didn't address fleet pvp. Explain how a gank fest is fun?

define "gank fest"...

the lag is a known issue and is being adressed, and apart from that usually its not so much of a gank fest (may seem like it tho since you only experience fights one-sided on comms, basically its decided by the size of the FCs balls :P)

Well by 'gank fest' I'm referring to the fact that whoever has the biggest fleet wins. Wheres the fun in this?

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976

Originally posted by wow.pwns111

Hopefully this clears it all up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tyenymJLWk

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

Well by 'gank fest' I'm referring to the fact that whoever has the biggest fleet wins. Wheres the fun in this?

In the biggest fleet.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Some people enjoy the energy and the coordination required for large scale battles.

Players who prefer solo and small group pvp might not appreciate the idea of being part of large groups and having those groups coordinated in a way to make them most effective.

What is fun is having a smaller group (and I am talking about any game that has large scale pvp) and then destroying the larger group. This has been, at times, my experience in Lineage 2.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

Fleet PvP isn't about fun, fleet PvP is about killing as much as you can and winning at all costs, especially when fighting for territory and ressources.

You must be referring to the "BLOB" phenomenon... well once upon a time the Northern Coalition started this tradition of dropping exceedingly huge fleet on enemies and today, its pretty much the only thing that can be effective against them...

Usually fights are won by superior tactics and/or organization of the fleet, which means the FC has to maintain a little group of people getting warp-ins, scouting, etc and the most thrilling moments are when you are on equal ground with the enemy, be it thanks to numbers or strategy...

However, did you experience such a fleet already? Pretty hard to explain it to someone who hasnt tried it yet

Originally posted by JuJutsu

In the biggest fleet.

no 'Has' Whichever fleet is bigger wins. And so you agree? Can you explain how this is fun?

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

If they spend the time and effort to coordinate a bigger fleet, they shouldn't win?

• KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

I have seen smaller fleets win over larger fleets.  It was not a matter of ships involved as much as the tactics and strategy used and the amount of organization applied.

Originally posted by jrs77

Fleet PvP isn't about fun, fleet PvP is about killing as much as you can and winning at all costs, especially when fighting for territory and ressources.

O.k ... so fleet pvp is not fun then. Can you explain what IS fun about EVE?

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976

no 'Has' Whichever fleet is bigger wins. And so you agree? Can you explain how this is fun?

ok, joke posts aside, the fun is in any number of areas. It could be in the capture of  asystem, destruction/demoralization of an enemy, or simply in the execution of a well designed assault. If none of these are fun for you, that doesn't mean they are inherently flawed. It just means they don't suit your idea of fun. Different strokes for different folks right?

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

Dont listen to him. You can put it that way, but its the rational POW, not taking into account the atmosphere during engagements

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

What IS fun about EVE is the amount of player freedom, but if you don't ENJOY that freedom (you don't enjoy doing anything in EVE), it defeats the purpose.

In other words, find another game.

Originally posted by mklinic

ok, joke posts aside, the fun is in any number of areas. It could be in the capture of  asystem, destruction/demoralization of an enemy, or simply in the execution of a well designed assault. If none of these are fun for you, that doesn't mean they are inherently flawed. It just means they don't suit your idea of fun. Different strokes for different folks right?

This is beginning to make sense...

Originally posted by Comnitus

What IS fun about EVE is the amount of player freedom, but if you don't ENJOY that freedom (you don't enjoy doing anything in EVE), it defeats the purpose.

In other words, find another game.

Actually, know what? This.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

You're missing the point.  Wars are never fun, being the surviror and spitting on the corpse of your enemy is where the real satisfaction comes in.  EVE is like that.

Smaller fleets can and do beat larger ones, I've been a member of such a fleet on such occasions. (spider tanking, logistics and eWAR for the win).

Small gangs are very fun, nothing like roaming with 5 or so friends in your strategic cruisers whomping on folks until of course, someone whomps you.

Solo PVP is really only for the strong, and I assure you, plenty of videos out there showing one person trashing 4 or 5 others because they really understand their ships and EVE mechanics.

Yes, your first analysis is correct, you just don't get it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Wars are usually not  equal or fair whether its in real life or a game would you rather people fight in lame ass battlegrounds to make it even? There are ways around this even in RL and games create alliances , hire mercs to fight on your side it all comes down to tactics and coordination, and lastly teamwork, if you can't do these things you will always lose.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by firefly2003

Wars are usually not  equal or fair whether its in real life or a game would you rather people fight in lame ass battlegrounds to make it even? There are ways around this even in RL and games create alliances , hire mercs to fight on your side it all comes down to tactics and coordination, and lastly teamwork, if you can't do these things you will always lose.

And I think you touch upon why EVE is so popular among its players. It is more open and less about artificially creating even sides.

So part of the game play is actually about making sure you are traveling with your A game or that you show up with your A game.

It's about creating a force to be reckoned with and holding what you take with that force. That is the fun part and that is part of what EVE players are singing in for.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

You dont think any fighting occurs that isn't 500vs500?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• VankaarVankaar Member Posts: 2

I played about 6 trials of this over the past 5 years and finally subbed about 6 months ago.

I've tried everything. Mining - 'cringe', Mission running - 'yawn', industry/building and selling shit, and now PVP.

Considering this game is so praised on its PVP ... I just dont get it!!  Solo PVP takes EXTREME patience. probing and waiting mostly, for the opportunity to kill a ship that sucks worse than your's, because if it's slightly better, you will lose.

Then theres fleet PVP It's basically just a gank fest. Whoever is in the biggest fleet with the best ships wins. Explain how this is fun. how can EVE PVP appeal to anyone with 1/2 a brain?

p.s i'm currenly flying Battlecruiser's, Harbinger mostly

Alright, let's break this down.

First: "I played about 6 trials of this over the past 5 years and finally subbed about 6 months ago."

EVE changes twice a year. An average of 1.2 trial every year, and then a 6 month sub is hardly enough time to get anything done in EVE. First point: EVE is about patience.

Second: "I've tried everything. Mining - 'cringe', Mission running - 'yawn', industry/building and selling shit, and now PVP."

Have you tried the follow: Mercenary work; Mass Mining; Mass Industrial/Research; Real Estate; Null Security; Exploration; Corporate Management; Piracy; Market Control; Espionage; Couriers; or make up something? Second point: You haven't tried everything.

Third: "Considering this game is so praised on its PVP ... I just dont get it!! Solo PVP takes EXTREME patience. probing and waiting mostly [...]"

Hunting's easy, you just go in that there bush, and you'll see hundreds of deer waiting to be shot; just take your pick, aim, shoot and bag that thing. Easy as pie. Third point: Of course its not that easy. To hunt means to actively seak something.

Fourth: "[...] for the opportunity to kill a ship that sucks worse than your's, because if it's slightly better, you will lose."

A man not trained in horseback is given the fastest horse. Another person, using an average horse, challenges the first to a race. Who wins? Fourth point: Those who don't know shit, can't win anything, regardless of the ship.

Fifth: "Then theres fleet PVP It's basically just a gank fest. Whoever is in the biggest fleet with the best ships wins. Explain how this is fun. how can EVE PVP appeal to anyone with 1/2 a brain?"

Let's substitute a few words: Then theres group PVP it's basically just a gank fest. Whoever is in the biggest group with the best gear wins. Explain how this is fun. how can this MMO's PVP appeal to anyone with 1/2 a brain? Fifth point: You described the PVP of a very high percentage of all MMOs.

Sixth: "    I just dont get it. Can someone let me in on the joke plz?"

It's you. Or rather, people like you. It brings me absolute pleasure and joy to know that there are shlumps who are so impatient, they cannot play EVE Online. And I'm so glad you can't play EVE. Sixth point: Eve is not for you. I'm not going to convince you to play.

Get the **** out.

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

You need patience to play this game.  You need to be self content.  You need to be goal oriented.  You need to be willing to accept loss.  You need to be a bit of an egotist.

If you have none or few of those traits you will not find enough in EvE to keep you happy unless you find real friendship.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I dont really think your telling us the whole story.  It seems to me like you've deliberatly set out dis-like it,  I'd even go so far as to question the truth behind what you say you've done in Eve.

Some of what you say just doesnt make sense, at all!  Lets take one sentence.

"Solo PVP takes EXTREME patience. probing and waiting mostly, for the opportunity to kill a ship that sucks worse than your's, because if it's slightly better, you will lose."

HUH?  what the hell are you talking about?  Seriously? do you even know how to pvp, do you really understand?.. I think not.  I'm deliberatly not going to go into details here, any Eve player can see from this that what your saying is wrong.  In my 5 years of Eve I've never used a probe and my wins and losses have never had anything to do with my ship.

Lets take another quote..

"Then theres fleet PVP It's basically just a gank fest. Whoever is in the biggest fleet with the best ships wins"

I really do pity you!  I cant imagine what kind of corp you joined, I cant imagine who taught you to pvp, did you make ANY friends AT ALL ?.  Either your only going by what what people have told you and what you've read or your just simply making it all up.

"I just dont get it. Can someone let me in on the joke plz?"

I dont think you will ever get it until somehow you can change your attitude, and the joke, as you say, is most definatly on you! 

Either someone or some group of people are having a huge laugh at your expense, you've not really taken the time to understand, or everything you say is pure fiction.