Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have a confession....

TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Hi, my name is Hatter and I'm addicted to Second Life.

http://hattersl.info/images/sl/clubscene.jpg

(Mad Hatter Club Costume I'm working on image)

Yup. I can't believe it either. I tried it for the first time back in 05 or 06 and I didn't undestand the point of it at all. I don't know how many times I've picked it up after that and gave it a shot just for sh**s and giggles, but I didn't understand it those times either.

But, I tried it again about a month ago and I've been COMPLETELY addicted. I mean, I'm to the point where it's like my first MMO. I have only put in like $10 RMT and that's really the key. I'm still on it and it lets me have a blast. Mostly, I use it for uploading textures for the things I build and only once in a while I go buy something.

I am in 3 Groups for beginning builders and that's pretty much the only place I socialize. The picture above is a club I hang out in and chat with folks..... but that's rare.

Comments

• grneyedvixengrneyedvixen Member Posts: 24

Is there a Second Life Anonymous?  image First step is admitting you have a problem, well done on completing fhe first step!! image

Hehe just Kidding :) Good to have something you enjoy, wish I could say the same!

~*`*~ Vixen ~*`*~

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I have never played Second Life, but it looks like something that would appeal to people who want a sandbox type experience. Heck, you can make pretty much anything you want.

But for me, it doesn't offer the type of world or setting that I am looking for.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

Been there since 04. No need to explain. It's just fun at times.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

People here will say Second Life is not an MMORPG

1. It's massive

2. It's online

3. Players are roleplaying alternate personas

4. Second like even has combat systems

5. There are many role playing sub groups in SL, trekkies, western fans, elves, etc

Just because there aren't a bunch of NPCs standing around with ! doesn't mean SL isn't an MMO.

SL is the perfect sandbox.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by uquipu

1. It's massive

2. It's online

5. There are many role playing sub groups in SL, trekkies, western fans, elves, etc

Just because there aren't a bunch of NPCs standing around with ! doesn't mean SL isn't an MMO.

It's not a MMORPG............. it's a MMORPS (role playing simulation lol)..... there is no "game" persay and that's why people say that.

Honestly, I saw a post by you (I think) where you said that there are MMORPGs INSIDE of SL.... and that's why I picked it up again. I only found one or 2, but they were too expensive and no free trials or anything. But, I do love playing games inside. Gambling, Golf, etc.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

By the way Hatter, have you looked at Blue Mars?

http://www.bluemars.com/

It seems similar to Second Life, to me at least.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

1. It's massive

2. It's online

Agreed. It belongs here. Do what you want with it...

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Hatter, you confuse the s**t out of me.

I saw you post a point in the Wurm Online discussion saying "it's too much simulation, and not enough game"... and then here you are vouching for SL. You opinion means absolutely nothing now.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I have been in SL off and on for over 5 years. I tend to play it between other MMOs. The two biggest draws to the game for me are that the GF likes playing it, and I like to build and sell things in it. SL can be a fun game if you are good as making your own fun and finding things to do rather than have your hand held for you.

Edit: I have also tried Blue Mars and it did not perform very well for me on my computer, and from what I have read it doesn't sound like it is as easy to build objects in the game. Have to actually go into another program to create, and because of that it didn't interest me as much. I also have a pretty decent gaming computer, and Blue Mars just had a horrible framerate, and looked bad with very little graphic settings to adjust anything.

• ScalperOneScalperOne Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by GTwander

I saw you post a point in the Wurm Online discussion saying "it's too much simulation, and not enough game"... and then here you are vouching for SL. You opinion means absolutely nothing now.

You should not expect any coherency from an addict. He is not at fault here....simplelife got to him.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

You mean he fell for the game with the best looking tits. This is how Aion is doing so well.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by GTwander

Well, that's the thing about Wurm.

In Wurm, you are playing the simulation of a real life. In Second Life, you create the simulation.

In Wurm I can chop down trees. In Second Life, I can make a tree that I can chop down, then if I get bored............ I can make it shoot laser beams out of it's eyes.

-------------------

Why does everything get moved lately? I don't want this in the Second Life forum, if I did I would have put it there. Nobody reads this freaking forum. Why don't they move every single thread in General Discussion to some sub-forum. Very few are not spefic game based.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

Originally posted by BloodDuality

I have been in SL off and on for over 5 years. I tend to play it between other MMOs. The two biggest draws to the game for me are that the GF likes playing it, and I like to build and sell things in it. SL can be a fun game if you are good as making your own fun and finding things to do rather than have your hand held for you.

Edit: I have also tried Blue Mars and it did not perform very well for me on my computer, and from what I have read it doesn't sound like it is as easy to build objects in the game. Have to actually go into another program to create, and because of that it didn't interest me as much. I also have a pretty decent gaming computer, and Blue Mars just had a horrible framerate, and looked bad with very little graphic settings to adjust anything.

Blue Mars is still in beta and there's a ton wrong with it still. I get the unexplained crappy framerates as well.

And yeah its based on downloadable cities. Very little is streamed live and I believe the only things that are may be residential/shop items and avatars themselves. Because buildings and such have to be prepackaged however, there's no real time building, and the sandbox editor outside of the city editor is largely conversion utilities to turn COLLADA files into CryEngine capable files.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

Originally posted by TheHatter

1. It's massive

2. It's online

It's not a MMORPG............. it's a MMORPS (role playing simulation lol)..... there is no "game" persay and that's why people say that.

Honestly, I saw a post by you (I think) where you said that there are MMORPGs INSIDE of SL.... and that's why I picked it up again. I only found one or 2, but they were too expensive and no free trials or anything. But, I do love playing games inside. Gambling, Golf, etc.

Try the Socionex and CCS sims: http://www.socionex.com/game/  http://ccs-gametech.com/

They're largely based on freeform roleplay first and foremost though, with meter systems for combat and commerce.

• Erie_Isle_SLErie_Isle_SL Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by TheHatter Honestly, I saw a post by you (I think) where you said that there are MMORPGs INSIDE of SL.... and that's why I picked it up again. I only found one or 2, but they were too expensive and no free trials or anything. But, I do love playing games inside. Gambling, Golf, etc.

Come check us out Hatter. It's free to play.  The meter is our own development and free. There free stuff available to get people started and the RP is set in current day (so you don't need to go find mediaeval armor or whatever). We're also giving away a real world SpaceNavigator 3D mouse this month so we've got free stuff too! :)

Stop by http://www.erie-isle.com/ and say hi.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Every time I read something about Second Life, it never ceases to amaze me how complex, and flexible this virtual world is: it's the ultimate sandbox!

Or at least it comes closest to it from any game/simulation around.

And it's the players in it that make the world breathe.

Player generated content, other MMO's could use a touch - and more - of that.

I'm glad virtual worlds like that are around, and that it's not just spoonfed worlds like so many other MMO's :-)

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by Erie_Isle_SL

Originally posted by TheHatter Honestly, I saw a post by you (I think) where you said that there are MMORPGs INSIDE of SL.... and that's why I picked it up again. I only found one or 2, but they were too expensive and no free trials or anything. But, I do love playing games inside. Gambling, Golf, etc.

Come check us out Hatter. It's free to play.  The meter is our own development and free. There free stuff available to get people started and the RP is set in current day (so you don't need to go find mediaeval armor or whatever). We're also giving away a real world SpaceNavigator 3D mouse this month so we've got free stuff too! :)

Are you guys newbie friendly? lol

I started looking around last night for some games to try, and I didn't understand how they worked at all and couldn't find any information about them.

• Erie_Isle_SLErie_Isle_SL Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by TheHatter Are you guys newbie friendly? lol

I started looking around last night for some games to try, and I didn't understand how they worked at all and couldn't find any information about them.

Oh yeah, totally. I don't know hom MMORPG.com feels about me linking but check the "Getting Started" section on our website (in my sig). It covers the basics and we also have mentoring and and OCC group for asking questions. We also have RP classes that are open to anyone, regardless of whether they play with us or not.

You still kinda have to jump in with both feet though. Touching on what cyphers said, SL isn't spoon-fed... not even in our little corner of it. It's a weird thing actually: Some people get the immersion and social part of SL and really dig it. Others don't get it at all and find SL to be irritating lol. I've given up trying to understand it and just say that both groups are absolutely right :)

Stop by http://www.erie-isle.com/ and say hi.

Originally posted by Erie_Isle_SL

Originally posted by TheHatter Are you guys newbie friendly? lol

Oh yeah, totally. I don't know hom MMORPG.com feels about me linking but check the "Getting Started" section on our website (in my sig). It covers the basics and we also have mentoring and and OCC group for asking questions. We also have RP classes that are open to anyone, regardless of whether they play with us or not.

You still kinda have to jump in with both feet though. Touching on what cyphers said, SL isn't spoon-fed... not even in our little corner of it. It's a weird thing actually: Some people get the immersion and social part of SL and really dig it. Others don't get it at all and find SL to be irritating lol. I've given up trying to understand it and just say that both groups are absolutely right :)

I don't think mmorpg.com minds about stuff like that. As long as it pertains to mmorpgs and isn't illegal activies (gold selling, etc.). I think they give special credit to content creators too, even though you aren't part of a group that created an entire stand alone MMORPG, I can't see how you're toooo much different than the Realm Lords guy. As long as you keep it in your sig and don't spam of course. :-D

I stopped by and checked it out. I got most of the freebie stuff, hooked my char into the matrix costume, joined the newbie group, TP'd to the start zone and walked around a bit. I don't have time to really try it out today, but I'll definitally be back to look around a bit (I left my avatar there actually). I'm not really into RPing, but I like the idea and I'm hoping that people in SL can make me feel comfortable with it. I've never really been around anyone who made me feel comfortable RPing since the early days of UO, when everything was new and you mostly had PnP or MUDers around. The only real experience I've had in the hundreds of games I've played since then, was on an RP server in WoW where I saw a Tauren giving people tea at an Inn....... I felt like a moron just watching them RP. lol (it was sickingly cute and cuddly type stuff)

• DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

Is this the game where they upgraded their graphics to Crysistek ?

or the other one?

So far from what I see, the graphics is kinda MEH ... =(

I would love to try it out though for a pure sandbox game but need a better graphics ...

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

nha its the other one second life didnt touch it!

Originally posted by Dolmong

Is this the game where they upgraded their graphics to Crysistek ?

or the other one?

So far from what I see, the graphics is kinda MEH ... =(

I would love to try it out though for a pure sandbox game but need a better graphics ...

That's Blue Mars, I think it's always been done in the Crytek engine.

The graphics aren't that bad tbh, they aren't great, but they aren't that bad. SL is only a 20mb download, it downloads the environments dynamically depending where you are, it's a little annoying somtimes, but overall it's a better system when you have tens of thousands of ppl creating new things all the time. BM is a 400mb download and everytime they update (from what I hear), you have to download the entire client over again....... that's pretty bad imho. You also have to download entire cities before you can enter them. Although, they are working on cloud computing the rendering.... to me that doesn't even make sense, but if they can do it, it's definitally going to be a HUGE leap into the future.

BM, also has no where the content creation accessiblity that SL has. When you have a game based solely around your players creating the content for your game, making it to where professional 3D Modellers and game programmers have to create that content....... it just has fail written all over it. Combine that with the name, which is very unfriendly to the people it's trying to attract (spacey themed, but based in reality? targetting normal people like facebook viewers? yeah...) and the fact that their name has the same abbreviation with Bowl Movement. :-|

Although, they do seem to be trying to take bigger steps into bringing it to average people than SL has.

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

Blue Mars is using Crytek's CryEngine 2. Client download is normal as any other, just patch it when they publish one. You download cities/area as they are updated. First time you visit an area, you download it, which is good for bandwidth.

I prefer the content system BM has, where you use a real modeling app. Here is the thing, in sl you either build with their limited tools in-game or upload sculpted models. Sculpties (as they call them) are ok for character editing and terrains in games as they use them, but in this case they can be and are used for everything sinc LL counts primitives (prims they call them) rather than poly count. Sculpted models, especially in sl since you cant remove the extra edges/polygons, are one heck of a load on the videocard if you use too many. But, uploading a regular model from a modeling app will allow very high detailed models without the giant poly counts so that your videocard will be much happier.

I guess the name Blue Mars means terraformed. A terraformed mars would be blue... apart from the one mountain that would poke red above the atmosphere. But that is just a guess on my part for what the name means. It's still well in pre-release.

btw, just to mention, regular modeling apps are way easier to use than what they offer in sl. It's just another learning curve. If you can use the sl modeling system, can probably catch onto a modeling app quick enough, if you don't go downloading something abnormal like Blender... (waits for flames ;)  )

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

so is this game still sub base ?

Originally posted by Dolmong

so is this game still sub base ?

Second Life? No. I don't remember it ever being sub based. (maybe free trials back in the old days? I can't remember the details about the first few times I tried)

However, they do have subs, but it really doesn't give you a whole lot of perks. The game is RMT though, but $2.50 can go pretty far if you stretch it out and spend thrifty..... and def don't spend it all on gambling & sploders. lol

It's free basically, there is alot of stuff you can do totally free. But, if you start to like it, I highly suggest at least putting the minimum of $2.50 USD into your account. As of editing this post, $2.50 (actually $2.20 + 0.30 transaction fee) will buy you L$572 which can go pretty far if you want it to. Freebie shopping is pretty fun and there is some great stuff out there. From what I've seen, any single item costing over L$200 ea is a premium item (not game lingo, real world type premium) and any single item for L$1000 is for high rollers.... at least as far as clothing, skins, accessories, etc.

In all honesty though....... I've put about $40 worth of L$ in my account since I've started. But, I've uploaded probably several hundred textures (L$10 ea) and about 60 Animations (another L$10 ea). Plus, I've gambled quite a bit of it away and I still have some tied up in some assets I'm trying to get rid of. lol......... BASICALLY I blew it all. lol Except uploading the textures, about 75% of them I can use over and over. I still have about $1500 left though, and I'm spending thrifty with that.