Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Truth or Fluff?

stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

I've been hearing a lot about how this game has turned around on these forums.  I've always been a FF fan and have re-subbed to FFXI about 5 or 6 times since release, only to play for the first month.....maybe even only 2 or 3 weeks after reactivation.  I reeeeally want to love playing this game, I do like it and find it extremely in depth and I can see the enjoyment someone like me could get out of it, but my problem has always been being stuck by myslef (even in a Linkshell), trying to find some way to level. 

I'm starting to see a lot of threads on here saying how much friendlier the game has gotten, and how much easier it is to group up and actually accomplish things....but I've heard these things before, and while I havnt played in the past year, I'm wondering if these are really true statements or just fluff from experienced players?  I am wanting to resub, start fresh and try to get somewhere in the game.  Is it truly going to be "noob" friendly?  Have things really changed for the better in the past year or so?  I would really like some truthful answers to these questions....I know its easy to say things are easy for new players when your a vet with all this knowledge, equipment and cash accumulated over the years....but how is it really for a new player and is it too late to really enjoy the game say, before XIV comes out?

Thanks for all your replies!!

P.S. - I really dread the PlayOnline installation as well!  If I came back, I would want it to be worth it =)

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Yes it has changed for the better, you get 'a lot' more XP from easy and decent prey mobs whiel solo, plus the Fields of Valor book you can do every hr for additonal xp/gil/tabs solo in every outdoor zones, [2-3 book locs in each} and you can buy buffs like regen, refresh, protect, reraise, etc  from the books with those tabs.  With these books you can very effectively solo on almost every job at any lvl with minimal difficulty, though when you get to the higher lvls it can feel a bit slow, but its still fun getting all the drops on higher lvl mobs.

Then there is the Level Sync which allows you to group with anyone regardless of their lvl, from lvl 10 and higher.  Pretty much everywhere you go XP PTs under lvl 75 are always level sync'd for maximum xp.  There are also a ton of new NMs added in every zone that are on 1-1.5 hr timers that have some nice new drops that are easy to get.

If you wanna return and would like to with a very friendly and helpful LS new or returning player, then come check out ours.  Click my signature to visit our forums, then click the 'Info' button and read all about us, and should you like what you read, there are instructions on how to join us there also!  We do have Ventrilo and there are roughly 6-12 of us on almost every night talking and playing together...its great fun!

Cyas over there...

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

Thanks so much for your reply....sounds like I'll give it another shot.  I'll try to get everything installed ASAP, and since I'll be starting over anyway (I'm originally from Hades)  I'll start on your world this time.  I'd really like to be a part of a nice little group of friends that can help explain how all these new features work.  I plan on playing XIV as well, and I see that you plan to stick together on their as well...this would be a great way to meet some friends to stick with for a long time!

One other thing....the last collection I bought was the 2007...up till Treasures of Aht Urhgan.   Is there any need to buy the "Ultimate Collection" right away or is that content for the higher levels? 

Thanks again for your reply!!

• gthreenogthreeno Member Posts: 36

I was in the same boat as you Stringboi.

I wanted to love this game so much and each time I'd re-sub I'd last maybe 2-3 weeks by myself.

So once I heard about the new changes I resubbed last week. I am a level 10 RDM and level 11 WAR on Asura.

The FOV quests are a nice addition but the starter zones only give you about 300~ exp/gil. The gil is nice, at least. The buffs are great - aside from Protect/shell/reraise, you can also get food buffs, however they are about 3x expensive. 

The treasure chests don't drop nearly enough to cut down on downtime I've found, but it's nice when it happens. Sometimes you find one that gives you an HP +1 poition or ether +1, and you can save it for when you need. Most of the time I find remedies and status effect potions (anti-blind / anti-silence). Sometimes I find vendor junk. Occasionally I'll get an elixir and at one point I found a sword, which from what I understand is a very rare occurance. 

Other times the chest will be locked and you have to try to unlock it by figuring out the combination from the clues the chest gives you. At first I thought that was a neat little addition, but now I find it annoying. (you get 5 clues/attempts at guessing the combination. If you fail it disapears).

As far as the Level-Sync goes, well, I can't comment on it because I still haven't gotten a group. Sounds nice though. I met a real nice guy who let me in his linkshell but I haven't done anything grouping with them yet because regardless of level-sync they have no reason to come back to the zone I'm in. 

Also - the economy is still overly expensive. Lame.

Ultimately the new changes are a nice addition to the game. What I've said might have come off a bit negative, but I think that's mostly because I feel like they could be doing so much more - it NEEDS so much more. This game is incredibly difficult to get "into" and if they would spend just a bit more time and effort in making the initial parts of the game friendlier to legit newbies, then I feel the game would flourish, but I doubt that'll ever happen considering FFXIV is on its way.

But I suppose the experience could be totally different with a group of friends and good linkshell. I wouldn't know because I've never had that. Wish I did.

Anyways, good luck. ;)

Originally posted by stringboi

Thanks so much for your reply....sounds like I'll give it another shot.  I'll try to get everything installed ASAP, and since I'll be starting over anyway (I'm originally from Hades)  I'll start on your world this time.  I'd really like to be a part of a nice little group of friends that can help explain how all these new features work.  I plan on playing XIV as well, and I see that you plan to stick together on their as well...this would be a great way to meet some friends to stick with for a long time!

One other thing....the last collection I bought was the 2007...up till Treasures of Aht Urhgan.   Is there any need to buy the "Ultimate Collection" right away or is that content for the higher levels? 

Thanks again for your reply!!

Your current collection would be fine, however high-lvl isn't very far off if you put a good deal of time into the game on a regular basis so having Wings of the Goddess and the 3 mini-adventures will be nice tshould that time come.   Two of our most recent members from 1 month ago, 1 whom has never played before are both into their 40s now, and multiple jobs over 20 in less than a month.

Well actually having WotG is necessary should you want to play Dancer or Scholar, and I'll say right now that everyone if you like to explore and want an easier time getting around; is a neccessity since it has an instant-dance at lvl 25 that casts sneak & invis on you that costs nothing.  And since its a dance it won't alert magic-aggro enemies which is a great help in many areas you'll sneak through, so just stop in their safe room to re-dance...etc

Personally I'd suggest you repurchase the newest colelction so you have it all should you get that far, and the past zones are so cool to explore anyway...

Originally posted by gthreeno

So once I heard about the new changes I resubbed last week. I am a level 10 RDM and level 11 WAR on Asura.

But I suppose the experience could be totally different with a group of friends and good linkshell. I wouldn't know because I've never had that. Wish I did.

You are welcome to start over once again on Fenrir with us,{since you're not too far} a very friendly and helpful LS, and you'd even have Stringboi soonish and another member that will be starting this Fri to play with from lvl 1 together, for some low-level fun, and then come lvl 10-11+ you all can easily get some Dunes PTs going and more than likely several members of our LS will come down to Dunes and Qufim and fill out the PT as well.

Stop by our forums, read the 'Info' page and join us...you'll meet quite a few players; maybe even become good friends with and on most days we're in LS PTs and doing missions together and just having adventurous fun.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I 2nd the Fenrir suggestion. I joined up with these guys, and they've been nothing but nice and helpful.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• gthreenogthreeno Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Khrymson

You are welcome to start over once again on Fenrir with us,{since you're not too far} a very friendly and helpful LS, and you'd even have Stringboi soonish and another member that will be starting this Fri to play with from lvl 1 together, for some low-level fun, and then come lvl 10-11+ you all can easily get some Dunes PTs going and more than likely several members of our LS will come down to Dunes and Qufim and fill out the PT as well.

Stop by our forums, read the 'Info' page and join us...you'll meet quite a few players; maybe even become good friends with and on most days we're in LS PTs and doing missions together and just having adventurous fun.

Hey thanks.  I just might take you up on that. =)

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

I'm in...just started back up today and joined EE's LinkShell as well.  Looking forward to some fun!!

• uniektekniekuniektekniek Member UncommonPosts: 20

I came back to ffxi not to long ago, in phoneix i think the server was called. Wish it was more fun with helpful linkshell. I might try creating a character where you guys are at.

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

Glad you came to EE Stringboi :P What's your in game name?

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

Also - the economy is still overly expensive. Lame.

I actually disagree with this point. With the idea of the new add on scenario's a lot of former expensive items have been greatly reduced in price. For my server (carbuncle) this can be shown by just looking at the decline in price for a Hagun (the best ah-able gkatana). It droped from over 3mil to 1.5mil now. Also such items like Scorpion Harness are now around 80k (It's too bad the merc kris I want wont drop to 2mil!! ). All the best equip in the game is R/EX, with some exceptions.

If you find yourself needing armor that is going to kill your bank do yourself a favor and look up the mats and cost of mats, sometimes you'll be surprised at the amount of difference a price has between actual cost and selling price. Just shout for a crafter and buy the mats if it's going to save you some money.

Originally posted by AlysenMinase

Glad you came to EE Stringboi :P What's your in game name?

He has joined us with the name AiliazYou should visit our forums more often Alysen and join our conversations...its lots o fun!  I'll be resubbing on May 2nd though, so I'll be able to talk with everyone that doesn't use Vent more often too.