Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got a cheap copy of the game. Have a few questions before starting.

SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

I managed to buy a copy of this game for under $5 and am thinking about starting soon.  I have a few questions though.

1.  If I downloaded the 10 day free trial, could I play for 10 days and then activate my key on that account and keep my progress?  Or would I have to start over?

2.  What server is the most active?  I'm a fairly hardcore U.S. player and would want a server with hardcore guilds and a big population.  PvP is a must as well.

3.  Are there any classes that are broken/bugged?  I'm not asking "OMGZORZ WHATZ THE BEST CLASS LAWLS".  I just want to make sure I don't pick a gimped class that frustrates me enough to quit the game.

Thanks

Comments

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Sabiancym

I managed to buy a copy of this game for under $5 and am thinking about starting soon.  I have a few questions though.

1.  If I downloaded the 10 day free trial, could I play for 10 days and then activate my key on that account and keep my progress?  Or would I have to start over?

2.  What server is the most active?  I'm a fairly hardcore U.S. player and would want a server with hardcore guilds and a big population.  PvP is a must as well.

3.  Are there any classes that are broken/bugged?  I'm not asking "OMGZORZ WHATZ THE BEST CLASS LAWLS".  I just want to make sure I don't pick a gimped class that frustrates me enough to quit the game.

Thanks

1: yes, afaik. BUT....I wouldn't bother with the trial if you already own the game. The restrictions on trial accounts reall suck, and make it hard to get groups and gear.

2: You'll want the Brandywine server, without a doubt.

3: All of the classes are fun to play, IMO...no real gimpage. Tanks are always in demand for groups....healers aren't really that scarce, which is nice.

I used to play this game hardcore.....I've recently re-activated my account to give me something to dabble in at the moment since I'm so busy at work these days. Playing a Rune Keeper at the moment, which I'm really loving.

The community seems to have grown substantially on Brandywine....not having problems finding groups at any level range.

Have fun, man.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,966

I would also add that though Brandywine has a good population, Meneldor might have a more robust pvp (monster play) population.

Still, I would also add Brandywine as a vote for a fairly robust server.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

I will assume that the copy of LotRO you bought was a new copy, never openned.

Yes, you can start the free trial, and then at the end use your new copy with cd ky to authenticate your account.  *If* your copy is the Mines of Moria edition that also includes the original game (shadows of angmar) and so I do believe your cd key will be an auto upgrade for your account (I might be wrong here... perhaps the free trial is already MoM just not sure). The only real advantage to doing the free trial right now is that you would not have to go regular subscription until the ned of the first week of May... nice for the billing stuff for most Players. Free Trial in LotRO does have some goofy restrictions, you can always just start your account now.

As for a populated and PvP friendly server... I hear the Brandywine server has a considerable amount of PvMP going on a regular basis, and it has always had one of the highest populations. I usually stay on Elendilmir, but when I do run a character on Brandywine it is always a good experience. I can not say for certain if any other server would be good as I have no experience on them.

Classes that are bugged and broken... well in LotRO Players will tell you that almost all classes have *something* wrong, but this is mostly incorrect. Right now the one class that I know of that has issues is the Runekeeper class... there are several skills that are bugged and the Players were hoping for fixes soon... but as always it will be soonTM. Overall all classes work well so what class you choose is mostly up to what you prefer doing in a MMO.

I hope that answers your questions, welcome to Middle Earth and have fun :)

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• Naturalist99Naturalist99 Member Posts: 182

You can use a trial when you start, but as for PvP goes, just saying, if PvP is what your into in a game, LOTRO is out of the question, it's not that great of a PvP.

MMOs played: Too many
    Watch List: FFXIV, CoH:GR, GW2, SWTOR, TERA, Earthrise

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by Naturalist99

You can use a trial when you start, but as for PvP goes, just saying, if PvP is what your into in a game, LOTRO is out of the question, it's not that great of a PvP.

Naturalist99 is very correct... LotRO is *not* a PvP game, even though it has a unique variety of PvP called Player vs. Monster Player. Some LotRO Players swear by PvMP and have alot of fun with it, but many PvP Players I have read are not impressed with it.

If you are PvP fan... I mean a real PvP fan, then check out the threads on this site for recommendations for a good PvP MMO.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...