Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horrified at incredible misuse of anti-griefing tools, and why MO is not going to succeed.

cesogcesog Member Posts: 67

In mortal online, you have the ability to call in guards in cities which have enforced laws. This more or less autokills anybody who has done a crime.

After over 4 hours of cutting wood, i go to the bank, and I see a loot bag on the ground. I innocently pick it up, and see the person whos dead body i had just been looking in call the guards on me. Apparently, looting some bags inside a city are ok, but others make you a criminal. I was then forced to watch as he happily looted my wood, cursed me out, and told me to quit the game.

If he had tricked me into a corner, and murdered me, I would be sad, but not angry at him. He would have fairly stolen from me. The fact that he abused a glitch meant to HELP noobs, is what has made me exit mortal online for the last time.

If it was just one thing that was wrong, I would suck it up. Maybe even 2, or 3 major issues. Even if it is a beta, the client shouldn't crash every single time you log out, and you shouldn't be able to run for hours without any signs of where you are, and absolutely no way of ever knowing. But the list of tiny glitches, and incredible flaws, is endless.

Mortal Online is darkfall online with a crappier combat system, and worse gameplay.

[Mod Edit]

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

If you loot blue. . you are flagged grey.. . then the guards can be called.  You were going to take his stuff. . he took yours.

"Eventually" the guards will not be insta-kill but real moving guards.  The game is quite different from Darkfall.  I play both.  Darkfall is a lot more "finished" feeling but has some issues as well.

I agree that the game is not what people expect to see at release that is for sure- and yes. . the community will tell you to go play WoW.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

No trolling needed, we all know the game sucks, we tried to warn people not to spend there money on this pos, but people just need to find out on there own i guess.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Hmm, lets see, you misunderstood the game mechanics, made a mistake and got killed and looted.

Its only beta yet it caused you enough pain to quit the game.

Maybe these more hardcore PVP games aren't really for you?

(they're not for me either, btw)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Oh wow thats why you died. I was Rolos on there. I gave you some leather and wood lol. I was killed by a guard a few minutes later. But luckily the guy who called the guard gave me back my armor. I was like WHY DID I DIE.

Also if you come back on there I will get you some more leather.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

You should target the bag with tab before you loot it to see if the person is safe to loot, as it shows "____'s loot" with a shield next to their name showing if they are grey or blue or red. It isn't a glitch.

Also, given the title of the thread and the content, I'm pretty sure that the trolling already began, and stopped, at the OP.

• cesogcesog Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by Konner920

Oh wow thats why you died. I was Rolos on there. I gave you some leather and wood lol. I was killed by a guard a few minutes later. But luckily the guy who called the guard gave me back my armor. I was like WHY DID I DIE.

yeah :3. He purposely put that bag there. 

And kyleran-how can you figure out game mechanics when there is nothing to let you know. Also, the shading differences between a light blue and a darkish white bag are so miniscule, that unless you consciously target, look, and spend 10 seconds looking at it, you wont find out. After having looked at like...20 bags that day,  why would i expect that somebody  who was alive, and standing right next to the bank, would suddenly kill me.

and yes, the bag was empty

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

Guess he found a way to fill that bag lol.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

Originally posted by cesog

And kyleran-how can you figure out game mechanics when there is nothing to let you know. Also, the shading differences between a light blue and a darkish white bag are so miniscule, that unless you consciously target, look, and spend 10 seconds looking at it, you wont find out. After having looked at like...20 bags that day,  why would i expect that somebody  who was alive, and standing right next to the bank, would suddenly kill me.

Well, there must have been some way for you to have known, several people here have posted suggestions on how you should have handled the situation. (though maybe they found out the same way as you did?)

In EVE there's so much to know its almost impossible not to suffer some major loss due to a failure on the players part to understand the arcane rules at times.

We use it as a learning experience and don't make the same mistake again.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

ah. . so this gets to the point of your title. . I wondered.  The guy was in town and maybe did a 'suicide' so that newbs would loot him.  

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

In eve, when you loot a box, it usually tells you that you may be in danger :P But then again, eve is a better and finished game.

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

I see. I was killed because of a bag also. It had axes in it and someone took it and then i was just walking along then I was killed.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

trust me that just on of the many many broken features of this game.

i'v had people jump in front of my horse wile i was riding in town just so they would get knocked over and they could call the guards to kill me. the are tons of exploits like this as well as cheats that people can use becuase this game is really badly coded. this game is so unfinished.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

You died and lost your stash of white wood due to your own ignorance and greed, nothing else. Also white wood isn't worth squat and he probably only took it and burnt it to spite you for calling the guard on him.

Karma can be a real bitch!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• rwittmaackrwittmaack Member Posts: 79

Mortal Online is darkfall online with a crappier combat system, and worse gameplay.

darkfall RULEZ!

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

@OP one simple question--- You say you found a bag on the ground. Was the bag on the ground or on the "dead body i had just been looking in"?  If it was on the ground, that may have been a bug. If it was on the person, the system is working as intended.

Essentially, it sounds like you found a corpse, started rummaging through it's pockets, took the contents (criminal flag)  and had the guards called on you.  If it weren't for the ceiminal flag you receive on looting  people, then a group of people could suicide kill other players and have a designated looter than doesn't attack and doesn't get a criminal flag when he loots the victim (and the rest of the team)  The solution is simple : Don't loot corpses in town unless they are grey (criminal) or red(murderer).

You may have plenty of valid complaints about Mortal, but I daresay this not one of them.

Addendum:  Actually, if this is how you first learned about the criminal flagging system, you have more to complain about.   If that is the problem, your real complaint is the lack of an introduction to the rules at character creation or warning the first time you are about to break the law.  Either of those (or both) would be helpful, but getting killed by the guards after looting a corpse is "working as intended"

Originally posted by osmunda

@OP one simple question--- You say you found a bag on the ground. Was the bag on the ground or on the "dead body i had just been looking in"?  If it was on the ground, that may have been a bug. If it was on the person, the system is working as intended.

Essentially, it sounds like you found a corpse, started rummaging through it's pockets, took the contents (criminal flag)  and had the guards called on you.  If it weren't for the ceiminal flag you receive on looting  people, then a group of people could suicide kill other players and have a designated looter than doesn't attack and doesn't get a criminal flag when he loots the victim (and the rest of the team)  The solution is simple : Don't loot corpses in town unless they are grey (criminal) or red(murderer).

You may have plenty of valid complaints about Mortal, but I daresay this not one of them.

Addendum:  Actually, if this is how you first learned about the criminal flagging system, you have more to complain about.   If that is the problem, your real complaint is the lack of an introduction to the rules at character creation or warning the first time you are about to break the law.  Either of those (or both) would be helpful, but getting killed by the guards after looting a corpse is "working as intended"

You realize you should read the thread before posting? 

There was nothing in the bag, so I took nothing...I was flagged just for opening a bag on a dead body, which I had done multiple times before. I have been told the only difference is that it was blue, but I am still unaware of why there was any difference.

In response to Agricola1-I didn't call guards on him, so I have no idea what you are trying to say. 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

There was nothing in the bag, so I took nothing...I was flagged just for opening a bag on a dead body, which I had done multiple times before. I have been told the only difference is that it was blue, but I am still unaware of why there was any difference.

In response to Agricola1-I didn't call guards on him, so I have no idea what you are trying to say. 

Just wanted to let you know that you are dead-on in your original post.  Sadly, most of the people who are still playing MO at this point actually enjoy the behavior you describe.  Tricking people in order to call insta-kill guards accounts for a huge part of current gameplay.  

People will try and tell you that it's your fault for not understanding the game mechanics.  The vast majority of us simply realize that it is poor game mechanics that encourage or allow this stuff.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I have to agree with Kyleran. If you're not prepared to be exploited, hacked against, ganked, or other various behaviors that most gamers look down upon FFA PvP is not for you. I'm not saying you can't bring this to the attention of the devs, and hope someday they correct it. I'm saying you have to expect this type of behavior is these types of games.Some people are just bush league. Some games cater to those people more than others.

I guess we can thank those games for keeping the idiots out of the good ones

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

I did read the OP and the rest of the thread, but at times your descriptions are a little unclear and I was trying to pin down some of the specifics.  Was the loot bag "on the ground" as you say in the OP or "on a dead body" as you say in your response?  Did you " pick it up" as you posted in the OP or were you just "opening a bag on a dead body"?

If you picked up a bag that was on a dead body, that is stealing if the person was not a criminal or murderer. Granted, you are only stealing a bag, but the flagging system doesn't differentiate. If you were opening (or picking up) a bag that was lying on the ground, clearly that is well within your rights and shouldn't cause a criminal flag. If you were openening a bag on a dead body, I'm not sure what effect that has on flagging.  The snoop skill doesn't appply to dead bodies, so that may be considered looting, but the criminal flag might not apply until you actually remove an item from the body.

If my inferences are correct then you removed the bag from the dead body and got "guard-whacked" as a thief.  If that is the case, the system worked as intended.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

I did read the OP and the rest of the thread, but at times your descriptions are a little unclear and I was trying to pin down some of the specifics.  Was the loot bag "on the ground" as you say in the OP or "on a dead body" as you say in your response?  Did you " pick it up" as you posted in the OP or were you just "opening a bag on a dead body"?

If you picked up a bag that was on a dead body, that is stealing if the person was not a criminal or murderer. Granted, you are only stealing a bag, but the flagging system doesn't differentiate. If you were opening (or picking up) a bag that was lying on the ground, clearly that is well within your rights and shouldn't cause a criminal flag. If you were openening a bag on a dead body, I'm not sure what effect that has on flagging.  The snoop skill doesn't appply to dead bodies, so that may be considered looting, but the criminal flag might not apply until you actually remove an item from the body.

If my inferences are correct then you removed the bag from the dead body and got "guard-whacked" as a thief.  If that is the case, the system worked as intended.

I think the problem is that the mechanics encourage people to do things like leave empty bags on the floor so they can call the guards and insta-kill someone wandering around and taking a look at the game.  But that's a matter of opinion... some people enjoy using the system to find ways to grief folks.  It's been going on since the beginning with people trying to imitate thief chat by typing "Lextor has stolen something from you!" and then calling guards when the guy attacks them.

Some people find these mechanics enjoyable.  I say they are certainly "working as intended" but personally find them to be horrendous, but again... matter of opinion.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

I  know Pkers are annoying but more annoying are carebears. If you come here whining because you tried to pull a switch-a-roo and thought you could get around the ruleset then you deserved to get looted. Learn how to play the game.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

So basically, you just started and rage quit because you did a mistake. My friend, you better switch game right now because you wont survive in a game like MO. You have to press Tab to see if the bag is blue or grey before you loot it.

If you still think about giving it an other chance, do it, but please, do not go back posting in the forums everytime you failed and blame it on the game mechanism. Instead, ask for help in game and read some guides in the forum if you need someone to hold your hand.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Originally posted by RobertMunch

The guy who cussed you out in game and looted your items is probably another oversized fat kid with sausage fingers who was probably fapping while looting your dead body.  People have such prick mentalities this would be more than reason enough for me to not to touch this pile of swamp ass.

/Failed. Mortal online is not a grind type game so we are not fat. We have the time to go to the gym near where we live and go play MO to kill some noobs or some players that are not better then us.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

In eve, when you loot a box, it usually tells you that you may be in danger :P But then again, eve is a better and finished game.

Ok, I'll grant you this point.  But many EVE players will tell you horror stories about "features" in EVE that caused horrific losses because they were not so well documented or understood by the players. I recall one person lost about 4B ISK in ships because a POS kicked them out while he was offline and were all destroyed/stolen.

My point was, every game has flaws like this and I'm not saying MO couldn't be better in this regard, just saying if its going to really ruin your day when it happens perhaps playing in a beta version of the game isn't your best move?

I avoid beta's for the most part these days because I want to play a complete game, and in some cases have decided to wait 3 months or more post launch before I'll even consider giving it a go.