Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perhaps DX10 is overrated..?

ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,091

Taken from my personal blog:

With my old XFX video-card dead, and the new ASUS damaged on the DX10 part, I decided to look at the differences between DX9 and DX10, and what better game is there to do that than with Lord of the Rings online?

I started to wonder about the difference between DX9 and DX10 when I played Oblivion and found a very good looking smoke plume, one that was as good as a plume I found in Lord of the Rings online a while back when I played it under DX10. Since Oblivion is a DX9-only game, I thought to investigate the difference a bit. Below is the screenshot of the smoke plume in Oblivion.

Nice looking plume there, huh? I thought the one I saw in Lord of the Rings online was done with DX10, but I guess I was wrong.

So I started Lord of the Rings online in DX9, made a screenshot. Next I changed the configuration to DX10 and took a screenshot on the same spot. I intentionally showed the FPS rate on both of them.

image image

Lots of people think that Lord of the Rings online uses DX10 to make the water reflection look better. Well, I could be wrong, but the water reflection on both screenshots is of the same quality. So I looked further, and all I could see was a difference in the shadow. Where the DX9 screenshot shows hard black shadows, the DX10 screenshot shows more realistic shadows. This could be the only difference between DX9 and DX10. But looking at the distance, I personally thing the trees look better on the DX9 screenshot...

Well, the only difference..? There is a huge performance difference there as well. The DX9 screenshot shows a FPS of 54,7, while the DX10 screenshot shows a FPS of 40,1. That's an impressive 27% drop in FPS!!! And that with me being the only person there. Imagine what would happen is I was on onw of the most crowded spots in Lord of the Rings online: 21th Hall. I fear the drop would be even worse there...

Now I wonder if having a bit more realistic shadows in your game is worth a massive drop in FPS like that. Personally I'd say no, but there are a lot of hardcore gamers out there who'd disagree with me. For now, I'll stick with DX9. A lot of games I play don't support DX10 yet, and those all look good: Oblivion, Dragon Age: Origins and  Mass Effect 2. Even Lord of the Rings online looks still stunning in DX9! Perhaps if my cards are replaced (I hope the warranty allows them to be replaced) I might rethink DX10 in SLI again, but I'm still not too sure..

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Well, I'd suggest you stop worrying about DX10 and SLi entirely since DX11 and Tesselation are here now.  DX10 was a flop and overlooked by damn near every developer because of the Vista requirement, {which sucked} and everyone was content with XP being a far better OS at the time.  I don't think there was even a dozen games launched that supported DX10, and LOTRO in particular was not built for DX10, it was only an upgrade so I don't think the full features of DX10 were ever used.

Anyway, now that DX11 & Tesselation are here and Windows 7 which is the second coming of XP and better than the discovery of sliced bread, developers everywhere are jumping into creating DX11 games.

Watch this video to see the most impressive differences between DX10 and DX11, and choose the 1080p option, its like night and day.  The 2nd half of the video where it shows the polygon count in wireframe mode is staggering, and it requires little to next to no additional power to run Tesselation.  And yes Turbine have said that LOTRO will be getting a DX11 upgrade this year, and I so hope they reconfigure all their textures to support Tesselation.

I'm currently rebuilding my PC mainly for FFXIV, but also in advance of getting an nVidia 480 later this year when prices come down, and I'd love to have it ready once LOTRO DX11 launches...hehe  The new 470 and 480 cards by nVidia are by far powerful enough to run anything on max settings with just one alone, unless you are rich and plan to do a tri-monitor steroscopic 3D setup, which requires 2 GPUs...

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,091

The difference between DX10 and DX11 is immense. It looks almost as if DX11 comes close to that pixed 3D thing posted here a while back ( )

Too bad I don't have money (yet) for the 470/480 nVidia card. But when I have it, I most certainly will get either one. As for SLI, I'll leave it for now and stick to DX9 on my DX10 card ;)

Oh, one more thing, any word about framerates in DX11 compared with DX9/10?