Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you enjoy Mass Effect and Dragon Age?

Comments

• safetysafety Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by Garagnoir

Originally posted by safety

My only question here is: If you thought Origins was 'crap' why did you buy Awakenings? I liked DA but haven't gotten Awakenings because it, to me, just felt tacked on and I prefered to leave my character's story where it ended in Origins.

I bought Awakenings with Origins because they were part of a deal - 'Get one, buy the sequel cheap' - on amazon.com. I played Origins first, obviously, and was personally very disappointed. I then played Awakenings through to see if the sequel addressed the problems I experienced with the original. If anything, my unhappiness was compounded. While many people do like the original (I know I am in a minority), a lot more thought the sequel was poor, being very limited and unfinished.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

If your 'paused' and nobody else is... doesnt that mean their free to shoot/hit you as they please?

Originally posted by Sovrath

I know these games were very suffcessful financially but, for me, they had profound weaknesses. While the stories were strong, I did not like the linear path that yo had to take through them. I also found the landscapes which the game let you enjoy to be very limited. While combat was very accessible, it was also very simple, too simple for my tastes and a little clunky. I hope that Bioware have not taken too many aspects of their single player games and used them in this new SW MMO,

I loved Dragon Age but never played Mass Effect as I usually don't get into sci-fi games.

I think the combat was fine. If one played at the most difficult leve then there was quite a lot of micro managing which some people liked. I played on easy level without pauses (for the most part) so it was a constant frenetic fast paced blast.

Landscapes are limited becuase they are essentially sets. The game is not an open world just like one of the Doom games wold not be an open world.

Not every game is meant to have that type of game play.

I agree with you - and if you did like Dragon Age then you are going to have a tonne of fun with Mass Effect 1 & 2!

Originally posted by Moirae

Originally posted by Deadalon

I enjoyed both ME2 and DA.  But.. that doesn't mean I would like them in a MMO type of game.  There are quite a lot of annoying things in both these games that can become just too annoying to tolare.  The puzzle system in ME2 would be one - the resource gathering is another.  Both are ok in very limited quantities - but over a 1-2 year periods they would be pretty gamebreaking.  DA doesn't quite have those same features - but the combat sadly crows dull over time cause everything is exactly the same over and over and over again. 

Like I said - both top quality games.  But I would not pay a sub for them over time.

And we don't know that this MMO IS going to be like that other than a bunch of people freaking out over nothing with no proof.

For gods sakes, they've seen other MMO's too and it doesn't take a genius to see how its done. Just because a single player console game is linear and nothing more doesn't mean an MMO will be.

The reality is that they make good games. Give them a damned chance instead of making things up just to feed your own fears and hatreds.

Moirae, if this thread shows anything, it's that Bioware does not always know how to make good games anymore - there were as many posters who disliked or were indifferent ME and DA as those who loved it. Personally, I thought ME was 'meh' and Dragon Age (I bought Origins and Awakenings) was downright crap. So your 'reality' is, at least for me, utter fantasy.

And plenty of other companies which have 'seem other MMO's too', companies with great technical and content talent, have come out with crappy MMOs - perhaps you have heard of a little company called SOE or another called Mythic?

THAT is a matter of opinion, just like freaking out over and imaginary "its going to be nothing more than a theme park single player game even though that OPINION is based on nothing at all".

But the concept that good game software houses can make bad MMOs - and manage them badly too - is not an opinion. That's a stonecold fact. Let us hope that this is not the case in Bioware's handling of SWTOR.

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

I enjoyed both ME2 and DA.  But.. that doesn't mean I would like them in a MMO type of game.  There are quite a lot of annoying things in both these games that can become just too annoying to tolare.  The puzzle system in ME2 would be one - the resource gathering is another.  Both are ok in very limited quantities - but over a 1-2 year periods they would be pretty gamebreaking.  DA doesn't quite have those same features - but the combat sadly crows dull over time cause everything is exactly the same over and over and over again. 

Like I said - both top quality games.  But I would not pay a sub for them over time.

And we don't know that this MMO IS going to be like that other than a bunch of people freaking out over nothing with no proof.

For gods sakes, they've seen other MMO's too and it doesn't take a genius to see how its done. Just because a single player console game is linear and nothing more doesn't mean an MMO will be.

The reality is that they make good games. Give them a damned chance instead of making things up just to feed your own fears and hatreds.

Moirae, if this thread shows anything, it's that Bioware does not always know how to make good games anymore - there were as many posters who disliked or were indifferent ME and DA as those who loved it. Personally, I thought ME was 'meh' and Dragon Age (I bought Origins and Awakenings) was downright crap. So your 'reality' is, at least for me, utter fantasy.

And plenty of other companies which have 'seem other MMO's too', companies with great technical and content talent, have come out with crappy MMOs - perhaps you have heard of a little company called SOE or another called Mythic?

1) The overwhelming response to this thread was that DA and ME were well received. You're reading a different thread if you believe otherwise, or simply choosing to ignore the facts.

2) Neither SOE nor Mythic have the pedigree Bioware does, so it's pointless to compare them. Unless you have an agenda. Do you?

Originally posted by uohaloran

You can have a turn based MMO with a live overworld. Just look at Atlantica Online.

It wouldn't really matter, though. Dragon Age has very few new and interesting game mechanics that would warrant making an MMO over. It's general fantasy stuff.

So what. EQ2 is fantasy, so is WoW, so is LoTRO. Ridiculous argument that an MMO shouldn't be made of it.

Uh, no it isn't. There are enough fantasy games being churned out. You pretty much just validated my point.

Mechanic wise, the game doesn't have anything new to offer and it's pretty generic setting wise.

Except that THIS game isn't fantasy, its science fiction, so what is your argument exactly?

Did you ignore the thread title and the discussion going on within?

You started qualms with me, so bug off.

That's nice. He destroys your point and you get defensive.

I think you answered my agenda question.

No, I don't have an agenda.

And the second post you answered was not made by me but by someone else.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Mass Effect and Dragon age were the best Rpgs to release since Oblivion.

If Oblivion never released I would say since Morrowind. yeah their fucking flawless.

Being a free roam or linear game shouldnt have an affect on someones opinion of a game. you already know Bioware does the linear epic story thing like and bethesda does the free roam thing.

If linearity affects your opinion of a game you should have never bothered to play the games.

Stick to Oblivion, Fallout 3 or one of the other free roam rpgs.

Edit actually read more than two lines this time... Combat is stellar in DA and ME2... ME is good but vastly improved in the sequal. I have no issue with the worlds themselves.  I consider all three games as close to flawless as an rpg can get.

^This^

Not much to add to it really.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Garagnoir

Originally posted by DAS1337

I'm disappointed in the Dragon Age story as well, like some other posters have said.  The fact that the expansion isn't even a real continuence of the original story doesn't make sense to me initially.

Then I realized what happened.  Bioware has a great history of making great games with great stories to go with them.  While nearing the completion of Mass Effect, EA swooped in and bought them. (This is a very sad day for me)  Then they started working on Dragon Age.  Bioware never gave into the DLC stuff.  They didn't leave out content that should be in the game so they could make a quick buck.  EA set time restraints and made decisions for Bioware.  I can't prove it, but we all know EA's reputation don't we?

Here's an example for people who played throught Origins.  After completing the DLC for the Wardens Keep,  why does the Avernus character vanish?  He's supposedly still in his tower working on ways to enhance the joining ritual to make the blood powers stronger.  He claims he will continue his research and alert you on any breakthroughs.  He also says he feels he is very close to a breakthrough.  Wouldn't it seem logical to have had this in the original story and added DLC to continue the Avernus research and fully utilize that opportunity to create additional content?  Instead, you are left with nothing else.  You can't even enter the keep after purging it of demons after that.

Then there's the obviousl example of the expansion that just throws you out of Ferelden and there is no connect with the Original story.  It's like EA told Bioware that they have to break the parts up to make an extra buck.  Money trumps everything.  Creative innovation is no longer the goal.  The goal is how much money can be made in the quickest amount of time.

Aye, I can't fault your logic there. Here's to hoping that, along with the big budget, EA gives Bioware the time and freedom it needs to make the game great rather than forcing them to release a half finshed product like has been the case with so many other AAA MMOs as of late.

That's why I feel the big corporations are killing the genre rather than expanding it. They all want to rush games out and make money off of hype and box sales rather than allowing the developers to create a game that people are going to stick with and enjoy for more than a month or two.

Unofortunately, EA does not have a good reputation at all for allowing its partners and subsidaries 'the time and freedom [they] need to make the game great '. There's only one other player in the games industry which has a worse reputation - Lucas Arts.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

But the concept that good game software houses can make bad MMOs - and manage them badly too - is not an opinion. That's a stonecold fact. Let us hope that this is not the case in Bioware's handling of SWTOR.

As if we're not all aware of this? Anything can turn out bad no matter who makes, writes or paints it. Anyone expecting perfection is off their rocker, as it's impossible for a game to be perfect especially in the MMO world.

The problem is half the time people can not discern the difference between a bad game and a game that doesn't appeal to their tastes. Technically speaking Bioware does an admirable job of offering a well put together product. They have a natural ability to tell a good story which is always a plus in my book. They also do a decent job of fixing issues when they arise, rather than some companies who let issues carry on un-patched, Creative Assembly I'm looking at you.

We'll see but I'm sure there will be quite a few people mouthing off that TOR sucks blah, blah, blah, simply because it's not for them.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

ME 1 and 2 are among my favorite games of all time. Great combat, fantastic characters, good story, etc. Still a little room for improvement here and there, but pretty damn close to perfection.

Dragon Age... not so much. The differing origin stories are cool, and some of the characters are decent, but combat on the X360 version is just shit. The piss-poor party AI makes it far more difficult than it should be, reducing combat on any mode but easy to a potion-chugging contest. When combined with the inability to pause and issue individual orders and the lack of a tactical view (REALLY? They couldn't do this WHY?) makes combat incredibly irritating and a detriment to the game. I often found myself swearing in frustration every time a battle started, as I just wanted to get back to the story.

I don't regret buying it, but I'm not spending a dime on DLC or the expansion. Bioware needs to immediately fire the morons who converted it to the 360. I'm sure the PC version is better, but my PC isn't hefty enough to run it, and I've no inclination to buy the game a second time.

Still looking forward to SWTOR though.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Originally posted by DAS1337

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Dragon Age was decent but I began to feel bored in the end.

ME 2 was so amazing, that right after I finished it, I started a new game and finished it in few days again. Along with ME1, best RPG ever

Don't make unsubstantiated statements.  Modern RPG?  Possibly.  I'm sorry, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 along with the expansions was by far the best story that I've ever seen in a video game.  This is only my opinion, but I'm not claiming it as fact like you are.  Mass Effect, while a decent story.. is nothing but a fight to save the universe shooter that's been done before numerous times in other games.

Should I write in red caps "What Ive said is my opinion, no need to argue" every time?

I played BG, Fallout, NWN, KoTOR, Gothics, Oblivion and lots of other RPGs, nothing impressed me more then ME2

• DeadalonDeadalon Member Posts: 79

I think that the combat gameplay in DA is just not good enough considering the options that you have with so high variety of core classes.  But that also limits your changes of setting up your kind of group.

Gameplay in ME2 was high class.  It had a good balance of talk and fight.  Sometimes you get bored of the endless combat crap and sometimes you get tired of the cut scenes.  ME2 managed to get those two things balanced.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

I have yet to play a Bioware Game I did not enjoy, and I currently have them all installed on my PC.

I still go back and play NWN or Kotor now and then.....

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Utter fantasy? Let me be the first to welcome you to reality.

Mass Effect (360)

Metacritic 91

User Score 8.7

Mass Effect (PC)

Metacritic 89

User Score 8.4

Mass Effect 2 (360)

Metacritic 96

User Score 9.0

Mass Effect 2 (PC)

Metacritic 94

User Score 8.9

Dragon Age: Origins (360)

Metacritic 86

User Score 7.3

Dragon Age: Origins (PS3)

Metacritic 87

User Score 7.5

Dragon Age: Origins (PC)

Metacritic 91

User Score 8.4

Dragon Age: Origins Awakening (360)

Metacritic 79

User Score 8.5

Dragon Age: Origins Awakening (PS3)

Metacritic 82

User Score 7.2

Dragon Age: Origins Awakening (PC)

Metacritic 88

User Score 7.7

All scores are a combination of reviews into one score, both good and bad. The good out weights the bad apparently.

You're welcome.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by Kothoses

I have yet to play a Bioware Game I did not enjoy, and I currently have them all installed on my PC.

I still go back and play NWN or Kotor now and then.....

I pretty much agree though I can say that I never finished NWN. I have, however, played KoToR over a dozen times and still occasionally go back to it. In fact, I got my husband into Bioware games with Dragon Age's release. And now he LOVES them and thinks they're the best game company in the world.

Last week, I ordered KoToR for Xbox. You have to play it with the converter but he loves it, though he does say its missing a few things but mostly because its obviously that all these other excellent games started with this one.

Heh, I'm having to MAKE myself stay away from it. Its still my favorite game of all time.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I like them both but something I noticed on just about every Bioware game since Baldurs Gate is their games always seem far too short and a bit too linear for my taste, but I tend to think that has more to do with my desire to actually spend more time in that particular world than a great flaw on their part.  I sometimes get the same feeling playing Final Fantasy games which I know are pretty long.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I enjoyed both games a lot. More so than any mmo I've played in the past 5 years. If you had to push me I would say I enjoyed ME2 a bit better than Dragon Age but as I said both are great games. Probably the only game that I have been disappointed in made by Bioware was Jade Empire.

I would love for Mass Effects 2 combat to be in TOR but as said before, you can't really get around the pause feature. I just hope that the combat in TOR is as engaging as in mass effect.

• Specs_mmoSpecs_mmo Member Posts: 38

I have to agree with the original poster.

First off, Both ME2 and DAO were far too linear.

I felt no freedom roaming around and I knew I had to follow the dots in order to advance the story.

Secondly, and probably the most annoying, the dialogue bordered on puch me in the face tedious!

I repeatedly found myself not giving a crap about what they say because the characters just go on and on. Judging by the SW KOTR videos (specifically the "Bouynty Hunter" mission clip) I have a bad feeling it's going to be a repeat of this.

• PantheosPantheos Member UncommonPosts: 56

I rather enjoyed Dragon Age and Awakenings. I have ME1 but I can't get into the game or the story for 1 reason: I hate the game play.

If you're going to make it a shooter, then don't block off so much of the screen with the main character. The camera controls (If they even have any) are just... no, I did not like the gameplay in ME1 so didn't really give the game a chance.

Is it a good game? Quite possibly. Not to my taste's though.

Will SWToR be to my tastes? I hope so, Bioware tends to make quality games.

Anyways.. Planescape > Baldur's Gate imho.

*ducks and runs*

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by Specs_mmo

I have to agree with the original poster.

First off, Both ME2 and DAO were far too linear.

I felt no freedom roaming around and I knew I had to follow the dots in order to advance the story.

Secondly, and probably the most annoying, the dialogue bordered on puch me in the face tedious!

I repeatedly found myself not giving a crap about what they say because the characters just go on and on. Judging by the SW KOTR videos (specifically the "Bouynty Hunter" mission clip) I have a bad feeling it's going to be a repeat of this.

You just described every single Bioware game.  Apparenlty they are not your cup of tea.  Others, like me, love them.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

Its true the games do suffer a high degree of linearity, hard to imagine how that will work in an MMO, but imo, its one of the reasons why DA:O was so boring - i dont have the patience to work through those kinds of games tbh, one of the reasons i prefer MMO's to single player games is because they dont (usually) try to railroad you through a limited set of options, if those options are equally as bad then its the ogres choice, and if a game isnt fun to play, then why play it? one of the reasons too why i see TOR as being a Niche game, while WoW certainly has a degree of linearity and 'hand holding' from what i've read so far, TOR will be doing much the same, if on more 'defined' scale, some will obviously like it, but i dont see it having mass appeal.

• lagerchobglagerchobg Member UncommonPosts: 203

Maybe the best games ever. Enjoyed them both quite a lot and i do not regret paying for them.

• GrungiGrungi Member Posts: 86

Loved 'em. Mass Effect especially.

I felt that it had better characters. I've a tendancy to play evil/renegade in games where I have the opportunity, but in Mass Effect I was surprised to find that I didn't WANT to be mean to some of my squadmates. I LIKED them and it just didn't feel right. I preferred the combat changes in ME2 as well.

I enjoyed Dragon Age Origins/Awakenings too, but not as much. Perhaps as I prefer sci-fi to fantasy.

• BannneBannne Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Mass Effect and Dragon age were the best Rpgs to release since Oblivion.

If Oblivion never released I would say since Morrowind. yeah their fucking flawless.

Being a free roam or linear game shouldnt have an affect on someones opinion of a game. you already know Bioware does the linear epic story thing like and bethesda does the free roam thing.

If linearity affects your opinion of a game you should have never bothered to play the games.

Stick to Oblivion, Fallout 3 or one of the other free roam rpgs.

Edit actually read more than two lines this time... Combat is stellar in DA and ME2... ME is good but vastly improved in the sequal. I have no issue with the worlds themselves.  I consider all three games as close to flawless as an rpg can get.

That's a load of bullshit in my opinion,for a start some would say that The Witcher Enhanced Edition walks all over both those games in graphics and story,hell it even uses the same graphic engine.

BioWare games are the same freaking boring movie games as usual,not since BG1-2 or NWN 1 have they bought out anything great IMO. KOTOR was okay but that's all it was,just okay.

Again, The Witcher Enhanced Edition wipes the floor for story and game chaging options.

BioWare are living on their passed rep that's why sites like these suck up to them when really they are not the dev team they were at the start.

Play one and you have played them all.

When this baby come out we will have a new king of the RPG hill.

No freaking BioWare tree hugger elves in this, real killers and a real mature RPG not like kiddy Dragon Age Origins.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-the-witcher/63501

Banne, i would have to agree, though, i havent played those games yet (they do look good though...) as much as i like the graphics in the more modern Bioware games, they lack a lot in terms of gameplay, whether its because of their linearity or because of the pace of the gameplay, probably both, all i know is that they lack a lot of the things i would normally associate with a Bioware game.

• BannneBannne Member Posts: 244

I will say it again. Bioware make the most linear games out there,this is fact. They are boxed off games where you are pushed along the same boring path. Now they can spout on about SWTOR having open worlds but until i see it or hear it from a beta leaker(make no mistake their will be plenty of leaks) i don't believe a word they say.

Story story story, yes we freaking know it has 200 hours for each toon and is story driven,this doesn't mean shit to a lot of mmorpg gamers who just want to get to top level as soon a possible. It might be a lot to the bioware fanboys/girls but many  wont even read it or bother to listen.

Show us these open vast worlds with no barriers or mountains blocking your way,show us these worlds with no zones that the fanboys/girls seem to think our there.

Don't show me a freaking screenshot or a vid saying "look thier is loads of open space" that's just bullshit. BioWare are new to this mmorpg scene,if they think that they can hide it all till the last moment then they are wrong,the leakers will expose them for telling the truth or being a bunch of idiots for trying to pull the woOl over mmorpg gamers eyes.

We have seen to many so called DEV teams spounting on about their next gen game but not one of them has come up with the goods.