Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sick and tired of the I quit threads...

Comments

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by Pcgamer81

Yes STO had horrible launch but it's only been few months since launch. they are already adding alot content after such short period. i do agree it's short on gameplay hours but it will get better with age. how long did it take city of heroes to get deep content more then 3 months thats for sure. let the game grow and if it's still bad in early 2011 then i can understand the compliants but folks it's only been 3 months relax and see where the game goes.

sure since it's only about 60% of a game, charge 60% of a full time sub. Once it gets up to where it should be then start charging full sub rates.

• maxkill42maxkill42 Member UncommonPosts: 94

thats the problem 3 months after launch is too late..... basicly consider the game a failure

They could of just held the launch off for 3 months

• championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by bstiff

sure since it's only about 60% of a game, charge 60% of a full time sub. Once it gets up to where it should be then start charging full sub rates.

That calculation makes about as much as saying "since other MMOs contain 0% Star Trek they should charge 0% of STO's sub price. "   In other words, what kind of nonsense is "60%" of a game, when STO is unique, it is the only Star Trek MMO, it is modern and different then all of the same old tired fantasy clones.  

Also, very few single player games have 60-80 hours of content these days, sad to say.   It's more common to find single player games for $50 that have only 6-8 hours of gameplay.   Compared to these games STO is lengthy and affordable.   (Note that greed will crash the industry in a few years and then we will have a reset).  

Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by championsFan

That calculation makes about as much as saying "since other MMOs contain 0% Star Trek they should charge 0% of STO's sub price. "   In other words, what kind of nonsense is "60%" of a game, when STO is unique, it is the only Star Trek MMO, it is modern and different then all of the same old tired fantasy clones.  

I disagree. The game isn't Star Trek, in any way other than sound effects and skin, that's the basis of much of the complaints CF.

Modern and different? You have your tank, support, DPS and healer classes and skills same as every single fantasy MMO since time immemorial. Seriously.

EDIT: Thanks CF.image

• Pcgamer81Pcgamer81 Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by maxkill42

thats the problem 3 months after launch is too late..... basicly consider the game a failure

They could of just held the launch off for 3 months

i disagree to be honest i have seen mmo's struggle just as long and become decent mmo. by no means is 3 months to late sorry to tell you. and if star wars galaxies can survive 4 years with NGE then STO only 3 months old with alot room to grow has plenty gas to become something. will star trek online recover i think it could but it may fall hard like star wars galaxies or matrix online  to early to judge .

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Die_Scream

I disagree. The game isn't Star Trek, in any way other than sound effects and skin, that's the basis of much of the complaints CF.

Modern and different? You have your tank, support, DPS and healer classes and skills same as every single fantasy MMO since time immortal. Seriously.

Not to mention that the game mechanics are not 'modern nor different.'

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419

I do agree that the game doesn't do a good job of capturing Trek at its best, but saying "it's not Trek" is hyperbole.   At worst it is just a lower quality pulp form of Trek,  like what is found in most Trek paperback novels.   But Trek is too diverse of a label to say "it's not Trek."  As a TNG era fan, to me the TOS is barely Trek, there are undeniable moments, but a lot of TOS is pulpy the same way STO is, IMO.   My only point is that they are both Trek by definition.   I went to the recent movie but I got bored in a few minutes (too hollywood), it's not my Trek but it is Trek I guess.  

Modern and different? You have your tank, support, DPS and healer classes and skills same as every single fantasy MMO since time immortal. Seriously.

Yeah, I don't like STO so I was just using my Champions rhetoric.  This is slightly valid because the single shard and the @handle system are modern.  Also the engine is quite responsive, but STO is too slow to showcase this, so that doesn't work.  The graphics are modern, and some of the art is pretty good actually.  Also the bridge officers are at least somewhat innovative.   But none of those are good reasons to choose the game.........ugh....it's sooo bad.......poor ST fans who are forced to play it, I don't know how they can do it.   

Edit: I recommend "since time immemorial." 

Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.

• PermianPermian Member CommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by Isturi

I just recently bought STO for 29.99 and I play it as a casual MMO and I love it oh by the way I see other player on STO when I play so it cant be that bad, I am just sick and tired of ppl posting I quit STO just to make STO look bad well so what that is your OPIONION if you dont like the game dont play. I find it rather relaxing and enertaining for my money

THANK YOU STO for a very good casual game.

Every one of those "I Quit" threads was started by someone who had the same opinion about STO as you did in the first few hours of play. Please go play STO for a little bit longer than an hour or two. You may be one of those rare people that like the end level game content and think the game is worth a subscription.

I do agree that the game doesn't do a good job of capturing Trek at its best, but saying "it's not Trek" is hyperbole.   At worst it is just a lower quality pulp form of Trek,  like what is found in most Trek paperback novels.   But Trek is too diverse of a label to say "it's not Trek."  As a TNG era fan, to me the TOS is barely Trek, there are undeniable moments, but a lot of TOS is pulpy the same way STO is, IMO.   My only point is that they are both Trek by definition.   I went to the recent movie but I got bored in a few minutes (too hollywood), it's not my Trek but it is Trek I guess.  

Yeah, I don't like STO so I was just using my Champions rhetoric.  This is slightly valid because the single shard and the @handle system are modern.  Also the engine is quite responsive, but STO is too slow to showcase this, so that doesn't work.  The graphics are modern, and some of the art is pretty good actually.  Also the bridge officers are at least somewhat innovative.   But none of those are good reasons to choose the game.........ugh....it's sooo bad.......poor ST fans who are forced to play it, I don't know how they can do it.   

Edit: I recommend "since time immemorial." 

If saying it's not Trek is Hyperbole, then you'll find most complainers and quitters would cite this in the top three reasons. So many people seem to be engaging in hyperbole. Your view may be different, but "this is nothing like Star Trek" is probably the most constant complaint since launch. Kill Jem Hadar(sp?) eggs, slaughtering the patrons in the Ferengi bar, etc.

Some things ring true, as in foundation of any ST series (though loose in the OS) is the Prime Directive.

In STO, it wasn't only abandoned, but a complete 180 seems to have taken place. Slaughter, genocide, mass murder, Star Fleet has changed.image

Oh, yes, you caught me, sad to say, I generally try to spell well when I post, I shoulda Googled that!image

Wish the site would enter the '90's and add spell check, maybe I havent found it.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

It will get old fast.  Most people enjoyed it initialy(I personally didnt) and that enjoyment went away very fast.

• ArtymasArtymas Member Posts: 38

I just recently bought STO for 29.99 and I play it as a casual MMO and I love it oh by the way I see other player on STO when I play so it cant be that bad, I am just sick and tired of ppl posting I quit STO just to make STO look bad well so what that is your OPIONION if you dont like the game dont play. I find it rather relaxing and enertaining for my money

i also play and like STO but i play it because i like it, personally i dont care if someone continues post on whatever forums that they are playing or quiting, it is their opinion, its called freedom of speech.  And personally my world isnt going to end due to someone quiting or not, but everyone does have a right to voice their opinion.

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

This guy is clueless.It is obviously a troll since no one would really think this was a good thread idea.

Originally posted by Shatter30

It will get old fast.  Most people enjoyed it initialy(I personally didnt) and that enjoyment went away very fast.

now i think it will get old fast if people plays it like 24/7, personally i play it ever other day so i dont get burnt out and plus i also have another game to play or i may be wrong it just may not be a game that some will not like.  But when i want to play it again i just hop back on it play some more and so on.

Originally posted by Artymas

i also play and like STO but i play it because i like it, personally i dont care if someone continues post on whatever forums that they are playing or quiting, it is their opinion, its called freedom of speech.  And personally my world isnt going to end due to someone quiting or not, but everyone does have a right to voice their opinion.

This is the way to support a game and perfectly ride the line.

Good post.image

Good post.image

thankyou, i myself am a lifetime subscription holder and i admit sometimes i do get little burnt out on the game, so that is why im choosing my second MMO to occupy my time.  But overall I am still enjoying the game and i do believe it does have potential to become a great game.

Good post.image

thankyou, i myself am a lifetime subscription holder and i admit sometimes i do get little burnt out on the game, so that is why im choosing my second MMO to occupy my time.  But overall I am still enjoying the game and i do believe it does have potential to become a great game.

I felt the same way, but then I realised this engine, this method of service cannot make a decent MMO no matter the art, the story, or animation. It's a broken up community, constant load screens..the generic, repetative missions, lackluster loot. You've heard the complaints.

If you enjoy quality themepark MMOs, I suggest LOTRO as a second, if you havent tried it.

Good post.image

I felt the same way, but then I realised this engine, this method of service cannot make a decent MMO no matter the art, the story, or animation. It's a broken up community, constant load screens..the generic, repetative missions, lackluster loot. You've heard the complaints.

If you enjoy quality themepark MMOs, I suggest LOTRO as a second, if you havent tried it.

i tried it after it launched, it was ok but it seemed like i wasnt really having fun with it, idk y but what i am looking toward is myabe a possible trip back to DAOC lol or even SWG idk yet.  How is LOTRO doing now these days, but what i will do is do the research on other MMOs to weigh my options.

i tried it after it launched, it was ok but it seemed like i wasnt really having fun with it, idk y but what i am looking toward is myabe a possible trip back to DAOC lol or even SWG idk yet.  How is LOTRO doing now these days, but what i will do is do the research on other MMOs to weigh my options.

It's expanded huge since you left, I got the latest version with all expansions for under $20 with the free month.

I log in, and have trouble deciding what to do. It's got it all, as far as themepark MMOs go. Plus, DX11 is coming soon!

The 14 day passes are easy to find.

EDIT: Two things, LOTRO is the opposite of STO (good). 2nd, If you want good meaningful PvP, LOTRO won't be your game, beautiful as it is. It's the best PvE MMO on the market IMO.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Been ahwile since I had a epic thread on mmorpg thank you.image

Been ahwile since I had a epic thread on mmorpg thank you.image

Epic? Bah!

When I was a kid we walked 18 pages uphill just for the chance to be flamed!

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Also, very few single player games have 60-80 hours of content these days, sad to say.   It's more common to find single player games for $50 that have only 6-8 hours of gameplay.   Compared to these games STO is lengthy and affordable.   (Note that greed will crash the industry in a few years and then we will have a reset).  

show me where I said its only 60% star trek and your arguement may make sense. Most who have played MMO's before feel STO is not worth the full sub price that others charge,

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by junzo316

Originally posted by Remains

Cant see how it would be so bad..? If you like the game and dont feel that theres any shortage of people, then why does it matter? You shouldnt spend much time on the forums under those circumstances, right?

And wasnt "I quit threads" forbidden on the forums, or have the moderators gotten sloppy lately?

I think all the forum moderators were let go along with the customer support team.

Shame, they were doing such a spectacular job too.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

The "I quit" threads are very important, since pretty much every one has something important to say about the shortcomings of the game.

Obviously Cryptic stifles those threads because they want to keep lying to people in a vain attempt to "look successful" and maybe get more unwitting victims. Those that don't already know just what a rushed out piece of crap this mmo really is.  The thing is though, their desperate attempts to stifle those threads speaks way louder about the state of the game than any amount of I quit threads do. Which is just more evidence of what an amateurish atmosphere prevails at Cryptic. They don't even know how to do the community thing properly. The moves they're making are classic moves companies running desperate always seem to make.

This game deserves to die. Cryptic deserves to be brought down to it's knees. Simple as that. They've ripped off thousands of people. Haven't we mmo gamers had enough after the debacles of the last few years? These companies need to be sent a clear message that rushing out unfinished crap isn't going to pay off for them.  They need to know that they can't get us to pay for initial development. That's exactly what cryptic is trying to do with STO. They released a mmo that wasn't anywhere near a state a mmo should have been released in, and now are telling people if they ever want to see anything resembling a real mmo they have to continue subscribing. Cryptic was told clearly by beta testers that the game was no where near ready to be released, and like every other common sense thing they were told, it was ignored.

So you don't like "I quit" threads? Too fricken bad. I hope more and more people keep posting them daily. Even if it's for nothing else other than to warn others off wasting their money on this game.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by Hagonbok

The "I quit" threads are very important, since pretty much every one has something important to say about the shortcomings of the game.

Obviously Cryptic stifles those threads because they want to keep lying to people in a vain attempt to "look successful" and maybe get more unwitting victims. Those that don't already know just what a rushed out piece of crap this mmo really is.  The thing is though, their desperate attempts to stifle those threads speaks way louder about the state of the game than any amount of I quit threads do. Which is just more evidence of what an amateurish atmosphere prevails at Cryptic. They don't even know how to do the community thing properly. The moves they're making are classic moves companies running desperate always seem to make.

This game deserves to die. Cryptic deserves to be brought down to it's knees. Simple as that. They've ripped off thousands of people. Haven't we mmo gamers had enough after the debacles of the last few years? These companies need to be sent a clear message that rushing out unfinished crap isn't going to pay off for them.  They need to know that they can't get us to pay for initial development. That's exactly what cryptic is trying to do with STO. They released a mmo that wasn't anywhere near a state a mmo should have been released in, and now are telling people if they ever want to see anything resembling a real mmo they have to continue subscribing. Cryptic was told clearly by beta testers that the game was no where near ready to be released, and like every other common sense thing they were told, it was ignored.

So you don't like "I quit" threads? Too fricken bad. I hope more and more people keep posting them daily. Even if it's for nothing else other than to warn others off wasting their money on this game.

You are a perfect example why I QUIT threads offer nothing constructive. Just paragraphs after paragraphs of whining.

This game deserve to die... Cryptic deserves to be brough down to its knees... blah..blah... its like reading a bad and corny script of some B grade super hero movie.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

I quit !