Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New combat video

12346»

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

It's a simple concept really.

The time I spend waxing obnoxious about a game I'm not too interested in playing is time I could better spend playing games I am interested in (like LotRO for example).

Frankly I'm amazed that very few people think this way, and instead feel the need to share their opinions with people who aren't going to care, about a subject they don't care too strongly about themselves, and that will ultimately have no impact of consequence on anything.

That's just bizarre to me. I'd rather be gaming.

The problem is, that there are no games to play. XIV is at least 6 months away, I'm long done with XI, other MMO's suck. I'm playing Demon's Souls right now though, just took a break to see what people are talking about here.

Saying people don't care about my opinion is really odd, since they still feel the need to argue about it with me, you included. If they don't care why bother? Just ignore me if you don't care.

If I have something better to do I sure as hell won't be hanging around here. Demons Souls is kicking my ass so yah, this is a good way to lower my blood pressure~

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by Hyanmen

The time I spend waxing obnoxious about a game I'm not too interested in playing is time I could better spend playing games I am interested in (like LotRO for example).

Frankly I'm amazed that very few people think this way, and instead feel the need to share their opinions with people who aren't going to care, about a subject they don't care too strongly about themselves, and that will ultimately have no impact of consequence on anything.

The problem is, that there are no games to play. XIV is at least 6 months away, I'm long done with XI, other MMO's suck. I'm playing Demon's Souls right now though, just took a break to see what people are talking about here.

Saying people don't care about my opinion is really odd, since they still feel the need to argue about it with me, you included. If they don't care why bother? Just ignore me if you don't care.

If I have something better to do I sure as hell won't be hanging around here. Demons Souls is kicking my ass so yah, this is a good way to lower my blood pressure~

Demon's Souls is pure evil, I suggest you burn it!

/hijack

The combat has a lot of potential, IMO, but it looks like ti still needs a good bit of tweaking. I like the focus on large encounters and making your toon feel like a badass from the get go, and like the creative attacks they came up with, like the BH's snare, pull and shoot move. If they can't get it fluid though, I may have to pass.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by skeaser

/hijack
    The combat has a lot of potential, IMO, but it looks like ti still needs a good bit of tweaking. I like the focus on large encounters and making your toon feel like a badass from the get go, and like the creative attacks they came up with, like the BH's snare, pull and shoot move. If they can't get it fluid though, I may have to pass.

The lack of fluidity isn't from the animations.

It's the framerate. It's absolutely terrible, I can see it fall below 20 frequently (anything below 40 already looks jerky to me). That's nothing to be concerned over though, optimization is one of the last things done in any game.

• slprslpr Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by skeaser

/hijack

It's the framerate. It's absolutely terrible, I can see it fall below 20 frequently (anything below 40 already looks jerky to me). That's nothing to be concerned over though, optimization is one of the last things done in any game.

I think that is the problem, but if you see some videos from pax 2009 in screen gameplay it looks much more fluid!

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Far-fetched.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

hah dudes name is william wallace

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Faelsun

Originally posted by Xondar123

Originally posted by Teala

::yawn::

If you're tired, you should watch that SWTOR combat video. It's really good and will perk you right up.

Because one deminsional global cooldowns are awesomesauce?

I really just saw the same thing over and over again, dps dps dps oh crap CDs are up AOE ground pound, a few times I even see the bounty hunter have to wait for his guns to get off CD the only difference between this and wow is that everyone has the same attacks with different animations, but this time the animations are much better.

It looks like its choreographed so billy the 12 year old can keyboard smash every toon,  will be an EZ mode,last nuke wins battle of  halfwits.  They said the battles would be choreographed they were right choreographed for stupidity. I mean honestly this game was made to be a cakewalk, they are taking the themepark idea to the extreme and dropping challenging gameplay as they go, as in getting rid of challenging gameplay. It wouldn't shock me if you could play all the way to max level keyboard turning and useing the tab button to attack.

What? "Global cooldowns?" How do you even know that? Did you get into a super secret beta test I didn't know about?

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Xondar123

A lot of people seem to feel threatened by this game because it might somehow magically destroy their favourite MMO (just like a certain person who has a blog on this site and is a huge WoW fan and feels the need to spread outright falsehoods about the game and post worthless, unnecessary comments in threads about the game because he/she feels threatened that this game might somehow magically destroy WoW using magic.)

Ahem. Using 'microscopic bacteria'. See, that's 'science', not 'magic'.

Oh right. Midiclorians. I forgot, sorry.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

I was actually really looking forward to FF14 (I'm a big fan of JRPGs in general) until I saw some videos. Dear god it all looked so horribly bland. However unlike some others I don't feel the need to go to the FF14 forums and spread my "opinion". Besides I'm willing to wait and try to final product before I make up my mind.

But ya from the videos...it was just horrible.

Why are you against voicing your negative opinion? Why must there be only positive comments? Who is the one having problems here, he who gets annoyed and defensive when their favorite game is criticized or the guy who criticizes it?

The animations in XIV are not currently at similar level as XI's. It is a concern for me.  

But if it was at level shown in this vid, I wouldn't probably play it at all. There's a clear difference, like night and day.

Exactly. I don't get it either, but his response explains a lot. He has nothing better to do. Who would have thought that.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Far-fetched.

Why? Because you don't happen to like the conclusion? At least it's honest.

Then again if you game with some low-end POS PC (it's not like FFXI is exactly cutting edge) I can see how you might not be able to spot the difference from 20 vs 40 FPS.

For those of us with computers that are used to run more than MS Office however, it's a noticeable world of difference.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by greed0104

I was actually really looking forward to FF14 (I'm a big fan of JRPGs in general) until I saw some videos. Dear god it all looked so horribly bland. However unlike some others I don't feel the need to go to the FF14 forums and spread my "opinion". Besides I'm willing to wait and try to final product before I make up my mind.

Why are you against voicing your negative opinion? Why must there be only positive comments? Who is the one having problems here, he who gets annoyed and defensive when their favorite game is criticized or the guy who criticizes it?

The animations in XIV are not currently at similar level as XI's. It is a concern for me.  

But if it was at level shown in this vid, I wouldn't probably play it at all. There's a clear difference, like night and day.

Exactly. I don't get it either, but his response explains a lot. He has nothing better to do. Who would have thought that.

What most people fail to understand is that there is critique and critique. It is good to write, this and that detail of the game is not good, when it is written to help make it better, eventually. Like saying, I want smaller lightsabers or better details in faces or what. But just saying, it all sux and is boring... why waste time saying that over and over? Maybe one time, ok, and then move on. But some seem to have this fixation to bring a topic up endlessly, like SOE hate or SWG or what.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

perhaps because they feel that people cannot hear them.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

This is the first video that makes me think playing thsi game at all will be worthwhile. So far it looks like there are quite a few different classes that act very differently. This is a plus. The negitives in this video are poor just bad graphics, very low fps (you know they used a good computer and when there where 6-8 people/npc all fighting the animations looked like screenshots on very fast [ok thats not 100% true but it was bad]).  There was a lot of talk about how you can doa  ton of junk off the bat, not like other mmos, the only problem, do you get triple that by mid to late mid game? If not you have a lack of character ability progression (cannot see bioware messing up here but hey if they didn't mention it...).

What i did like is the idea that you are a heroand are fighting > numbers the entire 1 mob super booss thing is so dumb and every time i played wow i was liek man this is so dumb, becuase if they are so strong all they have to do is group up like us i mean really most mobs are strong than most players in dungeons thats just messed up. I think only DAOC balancedthat well. If a mob was = lvl to you then you could beat it. Now if you wanted tons of exp go grab 8 people and pull 3 mobs that are 5+ levels higher than you and at least that makes sense, and there were a few very strong bosses but they were rare and not everywhere you went.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by greed0104

What most people fail to understand is that there is critique and critique. It is good to write, this and that detail of the game is not good, when it is written to help make it better, eventually. Like saying, I want smaller lightsabers or better details in faces or what. But just saying, it all sux and is boring... why waste time saying that over and over? Maybe one time, ok, and then move on. But some seem to have this fixation to bring a topic up endlessly, like SOE hate or SWG or what.

The problem with extreme negative comments before the game has been played works like this.

Worriedperson: I played ME and DA:O and it was linear are the planets going to be like this in ToR?

BioWare: Planets are wide open, lots of exploration.

Worriedperson: That's just PR talk. This game will be linear.

I'm not saying it's always like this, I'm saying it's mostly like this.

There is also a problem with extreme positive comments, claiming a game to be a WoW killer or anything like that.

But yeah, I like Fruity Pebbles, anybody wanna tell me they dont like the color, shape, or logo, even if you haven't tried it (popular thing here). I really  care about your opinion and I'm well aware you will change my mind on something I find of interest. Tell me how Fruity Pebbles looks like a kids cereal, that will win me over. /horriblenonsenserantover

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

looks great sure.. but I love how the AI just stands there. Does not run to hide .. see 3 getting attacked by lightening lol and they just stand there. See one getting shot.. the other .. Yep just stands there waiting to get shot. Yet I will say its way to early to tell. Man I hope that changes. Or eles its going to be like most MMO's where the AI just stands waiting to die. After all these years we cant make a smarter AI..

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Zeblade

looks great sure.. but I love how the AI just stands there. Does not run to hide .. see 3 getting attacked by lightening lol and they just stand there. See one getting shot.. the other .. Yep just stands there waiting to get shot. Yet I will say its way to early to tell. Man I hope that changes. Or eles its going to be like most MMO's where the AI just stands waiting to die. After all these years we cant make a smarter AI..

Well, to be fair - we're not making smarter MMO players.

I'm wondering if it wil be just like the standard MMO, and groups of mobs will stay politely in place while their colleagues are murdered no more than spitting distance away. I hate that so much, I just can't say.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by Comnitus

Originally posted by maskedweasel

And this is the average bait, for those that can't tell.  

I've never seen a game with better animations actually.  What special effects look "dull"?  And EQ1 graphics? Come on now....  I think its time to put the fishing pole away, that bait doesn't even remotely hold ground....  you aren't going to catch anything with that.

Hey I'd really like to see what you're seeing. 

The animations skip entire frames, and the way the characters handle their weapons and abilities is not realistic at all. There's no weight, and every limb moves instantly. Sometimes the animation skips whole parts of the movement altogether and suddenly your character has turned 180 degrees just like that. 

It's not fluid at all. And that's what annoys me here.

The special effects have no imagination, they are so basic it hurts to look at... looks like children's toys rather than weapons.

EQ1 graphics was an exaggeration, I apologize for that. Let's just say they're "not on an acceptable level".

But hey, criticizing means I'm a troll. 

The game is made by Bioware.. so any act of criticism must be considered trolling attempt. 

Gotta remember that in the future.

No super-ADD flips/jumps, explosions and special effects that blind you, or ballerina Asian combat here. If you're looking for that, Aion is that way --->.

Game is not in beta yet, so I don't see why they'd focus on polishing animations/effects now. This is the bare-bones, skeletal minimum.

Game had everything you just said it did not and it looked like crap.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

it was a demo of combat and animations....read the darth hater article when they did their hands on. They said that the npcs duck and covered, while other feigned death when their health got too low, only to pop up again and shoot you in the back when you werent expecting it. DH said the AI was very good, though their aggressive radius was too small when they played it.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by miagisan

it was a demo of combat and animations....read the darth hater article when they did their hands on. They said that the npcs duck and covered, while other feigned death when their health got too low, only to pop up again and shoot you in the back when you werent expecting it. DH said the AI was very good, though their aggressive radius was too small when they played it.

I'll believe it, when I see it. Not when a fansite tells me so.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

I'll believe it, when I see it. Not when a fansite tells me so.

understandable, but here is the article anyways

http://darthhater.com/2010/03/15/gdc-trooper-hands-on-tor-game-play-impressions/

the AI, cover system, feign death, and AI pathing is on page 2

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It is always a pity when people shoot out mud knowing little. Despite your info I guess they will keep their belief TOR will suck, like any good believer. No matter what. When someone says "hey will will have XYZ" they just yell "LIAR no you wont". That is no discussion! I have long given up trying to reason with those who always assume the worst no matter what.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

It is always a pity when people shoot out mud knowing little. Despite your info I guess they will keep their belief TOR will suck, like any good believer. No matter what. When someone says "hey will will have XYZ" they just yell "LIAR no you wont". That is no discussion! I have long given up trying to reason with those who always assume the worst no matter what.

agreed, but i rather spread the knowledge of what we know thus far...which is all we know..rather than make assumptions of what we don't know yet.

• ZookzZookz Member Posts: 244

I am cautiously optimistic for this game. There's only so many times you can be let down before you give up on the entire genre. If anything, the combat looks pretty standard  i.e. select enemy, press button, press button again, watch enemy die. Not really my cup of tea after all these years, but I'm willing to see what happens with the game. 

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Well it seems to me that they are heading towards gameplay/stability > graphics. I think they are gonna make this game as accessible as WoW is, so anyone can run it. This is fine by me as I'd rather a game run smoothly than have a pretty one that doesn't.

I think people are jumping the gun a bit commenting on the graphics, it is alpha afterall, I'd wait till beta at least. I like the direction they are heading, even though at times the combat looked really clunky and unnatural at other times it looked quite nice.

One thing I will say is I don't think it will surpass AoC and Aion in terms of grahpics, or even the new FF.

*edit: typo.

O_o o_O