Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO. Cash shop game?

AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

Hi,

Less than a week ago, I leaned of Warcraft's new Celestial mount being sold for money through Blizzards's online store. The release appears to have been highly successful and have generated large amounts of additional cash. My suspicion was that this wouldn't be a one off occurrence - companies very rarely adopt an attitude of "well that made loads of money, let's never do it again."

I don't want to play a cash shop game. There have been loads of arguments about the issue elsewhere, so please don't repeat them here - I'm just asking you to understand the attitude I have. I don't play cash shop games.

So I decided to take a break from Warcraft and give LotRO another go. I understood it to have been one of the better MMO's released over recent years, and whilst I didn't decide to stay when I gave it a try several years ago, I couldn't remember any serious negatives. So I created a couple of new characters, a Captain and a Burglar, and have successfully navigated them through the starting area, and a little way beyond.

However, now I notice that Codemaster's online store offers something called an "Adventurer's Pack", which offers 20 additional storage slots shared between characters. I don't know so much about LoTRO, but if I think in Warcraft terms, such an item would be considered quite powerful - some players would easily play thousands of gold for the equivalent.

So have I made a mistake? Is LoTRO also on the slippery cash shop slope?

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

The Adventurers Pack are basically the goodies that came with some of the Special Edition releases of LotR, giving the players that missed them to get them as well.

About the 20-slot account bank. It's a good thing to have. Without it you have to mail things to yourself, or go back to your home each time to drop it in your chest. Now You can just visit any bank and drop it in the account bank and have an other of your chars pick it up ;)

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I guess we will have to wait and see what havoc WB wreaks upon LotRO.  The press release does seem to point to RMT coming soon.  When EA bought Mythic, I was terrified of what they would do to DAoC, but for a while at least it seemed DAoC actually improved.  Unfortunately, EA did help eff up WAR by forcing it out before it was ready, most likely to beat WoW's WotLK.  I just hope they learned their lesson on that and don't do the same to SW:TOR

AFAIK for now the "adventure pack" is the only RMT.  It includes:

- 2 more character slots for altoholics like me so I can have one of every class on the same server. 

- the 20 slot shared storage.  Good for me as someone that has a guild crafter of every profession.  Saves me a ton of silver on in game postage mailing materials to alts or having to buy a house in game for the shared storage.

- Goat usuable at level 35 that is the same speed as the level 35 horse.  Saves/will save each my characters 4+ gold.

- Purple newbie cloak that is useful well into your teens.

To me, it was worth it, but I did feel a bit dirty buying it. 

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

AFAIK for now the "adventure pack" is the only RMT.  It includes:

- 2 more character slots for altoholics like me so I can have one of every class on the same server. 

- the 20 slot shared storage.  Good for me as someone that has a guild crafter of every profession.  Saves me a ton of silver on in game postage mailing materials to alts or having to buy a house in game for the shared storage.

- Goat usuable at level 35 that is the same speed as the level 35 horse.  Saves/will save each my characters 4+ gold.

- Purple newbie cloak that is useful well into your teens.

To me, it was worth it, but I did feel a bit dirty buying it. 

It's only 2 extra slots. If you bought the MoM pre-order, you get 2 from there as well (at least, if I'm right about that - I have 9 character slots right now)

Goat is nice, but it has 40% less HP than a horse. So it'll die faster than the horse, forcing you into melee faster...

The cloak is a nice thing. If you won't use it anymore, you can always use it as a cosmetic feature after your hit 20 (though I wear the Moria cloak, which looks a lot better)

...and no need to feel cheap for buying it. It's all the goodies that came with the Siege of Mirkwood expansion. I took the pre-order of it and have the goodies as well. I actually think CM did well to make this package as the only cash shop item they have. I guess future updates with pre-order goodies will allow the package to be sold seperately as well later on...

And as long as CM only keeps selling the pre-order goodies, I'm okay with it. When they add other (fluffy) stuff like most other publishers do, I'll cancel my subscription. Oh, wait... I have a life-time sub :D

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Indeed there was. Additional storage space, additional character slots, and in-game bonus items on sale for real cash. And it gets worse. Much worse.

REALITY CHECK

• The shared bank slots are worth every penny.  Something I use every day I play.  Now my house only holds all my costume/furniture and I rarely visit it. 

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Thillian

And it gets worse. Much worse.

What do you mean by the above?
  • SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I've played Lotro off and on over the years.   I never even knew this offer existed, so I'd say it's hardly necessary.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

The extra stuff for sale now is like the special edition for expansions which most MMOs do.

But since WoW have started to sell mounts for $25 to great success I think its a matter of time before we it in ALL mmos.. :(

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

Why would they limit themselves to only MMOs?

My personal viewpoint is that if the corps see a cash shop as being sufficienly profitable, then it could spread to any computure game with longterm appeal.

Regardless - the only means I have to reject that future is to vote with my feet, and take my custom elsewhere. And at the moment, I just want to check that I am voting wisely.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,924

Originally posted by Antipathy

Originally posted by Thillian

And it gets worse. Much worse.

What do you mean by the above?

What does he mean by the above?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo