Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard - Saga of Heroes Player Population

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this (please move if it is in the wrong place) but here goes...

The Player Population in Vanguard - Saga of Heroes is becoming very very low and SOE doesnt seem to be doing anything about it. It is becoming very hard to do anything withour a fully functional guild.

Please when you have a spare moment, can you visit http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/vanguardpop/ sign and comment.

Vanguard is such an amazing game, beats all other mmo's on the market, the only downfall is the forever decreasing population.

Huuuuge Thank You,

Your Fellow Shaman,

Malteaser

Comments

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Originally posted by Malteaser

Vanguard is such an amazing game, beats all other mmo's on the market, the only downfall is the forever decreasing population.

Not a truer word spoken(or written)!

I will go to sign the pettion and hope it helps, although i think SoE has got this one sewn up like a kipper as it seems they want it to die so that it does not compete with their beloved EQ2.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I really tried since its release to improve its reputation and lure in new players everywhere I could, but I have to say, I gave up. It will never gets the attention it should have. Without SoE adding a few more developers and pay something for advertisment, or even re-release it with a full server wipe under the name EQ3, nothing will change. Yesterday, there was 21 people online on Halgar.

REALITY CHECK

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

I don't see Sony shutting the servers down.  If you stop developing new code and provide just minimal customer support, it can't cost much to keep Vanguard servers running forever.

Isn't Matrix Online still running?  That game can't have too many subs.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

Matrix Online was terminated about 9 months ago.

REALITY CHECK

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Signed the petition and added some thoughts as well, I liked the game when I initially played last year but left to try out other MMO's, have just downloaded it again this week and I can not believe the state of the population especially on Halgar. Its a travesty in my eyes to see such a huge beautiful world with lots of great things to do die in this manner. I'll probably just level up a toon just to experience it as much as I can with the hope that SOE will see that they can gain from giving VG a little bit of love. I've been on the MMO merry-go-round this past year and decided to revisit the games that had the most effect on me and that was EQ2 & Vanguard

My suggestion is to do a Fallen Earth and give away a few thousand game client keys and 30 days to see if they can ignite some resurgence in the populations on all servers and send out some comeback e-mails to former players with 30 days included as well it would not cost the earth to do and for me can only be a benefit to SOE's bank balance.

Cal.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• DAHBOODAHBOO Member UncommonPosts: 137

"Vanguard is such an amazing game, beats all other mmo's on the market, the only downfall is the forever decreasing population."

If this were true why would you even need this cry for help post?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

An "amazing" game that cannot even fill up a few servers with decent populations? May be only YOU and a handful of people are considering it "amazing".

• oTinyooTinyo Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by VultureSkull

Not a truer word spoken(or written)!

I will go to sign the pettion and hope it helps, although i think SoE has got this one sewn up like a kipper as it seems they want it to die so that it does not compete with their beloved EQ2.

Yes. VG holds many fond memories for me and my guild still has a branch there but it has become very clear that SOE pretty much only bought VG to stop it from killing EQ2.

They succeeded. But, from what I hear, EQ2 is dying too.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

signed.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • XKhallusXXKhallusX Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by oTinyo

EQ2 is dying too.

yep unfortunately they listened to the hardcore "raid or die" fanbase too much and pretty much killed off any other part of the game.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

An "amazing" game that cannot even fill up a few servers with decent populations? May be only YOU and a handful of people are considering it "amazing".

No, every living being consider the game to be amazing including ducks and roaches.

REALITY CHECK

• MalteaserMalteaser Member Posts: 2

This Game is amazing, Back in 2007 it kicked off to a rocky start, the game wasnt ready to be made live therefore contained lots of faults. 3 years later, The game has improved ALOT, loads more content, very few bugs, etc.  Not many people have heard of Vanguard, and most of those who have wont play because of the bad launch.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

Amazing games don't get ignored by the vast majority of gamers.  They get played or at least the critics recognize them.  Lousy games on the other hand...

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Guess it's not doing so well.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Originally posted by Josher

Amazing games don't get ignored by the vast majority of gamers.  They get played or at least the critics recognize them.  Lousy games on the other hand...

This is the worst argument you could possibly think of. For the most part, the music I like, the movies I like, the games I play are not widely recognized by the mass market. I didn't like Avatar, I don't listen to pop music and I don't play WoW - which following your logic has to be the best.

Depth of the game system and the quality of its features has nothing to do with mass market recognition.

REALITY CHECK

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

This Game is amazing, Back in 2007 it kicked off to a rocky start, the game wasnt ready to be made live therefore contained lots of faults. 3 years later, The game has improved ALOT, loads more content, very few bugs, etc.  Not many people have heard of Vanguard, and most of those who have wont play because of the bad launch.

I don't think this games problems are simply because it is unheard of it is much more squarley based on it's launch, and the fact that SOE now does nothing to promote any changes that may have made it better but people know of the game.  I played a trial and wasn't blown away by anything and while I know I don't speak for everyone I think the two earlier problems I mention coupled with the fact that it just won't blow some away means the game is going to stay pretty much where it is.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

I played it up until a few months back with the head Dev made it clear that the game was moving away from solo friendly to group required.  In a game with a tiny population, I can't image why anyone would think this is a good idea.  Anywho, when I left, there were still plenty of bugs -- abominations running wild, getting stuck on stairs, floating heads, npcs who would ignore you, quests that couldn't be finished, etc.  I was willing to overlook all that, but the more Silius talked, the less confidence I had in this game.  I doubt I'll ever return unless SOE does something drastic and starts taking Vanguard seriously.

• DmyankeeDmyankee Member UncommonPosts: 135

The situation is pretty simple. If they want more people to play it they will advertise. Since the relaunch campaign in 2008 there really has not been anything coming out of the vanguard camp.  So to start having people do the 10 day trial or return to the game. It was designed as direct competeion to Everquest 2 after Brad Mcquaid sadly proven he could not run the business end of Verant with John Smedley. Mcquade great developer bad business man.

Sony controls the fate and only a campaign to keep the game going through dollars will revive development of it. Frankly i think they should shelf VG. Fix the code, improve character creation, and re release as EQ3 ... with the ldon options rolling. but that is just me.

I love and still play VG but in all honesty ... the game is dead in developer eyes ... Sigil fubared big time and sony made a mint out of the mistake and they keep suckers like me paying because the product is fantastic ...

Artorus Giltanus - Ranger EQ1 Retired
    Arturien - 90 Deathknight WoW

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by DAHBOO

"Vanguard is such an amazing game, beats all other mmo's on the market, the only downfall is the forever decreasing population."

If this were true why would you even need this cry for help post?

Because no matter how good a game is people aren't going to play it knowing that it has no support, no development team, and no further content coming out. And the dwindling population feeds on itself. New players don't join because they don't know about the game, because SoE isn't talking about it at all, or they don't play because they USED to be subscribers but left because its obvious the game won't be supported, and just keep dwindling. It's hard enough to find groups or people to play with, so unless SoE shows sign they care, why waste time playing essentially by yourself? 

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Amazing games get ignored every year due to the fact that people are idiots.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

Amazing games are ignored because of people that share your amazing thought process.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,082

I signed it.

This game has vastly improved since it's premature launch in 2007. I really recommend SOE going the route Turbine did with DDO and relaunching it as a subscription/F2P hybrid. I know people are against F2P's but the fact of the matter is a hybrid model is ideal for a game that won't grow any other way.

It brought close to a million people to DDO this year, and more than doubled it's subscription rate. This information was made public by Turbine this year.

I feel that if they don't do something like this within the next year, Vanguard will be shut down permanantly or fade off into the abyss like Ryzom.

Originally posted by aleos

Amazing games get ignored every year due to the fact that people are idiots.

Wise words. A bit less asocially put - mass market does not recognize games by their quality. Mass market doesn't even know what fun is. Mass market only knows how much ADV it has, and how it's percieved by the guy next door.

REALITY CHECK

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

The problem with Vanguard is it is sitting way way back on the back burners, it is not being supported nor marketed properly... The best thing that could happen to Vanguard is that SOE sells the brand to a development company that will turn it around into something more viable...

This is highly unlikely because all they will be doing is creating compeition for themselves... Sometimes the strategy is to buy out the competative product and let it die... SOE can certainly afford to do this and has...

SOE is now swimming in buckets of cash because of the success of (not so) Free Realms and they will continue to put the eggs into that basket...

I am sure once Vanguard hits "the number" of minimal sustainable population it will then go the way of The Matrix.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Wighty

The problem with Vanguard is it is sitting way way back on the back burners, it is not being supported nor marketed properly... The best thing that could happen to Vanguard is that SOE sells the brand to a development company that will turn it around into something more viable...

This is highly unlikely because all they will be doing is creating compeition for themselves... way of The Matrix.

Exactly why they won't develop it. They won't get the simple type of gamers that like WoW. They'll get people from EQ2, which results in just a net loss of profits.