Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"But It's Star Wars!!!"

1235»

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

The prequels should have beat that idea out of your head.  Lucas proved he was crap without Spielberg.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

Originally posted by Maverz290

Am I the only one who thinks 'But it's star wars!' Is a pretty damn good excuse to play?

Used to be before the new movies.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Am I the only one who thinks 'But it's star wars!' Is a pretty damn good excuse to play?

A good sauce or gravy is a very important thing. But when your steak turned out to be a piece of cardboard it can end up being a disapointing meal nonetheless.

But yeah, if gameplay and immersion values do turn out to be great then the SW ip adds a very nice flavor.

p.s. I have no doubt that SW will be a huge success in both box sales and subscription amounts for say, the first three months, but the steak has to be good to keep a lot of players in for a longer term. We can only judge that stake well after launch.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by DarkPony

A good sauce or gravy is a very important thing. But when your steak turned out to be a piece of cardboard it can end up being a disapointing meal nonetheless.

But yeah, if gameplay and immersion values do turn out to be great then the SW ip adds a very nice flavor.

p.s. I have no doubt that SW will be a huge success in both box sales and subscription amounts for say, the first three months, but the steak has to be good to keep a lot of players in for a longer term. We can only judge that stake well after launch.

I hear its 100% lean bantha meat. 

.... just saying.

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

I always have to at least try the steak. I'm strange like that.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Zorgo

I used the Jesus story because it is a commonly known example of this type of myth. One can find sacrificing stories in many different cultures good vs. evil myths throughout time. Like I said, I understand your logic, and there are 1000s of ways I would have written that scene differently myself - as I have big probs with the dialogue in RotJ. I'm not sure that it is what Luke did that pisses me off as much as the dialogue made you think, "cut his head off Luke" rather than, "don't do it Luke!" That scene should have made us feel the latter, but instead made us feel the former.....

Speak for yourself.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Is `but it`s Star Trek!` enough reason to play STO?

Falling for the IP bait will only result in more shoddy MMOs that do little justice to the original concept.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Non gaming IPs are usually a good recipe for disaster. They are usually restrictive in their implementation in an MMO environment, the "suits" think that the IP itself automatically translates to high profit and most of the time it's the only feature of the game worth mentioning.

Now, I'm not saying that SW:TOR is merely carried around by the IP alone. The thing is, they could have easily produced a Mass Effect game that would fit more in the MMO world and would not be restricted by anyone but the developers.

Originally posted by Xasapis

Non gaming IPs are usually a good recipe for disaster. They are usually restrictive in their implementation in an MMO environment, the "suits" think that the IP itself automatically translates to high profit and most of the time it's the only feature of the game worth mentioning.

Now, I'm not saying that SW:TOR is merely carried around by the IP alone. The thing is, they could have easily produced a Mass Effect game that would fit more in the MMO world and would not be restricted by anyone but the developers.

There are hardly any restrictions at all in this era.

No one has ever wrote about anything in this time period. They Sith could gain control of the galaxy, and lose it, all in time to fit in with the rest.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I was talking more in general terms, but lets see SW:TOR in particular.

You are right, the era allows for more diversion than the SWG game. However, they still restrict themselves. Isn't "iconic" classes a restriction from SWG era imposed on KOTOR era? I could think of other examples, but this is a pretty prominent one. The IP does influence design decisions, there is no escaping even for TOR I'm afraid. 

Originally posted by Xasapis

I was talking more in general terms, but lets see SW:TOR in particular.

You are right, the era allows for more diversion than the SWG game. However, they still restrict themselves. Isn't "iconic" classes a restriction from SWG era imposed on KOTOR era? I could think of other examples, but this is a pretty prominent one. The IP does influence design decisions, there is no escaping even for TOR I'm afraid. 

Your right it is restricting. However I feel that comes with the direction of MMO they wanted. I mean, they have to have a grip on your character somehow, otherwise they couldn't write a story. At least in terms of what your character is, and their abilities.

I think the whole thing goes hand in hand. At least when Bioware say iconic classes, they are doing that to help give you a heroic story experience. Galaxies did it to bugger up the game lol. Don't get me wrong, I play galaxies, but I miss the freedom of being a 'whatchamacallit' class.

• DJDizzyDJDizzy Member Posts: 119

OP, you are a hypocrite, and here is why: Saying that you don't like people that will play this game just because "It's Star Wars" and then proceeding to say that you will play this game because it is bioware is hypocritical

Your culture will adapt to serve us.
    Resistance is futile

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Zorgo

I used the Jesus story because it is a commonly known example of this type of myth. One can find sacrificing stories in many different cultures good vs. evil myths throughout time. Like I said, I understand your logic, and there are 1000s of ways I would have written that scene differently myself - as I have big probs with the dialogue in RotJ. I'm not sure that it is what Luke did that pisses me off as much as the dialogue made you think, "cut his head off Luke" rather than, "don't do it Luke!" That scene should have made us feel the latter, but instead made us feel the former.....

Speak for yourself.

I thought that's what I just did.....oh the last sentence? I apologize, "That scene made me feel the latter but instead made me feel the former".....that better? Although, 'us' referred to me and the other guy who feel that the scene made 'us' feel that Luke should have taken off the emperor's head. It did not refer to 'us' as in everyone in the world. I can see your confusion I guess....

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Is `but it`s Star Trek!` enough reason to play STO?

Falling for the IP bait will only result in more shoddy MMOs that do little justice to the original concept.

Unfortunately for some, they do seem blinded by the STO IP......there will always be those kind, and if they are happy, who are we to disagree? Personally, I play games that make me happy, and some make me happy for different reasons. Hard to imagine liking STO just because they love Trek, but, apparently some do. Diverse world.