Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New low for CDF

1235»

Comments

  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

    Why would I dispute a review?  For one its an opinion of the writer.  STO was also released way to early, so it got what it deserved.

  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

    Originally posted by Darth_Osor

    You are an eternal optimist if you think the game will be fully fleshed out in July with season 2.

     

    Yeah, I should have said at the soonest.  There's a lot in season 2 though, which will certainly help a long way.

  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

    Originally posted by describable



    Originally posted by grapevine

    You've proved nothing.  You just made a blind statement.  Its a well known fact Mircosoft were pushing many developers to be exclusive to their products around that time.

     well the press statements agree with me, as well as an informer to  various gaming sites [Game informer being one of them], all of which never mentioned anything at all about "vista" in the same breath.

    so who do i believe, YOU.... or the fact all "vista only" *cough* released on the 360 ended up being XP comptable AND the press releases.

    yeah somehow, i'm not going to go with you on that one am i.... makes logical sense to look at the evidence and go "hey, look... thats what happened"

     

    really hoped you'd comment on this though:

    Although i'm just reading the STO "reviews" page on the site, it's rather amusing... they look at the ratings then cryptic makes up a % based upon it.... *munches popcorn*

    a B- for example = 80%

    but a B also = 80%

    http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/features/Games-Star-Trek-Online.6050381.jp

    ^ that equals 70%, not quite sure why... wouldn't call it a review... but it is menioned here:

    http://www.startrekonline.com/reviews

    so it must be.

     

    As for MUO being 360 and Vista only, here you go.

    http://www.crypticstudios.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=32

  • goldenkeygoldenkey Member UncommonPosts: 98

    Originally posted by grapevine



    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter



    Originally posted by grapevine



    I've not been disputing numbers, just the doom and gloom.   STO most definitly needs work, but its not failing.

     

    For the record, Cryptic are always quiet about numbers.  They never give them.  Neither do their games generally attract the masses.  There's no harm in being niche though.

    There was never any stated intent for this game to be niche. Star Trek is not a niche IP.

     

    Yes there was.  Its a well known fact Cryptic aim for a 100k subscription base for their games.  Its one of the reasons they use heavy instancing based around a single (virtual) server, to keep running costs low so that its achievable and profitable.

     

    I don't feel that for Star Trek that's the best approach, but that exactly what it was.


    Sorry grapevine but the xfire numbers on STO don't support anything like a game with a stable or growing population. While xfire can not represent the actual number of players it is a reasonable representation relative to other games tracked on xfire. If you check AOC the number of hours per day is around 3000 or so while STO is maybe 500. There was a big fall off after April 1 might be due to subs coming up for renewal and people dropping their accounts. One thing is very clear in any case that STO has had a very large population drop in just the last few weeks. It's clear that the game is in the process of failing as we speak.


     


    Just check the link

    http://www.xfire.com/games/sto/Star_Trek_Online/

  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

    1) X-Fire numbers mean jack.  According to them just about every MMO is a disaster.  It has a steriotypical user base and quite a few games aren't recorded correctly.

    2) X-Fire is bugged against recording (amonst others) STO activity.  Its a known issue and has even been covered on the STO forum.  Its not binding the required API, as it doesn't exist.  Leading to quirky figures.  For example, the graph doesn't show a drop off.  It shows a slight increase since the beginning of March and some crazy spike for about a week (at the back end of the month).  Along with a 77 position climb since yesterday.

    3) I've never stated growing, just stable with a turnover.

    4) I have stated there was a drop off, but nothing that's uncommon to a newly released MMO.

  • saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

    Originally posted by nikoliath



    Originally posted by jaxsundane



    Originally posted by nikoliath

    Must be a slow day for some of you, or something. Cryptic selling stuff via C-Store? Whooopeee. This thread is a new low for the cryptic haters. The cheek of it hey, an emote! How can anyone bare to play without this emote, or a costume?

     

    You guys keep kicking the hornets nest, only many of the hornets don't give a rats ass any longer. Soon there will be a new title launch for you people to hate on.

    I really can not imagine how some of you folks would react in the face of a real crisis, or real bad news. But in light of this devastating news delivered in this thread I am off to make peace before the end of the world draws in, as surely it must now.

     Oh yes and good lord what an end the world must be coming to, mmo players posting about games they don't like and goodness me,  some of us even post about games we even like, yes you are right the world must be coming to an end, how close are we to 2012?

    If you want truly "devastating news" go to CNN but considering you are on a site dedicating to gaming you're going to read comments about gaming, and unlike watching CNN you have a choice here and since you chose to read this thread anyway I'd have to say your comment only labels you a troll considering you had to have known how we would feel and what we would be saying.

    and the irony is you, and the op are complaining about just that; Choice. I'm as much a troll as the OP is, given his wording and title. This thread is complaining about a business, that makes and sells computer games, selling items to make money ~ vanity items at that.

     

    Many, many things in life come with optional extras at a fee. had Cryptic started charging a fee for missions, loot, access to chat or for each login I could see the problem.

     

    This thread was akin to kicking the ants nest so you can watch them get mad. 

    Does Cryptic bear any responsibility for the way people feel about their product?

    [email protected]!! BREATHE!!!

  • BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

    Originally posted by saxifr



    Originally posted by nikoliath



    Originally posted by jaxsundane



    Originally posted by nikoliath

    Must be a slow day for some of you, or something. Cryptic selling stuff via C-Store? Whooopeee. This thread is a new low for the cryptic haters. The cheek of it hey, an emote! How can anyone bare to play without this emote, or a costume?

     

    You guys keep kicking the hornets nest, only many of the hornets don't give a rats ass any longer. Soon there will be a new title launch for you people to hate on.

    I really can not imagine how some of you folks would react in the face of a real crisis, or real bad news. But in light of this devastating news delivered in this thread I am off to make peace before the end of the world draws in, as surely it must now.

     Oh yes and good lord what an end the world must be coming to, mmo players posting about games they don't like and goodness me,  some of us even post about games we even like, yes you are right the world must be coming to an end, how close are we to 2012?

    If you want truly "devastating news" go to CNN but considering you are on a site dedicating to gaming you're going to read comments about gaming, and unlike watching CNN you have a choice here and since you chose to read this thread anyway I'd have to say your comment only labels you a troll considering you had to have known how we would feel and what we would be saying.

    and the irony is you, and the op are complaining about just that; Choice. I'm as much a troll as the OP is, given his wording and title. This thread is complaining about a business, that makes and sells computer games, selling items to make money ~ vanity items at that.

     

    Many, many things in life come with optional extras at a fee. had Cryptic started charging a fee for missions, loot, access to chat or for each login I could see the problem.

     

    This thread was akin to kicking the ants nest so you can watch them get mad. 

    Does Cryptic bear any responsibility for the way people feel about their product?

    Craptic bears all the responsibility for this. If you listen to the lifers it is the players who are at fault for every mess that has happened. But since they have their Rose tinted glasses on and can not see objectivly they blame everything on the player base while the real villianss in this are cryptic/atari for all their false promises(lies) and poor(dismal) gameplay.

    They released a shallow broken game and now they are reaping what was sown.

  • saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381



    Craptic bears all the responsibility for this. If you listen to the lifers it is the players who are at fault for every mess that has happened. But since they have their Rose tinted glasses on and can not see objectivly they blame everything on the player base while the real villianss in this are cryptic/atari for all their false promises(lies) and poor(dismal) gameplay.

    They released a shallow broken game and now they are reaping what was sown.

    This is something that I get completely. It's a shame that a lot of STO's players don't.

    I had such high hopes for this game, too...*sigh*

    [email protected]!! BREATHE!!!

  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

    Why should they?  Its your opinion, not theirs.  People are allowed to have their own and enjoy what suits them.

     

    There are no villians, although there are some reall idiots on both sides of the fence.   The game is simply as designed, some like it some don't.  Its not a big deal.

  • MeTedMeTed Member Posts: 129

    Originally posted by grapevine

    Originally posted by Darth_Osor

    You are an eternal optimist if you think the game will be fully fleshed out in July with season 2.

     

    Yeah, I should have said at the soonest.  There's a lot in season 2 though, which will certainly help a long way.

     There is just too much uncertainity as to what Cryptic is really doing behind the scenes. Dstahl has claimed their live team is "basically" the same core team prelaunch. What people fail to remember is that everyone was working on developing STO and neglecting CO to get STO to launch. The live team is about 7 devs as quoted before. They have been in the process of hiring or have hired people for this new MMO according to job want ads that have been posted. It leads me to believe the devs are multi tasking on on other projects leaving less time for STO. It's been stated the bulk of the game was developed in 14 months and Season 2 will be 5-6 months post launch. Looking at the engineering notes it seems like a lot but won't amount to much in any one area. You would think in Season 2 Klingons would be fully fleshed out or something will be complete. It won't. Zinc has stated there will be some Klingon content so I'm thinking maybe x amount of missions and some missions for Feds. It all won't amount to much imo.

  • saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

    Originally posted by grapevine

    Why should they?  Its your opinion, not theirs.  People are allowed to have their own and enjoy what suits them.

     

    There are no villians, although there are some reall idiots on both sides of the fence.   The game is simply as designed, some like it some don't.  Its not a big deal.

    Tell that to the people who are complaining on the STO forums about not being able to find groups for the content that *is* released. 

     

    One of the reasons they are having trouble finding groups is that people like me, who have a lifetime sub to the game, are choosing not to log in because we think the game is crap and we're choosing not to log in.

    [email protected]!! BREATHE!!!

  • PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

    Well at least they dont offer costumes that expire in 7 days like a huge number of games.

    And they dont advertise a new items like a mount or weapon or armor and the only way to get it is to dish out the equivilent of 5 dollars to buy a lotto type item...that gives you only a 1 in 20 chance of getting the item....a number of games do this too.

    And at least they have not packed those emotes a single dungeon...some player races and maybe a few extra items in to a 59.99 exspansion...that later becomes required to play the game after a year and which finaly gets bundled with the main game about 1 year after it becomes required. 

     

    When those things happen......then i think we all need to say the word together.....DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!

     

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,900

    Are emotes necessary to gameplay.  No, of course not. 

    But when I pay my 15 bucks I want to be able to access everything in the game (somehow) and if a company starts selling anything in a cash shop on top of my sub fee that can't be obtained for free, I'm displeased.

    Aion did this with their valentines day packs, sold fluff items and emotes for 5.99 or something like that, and it was a contributing factor to me not playing any more.

    Didn't bother my son at all, and he and his friends still play on my two accounts.

    It is a matter of personal taste of course, but I'll probably try to steer clear of any game/company that uses this model. (Unless of course, they all end up doing it, which is quite possible in the future)

    But as for Cryptic, I don't think they can make a game I'll ever like so not a problem, won't be buying them.

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






Sign In or Register to comment.