Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isn't Fallen Earth doing amazing?

kevin_123kevin_123 Member Posts: 52

I don't get it.

Unless i'm mistaken Fallen Earth isn't doing that well which really suprises me. I haven't actually played it but from what I'm reading it seems EXCACTLY what 50% of the threads on here are asking for.

-No classes, you can make your character how you like it.

-A very large sandbox type world to explore.

-An innovative crafting system which also means a more player orientated economy.

-Not endless amount of grind.

-Skill based unlike the "Click a button to shoot" type gameplay.

It's everything you constantly ask for, I don't get it, unless I have misunderstood something?

Comments

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

I found the game terribly grindy and the graphics not as good as I had thought. Good game idea though. Kinda like Iceland after the Volcano is finished erupting.

• ScalperOneScalperOne Member Posts: 281

The control is a bit quirky.

The balance in weapons seems off into that firearms are not that powerfull.

For a FPS based MMO it has to much magic mitigating the firearms theme. For example having stuns and cc, mutant (magic) attacks that do much damage.

These could turn people away.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

The game is completely amazing until S3...for me at least. I managed to suffer through to lvl 40, but with nothing to do at max level besides PvP (currently),  it isn't worth my sub money to continue lvling to cap.

Joined - July 2004

• DeomitriusDeomitrius Member Posts: 8

I tried fallen earth. Its a good game, but i had my own issues with it:

-the world felt linear, as if your were supposed to go to town A do all the quests/PvE, then to town B, repeat through zone 1, repeat through zone 2.....

-restricted pvp, pvp zones are just annoying. I have to travel halfway across the world to fight someone (if theres anyone there) and when i get bored with that, travel all the way back to pick up where i left off with my PvE trail.

- the economy bugged me a bit. Post-appocalypse i would expect useful salvage/items to be much more rare/valuable.

None of this makes it a bad game, it just doesn't quite earn my credit card.

• seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196

Fallen Earth is not a bad game at all.  Am currently playing it.  I think that they had it in the Matrix movie that people dont want to be happy and that people like to complaign.  Like they said in the Matrix the created a eutopia and people would not accept it.  People like misery and mot of the time the people who enjoy a game dont sit an post about a game on fourms but instead enjoy playing a game.  I  will be suprised that there is ever going to be a game that dos't get trashed constanty.  Also depends on how you define a success.  If you measure success by WoW like numbers it probably gona take until blizzard releases there next mmo.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Whether anyone wishes to say it or not graphics does make a difference - if thegame play sucks and even if it doesn't.    Mount and Blade: Warband would be doing really well if it weren't for the fact that people complain about the graphics of the game.   ::sigh::   Which is to bad because the game play  is awesome.

I really wish TaleWorlds would release an adventure toolkit for Mount and Blade and the world was all 3D like Oblivian or any MMORPG...that would seriously rock...I'd be all over it and probably never touch any other game.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

It's the best new mmorpg I've played for several years. However, it suffers from the same problem as most others I've played in as much as there's not much to do once you've levelled your main character  except to make some alts. The only "end game" activity is PvP and that isn't very well thought out.

Even so, I don't know where you got the idea is isn't doing very well? It's doing a lot better than most new mmorpg's are after the first six months from what I can tell. I still read the official forums regularly and forum activity would indicate to me that there is still a thriving playerbase.

It's one of the few games I could see myself returning to when they've added more content.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Originally posted by kevin_123

I don't get it.

Unless i'm mistaken Fallen Earth isn't doing that well which really suprises me. I haven't actually played it but from what I'm reading it seems EXCACTLY what 50% of the threads on here are asking for.

It's everything you constantly ask for, I don't get it, unless I have misunderstood something?

What you're missing is the 50% of the people asking for that stuff don't want a new MMO.

They want to resurrect UO, SWG or one of the other dead or dying MMOs.

They will never be satisfied because they will never adapt to change.

They are old and set in their ways.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I played the free trial.

I don't want to say it was laggy, but there was a definite pause for every action. Pressing buttons to attack, looting, moving, it all felt too slow to respond. Just couldn't get into it.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

People who want sandbox games will always find reasons not to play sandobox games. that's the sad truth and that's the reason most people don't care about ppl who want sandboxes.

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

I don't get it.

-An innovative crafting system which also means a more player orientated economy.

I think you are underestimating game environment.  Only a niche crowd would find a post-apocolyptic environment to be entertaining.  Features are irrelevant if there is no characters people want to play.

Also, much of the problem is that people don't know what they want.  They have to be shown something they want before they realize they want it.  Reminiscent games are only brought up because it's the only memory of a game they remember 'wanting' to play.

Lastly, when you hop into the game world, it quickly feels like every other mmo.  The only difference being is the manual aim, which is really mediocre and bland.  Indie games have to think outside the box a bit more to succeed, in my personal opinion. 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I thought the combat wasn't so good and the models for the npcs and monsters could have been done alot better.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I think FE isn't doing as well as it could because it is made by a small indie developer that doesn't have a very large marketing budget.

I fully expect that FE will become a sleeper hit and will be one of the big players in 3 to 5 years, much the same way EVE became a sleeper hit.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I don't get it.

Whats there not to get?  This is a broken sandbox.  You pretty much nailed the extent of the game:

>Classless,skill-based system (i combined the 2 similar ones from yours)- Okay, but to be expected and of itself, does not make a sandbox.

>large world to explore.  Okay,but big deal.  It's to be expected of any mmorpg, and of itself, doesnt define sandbox.

>Innovative crafting system. Okay, but the players still compete with NPC's, and because there are multiple characters allowed per-account, most players have a crafting alt, when combined deffeats the purpose of player-centric ecosystem when there is no demand and relevant economy.

Ummm.....and you forgot the npc quest & pve-heavy game-play backbone, so sorry, but anyone whose expectations for "sandbox" relies on those 3 items, in conjunction with a pve, quest-heavy platform where faction is meaningless, it's not only a pathetic attempt at a false sandbox, but more akin to a themepark whack-a-mole game; ala Fallen Earth.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

I don't get it.

Here is my beef...

Its not fantasy =(

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708

I would love the game if it had no quests.

It would mean that i would have to spend 3 months only to understand how the world works, and that would excite me.

But quests take that away from me, i just have to do those and im set. That equals to no fun.

Quests steal space from end-game content, it's so obvious!

• kumobladekumoblade Member UncommonPosts: 86

I don't get it.

Where did you hear that Fallen Earth wasn't doing well?

They're still releasing content and making updates and addressing character concerns and have been quite open with their customers/players. 

I've heard that they're doing fairly well. A little rocky, but its a first go about.  i hope the game continues towards success.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I found the combat annoying and not fun. That simple.

• kevin_123kevin_123 Member Posts: 52

Fair enough, I didn't say it was doing bad, just that on paper it's excactly what you guys are saying is needed to 'take down wow' and its never really mentioned..

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Fair enough, I didn't say it was doing bad, just that on paper it's excactly what you guys are saying is needed to 'take down wow' and its never really mentioned..

I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention a post apocalyptic MMO as the WoW killer you are referring to. Care to expand on that?

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Murashu

I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention a post apocalyptic MMO as the WoW killer you are referring to. Care to expand on that?

Dont know what your talking about because every new mmo is labeled a wow killer.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by Murashu

Dont know what your talking about because every new mmo is labeled a wow killer.

lol yeah I'm sure there people who would like to see something topple WoW, but I've never seen anyone claim that a post apocalyptic mmo from a small indie company would take down a fantasy mmo like wow.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

I don't get it.

By doing well if you mean 1+ million accounts? then no. So i guess our definition of doing well is different. As long as a MMO is making enough money to pay the bills and salaries and also supports the development of future content, it's doing well.

The only time MMO does not do well is when servers shut down.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Xondar123

I think FE isn't doing as well as it could because it is made by a small indie developer that doesn't have a very large marketing budget.

I fully expect that FE will become a sleeper hit and will be one of the big players in 3 to 5 years, much the same way EVE became a sleeper hit.

That's pretty much how I see it as well.  Barring any catastrophic changes through an update that pisses off the majority of players (not that devs ever do that >_>), I can see this game gaining popularity and steam over time.

Although I have to say while I'm sure they aren't breaking any sales records the game seems to be doing okay with subs and retention as it is now.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Did you read the replies your thread has received so far?  People have listed many of the reasons why FE isn't appealing to them and that translates in a large part to the less the spectacular sub number numbers. (though I doubt anyone really thinks any sandbox style game will be a WOW killer, they just don't appeal to the mass market, more casual player)

Let me recap some of the issues.

1) FE launched with little fanfare and quite a few problems in the areas of stability which is never good for getting off to a great start and retaining the early player base.

2) Graphics, although improved, lack from some player's perspectives.

3) Content, or lack thereof.  Improved a lot in past 6 months, but from all accounts, get to level cap and there's really not much else to do. 

4) PVP - Mostly pointless, there are no land areas or resources for players to control and fight over (a la EVE) nor any unique 'dungeons' to control or gain access to by controlling certain things in the world, (a la DAOC)

5) Crafting - One of the game's shining bright spots, however it has  not managed to create a viable economy (a la EVE) where players crafted goods are vital to the market. No idea why, perhaps because everyone can be a crafter and self-sufficient?  In EvE you can't do this, 3 years of playing with 3 accounts and I still don't have any crafting ability, I have to buy my gear from those who took the time to master it.  Don't think FE works the same way.

6) Levels - There's a lot of disagreement over what makes a sandbox game, but almost everyone agrees sandbox games do not have levels and FE has them which is a big turn off.

7) Quests - While sandbox games can have quests, they should not be the primary form of character progression or the game is a theme-park IMO which of course would not appeal to most of the people looking for a WOW alternative.

8) From what I understand, players are lead from one area to another, based on the story and quest line, which does not a sandbox make.  In a game like EVE, you might visit the main market hub Jita on your first day, and return their regularly for the rest of the game.    In fact, you can access every area of EVE on your first day (theoretically) which doesn't sound like the case in FE. If so, its more of a themepark than a sandbox.

I could go on for a few more, and I haven't even played the game yet.  Sandbox games are more about the players creating the story rather than following the script the developers build for them. It doesn't sound like FE is really that sort of game therefore it holds me back from plunging in and giving it a go.

And if anything I've said above is incorrect, then its a failure of marketing by the FE team to make sure we understand what the game is really like to encourage players like me to give it a whirl.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon