Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class choice

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

A few days intoo the trial, i have started reading up on the game, which is actually a good sign..

First i need to make my final class choice, i want to play one class to 90 and ezperience endgame with that class. Before switching to SW:ToR somewhere next game.  I prefer to play support classes.

I really like to play CC classes but i have read that despite the many crowd controll options for the coercer class, the game changes drastically at higher levels and crowd controll becomes almost useless.

I also started a Dirge, the class mechanics sounds like fun for a support class, but with my non access to good gear, and a lack of low level grouping to gather it myself and such, the class might be hard to solo

I have a fury which seems like a versatile character, but it seems they lack healing power in endgame situations.

Then there the NEcromancer, but i can't find to much utillity as a support class in this class.

And finally there is the Shadowknight, which is really fun and such, but flavor of the month and not really a support class...

So what classes can be used best as a support class, preferably caster that have are reactionall to play and are not deemed to use the same rotation time after time after time...   I want a class that needs to react to the situation and so come to dictate the situation through smart choices at the right moment.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Honestly, if you want to do reaction-type decion-making during combat, you don't want to be a support class.  You want ot be a tank or a healer.

That being said, I think Coercer is the best choice for you.  There may not be much crowd control in raids, but you need to keep the group's power up, which is important as well.  Support classes in EQ2 are bards and chanters, no one else.  A necro is not a support class, it's a dps class.  Bards are ridiculously easy to play, in that no one cares if you're a good bard or a bad bard.   As long as you're a bard, you get a spot and everyone loves you.   Really good bards are few and far between for this reason.  A chanter will solo substantially better than a bard.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by arieste

Honestly, if you want to do reaction-type decion-making during combat, you don't want to be a support class.  You want ot be a tank or a healer.

That being said, I think Coercer is the best choice for you.  There may not be much crowd control in raids, but you need to keep the group's power up, which is important as well.  Support classes in EQ2 are bards and chanters, no one else.  A necro is not a support class, it's a dps class.  Bards are ridiculously easy to play, in that no one cares if you're a good bard or a bad bard.   As long as you're a bard, you get a spot and everyone loves you.   Really good bards are few and far between for this reason.  A chanter will solo substantially better than a bard.  

I have allways been a healer, but in EQ2 healers seem to be to much heabots for my current taste, not much there except for  healing in there utillity..

You might be right about Coercer tough...  Lets hear some other opinions tough before i make a decission.. I am in no hurry.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DemonshankDemonshank Member Posts: 91

I agree with arieste. You're on the right track it sounds to me Lord.Bachus. Coercer and Dirge are both super classes. I would have thrown in SK too, but if its the going thing right now, id prob pass on it too. SK is money though.

Not sure if you're a crafter type too, but Dirge skills are made by jewelers. If you check your skill lists and levels you get upgrades you can make a few bonus skills with the rare materials you might collect, but its not necessary to have every skill made better with a rare. It never hurts either though, hehe. Same goes for the Coercer, only sage would be your direction.

Im drawn to healer classes as well and I agree that eq2 healers leave you feeling desire for a bit more options. I prefer the Defiler and that might be worth checking out for you too. GL

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by arieste

Support classes in EQ2 are bards and chanters, no one else.  A necro is not a support class, it's a dps class.  Bards are ridiculously easy to play, in that no one cares if you're a good bard or a bad bard.   As long as you're a bard, you get a spot and everyone loves you.   Really good bards are few and far between for this reason.  A chanter will solo substantially better than a bard.  

I agree both bard and coercer sound like good choices for you

the bard was more fun personally for me but no question - the coercer solos better

• Baio2kBaio2k Member UncommonPosts: 162

Bards and Enchanters are great due to always being in high demand.  Bards are going to be tougher and slower to level, due to their weak dps.  

I'd say Illusionist is a great choice, don't understand why everyone has said coercer, they are both super usefull and totally awesome if played well.  You will be under the spotlight more as an Enchanter, for dps, people may get upset with you if they run out of power, people Will bicker over who should get your buffs, regardless of class actually. 

Bards are less pressure, you are not relied upon to keep people alive and casting, really you just need to keep your buffs up and not die.  Therefore people will care less if you are slacking a bit.  Make no mistake though, well played bards are highly valued, and make life easier for everyone.

My only experience with healing is from the Inquisitor, which has decent heals but is overshadowed due to how reactive heals are treated in relation to other types of heals.  Inqys can throw down some good group heals, and even some good dps is specced and geared right.  Inquisitor's shine in support though due to their exceptional curing abilities, which largly comes from their Mythical weapon, which hopefully has not been changed.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I said coercer because it's a bit more involved due to being in the MT group (on raids) and having to time flows and such, which is something the OP valued.  Illy is a great class also.  

Personally I play a healer and I'm extremely involved during combat and often have to react quickly and make split-second decisions.  I've not played a chanter, but i'd wager a healer is a whole lot more involved.   The problem is that once you get good, very few fights challenge you as a healer.   Only the high end encounters or times when you're solo-healing a weaker group.   90% of groups and raids, it's pretty easy if you know what you're doing.  With a DPS class, you're always fighting for that spot on the parse.  The healparse on the other hand isn't a huge deal as long as the raid is alive and well :) 

I play a Defiler btw.   Also, healers are annoying to solo level-up with.    

My recommendation stands at Coercer :)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

Inquisitors and Mystics can both put out really good DPS if specced correctly. Both are fun to play and especially Inq soloes really well.  Coercers are hard to play well but fun if you can play them , but they may also be next in line for the nerfbat as many thinks they are overpowered.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Knytta

Inquisitors and Mystics can both put out really good DPS if specced correctly. Both are fun to play and especially Inq soloes really well.  Coercers are hard to play well but fun if you can play them , but they may also be next in line for the nerfbat as many thinks they are overpowered.

Seems like the Inquisitor also has a lot of utillity next to healing and buffing ....

But at low levels their combat pace is slow compared to Shadow kinghts and dirges (my 2 other non mage tryouts) Will an inquisitors combat at higher level  and  with a combat cleric spec feel a bit faster?

• CoderCoder Member UncommonPosts: 63

I've played an Inq from launch to the end of TSO (with arieste a few years too! awesome defiler)

So keep in mind, the information I can give doesn't include any changes made after SF was released.

For starters you will need a descent amount of AA in the right place to be a viable dps healer, and you need a good weapon. As a Inq you should atleast beat a dirge of the same level and skill/gear, but an Sk of equal quality should be quicker. Put all 3 in the same group and you are golden.

Once you have about 180 AA you should have all the AA you will need, the rest are just added bonus. This will allow you to spec for melee combat and healing, yes, you won't have all the healing stuff but it's a fair tradeoff for standing around waiting for the mob to die due to old age.

As far as the combat pace being slow, Inquisitors are healers, if you want to kill things in 1-2 seconds, make an assassin/wizard. The slowest part is getting the first couple of AAs so you can start speccing for the melee AAs, after that things just go down faster and faster.

Some good things: You get plate armor, heals, a big mean crushing weapon and combat arts + some CC.

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

Really, it sounds like you'd fit a coercer perfectly. I have a froglok coercer. They are great because they are one of the least played classes, in high demand for groups and raids, keep you on your toes constantly and not to mention solo extremely well. I didn't CC much in dungeons, its true there seems to be a real lack of CC needed. But CC was really crucial for some of the end game RoK dungeons, and felt great having such an important role. Many people were surprised and greatful to have a rare and helpful class join them. It was kinda stressful at times because you never knew when your charm would break and your pet would turn on you. It wasn't that bad though once I got higher level charms. I always made sure to have a master quality charm, made a huge difference. But I enjoyed it because I loved charming new pets and seeing the kinds of abilities they had. Mage type pets were awesome and could dish out huge damage. Passerbys were sometimes flabbergasted by my solo ability. XD Never running out of mana was awesome as well, there is practically no down time.