Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't play this game if...

AirphelAirphel Member Posts: 51

you plan on being solo.

My first week in review? Horrible. I loved the game don't get me wrong, its a breath of fresh air in the all too restricting games that have came out in a long while, and I love anarchy, but for gods sakes, you seriously can't trust ANYONE in this game. ANYONE! Perhapse I had bad luck in MO, but the community is horrible. If you don't find less than reputable occupations in-game such as theif or red, then you have no chance from the get go.

So far my extractor managed to make 1 stack of steel, only to have 1 sword made, and have the rest stolen here and there by other "crafters", and then the last bit lost by death and have my horse killed as well. That isn't what bothers me. That was to be expected. What does bother me is that now, I've been forced to delete my characters and change my screen name due to harassment by one person. I go to mine, I get killed by their alt, I go to the bank, I get robbed, I leave town, I get killed, I withdraw my horse from the equirry guy, it gets killed, then I fight/flight, get killed. Now he/she has buddies in thier guild that are also instruced to do so, so I can't even go to two of the main cities. what started it? They stole my shiz, and I killed them for it.

Like I said, if your not in a guild already (even if i was in one, I still wouldn't trust them), don't plan on being a theif, or don't plan on being a red, don't play. Being a peaceful crafter/extractor gets nowhere. I've been nothing but generous and helpful to everyone I've met in game and just been beaten and taken advantage of, and have yet to meet another person with good intentions. All I can say is shame on them, and now they have spawned a villan, further contiuning the cycle of hate within the community.

So, IMO, its not the game or the company that will kill this game, its the community itself.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC)

Comments

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372

Being red/criminal is supposed to be difficult and you should not really bother untill you are at least good. Think of it as "end game", something you would do once you have already acumulated a lot of resources and have mastered the game.

As for being solo issue, yes solo you are not going to get far but it is the same in every FPS game that is not like WoW or the like. I do well in TF2, but if a clan joins the server I get killed all the time as they work together, same thing in MO.

For you it seems the best way to do it is to stay blue and kill some reds/grey that harass some protected towns, until you get better at least.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I say it time and time again.

FFA pvp with full loot is complete fail. These devs don't learn, Trammel should have been the end of ffa pvp with full loot in mmorpgs.

Noone wants to be harrassed as a brand new player and you can't expect a new player to instantly band together with other players while learning game mechanics on the first day.

These games do one thing, give complete freedom to the "bad guys" while the good and neutral guys are extremely limited.

CCP has already shown these nimrods how to make a quality sandbox game that offers different playstyle choices within the same server.

Games like MO are doing nothing but moving the sandbox sub genre backwards and by doing so guarantee that they will have a very small playerbase.

Hopefully MO will be the last game like this. What a way to ruin freedom in a sandbox.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

@OP

By no means am I saying you're wrong in describing your experiences, but I do have a few questions.

When someone killed your horse in town, why did you fight them instead of calling guards? At that point they SHOULD have had a criminal flag and callling guards is more reliable than fighting.

Did you play UO (pre-trammel)? If you have, can you roughly compare the two situations?  From my experience, if you learn the rules of thievery, you can largely protect yourself from it (i.e. weight limits, they need for you to hold still, etc.)

From what many people are posting on the MO forums, stealing does need to be reined in somewhat.  Apparently most people feel it is too easy and has only minimal risk.  This may get revised,  Even if it doesn't get revised, I can say that people do play differently during Beta that they would with their permanent character.

@Rockgod

I take it you haven't really looked at the system for Xsyon (which I only mention b/c of it being in your "waiting on" list)  Unless they change their plan, MO will not be the last game like this. (evil tribes get FFA attacking style and full loot, while good+neutral don't)

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by osmunda

@Rockgod

I take it you haven't really looked at the system for Xsyon (which I only mention b/c of it being in your "waiting on" list)  Unless they change their plan, MO will not be the last game like this. (evil tribes get FFA attacking style and full loot, while good+neutral don't)

Xsyon maybe the first game to do ffapvp right but as of right now i still strongly believe games should give everyone options and ffa doesn't do that for anyone that isnt a thief/murderer.

Might as well play a themepark they have less limitations for non-pvp types.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• AirphelAirphel Member Posts: 51

The killing of the horse was at the equirry guy, just out side of guards reach.

And my problem isn't the mechanics so much (yes theives need to be fixed), its the horrid community. I've been forced to change my characters screen name just because this small group of players wants to harass me into obivion.

No I never played UO, that was before my time I suppose, but I was an avid SB player.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by Airphel

The killing of the horse was at the equirry guy, just out side of guards reach.

And my problem isn't the mechanics so much (yes theives need to be fixed), its the horrid community. I've been forced to change my characters screen name just because this small group of players wants to harass me into obivion.

No I never played UO, that was before my time I suppose, but I was an avid SB player.

I think your point of contension will prove to be moot post release, bearing in mind game is in free all beta at moment and post release and the end of the free 30 days, the population of the game will change drasticly.

Some will say to dust bunnies, some will say only to a few niche players, but I do see a fairly decent RP,ers presnce as well as other groups, how that translates to subs post free month remains to be seen, by the same token a lot of your issues will lower vastly.

When and if they sort the clan towns out will also yet again change the dynamics, but going to leave it at that because as this is an opinion I can not fully endorse that will actually happen.

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Ahh didn't know the stables you used were outside the guard zone.  Best I can say there is post it on the MO boards as a suggestion. Moving the boundary a bit would be an easy fix for that particular aggravation.

As for the community, there is probably somewhat of a disparate impact.  The people wishing to do you harm will seek you (as a new player) out, while everyone else will run into you casually.  Because of this, the peopl with hostile intent will dominate your initial experience more than they should based on their relative size in the population.  Also, I'm not sure of the current status of the "fledgeling" flag. Your character is supposed to be immune to stealing & PVP for the first 20 hours, allowing you to get a foothold in the world before being exposed to those parts of the game.  My understanding is that that is turned off just for beta testing.

Unfortunately, a little of what your seeing is just inevitable with any game that allows this degree of player interaction.

@ Rockgod

Xsyon might do it right, but as currently described, I don't see how it is much different from the flagging system in MO.  In Xsyon, Evil tribes can attack anyone they want and fight them to the death, then loot everything  from the body (i.e. FFA and full loot).  Neutral and Good tribes can only attack enemy tribes and only get limited looting rights.  This doesn't strike me as very different from "reds can attack anyone and fully loot" and "blues can only attack criminals, murderers and rival guilds".  If anything, it seems weaker,since MO has the 10% stat loss for murderers while Xsyon doesn't have anything equivalent.  If you want to get into that a little bit more, feel free to start a thread on the mmorpg.com  Xsyon forum. Much more than what I've alreay posted might get into thread hijacking territory.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Originally posted by Cristina1

As for being solo issue, yes solo you are not going to get far but it is the same in every FPS game that is not like WoW or the like. I do well in TF2, but if a clan joins the server I get killed all the time as they work together, same thing in MO.

Stupid editor won't let me type outside the quote...

ANYHOW... looks like we definately agree on something.  MO plays a lot more like an FPS shooter than an MMORPG!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Reminds me of the DAoC PvP servers. That community was so horrible even those players didn't want to play with each other. Don't forget how Shadowbane turned out. Hmm, I'm seeing a connection...

Shadowbane died because of Shadowbane.exe and the poor performance in general when a large number of payers got together on screen.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161

They stole my shiz, and I killed them for it.

This statement makes me think that there is more to the story...  Justifiable or not, something was done to incur their wrath.  It's silly that it was taken to such an extreme.

So, IMO, its not the game or the company that will kill this game, its the community itself.

But I fully agree with this statement.  I see this happening in all MMOs.  As they become more popular, there will be more jerks playing them.  The internet lends itself to people behaving in a less than courteous manner.

In another MMO, I recently confronted another player that harvested right out from under me while I was fighting.  His response: "That's the way I roll."  My only available reaction is to not take it personally that the guy is rude.

I would not know how to not take your victimization personally though...

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Sounds like this game is not for carebears or people with weak stomachs.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• ...Or for those that don't want to kill, steal, kill, gank...did I mention steal?

There are some decent people, but those are, judging from the ones I have met so far, few and far in between.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i'v sed it before and i'll say it again.

Full loot pvp mmo cater to the worst kind of mmo players generally described as greefers, gankers, campers. people who pretty much only enjoy greefing other players.

in this particula game there is also nothing to do once you have maxed your stats and crafted a few weappons. there are no quest, no levels to gain, very little to discover, no pve challanges, no land to control, no cities to build, no gear to farm, not battle grounds, nothing to spend your gold on,  absolutely nothing except.......

Killing other players.

Now 80% of the population will be riding arround in full armor looking for the easiest target which most of the times will be any nube farming mats.

this is alrady happening and the game has only been in beta for 1 month. it will only get worse once the game is launched.  

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

Full loot pvp mmo cater to the worst kind of mmo players generally described as greefers, gankers, campers. people who pretty much only enjoy greefing other players.

in this particula game there is also nothing to do once you have maxed your stats and crafted a few weappons. there are no quest, no levels to gain, very little to discover, no pve challanges, no land to control, no cities to build, no gear to farm, not battle grounds, nothing to spend your gold on,  absolutely nothing except.......

Killing other players.

Now 80% of the population will be riding arround in full armor looking for the easiest target which most of the times will be any nube farming mats.

this is alrady happening and the game has only been in beta for 1 month. it will only get worse once the game is launched.  

Actually it's been in beta for over 9 months now.. even open beta has been going on for several months.

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

Killing other players.

I read a post by Angarato yesterday or something, where he said he got great enjoyment by killing some noobs and taking their stuff to re-equip. I know what he means -- we did it in UO too, albeit with better sandbox systems around it.

But the problem with that, is that he's in the minority of the enjoyment. The guy he killed to get his stuff, is probably pissed off. And you can only kill them so many times before they quit. This is why having a solid business plan to keep these things in mind is EXTREMELY important, because the game won't go anywhere far without those things. It's partly why UO changed, and brought Trammel -- of which the VAST amount of the population went there. It's why WOW is so successful, because it's enjoyable and not harsh on new players. And it's also why games like Shadowbane failed.

Believe me, I want a PvP sandbox MMO -- but I also want one that's well designed and keeps in mind the idea of RETAINING customers. I want to play the game for a LONG time, I want to be able to invest time into it without the fear that bad business plans will make it collapse. This is what I think will happen with MO. In addition to the plethora of technical problems that plague their game -- most of which will still exist after Epic's help -- the game has a bad design and isn't set up to retain any customers.

While I hope for a PvP sandbox MMO, I honestly don't think we'll ever see the day of a really successful one. EVE is the best example, but it keeps players risk proportional to reward with 0.0 space and other zones that are safer. It's not a "kill or be killed" environment unless you specifically engage in it. In MO, it's thrust upon you whether you want it or not, and it will be one of the bigger downfalls of the game. If you add in all the technical problems, the lack of features, the broken features, and the plain old poorly implemented ones well... you have a game that's a failure right out of the gate.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

I stopped at (You plan on being solo)

OP, i started as a solo player and i still play solo. Im doing well on pvp. So you are totally wrong. Now, il go back to the OP the read what he have to say.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    Shadowbane died because of Shadowbane.exe and the poor performance in general when a large number of payers got together on screen.

Oh that reminds me of the time in MO when the devs wanted to make a video of mounted combat, 2 large lines of people attacking each other on an open field.

Calling it a slideshow would be an insult to slideshows everywhere :D

• AirphelAirphel Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by Hluill

They stole my shiz, and I killed them for it.

This statement makes me think that there is more to the story...  Justifiable or not, something was done to incur their wrath.  It's silly that it was taken to such an extreme.

No, I was outside of town using a furnace making pig iron witch you can't look away during the 5 seconds it takes to extract, and they took my pig iron, I hit them, they ran. Come back awhile later, same thing again, I give up, switch to my alt, run out there and kill them only to find that they have already dropped it, so I killed them for the sheer satisfaction of killing a dirty theif. 2 days later, I'm grinding some stone, and a different character with full gear comes up and murders me, and says, "I remember you, thats for my theif." Later, I'm on my alt at the Equirry NPC just outside of town withdrawing my horse, and he runs up and kills my horse, then me. At that point the only good item I had left, (after loosing my armor earler that day) was my steel sword. Now I'm nude with absolutely nothing but gained skills. I can't leave that town without getting killed by him and his buddies, so I'm going to move my character to a different town on foot in the death mode. Its just sheer harassment at this point.

Shadowbane had its issues, but it did have an excellent community, or I was just lucky. After being in many guilds and banes, I was a co-leader of a smaller guild, and had a great time. People where always willing to band together there for the greater good.

Hate begets hate, and then spreads like wildfire. The MO community is currently in bad shape because everyone is pissed at everyone, and ends up making theives since they get so many things stolen, and it goes on and on.  I'm in a much better mood after the hell of playing yesterday, and still have good intensions again, but a person can only take so much.

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242

I suppose there is nothing wrong as such with FFA PVP loot, it's SV's game and if they want it to be brutal and extremely unforgiving to the new player then that's their choice. However, that does limit the player base to the self-styled "hardcore" players who like that kind of challenge, and I have a sneaky suspicion that SV and their die-hard fans are going to discover post-release that there are fewer of them around than they think. It doesn't help that Mortal Online's bugs will also ensure a lot of their target audience prefer to remain in more polished and established games like Eve.

The killer here is that much of Mortal Online's end-game play, such as sieges and player cities, will obviously require a healthy population to really work. Without some kind of newbie area to ease new players into the game, and a massive overhaul of various systems to make it more user-friendly and less prone to abuse like the OP's experiences, I believe Mortal Online will be too "hardcore" for its own good.

I could be completely wrong of course, I'm just saying that if you're going down the full loot FFA system, you need some way of introducing it slowly to the new player. Like slowly dipping a toe into a hot bath rather than jumping in straight away.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

This game, which I tried aint for me, and I'm a fan of sandboxy games primarily.  If only it were'nt so hardcore, and had even the slightest appeal for soloing; just in the slightest.  But I stopped too.  When pvp is on 100% of the time, everywhere, even in towns with thievery, it isn't entertaining, but draining.  Cant even walk to an npc vendor to sell something without it being stolen from your pack.  /fail

• NatarayaNataraya Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

This game, which I tried aint for me, and I'm a fan of sandboxy games primarily.  If only it were'nt so hardcore, and had even the slightest appeal for soloing; just in the slightest.  But I stopped too.  When pvp is on 100% of the time, everywhere, even in towns with thievery, it isn't entertaining, but draining.  Cant even walk to an npc vendor to sell something without it being stolen from your pack.  /fail

Hi mate, i have made a poll on MO forums about if ppl will play guilded, and even when u are right and soloing in MO makes things even harder, there is a no small group of ppl who dont plan to play with a clan or guild me included, true you are comunity dependant but that aint bad thing in a mmorpg, need people to help you trading items or gearing urself but rest of players are in same urge so easy to find someone willing to help, once u helped a guy u know u can trust him (most of times) and so on...

The problem u had in cities can be solved most of times moving to a smaller or less populated city and use the main ones as trade nodes; if want to give it another try i suggest u move to Bakti, thieves free city, can try a pk city too where thieves cant abuse guard system.

hope helps

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Nataraya

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

The problem u had in cities can be solved most of times moving to a smaller or less populated city and use the main ones as trade nodes; if want to give it another try i suggest u move to Bakti, thieves free city, can try a pk city too where thieves cant abuse guard system.

Thanks for the suggestion.  That will encourage me to try again.  Bakti? Any other thief-free cities? I guess I would have to choose it at character creation?

• NatarayaNataraya Member Posts: 78

I think nearest spawn point to Bakti is Vadda, have to make little walk from there.

Other places besides Bakti, good for a smother start might be Toxai (never been too much arround) Vadda itself (no thief free), and small pk city Kranesh no thieves, have library and good resources arround but u are in PK´s territory and u ´ll need some diplomatic skills, also big guilds raid this city often killing everyone arround.

Main thing is try to avoid big cities and mostly Meduli. Its an open city without fences this, and the three banks make it more easy to exploit the flaging system, same with Fabernum, no very friendly but loads of crafters there, intown just have to worry about thieves; dont ever walk by Gaul Khor (big pk city) unles u seek adventure; and imo same with Morni Khur big city with big extension but easy to gank the main access.

XD enjoy

• mKaarumKaaru Member Posts: 13

mortal online is a god awefull game.. i like a breath of fresh air every now and then, but starvault chokes you from the beginning..

the amount of bugs present in this game is staggering, the best sound quality in your windows system makes the game crash... i can't imagine they actually had a launch date settled for their RC, and i have a game system that can handle the unreal 3 engine on high quality with ease but the world looked so extremly bland... flat textures and all, and yes i had my settings on high at 1680x1050 but it looked GOD AWEFULL

still decided to give it a go, but its way too hardcore and everyone on the testserver is a backstabbing bastard due to the game mechanics..

screw this game, look for the collector edition review of mortal online at youtube... this company and their game sucks