Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Who still plays STO?

Comments

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

I've been counting up all the current players on the Captain Database. I'll report my findings in a week, but as of right now, my numbers show STO well below 100k subs.

Also, I voted no.

Though I reserve to right to one day revisit the game. After all, Conan surprised me with its 180.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by Ravik

Kinda surprising how much fun you can have playing a game like this if you have friends playing with you.

Indeed!

In fact any game can be fun when played with others, thats the intention of MMO's.

However when they player base drops.. the life blood of the game also drops and so does the enjoyment.

With cryptic putting an extra division by making content accessible to only a portion of its customers they segragate them even more!

This means that no matter how good the game gets it will never see the popularity that an MMO's needs to survive.

• Originally posted by Spiderpope

never going anywhere near another Cryptic game again.

This

• oobeoobe Member UncommonPosts: 60

Originally posted by dorianyates

Originally posted by Spiderpope

never going anywhere near another Cryptic game again.

This

Definately

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

Nope, never even bought it. Played through  the Open Beta and realised I didn't want to pay for it.

I'm assuming my "no" vote is valid, I did play, just wouldn't pay.

Your no vote is just as valid as someone who bought the game. You played it in Beta and decided it wasn't for you.  That is the purpose of the poll.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ChristineChristine Member Posts: 1

Voted no: signed up to the forums last year and waited anxiously to play. Pre-ordered from Amazon here in the UK and received my open beta key and shortly thereafter, my headstart key. Didn't even make it to headstart as I cancelled my pre-order. My husband did the same. Never played a crappier game, imo.

P.S. I've been a member of MMORPG.com for a very long time. I like to read other people's opinions and do research, thus my non-existent post total; but my experience with STO has motivated me to add my two cents.

MMO's played: Gemstone III, EQ, AC, ACII, DAoC, Horizons, VG, SWG, LOTRO, D&DO, GW, CoH, EQII, AoC, FR, RoM, STO, EQIIx, Lego Universe, G&H, SWTOR, Rift, Fiesta Online, TERA, MH2015, Eldevin

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

I've been counting up all the current players on the Captain Database. I'll report my findings in a week, but as of right now, my numbers show STO well below 100k subs.

Also, I voted no.

Though I reserve to right to one day revisit the game. After all, Conan surprised me with its 180.

It's true that Conan turned things around very well, but they fired their lead dev to do that. I'm afraid it would take a major shakeup at Cryptic to ever get STO turned around.

I just might not get it, but I think Zinc will have to go first, followed soon after by Bill Roper and Jack Emmert.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Also, I voted no.

AoC *may* have finally gotten to a point where it's worth subscribing to, but it's probably too late for it to be anything other than a niche game.  I gave it another shot last summer, and while improved, I still found it lacking.  They had to do another round of mergers recently despite their improvements to the game.

I doubt STO can pull it off because in two years Cryptic will either be working on its' next turd and barely devoting enough manpower to occasionally patch the game and add C-store items, or have closed their doors.  Jack's statement about them having over 100k was before the 2nd billing cycle started in April, and I doubt they can still say that.  For the first ever Trek MMO to have such woeful numbers this soon after launch tells you how bad the game is at its' core.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Games that dont do well get the dev teams stripped which in turn only slows down future content and fixes.  They will either begin to layoff people or move them onto something else since the profits wont be there.  STO if they havent already will likely begin this process soon and if they even think of releasing another MMO all this will come back to bite them on the butt.  I just dont understand why so many of these companies after years of lessons learned from other companies mistakes continue to release crappy unfinished product and expect people to pay and stick around for it?  really?

• MeTedMeTed Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by Xondar123

Also, I voted no.

It's true that Conan turned things around very well, but they fired their lead dev to do that. I'm afraid it would take a major shakeup at Cryptic to ever get STO turned around.

I just might not get it, but I think Zinc will have to go first, followed soon after by Bill Roper and Jack Emmert.

Zinc should have had a death penalty and time sinks such as repairing at a starbase or replacing equipment etc. to keep people from leveling so fast. I think that's where he screwed the pooch. He wanted it to be more casual and fun but you just can't do that with a game already lacking in content. It at least would have bought them a bit more time to get more Klingon and Fed missions in the game.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Spiderpope

Played it, cancelled, sub ran out today and never going anywhere near another Cryptic game again.

I played through some closed beta all of open beta and subbed until April sixth and after reading some bit's about the season two update and seeing no actual gameplay features and as much C-Store crap as basic content addition I cancelled right before getting charged again for the month of april, and am thankful for that because in the last month I have had to force myself to play that game for a total of maybe one hour through four different times of forcing myself to even log on.

I generally reserve my company wide boycotts for companies I feel are dishonest like Funcom or SOE but I can say with certainty that I will never touch another Cryptic game again, to hell with my love of D&D if Cryptic makes Neverwinter Nights I will not touch the game.  They have proven to me that their philosphy on what makes a game fun is entirely lacking and they had the perfect chance to prove me wrong with STO but they didn't they just confirmed what I thought since I first experienced anything they touched way back in the days of COH.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• SUMB44SUMB44 Member Posts: 182

I played in the open beta, and for the first month and a half or so.  I built a new computer, using a new OS but still haven't got around to reinstalling STO.  Maybe this weekend?  I just don't feel like I'm missing much.

• championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by jaxsundane

I generally reserve my company wide boycotts for companies I feel are dishonest like Funcom or SOE but I can say with certainty that I will never touch another Cryptic game again, to hell with my love of D&D if Cryptic makes Neverwinter Nights I will not touch the game.  They have proven to me that their philosphy on what makes a game fun is entirely lacking and they had the perfect chance to prove me wrong with STO but they didn't they just confirmed what I thought since I first experienced anything they touched way back in the days of COH.

Don't worry, they have confirmed that their future projects in the works (there are more than one) will be original IPs, so they will not be doing Neverwinter Nights.   

Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

I never played STO.  It looked like garbage before it came out.  I called it such on these forums and urged people not to buy it (and I pointed to CO as another example of a rushed game by Cryptic).  A day or two after the game was released I lost interest in posting on this forum, but I checked back every week or three (this post and one other I made today are the only ones I've made on here since shortly after the game came out..  It turned out much as I expected. 

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I played some of the beta and then started playing again 3 weeks ago in a casual fashion and am really enjoying the game, so far alot more fun then wow or lotro, especially the space game , even the ground game while clunky works for me. I will deftinitly be renewing next month,  by the way i find this game much more enjoyable then co

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

No. I got Admiral 5 the last week of February and had completed all content that wasn't broken or not fully implemented (The Big Dig, The assault of DS9, etc.)

Will I go back? No. I'm not big on themepark games in the first place and when one can't keep up with content so that I'm not milling around or not logging in for a week or three waiting for new content, well, I don't see a need in paying for that.

Will I play another Cryptic title. I seriously doubt it. I personally think it is possible to make a sandbox game in the time it took them to make STO with tools such as I have described in other threads that would allow me to make my own content. If they did this, I might entertain the idea of trying it. Other than that, I won't be a customer of theirs unless I found employment in gaming media and it was my job.

so you dont like theme park mmo's yet you still decided to play STO. This just sounds to me like you didnt de a stich of research into what you were buying, never a good decision. In fact if you dont like theme parks why would you go near ANY cryptic MMO? do you know nothing about thier games? Thats just what it seems like in this case...

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby

Also, I voted no.

what 180, i tried Conan again 1 month ago, still hate it... meh but that personal pref I guess lol :)

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • EsherdonEsherdon Member UncommonPosts: 47

I finally gave up on this game and canceled my account. I got sick of having to redo missions because of crashes and the very non Star Trek feel of the game. I was waiting to be called back to earth to answer for war crimes with all of the death my crew dished out  but it seems this is the way of the federation now...

"Onward to adventure".

• CohasCohas Member UncommonPosts: 152

im still playing STO and enjoying very much. 

Have No Fear Cohas is here!!!

Originally posted by Cohas

im still playing STO and enjoying very much. 

good on ya, im not playing STO anymore, but again, personal preferance. As far as im concerned if your playing and enjoying it, thats all that counts.

• JamionJamion Member UncommonPosts: 59

I play, and it is awesome now that all the mourners are gone.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Yup still playing it and having a blast! The community is real friendly and easy to pick up groups when ever you want. I really like the diversity each class gives and leveling up your Bridge crews with different skills is the win!
  • lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

I play about a day or two out of the week with my RL friend and/or my Fleet if they are doing an STF.

It's still fun in short bursts.

But I'm a Lifer, so really I can't really say I count.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by ianicus

No. I got Admiral 5 the last week of February and had completed all content that wasn't broken or not fully implemented (The Big Dig, The assault of DS9, etc.)

Will I go back? No. I'm not big on themepark games in the first place and when one can't keep up with content so that I'm not milling around or not logging in for a week or three waiting for new content, well, I don't see a need in paying for that.

Will I play another Cryptic title. I seriously doubt it. I personally think it is possible to make a sandbox game in the time it took them to make STO with tools such as I have described in other threads that would allow me to make my own content. If they did this, I might entertain the idea of trying it. Other than that, I won't be a customer of theirs unless I found employment in gaming media and it was my job.

so you dont like theme park mmo's yet you still decided to play STO. This just sounds to me like you didnt de a stich of research into what you were buying, never a good decision. In fact if you dont like theme parks why would you go near ANY cryptic MMO? do you know nothing about thier games? Thats just what it seems like in this case...

Point of fact I had been in the beta for a good long while. That said, I have these things called real life friends that wanted to play. So in the interest of being a good friend and interacting in a positive social manner i joined my friends in playing this game cause that's what friends do. You know, with their friends. image

As for the reason if I don't like themeparks why would I go near them? Well, I'd be more than happy if you could point me toward a couple of AAA sandboxes in development. Unfortunately, in reference to you not doing research comments, I'm on this site every day, hours at a time, and I do plenty of reserach on all upcoming P2P titles, even games i don't intend on playing. So I know at current there are no announced AAA sandboxes. Be awesome if their were. Until then I have to try to find a AAA themepark I can stomach. Que sera. *shrug*

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by ianicus

Point of fact I had been in the beta for a good long while. That said, I have these things called real life friends that wanted to play. So in the interest of being a good friend and interacting in a positive social manner i joined my friends in playing this game cause that's what friends do. You know, with their friends. image

As for the reason if I don't like themeparks why would I go near them? Well, I'd be more than happy if you could point me toward a couple of AAA sandboxes in development. Unfortunately, in reference to you not doing research comments, I'm on this site every day, hours at a time, and I do plenty of reserach on all upcoming P2P titles, even games i don't intend on playing. So I know at current there are no announced AAA sandboxes. Be awesome if their were. Until then I have to try to find a AAA themepark I can stomach. Que sera. *shrug*

So you barely tolerate themeparks from what both of your posts seem to trend towards, yet you still play them, and complain. I just dont see the point, thanks for supporting the industry i guess, but it seems to be that you are the one shooting themselves in the foot for thier friends sake, admirable, but not the greatest reason, but we all have our own I guess (even if they are...kinda dumb).

As to doing research, why do you bother if your not going to use said research to make an educated decision on a game to play you might acctualy enjoy. I know your trying to come off as all smart and stuff...not so much happening dude...not so much.

PS I also have "these things called real life friends" though im sure they would be kinda like wtf dude? if I called them "real life friends" (as not all my friends play MMO's, which is great, lets me take mmo breaks and acctualy get out into that real world you are so fond of)... and never the less, I dont jump onto every bandwagon game they subscribe to....

again we all have our reasons, some good.....some....yeeeah....im just gonna stop now :)