Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Played for a month, Game is to carebear.

2»

Comments

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

Any game that turns off people that use the term 'carebear' is ok in my book.

• xtoturnwithixtoturnwithi Member Posts: 136

Originally posted by mCalvert

Originally posted by xtoturnwithi

When you run out of PvE content on your max level toon, roll another toon. Try out a different class/profession/faction. You have a max level Horde toon, maybe try out an Alliance toon. God, I hate myself for using WoW as an example...

And your comment about MMOs being about conflict seem rather misinformed, given the fact that they're built on cooperative missions, but I'm assuming you're a PvPer, so you're probably skewed that way. But, let's be real here. I have a friend who worked as a CSR for a major MMO and they had more suspensions spawned from PvP-related issues than anything else because abusive behavior is almost always a direct result of PvP. It brings out the absolute worst behavior in people. It makes me wonder why companies put PvP in at all, then I realize it's because there are so many people out there who won't play a game if it has no PvP, because somehow that's the only reason for some people to play online. But that really seems ridiculous to me to have a company spend years writing quests, programming the events, building the worlds, etc if  someone thinks the only reason to play is to be internet tough guys.

I can think of nothing more boring than grinding up another class once youve done it. As you say, people WANT pvp. Do they make games for the customer or for themselves?

Think of how many games come out where the PvP feels broken or tacked on at the last minute and you can answer that question yourself. People want to listen to Nickelback too, but that really doesn't mean they should.

Most game developers make a game because they want to tell a story and want the audience to get to experience it. They want to take the player to another place and time and immerse you in a world they created. They're writing an interactive digital movie. That's the main feature. Then they tack on PvP because they know that there are people out there who won't buy a game unless you can bully and ridicule each other online, which is why a lot of developers stopped enforcing character name policies except in cases of extreme offensiveness and why the EULA seems more like a suggestion than a rule half the time, because if they actually enforced it, most PvPers would be banned from any MMO on the market for abusive/offensive/racist/homophobic language (which is forbidden by the EULA of every game out there).

This is why if they come out with a Fallout or Elder Scrolls MMO, I'll be unlikely to play, because the last thing I want to do is be standing in Anvil and have some cartoonishly big breasted Khajit named "SuperPussy420" run up to me, note that I'm 10 levels lower, and type "dual me fagit", then harass me about what a pu$$y I am over tells for the next 20 minutes because I declined, which is a similar situation to something that happens to me on every MMO I've played since 1998 except LotRO.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Originally posted by Czanrei

It's ironic that if an mmo doesn't have a whole lot of pvp in the content that some players whine and want more added. But if a game starts out with pure pvp, it always fails horribly because players in those settings lose all sense of how to build a community and they continuously chase new players off. Mmo pvp'rs need to have a reality check and realize too much pvp is not a good thing because they obviously can't be trusted with the responsibility. It all starts with the ones who over-use the term "Carebear". Those players might want to try talking to someone who knows what real death is about in the real world before they rush to cause it themselves so carelessly. 

Have you played eve or darkfall? And are you really going to argue real life?

When you run out of PvE content on your max level toon, roll another toon. Try out a different class/profession/faction. You have a max level Horde toon, maybe try out an Alliance toon. God, I hate myself for using WoW as an example...

And your comment about MMOs being about conflict seem rather misinformed, given the fact that they're built on cooperative missions, but I'm assuming you're a PvPer, so you're probably skewed that way. But, let's be real here. I have a friend who worked as a CSR for a major MMO and they had more suspensions spawned from PvP-related issues than anything else because abusive behavior is almost always a direct result of PvP. It brings out the absolute worst behavior in people. It makes me wonder why companies put PvP in at all, then I realize it's because there are so many people out there who won't play a game if it has no PvP, because somehow that's the only reason for some people to play online. But that really seems ridiculous to me to have a company spend years writing quests, programming the events, building the worlds, etc if  someone thinks the only reason to play is to be internet tough guys.

I can think of nothing more boring than grinding up another class once youve done it. As you say, people WANT pvp. Do they make games for the customer or for themselves?

Think of how many games come out where the PvP feels broken or tacked on at the last minute and you can answer that question yourself. People want to listen to Nickelback too, but that really doesn't mean they should.

Most game developers make a game because they want to tell a story and want the audience to get to experience it. They want to take the player to another place and time and immerse you in a world they created. They're writing an interactive digital movie. That's the main feature. Then they tack on PvP because they know that there are people out there who won't buy a game unless you can bully and ridicule each other online, which is why a lot of developers stopped enforcing character name policies except in cases of extreme offensiveness and why the EULA seems more like a suggestion than a rule half the time, because if they actually enforced it, most PvPers would be banned from any MMO on the market for abusive/offensive/racist/homophobic language (which is forbidden by the EULA of every game out there).

This is why if they come out with a Fallout or Elder Scrolls MMO, I'll be unlikely to play, because the last thing I want to do is be standing in Anvil and have some cartoonishly big breasted Khajit named "SuperPussy420" run up to me, note that I'm 10 levels lower, and type "dual me fagit", then harass me about what a pu$$y I am over tells for the next 20 minutes because I declined, which is a similar situation to something that happens to me on every MMO I've played since 1998 except LotRO.

No said it should be unregulated, only that a game MUST have competition or it will fail.

No said it should be unregulated, only that a game MUST have competition or it will fail.

Fail? Doubtful. Not do a s well as a game with PvP? Probably won't, but if I've learned anything from playing LotRO, it's that smaller population and lack of PvP tends to mean a much tighter-knit community, less use of the /ignore command, and a generally better experience with less headache and less need to bother the mods with stupid crap. Smaller population doesn't mean worse game. Just, typically, less asshattery.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

It's ironic that if an mmo doesn't have a whole lot of pvp in the content that some players whine and want more added. But if a game starts out with pure pvp, it always fails horribly because players in those settings lose all sense of how to build a community and they continuously chase new players off. Mmo pvp'rs need to have a reality check and realize too much pvp is not a good thing because they obviously can't be trusted with the responsibility. It all starts with the ones who over-use the term "Carebear". Those players might want to try talking to someone who knows what real death is about in the real world before they rush to cause it themselves so carelessly. 

Yes I have played both EVE and DF. I was in beta for EVE and played through launch. EVE is not 100% pvp, it is a mix of pvp and pve so don't bother using it for an example for a pure pvp mmo. DF is far from succesful and has become a niche game at best so I fail to see your point of your mind-blowing one-liner. As far as real life goes, it has little in common with gaming other than you use your mind for both. If a person's mind is so different in behavior while doing one or the other, then one might need some mental evaluation. 

Yes I have played both EVE and DF. I was in beta for EVE and played through launch. EVE is not 100% pvp, it is a mix of pvp and pve so don't bother using it for an example for a pure pvp mmo. DF is far from succesful and has become a niche game at best so I fail to see your point of your mind-blowing one-liner. As far as real life goes, it has little in common with gaming other than you use your mind for both. If a person's mind is so different in behavior while doing one or the other, then one might need some mental evaluation. 

Very well said.

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

Originally posted by bartillo

Most of the community entirely against PvP... The next patch is adding instanced arena pvp with no penalties, while world pvp will still have decay etc.. So thats the death of world pvp.

The game is pretty much single player based.. there is no group pve content either.. And everyone just crafts their on gear with no tradeskill caps, so the economy is ruined.

The game could be great if it was a real sandbox.. if conflict towns (which no one fights over) where owned by clans and siegeable, If there was player housing, and cities. Then the game could be awesome!

Apparently 1.5 is adding "clan wars" which allows you to be attacked anywhere if at war but I am almost postive both clans have to consent which will rarely  ever happen.

Well time to wait for Earthrise.

Game is TOO carebear...you tool.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

You said games that are pure PVP dont build communities and run people off, and fail. EVE are Darkfall are proof you are wrong. Everythign in those games revolve around PVP, be it shooting at each other or trading.

I dont really see the point of saying PVPers have mental problems. Have you never played cowboys and indians or cops and robbers? Competition is in every aspect of life. Which is why its important in games. People want to WIN. And regarding Fallen Earth, we are not suggesting it has to change. We are simply expressing what we like, and what we dont like about FE. You are taking it too personally.

You said games that are pure PVP dont build communities and run people off, and fail. EVE are Darkfall are proof you are wrong. Everythign in those games revolve around PVP, be it shooting at each other or trading.

I dont really see the point of saying PVPers have mental problems. Have you never played cowboys and indians or cops and robbers? Competition is in every aspect of life. Which is why its important in games. People want to WIN. And regarding Fallen Earth, we are not suggesting it has to change. We are simply expressing what we like, and what we dont like about FE. You are taking it too personally.

Darkfall isn't pure PvP, so that's not a good example. Plus, from what a lot of people here have said, Darkfall isn't doing so hot.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by deniter

I've had FE installed on my PC in case i'm gonna renew my subscription at some point. Yesterday I read the latest patch notes and uninstalled the game immediately. As someone already said, this game has become a post apocalypse WoW. An arena in FE, are you kidding me?

It's a shame every game has to follow the path that the most succesful mmo is going, even if it was a highway to hell.

Can you blame them? Apparently they are not doing so well going the other way.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

I wonder... if and when Carebares Online comes out... how carebare that game will be, and will characters in that game be able to eat pizza rolls.  Now that is a valid concern right there.

/ponder

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443

Originally posted by nWoLonewulf

Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

How far into the game did you get in your month OP.  Your post smacks of someone that didn't make it out of S1, or possibly even half way through it.

This is exactly correct, if anyone truly played this game and made it out of S1, they wouldn't call this game carebear.

Myth busted. I have made it to s3, and its too carebear still. Back to darkfall...

Darkfall > Failen Earth