Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AiON: Solo / casual friendly?

suizendosuizendo Member UncommonPosts: 67

Just a quick question:

How is this game for a primarily solo / casual gamer?

I love to pvp - is it possible to just log on and do some pvp for a bit (at later lvls) as a solo player?

I hear the 1.9 patch will increase XP gains, so what is the timeframe for a casual player to reach cap? (10-12 hours a wekk)

Ive had my eye on this game for a while, but have been on the fence - If someone had a buddy / trial key they can toss me i would be really grateful, and more capable of making up my mind

thanks, AiON community!

Comments

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

Hey, in my personal opinion the game is very group-oriented. From level 17 onwards you start to come across elite camps and zones that are mainly there for groups to quest/grind in. However if you pick the right class you could solo these elite mobs, but still you would be missing a lot of quests. Contrary to popular belief there are more than your fair share of quests, which, while a bit inconsistent depending on the level ranges, will take you to max level if you mix it up with dungeons and group quests. Crafting/Gathering helps a bit as well. Basically you need diversity to enjoy it, if you are mostly going to be soloing to cap then I doubt you will stick around after levels 30-35.

It could take a casual player anywhere between 3-5months to reach level cap, that's how it is currently. I have no idea by how much the exp gains are increased because I simply don't care (you could find out by reading translated korean posts since 1.9 has been out for more than 2weeks over there). I like that it takes a decent while to level compared to other fast-food MMOs, even though it still isn't anywhere near Lineage 2 or FFXI's level. It's just the right amount.

The only PvP you will get as a solo player is basically just ganking. I wouldn't recommend Aion if you'd rather just log for 30mins for some PvP then log off. Have you tried WAR? This game is basically tailored for it. You can log and make the most of just a few minutes by joining a scenario and getting into the thick of the action quickly.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by suizendo

Just a quick question:

How is this game for a primarily solo / casual gamer?

I love to pvp - is it possible to just log on and do some pvp for a bit (at later lvls) as a solo player?

I hear the 1.9 patch will increase XP gains, so what is the timeframe for a casual player to reach cap? (10-12 hours a wekk)

Ive had my eye on this game for a while, but have been on the fence - If someone had a buddy / trial key they can toss me i would be really grateful, and more capable of making up my mind

thanks, AiON community!

IMO Aion is very solo friendly.  There are plenty of solo quest but at some point you will run into group quests. But if you don't mind getting a group for them you can get them knocked out fairly quickly to get back to solo play.

You can acutally get to max level pretty fast if you explore for quests, do instances and play during double xp wekkends.  I have seen people casually play and reach 50 and about a 2 -2 1/2 monthes.  3-5 is not really acurate imo.  

Also the trial is not very good. But if you really want one toss me and e-mail [email protected]

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

Well it all depends on what is really meant by 'casual'. A casual player IMO is a player who might not even log everyday, and when he does log he doesn't play more than 3hours. It really depends what he does in these few hours as well. I think 3-5 is accurate taken this into consideration.

Aion could probably be played mostly solo, but I personally couldn't because it was so boring. Also you feel as if the game is group-oriented in later levels, and you would miss a lot of content if you barely grouped.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

What electriceye said. It really is more group orientated. You can get by PVE solo (except the most fun and most rewarding content is group). Casual PvP solo .....well good luck with that.

Not sure why people are telling you otherwise, fans of the game I guess. Having said that they are doing you no favours.

Oh and it really isn't casual friendly. You will have to grind at later levels, OK if you enjoy grind I guess.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Gorilla

What electriceye said. It really is more group orientated. You can get by PVE solo (except the most fun and most rewarding content is group). Casual PvP solo .....well good luck with that.

Not sure why people are telling you otherwise, fans of the game I guess. Having said that they are doing you no favours.

Oh and it really isn't casual friendly. You will have to grind at later levels, OK if you enjoy grind I guess.

I know plenty of people that solo pvp. Of course they are not taken forts and stuff like that.  Not saying its fun but if your a person who likes to solo.. rifting will be the way to go.  At some point you will have to group for campaign quests.  A friend and I usually duo most of them. My suggetion is get a good legion and party when you want/need to.

• dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229

Solo PvP is great, so long as you don't get ganked. Rifting is the way to go for definite but once you get above lvl 33/34 rifting will either be too easy (so not worth while for abyss points) or frustratingly difficult, until you reach later levels. I loved solo rifting, at around lvl 35 I would go several times every day.

However, the problem I had with the game is that it simply stops being fun, and if you intend on playing solo the whole time, it will stop being fun EVEN QUICKER. Not saying it's not worth a go though, I certainly enjoyed my time playing :)

EDIT: I played a ranger (which can stealh - really helps with rifting to avoid getting killed every 5 minutes). Pick a strong solo class - Ranger, Assasin, Spiritmaster, Cleric - they will get you far while rifting

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Most of the AP I have gotten on my cleric I got solo either through pure PvP or balaur / guard farming by myself.  The game is very soloable although there are parts(PvE) that require groups like getting your adv stigma slots, finishing campaign quests, etc.  You can play Aion through grouping or solo, both work. 

• jotulljotull Member Posts: 256

Yep you will causally get ganked by twinks 98% of the time you are playing. Fact of he matter is people are leaving Aion en masse because the Abyss is dead and ganking is rampant, when FF14 is relased the last PVE hold outs will drop Aion like a bad habit. Aion had so much potential...but until Korea understands western culture they will continue to fail.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by jotull

Yep you will causally get ganked by twinks 98% of the time you are playing. Fact of he matter is people are leaving Aion en masse because the Abyss is dead and ganking is rampant, when FF14 is relased the last PVE hold outs will drop Aion like a bad habit. Aion had so much potential...but until Korea understands western culture they will continue to fail.

This is complete and utter nonsense. There are only three zones in each side where you have to worry about being ganked, and only one of those (the Abyss) is it  frequent. In the 20 levels I've spent in Eltnen/Heiron, I can count the number of times I've been ganked  on one hand. You can almost always find pvp in the Abyss if you know where to look

<3

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

if you like solo and pvp then roll a ranger

there is no better or funner class to solo rift with.

ranger are designed as a gank class and that's what rifting is all about. if you play smart you can solo rift for hours on end, picking your targets and avoiding those higher levels looking to kill you. on top of that rangers are one of the fasters classes to level since you can solo kill elites higher then yourself  once you learn how to kite.

even once you get into the Abyss rangers are one of the most OP pvp classes.  just dotn attack healers and you'll win 1v1 most times.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

if you like solo and pvp then roll a ranger

there is no better or funner class to solo rift with.

ranger are designed as a gank class and that's what rifting is all about. if you play smart you can solo rift for hours on end, picking your targets and avoiding those higher levels looking to kill you. on top of that rangers are one of the fasters classes to level since you can solo kill elites higher then yourself  once you learn how to kite.

even once you get into the Abyss rangers are one of the most OP pvp classes.  just dotn attack healers and you'll win 1v1 most times.

Yup truth.  My second 50 I rolled was a ranger and they are definitely a solo fun class.  They also level faster because they get a self +200 accuracy buff at a very low level so they can kill mobs easily that are 3-4 levels higher.  I leveled my ranger to 50 in half the time I did my cleric who gets resisted on even mobs my own level half the time it seems.