Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ettenmoors welcome new players...NOT

pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

I play MMO games for almost 14 years.I had tried Lotro almost 3 times before i got in hand the 9,99 pax deal and started playing. One of the things i liked about the game was the helping community , in-game and out-game(forums). But as a AOC player i also wanted to try monstro play once i reached my freep at lvl 10. But then i felt like i was back in Aoc. Creeps in ettenmoors (the majority-not all) dont help newcomers, don't group up with and dont even talk to them in OOC chat and most of all make FUN of them! Yes i was suprised that when i said that i am a noob looking for anyone as new as me or at least any older players wanting to help me get around people started "loling" me around! I would expect them to be a bt thankful that the pax offer brought many new people to an almost dying game. On the contrary the people in PVE are still welcoming and helping. Really made me think that if i wanted that kind of attitude i would stay in aoc.

Comments

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

Are you actually surprised that PvPers were jerks?

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

An almost dying game?

Sounds like you were in good company in Ettenmoors.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The creep crowd can be insular. By design creeps are less powerful than freeps and thus they /must/ work together. To do that you have to earn your reputation with them. They want someone they /know/ will back them up when it get heavy. So many people come and go that the regulars tend to be standoffish to them.

Don't expect to get into a warg pack without some experience and voice chat and watch out for hunters and burglars. Death means nothing if that healer goes down.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by grunty

The creep crowd can be insular. By design creeps are less powerful than freeps and thus they /must/ work together. To do that you have to earn your reputation with them. They want someone they /know/ will back them up when it get heavy. So many people come and go that the regulars tend to be standoffish to them.

Don't expect to get into a warg pack without some experience and voice chat. And watch out for hunters and burglars.

This is quoted for 110% truth.  I've played LOTRO since beta but never really liked the PvMP on either side.  When I log into my Creep by myself, I can't get anyone to respond and I feel like I'm in a single player game.

One of my good friends, on the other hand, plays a Creep as his main character.  He's well known on Brandywine and gets an invite to a group within seconds of logging on.

And as far as LOTRO being a dying game.  I wouldn't exactly say that, but it sure isn't getting many new players.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by Toquio3

Are you actually surprised that PvPers were jerks?

This. My first time as a creep in the moors, I was actually quite surprised by the general feelings of indifference and outright hostility displayed by the community there, especially in contrast to the helpul, mature, and overall friendly nature of the non-PvP freep community. It really drove home to me the huge difference in mentality between the two groups.

As a result, I don't PvP. Problem solved.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

And USE assist.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

I seldom go to the Moors on my creeps.  Way back at the beginning it was much more friendly. If you asked for a group, you got an invite. Now, it does seem there are cliques that are standoff-ish and even malign new players. I've seen new people told to "earn their way" to at least a blue border, or even red, before they are welcome in groups. A new "green" is often ignored or a target for derision. I pretty much stopped playing creepside because of this attitute. That said, I have seen a few veteran creeps try to help out, but they are a minority, unfortunately.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

That's because you were trying to play poor PvP in an excellent PvE game.

Either don't PvP or find a game where PvP is a bigger part of the game.

If you want to PvP, I'd say go elsewhere. As you said the PvE side of the game is very friendly and helpful.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Seriously ...

Why would anyone play LotR for PvP?

Now, I'm a LotR subscriber and that just how I feel. I also subscribe to DAoC for that sort of thing. It has a proper PvP / RvR setup that still out matches anything modern on the market.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

Originally posted by Torak

Seriously ...

Why would anyone play LotR for PvP?

Cause its there?

And since its there i would love to give it a try once and a while.Besides i get the feeling that Turbine is already scheduling updates for monstro but i guess that will come with next expansion so we have to wait...

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Well they are creeps after all.

• MishineMishine Member Posts: 9

I am playing this game for more then a month now and i love it, simple. However i havent tried the pvp part because so far i dont find it appealing ( spelling ).  But who knows what happens in the future.

I do wanna give a small comment about the dying / not getting much player part. I think everyone experiences this in his own way, but i must say that on Snowborn (EU) i see tons of players walking arround. The other day it was so crazy i even coudnt do several quests because of the number of players. Talking about area's between level 30-40.  The people i team up with are mostly returning or new players who got tired of the MMO *who's name i wont mention!* I get the idea this game is getting a boost instead of its dying. I hope it stays this way.  But again, thats what my experience is.

ah screw it, gonna try monsterplay again ...

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by avalon1000

Well they are creeps after all.

awww....ya beat me to it!!

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

PvMP (not PvP) in LOTRO use to be a nice diversion from the regular PvE world. Depending upon the server, the Creep side was almost always helpful and will to get  you going. Unfortunately, Turbine made some changes which made the grouping in PvMP not as worhwhile (at least for a time) and that community and helpful attitude seemed to die. Now, you just a lot of "elitists" kids running around and PvMP is not nearly as much fun.

Of course, I could extend the same comment to almost any other MMO's PvP at the moment.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375

almost dying? I guess you chose one of the newer less populated servers. Come visit me on Brandywine and you will eat your words. Just because you don't see us doesn't mean we are not there. I spend most of my time questing and always have since Lotro was in alpha. Yes I am a tester. The only time i realy go into towns is for repairs or when i pick up or turn in my quests.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by Gruug

PvMP (not PvP) in LOTRO use to be a nice diversion from the regular PvE world. Depending upon the server, the Creep side was almost always helpful and will to get  you going. Unfortunately, Turbine made some changes which made the grouping in PvMP not as worhwhile (at least for a time) and that community and helpful attitude seemed to die. Now, you just a lot of "elitists" kids running around and PvMP is not nearly as much fun.

Of course, I could extend the same comment to almost any other MMO's PvP at the moment.

That deserves a big /QFE! from me. They changed stuff in almost evey mmo that i play when it comes to PvP recently.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I'm shocked SHOCKED that PvPers aren't welcoming to noobs.  Even in a game with a great PvE community, what do you expect?

• jotulljotull Member Posts: 256

LOTRO as a whole has a pretty insular community, it not just the PVMP crowd I have a lifetime account that never gets used because I basically got tired of pugs with attitudes and Kinships that were almost creepy with how they embraced angst and drama, their CMs do not help matters one little bit as they perpetuate this combination Virtual lunchroom cool table /Old boy network. Honestly I have found the average Dungeon finder group in WoW to have more pleasant helpful folks than the average LOTRO pug or kinship.

It's sad because it use to not be like that.

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

I must confess I haven't found any community problems with LoTRO, then again I have encountered very few immature jerks in WoW. I guess my routine practice of playing MMO's on European PvE  role-play servers wherever possible pays off!