Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who would you rather have develop the Star Trek IP?

Comments

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Originally posted by elocke

Turbine. They did an awesome job capturing the "feel" of Lord of the Rings. I would love to see them take a shot at scifi and the "feel" of Star Trek. At least Turbine "gets" exploration.

I concur, this is exactly the first thing that I thought when I thought about my answer to the question... Cryptic should just never make an MMOG ever again. Stick to simple, single player games.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

anyone but cryptic.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

CCP. There was a time when I would have said Turbine yet now I can't because they are in love with a certain way of making MMOs that I don't care for. If they went back and captured some of their old originality genes with respect to game design then maybe Turbine.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I am not sure anyone would succeed in creating the same feeling as the tv shows have. Bioware would probably be the best bet since that part is what they do best bet.

Arenanet would be my second choice, they are also good at creating a mood and tell a story.

My personal feeling is that the Star trek IP should have been left alone for a few more years at least, if not forever. No computer game would make it justice.

Star wars is a lot easier to turn into a MMO, the lore fits the genre better since it is more about heroes and less about a large team that is always working together for the same thing. Individuals doesn't matter as much in ST, all crew members is doing what is best for the group instead of themselves. While that is also true to some part in SW, SW have more room for individuals.

As for Cryptic i wish them good luck on that Forgotten realms MMO, that is almost hard to mess up while making a good ST game that is true to the IP is close to impossible.

• TheHellfireTheHellfire Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by Loke666

I am not sure anyone would succeed in creating the same feeling as the tv shows have. Bioware would probably be the best bet since that part is what they do best bet.

Arenanet would be my second choice, they are also good at creating a mood and tell a story.

My personal feeling is that the Star trek IP should have been left alone for a few more years at least, if not forever. No computer game would make it justice.

Star wars is a lot easier to turn into a MMO, the lore fits the genre better since it is more about heroes and less about a large team that is always working together for the same thing. Individuals doesn't matter as much in ST, all crew members is doing what is best for the group instead of themselves. While that is also true to some part in SW, SW have more room for individuals.

As for Cryptic i wish them good luck on that Forgotten realms MMO, that is almost hard to mess up while making a good ST game that is true to the IP is close to impossible.

Pfft  Craptic screws up everything they touch

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

I,m going with a CCP for in depth space sime, but want Bioware to do the fleshing out of the storylines, so get both of them to do a joint venture, that I believe would be a good dream team for the IP.

• swyndleswyndle Member Posts: 52

Perpetual would be my choice. I'm not sure what resources, plans and content of their original development Cryptic managed to get hold of, but they clearly didn't use any of it.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by swyndle

Perpetual would be my choice. I'm not sure what resources, plans and content of their original development Cryptic managed to get hold of, but they clearly didn't use any of it.

Perpetual's original vision is nothing like what they ended up with before they went belly up. If you want to know what they were planning, then take STO in its current form and cut out the ground stuff and the player non-ship characters. That's what Perpetual was planning in the end.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

#1 Choice would have been a joint venture between Bioware and Bethseda. Fact is ST is an IP that basically demands good story with a sandbox world. It's less about do this quest, now do this quest. What would have made STO shine is if the focus was on exploration and random encounters. Less errand boy online and more "Hey lets check out that planet, seems it has intellegent life with warp capabilities." then let happen what happens. Good diplomatic skills could equate to another allied planet and a bad turn in the negotiations could leave you in a fight for your life.

#2 CCP, mainly because the whole Dust/EvE setup would be a good starting point for a war torn STO.

But bottom line is I am so dissapointed in Cryptic and Atari that I would even rather see SOE do STO than them. Atleast then you could grab it in there bargain bin type of package. 30 dollars you get to play what? 7 MMO's? lol thats where the current STO belongs.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by buegur
    LOL please not Turbine! A STO without opposing player sides would be an abomination! Lotr is pretty but not much else I like about it.

I find your lack of critical thinking ludicrous. The implementation of Klingons in STO is essentially Turbine's Monster Play in LOTRO.

As for the OP, I'd probably go with Turbine as well. I'd rather Bioware busy themselves with TOR than anything else.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

How about a completely new studio formed from the ground up with the sole purpose of translating the Star Trek IP into videogames and an MMO?  The new developer would be well funded and attract top talent including industry veterans.  They would work closely with Paramount and other guardians of the Star Trek IP.  Something like how Red Eagle games was created solely to turn the Wheel of Time IP into videogames, although we know nothing as to how that will turn out in the end.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Originally posted by Cecropia

For years I've had a little fantasy involving Star Trek and CCP. It would have to be very different from EVE Online, but the possibilities would be delectable if it was done well.

Yes. CCP.  Would be the difference between an episode simulator (and a bad episode simulator at that), and an MMO set in the Star Trek universe.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

They were making a Forgotten Realms MMO (more than likely NWN), but Hasbro's lawsuit brought that to a screeching halt. The last I had heard, Cryptic's next MMos were going to be originals, and not based off of existing IPs. They should have went that route in the first place; STO would have been an ok game had they set it in their own universe.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• SpiderpopeSpiderpope Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by Dinendae

They were making a Forgotten Realms MMO (more than likely NWN), but Hasbro's lawsuit brought that to a screeching halt. The last I had heard, Cryptic's next MMos were going to be originals, and not based off of existing IPs. They should have went that route in the first place; STO would have been an ok game had they set it in their own universe.

I keep hearing rumours that they want to make a Cthulhu-mythos MMO, something which i dread. Cryptic cant even stay true to 40 years of easily accessable and understandable television and films, there is no way in hell they are capable of crafting anything that will stay true to almost a century's worth  of subtle, thought provoking horror.

Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-pope.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Anyone but Cryptic. Turbine might be a good choice. I'd be interested to see what Bethesda might have been able to do with it. They really do a good job with exploration in thier games....and giving the player a wide open range of play options to pursue. Of course might be a tough one to cut your MMO teeth on.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Acornia

It would be interesting to see how good of a Star Trek game Blizzard could make.  Think I would take them over any other game making company out there right now.

I agree Blizzard is a company that knows how to make fun games. I like what I'm seeing so far from Bioware on TOR but  the jury is still out on whether or not it will be a complete MMORPG. I haven't played LOTRO, but their playerbase seems to be happy and they're always expanding on it so I wouldn't mind Turbine giving Star Trek a shot. As long as SOE or Cryptic aren't involved I'm open to someone else developing it.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Originally posted by TheHellfire

Since STO is an official bomb, who do you want to see develop Star Trek? I think Bioware is best suited for the job

Not sure where the "officail bomb" term is coming from. Cryptic has always (I have followed the game a long time) stated that if they were to get 50,000 subscriptions that they would consider it a success. That is Cryptic's take. Mine is that the space portion of the game is a lot of fun. Ground combat is improving but is still far from what I think it should be.

For those people that rushed through the game and say "no content", I just have to say I would agree....if I rushed through the game. I do have a Federation captian at the max level but I did it by putting in a lot of hours.....somewhere close to 200 hours...and that took me roughly just over one month. I now have other captains and I ame taking more or less a laid back approach. I am enjoying the game just as much but not burning it up in less days.

Addressing the content, Cryptic is adding more. They have a fairly aggressive schedule for updating new content in the next month and beyond. I expect, as do others, that Cryptic will continue to add to the game and improve it as well going forward. So, I would defiately NOT call STO an "official bomb"...far from it.

Who would I rather have had develop STO? No one....Cryptic has done a good job so far and will continue to do so.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

I can appreciate you like the game and Cryptic, but I'm afraid I have to call shenanigans. Cryptic said all along they consider a measly 50k players a success? For an MMO (most of which have at least 100k) based on Star Trek? I don't believe you.

If you show me a link / quote from before release where they say 50 measly thousand is a success, I'll take it back.

Seriously. That sounds like an extreme case of revisionism to fit the current situation, in short, spin.

Games considered moderately to lower end have 100k, and Cryptic set the bar at half that all along huh?

Like I said, prove it and I'll acquiesce.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I'm a big fan of keeping lists of ideal matches of IP and developer for MMOs. For Star Trek, though, I've never had a match, because I never really considered it a good candidate for an MMO IP. I honestly think Cryptic was as good a match as any.

I mean, I'd love to have seen what CCP would have done with it if they hadn't already had EVE, but I suppose there's no point in thinking about that.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • VypreVypre Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by TheHellfire

Since STO is an official bomb, who do you want to see develop Star Trek? I think Bioware is best suited for the job

Bomb is an understatement.  I have friends that have said that anyone appreciating this game are contributing to the mundane expectations of mmorpgs.  Bioware might be a good choice, but in all honesty, at this point, any other than the Cryptic./Atari duo.

Striving for Silver Stars since Gold is so effeminate.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

CCP, they're the most experienced and successful in the sci-fi MMO market.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Die_Scream

I can appreciate you like the game and Cryptic, but I'm afraid I have to call shenanigans. Cryptic said all along they consider a measly 50k players a success? For an MMO (most of which have at least 100k) based on Star Trek? I don't believe you.

If you show me a link / quote from before release where they say 50 measly thousand is a success, I'll take it back.

Seriously. That sounds like an extreme case of revisionism to fit the current situation, in short, spin.

Games considered moderately to lower end have 100k, and Cryptic set the bar at half that all along huh?

Like I said, prove it and I'll acquiesce.

They never said 50,000 was a success. The goal was around 200K. At least that is what they were saying BEFORE launch. Who knows what they're saying now.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

Man I hope Bioware can pull off their first mmo, but you guys are just sill saying you wish they would have done a this or that game. They have made a few good SINGLE player games and are now trying to make an mmo. They might make a big pile of crap with a tight story. Has anyone even got to play test anything of SWTOR yet? Not sure if they have started any kind of beta. I would put my money on Blizzard though. I hate how they kiddie up a game but all the other stuff from gameplay to graphics are really good from tham along with putting it out when they are happy with it.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• VypreVypre Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by EricDanie

CCP, they're the most experienced and successful in the sci-fi MMO market.

I stand corrected.

Striving for Silver Stars since Gold is so effeminate.

• SpiderpopeSpiderpope Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by ktanner3

They never said 50,000 was a success. The goal was around 200K. At least that is what they were saying BEFORE launch. Who knows what they're saying now.

I recall statements where 200k was indeed the minimum they required to consider the game a success and keep it running with a full development staff. Of course this being Cryptic such statements have likely been edited so that 50k is now the magic number, just like klingons were always meant to be PvP, there was no Atari sale the week after launch and Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-pope.