Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great Single Player game

uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

Just got the 10 day trial and have played about 20 hr so far [ :) Easter break!]  I would definitely pay $50 for this as a single player game!  I enjoy the environment and the crafting so far, but it feels like a single player game and not an MMO [except for the universal asshats in General chat - still haven't seen an MMO without that, less so in LOTRO, but still there].

I am just getting to Oilville - are there instances or is the entire world open?  Are there any PUGs?  Is there something in game that lets you LFG? [sorry, spoiled by DDO - good interface for grouping there]  Do you really NEED to group for anything?

Again, I am enjoying the game so far, but I doubt that I will get obsessive about it, so I won't play it enough to justify the sub price - at $5/month maybe, but not $15...that'd be $3 an hour to play [more than my first wages as a kid! Minimum wage was $2.85 then]  Maybe just sub when I have time off...

Any advice, comments?

Comments

• JorikuzaJorikuza Member Posts: 46

Game seemed very solo friendly to me, you could be self supplied by your crafting and at least for the first twenty levels need to rely on no one for anything, pretty much the reason I stopped playing, despite having a useful a crafting system, the system itself promotes soloing. I did find a few quests that were a bit of a pain, but only because I wasn't the proper level... they even have kill stealing which promotes soloibility even further by making players want to avoid helping you kill a creature you can't handle or help at all.

"I went to the store to buy a candle holder. They were out, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg

• The first time you really see people starting to group up is Kingman and to some extent for deathspore (since its a Master level boss).

However the grouping itself it not really the same in an EQ-style DIKU game.  There are "veteran" mobs in these places, but mostly people stick to similar builds.  I know my toons focus on Group Tactics and First Aid and lack of dodge is rare.  However I seem to be doing better than the standard builds at many things.

Mainly I think people group together for Kingman so that their "burn it down before I die" strat still will work against things with a lot of hp.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Here is the thing I think people seem to overlook when talking about solo MMO compared to Single Player games.

I believe I read that the average play time for a Single Player game is 60 hours. FE as a single player game would most likely be the largest single player game ever in the history of the univerise using 60 hours as a baseline.

The crafting engine alone most likely has more content then an entire single player game. This, by the way, is why I play MMO's. Its not for the people, its for the huge content.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by Jorikuza

Game seemed very solo friendly to me, you could be self supplied by your crafting and at least for the first twenty levels need to rely on no one for anything, pretty much the reason I stopped playing, despite having a useful a crafting system, the system itself promotes soloing. I did find a few quests that were a bit of a pain, but only because I wasn't the proper level... they even have kill stealing which promotes soloibility even further by making players want to avoid helping you kill a creature you can't handle or help at all.

This is not entirely true. Assisting a kill gives a credit for all sides that hit the target at least once, and not only for the one who dealt the most damage. But truth is only the one that dealt the most damage can loot the corpse.

REALITY CHECK

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

The game is very solo-friendly, but grouping has it's place as well. I like the mix. I can solo stuff when my friends are not online, and save the tougher encounters for grouping. It fits my play style quit enicely. I REALLY dislike forced grouping, or needing to group to accomplish anything. Just my opinion,but I like the way it's set up atm.

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

The first group-centric town is really kingman.  Most quests there require groups, but failing the outside missions, kingman prison is an instanced group oriented mission.

Some people group for embry but that ones is much easier then kingman.

As you raise in level you will notice more group oriented missions, and once you reach S3, there will be specific group missions that you absolutely cannot solo.  You will find PUGs on the way, but to make sure you always find a good group, join a decent clan with members around your level.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

FE is very solofriendly. I read that you are still in Sector 1 and only saw part of that even. Depending on what kind of build you are using, you might want to group more later on. Especially during the quests in Kingman Prison.

But overall there are relatively few quests/instances that force you to group in FE. Ive only seen S1 and S2, so I dont know yet if this stays the same in S3. But with the amount of hours I spent in S1 and S2 (especially if you also craft a lot), it really doesnt matter :) Its very solofriendly, which I kind of like in a game with long traveltimes. Because it gives you more freedom in joining groups when you want to.

Instances in FE are nicely done. You dont have a loading screen so it can be some doorstep from a building or the cave entrance that you cross that puts you in an instance. They blend in really well in the environment.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I really liked this game, but after getting about 30 levels solo, I just got tired of it and quit.  None of the content required a group and as stuff was not that hard solo, it would have been completely trivial in a group.  

I got the sense that having a compelling group PvE experience was secondary to the developers in favour of having better PvP, so looking at the latest update, I don't think that's changed.  If this game had some tougher content for groups and raids, it would be quite awesome.   I love soloing in MMOs, but I do eventually like to get to content that presents a challenge to a group.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• sadboysadboy Member Posts: 66

I like soloing as I only play at work but if games have grouping which they should then it is fine by me.

Why people think there is no place for soling is strange though as not everyone plays for same reasons and yes MMO's are social games but they are games not Real Life. I play games at work I live outside my room in real life everyone has choices I like Solo as it suits my game time.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

supermario!(original nintendo!)

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Just a minor question to OP:

Can you name me a few or several singleplayer games that have crafting like in FE, would like to know them, I play many singleplayer games but have yet to see a MMORPG regardless which one that could be or is played like a singleplayer game. Also can't name a singleplayer games that had me playing for more then 6 months.

So in the end it all is about your own playstyle which doesn't say anything about the game really.

There are instances you can go into grouped, problem these day's is that many people often out lvl group content or simple ignore it untill they outlvl it and then still do it solo, again that's about playstyle and not about the game.

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

Originally posted by Reklaw

Can you name me a few or several singleplayer games that have crafting like in FE, would like to know them, I play many singleplayer games but have yet to see a MMORPG regardless which one that could be or is played like a singleplayer game. Also can't name a singleplayer games that had me playing for more then 6 months.

So in the end it all is about your own playstyle which doesn't say anything about the game really.

There are instances you can go into grouped, problem these day's is that many people often out lvl group content or simple ignore it untill they outlvl it and then still do it solo, again that's about playstyle and not about the game.

NWN, NWN2 - both have had mods that make crafting much better than the original games; Fallout series also [which FE seems to be the spiritual successor to]

I stated that I would love to play FE as a single-player game [at a single player game price, not as a monthly sub]

NWN, NWN2, Fallout3 all have had me playing for many more than 6 months, each.

No, I was stating that I'd like to play FE as a single player game [again, at a single player price :) ]

Well, if everyone is soloing [or nearly everyone is soloing], then it IS about the game more than about playstyle.  It is an excellent single player game that happens to have other people playing in it also - or so it seems through the ~15 hours that I've played the 10 day trial.  I see previous posts that say there is more grouping later in areas S2 & S3, though you also say that many people just play over-level and solo.

I am in no way "dissing" the game - I enjoy it very much!  I just will not pay $3/hr or more to play it [yes, THAT statement is based on my playstyle/playable time].  I may pick up a monthly sub for Jul/Aug when I have time to play 20hr/week.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by uncus

NWN, NWN2 - both have had mods that make crafting much better than the original games; Fallout series also [which FE seems to be the spiritual successor to]

I stated that I would love to play FE as a single-player game [at a single player game price, not as a monthly sub]

No, I was stating that I'd like to play FE as a single player game [again, at a single player price :) ]

Well, if everyone is soloing [or nearly everyone is soloing], then it IS about the game more than about playstyle.  It is an excellent single player game that happens to have other people playing in it also - or so it seems through the ~15 hours that I've played the 10 day trial.  I see previous posts that say there is more grouping later in areas S2 & S3, though you also say that many people just play over-level and solo.

I am in no way "dissing" the game - I enjoy it very much!  I just will not pay $3/hr or more to play it [yes, THAT statement is based on my playstyle/playable time].  I may pick up a monthly sub for Jul/Aug when I have time to play 20hr/week.

Well I know our opinions are based on our playstyle, as for me I still can't see the game as a singleplayer game, I am that crafter, have every single recipes that could be bought and crafted like the improved/enhanced/advanced recipes, currently working on my last crafting recipes: Improved and Advanced Dune Buggy recipes books and preparing/collecting the components for the Interceptor research recipes, so a large part of my craft playstyle is indeed solo, but I still need other players to be able to sell stuff, buy stuff, do grouping missions, there are missions that simple are not possible to do solo, regardless if the need for grouping I also find it fun to group, but mostly group with people I came to know on my journey as have developed a dislike to the random pugs we have these day's in this genre, regardless the lvl or out-lvl, there are components that I havn't seen in months but are on sale on auction or can be traded with players that do have them, ALL my tradeskills are capped atm at 164, I am also cap lvl 46, but still don't see the end of my playing as there is still so much to do for me ingame. I don't have 20+ hours a week, the most I am able to play would be on sunday's, during the week I can be glad to put about 2 maybe 4 hours into it spread over the week, sometimes when I take a few day's off work I can put some more time into it, but overall my playtime is very limited and to spend 0,50 cents a day on it is for me personaly not that much.

I also didn't say you where didding the game in any way, I understand the mod thing being able to enjoy singleplayer games longer then original, but don't think I could play Fallen Earth if it really would be a singleplayer game as it's great to me as a MMORPG but would be lacking many things that make singleplayer games good to me.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I dont think its fair to put NWN mods on the list as a single player engine. The reasons is becuase the mods created by the community extended the game well beyond was is commonly found in a single player game and almost all of those mods where created with the purpose of multiplayer. As an NWN mod creator myself I never really thought of NWN as a single player game. I always saw it as a mini-MMO customizable by community with a single player game attached to it.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by arieste

I really liked this game, but after getting about 30 levels solo, I just got tired of it and quit.  None of the content required a group and as stuff was not that hard solo, it would have been completely trivial in a group.  

I got the sense that having a compelling group PvE experience was secondary to the developers in favour of having better PvP, so looking at the latest update, I don't think that's changed.  If this game had some tougher content for groups and raids, it would be quite awesome.   I love soloing in MMOs, but I do eventually like to get to content that presents a challenge to a group.

I had exactly the same experience but I only got to level 23 before I could not be bothered to run somewhere kill it, run back, only  grouping I ever needed was in Kingmans and that lasted all of 30 minutes, I went to S2, did all the faction quests for 3 factions, crafted all my gear, did some neutral towns, and after completing the quests in New Flagstaff I just started logging in, and logging off 5 mins later. Burned out in about 2 weeks.

Group content, what little of it there is was absolutly no challenge what so ever, and solo was easy.

If you do all the AP quests in starter towns you are too powerful for the rest of S1 for it to be a challenge, S2 up to Flagstaff was the same. In S2 only needed to group once with another player, and we burned though the fortress near Devon Township, I think, in 20mins.

I really liked the game, the setting, the crafting, but essentially it turned into a non challenging grind, unfortunately. I am hoping that the future will bring some changes and I will resubscribe as I am sad that it doesnt work for me at the moment.

It felt like a breath of fresh air the first few days....

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Just got the 10 day trial and have played about 20 hr so far [ :) Easter break!]  I would definitely pay $50 for this as a single player game!  I enjoy the environment and the crafting so far, but it feels like a single player game and not an MMO [except for the universal asshats in General chat - still haven't seen an MMO without that, less so in LOTRO, but still there].

I am just getting to Oilville - are there instances or is the entire world open?

It doesn't change. Nearly every single "group" mission can be easily solo'ed.

Having played to the end of sector 2, there were only 4 sets of group missions I couldn't solo. And all but one of those only required 2 players.

There are a very, very small number of instanced missions. They're pretty rare.