Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game is Rising in Rating - But falling in Members?

First I want to say I am interested in this game. First it was a nothing, like AoC... but its slowly rising up as one of the top 10 games. However, I see posted almost everywhere that their isn't anyone playing and that the world is rather lonely. I just wanted to know, if that was changing or if its just getting better reviews cause less people are playing... and those left are die hards.

Not wanting to start an OMG< this game is terrible is sucks/ and yet they havne't played in a long long time.

Comments

• chaoster89chaoster89 Member Posts: 56

I played the game a few months ago and i must say that i was actually asking my self at times if i had somehow chosen an offline option.

• sylacussylacus Member Posts: 17

Saddly thats what I assumed... but looking forward to some other people results.

It is such a huge world that unless you have a huge amount of players I am sure you probably would feel quite lonely.

• MuddleglumMuddleglum Member Posts: 19

Now I haven't played since before the post made by the dev's that scraped a lot of the stuff people though were comming and this could have caused a mass exodus. Also I love Vanguard and the only reason I am not subscribed atm is I am poor and I rotate subs through the year, when I get a little tired of one I go to one of the others I enjoy.

That said I never ever felt alone in Vanguard. I was always able to get the major group quests done(and I am always doing them because I have a zillion alts). I know the pvp server is dead, but my server (Seradon) has always seemed very active. I would really suggest making an introductory post on the forum I can almost guarentee a guild will offer help and friendship. There is a guild forum so you can check out guilds that you may like. I did that and found one of the greatest groups I have had the pleasure of playing with.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Older ratings stop getting counted after a certain amount of time, so many older ratings are not calculated anymore and few people care about this game anymore few actually post new ratings.  For example there have only been about 10 total ratings for this game for the entire year. 

In December of last year the lead producer said they were going to try to merge servers.  So he ackowledged they need to merge servers, but they don't have the staff to get the job done.  That really sums up just how poorly this game has been managed since its release. 

For all of the potential this game holds, the management never makes the right choices to make it happen.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

Originally posted by Daffid011

Older ratings stop getting counted after a certain amount of time, so many older ratings are not calculated anymore and few people care about this game anymore few actually post new ratings.  For example there have only been about 10 total ratings for this game for the entire year. 

In December of last year the lead producer said they were going to try to merge servers.  So he ackowledged they need to merge servers, but they don't have the staff to get the job done.  That really sums up just how poorly this game has been managed since its release. 

For all of the potential this game holds, the management never makes the right choices to make it happen.

Out of curisoity, how can you tell there have only been 10 ratings for this game this year?

There was a "letter of doom" from Silius the producer around decmber.  Since then I, dont think he has posted.... Perhaps he forgot to take his prozac that morning.

He did mention merges but then retracted on that comment a couple days later.  A lot of his pet projects where cancelled,

Since that time, new content has been delivered : Magi Hold chapters 1 and 2 which is lvl 50 content.  Chapter 3 is on test and supposed to be raid content.

I wont argue that the population is what it should be.,  Its a mature game and most people are lvl 50+.  If you want to group then join a guild... I know thats a cliche but its true.  There is a mentoring system and a lot the higher level people will help you and most everyone has an alt.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

You can read all the ratings and see the dates they were posted.  LINK There sadly isn't a lot of activity.

Retracting on server mergers after admitting to them being needed is a really bad decision in a long line of bad decisions for the game. 

Vanguards population isn't the result of it being "mature" or top heavy in levels.  It is a good game that is essentially better than most of what the market has to offer.  It has just been poorly run since day 1.  Even magi hold is little more than the developers scraping the bone of what sigil left unfinished.  Canabilization of the game is a very poor long term strategy.

• MavadoKenyenMavadoKenyen Member Posts: 104

I'd love to see this game get the community revamped honestly. It was such a great game around launch when I played. ^_^ I loved how they included so many adorable fuzzy races. It pleases the furry side of me to be able to be a cute little fox and bust faces at the same time. I'd come back if they got a lot more members and was a bit more friendlier.

• GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

I had tried to play this game a while ago but they did not support windows 7, and when I called support he said they had no plans to support it. Does anyone know if it changed?

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Originally posted by GrubbsGrady

I had tried to play this game a while ago but they did not support windows 7, and when I called support he said they had no plans to support it. Does anyone know if it changed?

Eww, that's not going to help things. Though I'm less than surprised. Shame, I actually liked Vanguard. Unfortunately, it's not going to get anywhere given the cutbacks and population issues.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• BaiameBaiame Member UncommonPosts: 143

Vanguard worked for me the first day Windows 7 launched.  Never had a problem. 

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I've been playing it on Windows 7. Not sure where you got your information from.

Anyway, the game IS good, and yes the population is low. This game needs a massive marketing move to bring people back. They should do a DDO move to it. The game NEEDS to be saved as it really does offer a deeper experience than most current MMOs.

I personally stopped playing because I hit a leveling wall at 22. I was doing great, was banging out solo quests then boom. No more solo quests, but plenty of group quests and dungeons. No one to run them with though. Everyone in the game is at the upper levels raiding every night.

I even joined a very good, nice, large guild, but even they had a Raiding schedule that didn't really help with my leveling. Not their fault, just the way it is really. I hope this game get's reinvigorated by SOE and isn't left to die. I had more fun making one of each type of class in this game then I have in many other MMOs lately. The classes are so unique and fun. Each gets some very cool and different skills. Like my Druid. I had a silly but interesting spell, where I could turn into an ant to get away.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Well, I love this game and love the world. Sadly it suffers from a bit of a catch 22.

Players who are interested in the game try it but have a hard time finding other players. Therefore they quit. But then other players do the same, see that there aren't enough players and they quit.

But if more players stuck with it then as players tried it they would find a growing playerbase.

It's not like this game doesn't have its problems but I don't know when we will find another game that has such a large and varied world.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GrickshaftGrickshaft Member Posts: 11

i started this game at launch, and it did have a horrible one at that, however i played for 5 months and it picked up, i stopped and recently returned, its the only game i did fall in love with and provided a hell of a lot of fun.  

the world is massive no instances, and there is so much to do, you couldnt finish all the quests and or other content IE with crafting, diplomacy and harvesting.  

one thing i love about this is they love to accentuate the z-axis,  huge mountians you can climb and levitate off, and the water is beautiful with huge depths

and the new fishing mechanic is addictive

i really havent had a problem running into people  (Xeth server) and the LFG and looking for guild functions is rather good

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

I've been really tempted to come back as it has just about everything I've been looking for in an MMO depth wise (minus factional PvP but I can do without with everything else that's there) but the fact that SoE has all but shelved the game has kind of put me in a "why bother?" state. 

Side note: The one thing that always made me sad about this game is that Kojan was never realized as a full continent )=

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

It does support Windows 7. I've played it during Jan till Feb (1 month subscription) and ran the game with Windows 7. There's a fix to the issue. See Windows 7 comes with DX 11, so all you have to do is go to the windows site and download the DX 9 version and install it. It will not conflict with DX 11, all it does is when you run Vanguard instead of using DX 11 (which it doesnt support) it uses DX 9. Thats pretty much the only issue I had when running Vanguard.

• sylacussylacus Member Posts: 17

Ok, is there more content slated... I know that their is the new patch in testing with supposed raid content... anyone beta'd is and know any goods on it?

• GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

Are you guys playing on 64bit windows 7?

Whenever I would click the launcher nothing would happen, so I called support up and they told me they weren't supporting my OS.  I was really let down because I thought the game looked awesome.

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176

Whenever I would click the launcher nothing would happen, so I called support up and they told me they weren't supporting my OS.  I was really let down because I thought the game looked awesome.

If this is true then it's a bummer.  I'm running the same OS.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Originally posted by Mdpats

If this is true then it's a bummer.  I'm running the same OS.

I'm also running windows 7 64 bit, dont have any trouble with playing it.

Edit: To grubbsgrady

Make sure you right click the icon and run it as administrator, if that doesnt help then IDK whats wrong.

• GrickshaftGrickshaft Member Posts: 11

im on 64 bit win 7 run the program in compatability mode for win xp, it works perfectly