Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It gets old very quick

First let me say that I am a big fan of both the hobbit and the Lord of the Rings books. i have been playing Lotro for about 6 weeks now and    I seem to have a hit a wall. I find the game somewhat enjoyable to around level 30 or so than it gets very boring and stale. I thought at first I  had just picked the wrong class with a Hunter so I started over with a Loremaster and once again I hit the low 30's and blegh! I tried out the monster play pvp thing and found it too be very laggy and not any fun for me.

Are the low 30's just something you have to work past? will rolling up yet another class be more fun? The game is very pretty and I hvae enjoyed crafting more than in most games that I have played in the past. I have a level 10 hobbit burglar that i just made today but I am wondering that once i get out of doing the shire quests if the same feeling will kick in again.

I am leaning towards dropping my sub and just moving on to some that else.

Comments

• glockishglockish Member Posts: 10

How often are you playing? 6 weeks and only level 30? I have been playing for about 3 days and I've hit 27 on my first toon.

I put my life on the line to find a way to be unforgettable

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by glockish

How often are you playing? 6 weeks and only level 30? I have been playing for about 3 days and I've hit 27 on my first toon.

Bro you are playing LOTRO like it owes you money image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• MistmouseMistmouse Member Posts: 91

I play anywhere from an hour to three hours at a time, but In dont play every day. My life is way to busy to do that.

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

From 30 to 40 Lotro can  lag a bit, especially if you tend to solo. With a good partner you can do well in Evendim, early Forochel and Trollshaws in this level range.  However, starting into your late 30's and early 40's the game expands considerably in terms of content and game play options.  The population is also quite a bit more weighted in the 40-65 range. Rivendell, Moria, Lothlorien and Mirkwood are downright crowded at times.

I would definitely advise you hang in there for a bit more. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.  At least wait to play through some skirmishes or visit Eregion/Moria and begin work on your epic. These elements will give you a taste of whats to come and if you arent convinced after seeing the Balrog, then perhaps Lotro is not the game for  you.

Like you I am a very casual player and often solo or duo. I took a year off just after the Moria expansion when I felt the game had become too raid focused at end-game for my tastes. I am amazed at how many viable game play options now exist.

I might be able to point out a few options that may improve your enjoyment of the game. 

I play on Landroval (mostly eves pacific time as Cabon) and you are welcome to look me up there or email my account here. 

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

Most folks I know got tired of the game much earlier than that. I myself thought I'd quit at around level 15 (this was when the game first came out), but I powered through and haven't been bored with the game since (even when rolling new toons)

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• MishineMishine Member Posts: 9

I am playing lotro for about 2-3 weeks also ( not full time ) and i reached level 28.  I havent been bored for a minute.

Joined a great guild in the early days with helpfull people which is a joy. Next to that i am exploring every aspect of the game. I aint just busy with leveling but also with crafting, exploring, decorating my house with thropy's from instances and furnuture ( something i love allot ) and also with deeds/traits to improve my character.

I keep hearing the games just opens up after reaching late 30's/begin 40's. Skirmishes and other great stuff are waiting. Lots of good stuff to look forward to.

I am happy i gave this game another go. I serieusly love it.

Mish.

• dunedanetzdunedanetz Member Posts: 3

Well, I am playing Lotro for 2 years :) Not enirely, I had 2 breaks for 2-3 months each, but they weren`'t because the game got boring. I just havn't enough time. Anyway, the game will never get boring if you have a guild or bunch of friends to play with. Yes, it might get boring if you only play solo. So, my advice is - despite that you dont play much, try to find and join a kinship. Lotro is not WoW and there are huge amount of casual guilds that dont look your equipment or level to invite you.

• ElronirElronir Member UncommonPosts: 36

I also had problems with my first character when I started in june. At level 38 I had no idea where to go. Most Evendim quests done, angmar was too hard, forochel was too hard. I was about to quit the game completly bored, but then I found Tal Bruinen. I made that quest with Gollum,  2 levels and my smile was back. Since then, I alway had fun with the game. Don't stop now, your reward is coming :)

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Most people tend to get bored with the game in the 10-20 range or the 30-40 range. The teens tend to be dull due to a lack of combat options whilst the 30s are dull because most classes don't really advance much in that level range. Post 40 (or 39 to be precise) you start getting access to legendary traits, epic class questlines, legendary weapons, etc. and the amount of options you have in terms of advancement and available content goes through the roof.

Having said that the 30-40 range is improved a fair bit now with the option of skirmishes. I find I make about half a level of xp soloing a skirmish on my 33 cappy so if you're getting bored with the quests just run a skirmish. :)

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Intersting post. I think I got to about lvl 30 (Not in two days. some of us like to read the quests, hehe) then I got tired of it. I do plan on coming back at some point but I think I would have to find a good Kinship to really enjoy the game. I think it was going around killing 180 of this and 180 of that that turned it into a grind.

• MuridanMuridan Member Posts: 94

Lotro is the closest thing to a complete MMO that you'll find on the market. That being said it is not without it's flaws.

Lotro has the best player community, and it's not even close.

The environment (game world) is beautiful and pulls you in.

The look of the characters is also beautiful, but there is a lack of customization that leaves you wanting, if they had a creation system along the lines of Aion Lotro would be amazing in this regard.

The combat system is nice, with skill queing. However the combat anamations, especially for melee, are uninspired, the DW animations in perticular are boring to watch, even the skill animations are only just ok.

PvE content is off the charts good, that combined with the environment makes for a very pleasing expeirence.

PvP is easily the worst of all MMO's that I've played. Freeps vs. Creeps is a joke.  This is easily the single biggest drawback this game has, and because of it many "hardcore" players shun Lotro.

Class balance is decent, although Melee classes (especially Champion) get the short end of the stick in that the penalties for them are a bit heavy handed.

Player housing is nice, and fun to play around with.

The overall look of player gear is strange in that only the higher end sets seem to look cool. I really wish they'd retool this.

If you are a role-player and you don't play this game you are missing out. while it isn't my prefered method of play anyone who's spent time in this game will tell you the RP community in Lotro is second to none.

Levels 35-45 can be a bit slow, but no level based MMO I've played other than WoW is without a slow down of this type at some point in the leveling process. For some this will seem slower than others, especially as I said if you are comming from WoW, but a player from a game like Aion will most likely not even notice this.

All in all Lotro has more of what is good about MMO's than any other title on the market, you just have to decide if it has what you are looking for, if thats a rich gameplay expeirence, a helpful, knowledgeable community, excellent PvE then it's for you, if you love PvP clearly this isn't the game for you in it's current form.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Ya I hit a wall around early 30s to late 30's this was pre moria though and I was without a kinship and really had no clue what to do or where to go so I grinded it out.The game got alot funner for me once I got past that joined a kinship.Lotro is a fun game but I think if you go at it solo and play it alot solo it will burn you out.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I have a very significant amount of time play LOTRO.  No I'm not Joe Uber, but I have been around the block.

My thoughts:

LOTRO's biggest strength and fault is that was designed to be played in small fellowships of 3-6 people.  Much of that has gone by the wayside as the game has developed and the lower levels are predominently done solo.  The problem is that there are plenty of good quests for experience to move you through your 30's, however, they are very group dependant.  I too had the 30's itch and found myself making alts and such about that time.  If you choose to stay, I highly recommend you join a kin and if people are not your level in the kin that are willing to help, find another.  Eventually you will find a kin that has a few people that have alts or mains your level and you enjoy grouping.  This will carry you a long way in the game.  Having just 2 other friends near your level can carry you through most of the content.

The second problem I see is your class choice.  My opinion is that burglars are just plain annoying to play.  I have levelled 2 into their 20's and deleted them.  For some reason they just don't perform IMO.  Loremasters are tough especially until you start getting to trait some of their better class skills.  I recommend LMs for roleplayers and patient gamers.  LMs do shine later.  Lastly, Hunters are fun, but extremely boring before you get some of the better skills and traits.  My main is a Hunter, and it is my only toon I raid with, but he certainly is boring to solo with.

My recommendation for veteran mmo players new to LOTRO:  Warden.  Great all-around class that has run-speed buff, fast transport capability, good survivability, decent dps.  Generally wanted in a group.  Second choice:  Runekeeper.  Incredibly simple class to learn to be "good" and by the time you need to be "great" for raids, you can do that too.  Solid class for new players.

Last comment:  At max level, nearly every class performs well.  You can trait your way into a really good character if you put some time into it regardless of what class you are, even burglars.  With 7 character slots, you can try nearly everything to level 10 or 20 within a couple weeks of playing.  Personally, I have everything but a burg and a captain.  My champion is only 15 though, but I'm not deleting him because he is a decent weaponsmith.

• TacBoyTacBoy Member UncommonPosts: 142

Originally posted by Muridan

Lotro has the best player community, and it's not even close.

PvP is easily the worst of all MMO's that I've played. Freeps vs. Creeps is a joke.  This is easily the single biggest drawback this game has, and because of it many "hardcore" players shun Lotro.

I know it's off topic, but I think point 2 is the reason for point 1.

I hvae decided to give it another two weeks, my sub runs out then, going to try and run the skrimishes a bit and see how that goes. I hvae avoided warden so far as I see a ton of them running around. if it  picks up for me i will keep going, i did join a kin today and I will see if that helps any as well.

• buden-ninjabuden-ninja Member UncommonPosts: 53

I made it to level 41 with my lore-master - my first character. I loved it but I got tired of soloing. I wanted to group but there just weren't that many people when I played (evening Japan time). I know the LM can solo but it is so much better in a group. It started to wear on me, so I made an alt. That was fun too until I got tired of missing out on the group quests because no one was around me. I hated spamming the glff channels waiting for someone who needed the same quests. I played on Landroval. I was in a pretty good kinship but I didn't want to keep asking for help all the time, so I just let my subscription run out. I have convinced a few friends to sign up and they are going to try it. There should be at least 3 of us together, which I know will make the game fun - like it was meant to be. I am going to try out a minstrel.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Originally posted by Mistmouse

I hvae decided to give it another two weeks, my sub runs out then, going to try and run the skrimishes a bit and see how that goes. I hvae avoided warden so far as I see a ton of them running around. if it  picks up for me i will keep going, i did join a kin today and I will see if that helps any as well.

I hope it works out for you.  If not, that's okay.  I too got frustrated at your level for a bit and being in a kin really pushed me back into the game.  But it really wasn't the kin as much as it was the fact that I found two pairs of RL friends, a LM / champ pair and Guard / minstrel pair, that my Hunter really fit well into for moving through small group content.  For the harder stuff, I even got all 5 of us together and we were really able to take on some content.  I had a blast from then until 60 when I started grinding legendaries solo back before the changes from Mirkwood.

well i have manged to get another two levels done ( was my day off yesterday ) and I mostly did the skirmishing thing, and i found it fun for a while. I wont play today at all, too much stuff to get done, like working on my yard, washing the car, ect

• dunedanetzdunedanetz Member Posts: 3

Some of you forgot that the game is nearly 3 years old. Most of the players are with 4-5 charecters max lvl. It is a natural thing in the low lvl zones to play not so many people. In Wow, for instance, if you start a new character, you will play solo till Northrend because it would be nearly impossible to find a party for the group quests. Wow is played for millions and yet in the low lvl zones there are not so many ppl as well. Not because low population, but because the game is old and the majority of the players are in the end game zones. Such is the case with Lotro. It is a natural thing that there are not so many people in Lonelands or Trowshalls for example. Maybe this is the case that you got bored around lvl 30 - you play alone for a month or so. Find a kinship, do the low lvl instances, ask somebody from the kinship to help you with them, go to Garth Awargen, Fornost, Dol Dinen, Carn Dum, Urugarth - there are the interest things. :)  Yes maybe the game is solo friendly, but in general it is a MMO - and it is very stupid thing to play MMO alone. If you want to play solo - go play Dragon Age or Sacred :D

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

well i have manged to get another two levels done ( was my day off yesterday ) and I mostly did the skirmishing thing, and i found it fun for a while. I wont play today at all, too much stuff to get done, like working on my yard, washing the car, ect

I cringe a bit reading that. I mean, it's your game time and you can enjoy it how you like, but I'm not so sure that is the way to approach the game. Getting levels "done'. or am I reading too much into that statment? if so I apologize.

If you were having a blast then great.

Here is what I mean:

I"m not good with alts but I really like how the warden plays. I highly doubt I'll ever be good enough at the warden to play with others because of the gambits I have to memorize, but I made one and as of yesterday it was about lvl 10.

Apparently, the last time I played it I went to bree to get some better armor and weapon and a nice cosmetic javelin holder.

In any case, lvl 10 in the bree area is a bit low so I decided to go back to finish some of the first area quests. However, I realized that taking the fast horse seemed a bit counter intuitive to having such a beautiful world. More often than not I take a horse and bypass quite a bit.

So my decision was to run back to Celondim from Bree.

As I was back i was marveling at how large the world seemed and how many people have said that it wasn't a large world. In the distance there were some mountains and I got it in my mind to see whether I could go to those mountains or not.

So I headed north into the woods. And they were great. Since closed beta I had never been in these woods. They seemed vast and there was a lot of detail. Suddenly I see a small town/hamlet. Since I never really spent any time in the hobbit area I took the slight detour.

Was called bindhole I believe and apparently some poor chap had lost some goods because of spiders crawling up his cart.

I took the quest and eventually that led me to going back into hobbiton and being sent to find a giant spider nest, getting some slug juice (by killing slugs in a swamp that I didn't know existed to the west) breaking through the spider webs only to find a huorn/ent thing that was stuck. There was another player there and he wanted to know if we could do the quest together so I agreed. There we were side by side to this huge Ent which was marching out and we were killing all the spiders that came at us along with the ent. I marvelled at the sound the thing made as it walked through the nest. Eventually it was freed, party done and I went back to hobbiton to report how much of a hero I was.

Well, once I got back I realized I had two quests in the elven outpost of duillond and yadda yadda yadda, several hours had past and lo and behold I had gained two levels and am about 12% from the next level.

All just getting involved in the world, exploring and seeing what trouble I could get into.

This is normally how I play this game and got through all of moria in this way. I'd take a few quests, head out and see if I could find the objectives, but more often than not I would explore the area in search of the quest objective but fine with seeing where the wind took me.

I don't know if that's how you play but I do find more often than not that players gather quests, go out, do them, run back, gather more, rinse and repeat, etc.

It just seems that style of play isn't really conducive to enjoy the game in a way that let's its strengths shine.

In any case, my two cents. If you dont' do this I would say, forget about leveling and just explplore and see what trouble you get in. good luck. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Sovrath

I cringe a bit reading that. I mean, it's your game time and you can enjoy it how you like, but I'm not so sure that is the way to approach the game. Getting levels "done'. or am I reading too much into that statment? if so I apologize.

If you were having a blast then great.

Here is what I mean:

I"m not good with alts but I really like how the warden plays. I highly doubt I'll ever be good enough at the warden to play with others because of the gambits I have to memorize, but I made one and as of yesterday it was about lvl 10.

Apparently, the last time I played it I went to bree to get some better armor and weapon and a nice cosmetic javelin holder.

In any case, lvl 10 in the bree area is a bit low so I decided to go back to finish some of the first area quests. However, I realized that taking the fast horse seemed a bit counter intuitive to having such a beautiful world. More often than not I take a horse and bypass quite a bit.

So my decision was to run back to Celondim from Bree.

As I was back i was marveling at how large the world seemed and how many people have said that it wasn't a large world. In the distance there were some mountains and I got it in my mind to see whether I could go to those mountains or not.

So I headed north into the woods. And they were great. Since closed beta I had never been in these woods. They seemed vast and there was a lot of detail. Suddenly I see a small town/hamlet. Since I never really spent any time in the hobbit area I took the slight detour.

Was called bindhole I believe and apparently some poor chap had lost some goods because of spiders crawling up his cart.

I took the quest and eventually that led me to going back into hobbiton and being sent to find a giant spider nest, getting some slug juice (by killing slugs in a swamp that I didn't know existed to the west) breaking through the spider webs only to find a huorn/ent thing that was stuck. There was another player there and he wanted to know if we could do the quest together so I agreed. There we were side by side to this huge Ent which was marching out and we were killing all the spiders that came at us along with the ent. I marvelled at the sound the thing made as it walked through the nest. Eventually it was freed, party done and I went back to hobbiton to report how much of a hero I was.

Well, once I got back I realized I had two quests in the elven outpost of duillond and yadda yadda yadda, several hours had past and lo and behold I had gained two levels and am about 12% from the next level.

All just getting involved in the world, exploring and seeing what trouble I could get into.

This is normally how I play this game and got through all of moria in this way. I'd take a few quests, head out and see if I could find the objectives, but more often than not I would explore the area in search of the quest objective but fine with seeing where the wind took me.

I don't know if that's how you play but I do find more often than not that players gather quests, go out, do them, run back, gather more, rinse and repeat, etc.

It just seems that style of play isn't really conducive to enjoy the game in a way that let's it's strengths shine.

In any case, my two cents. If you dont' do this I would say, forget about leveling and just explplore and see what trouble you get in. good luck. image

Exactly what I've found, and honestly LOTRO is one of the first games I was able to just "live" in the world where it was ok to not be headed for max level all the time and to log on and just see where the wind takes me.  My own opinion is the entire grinding to the next level style of gameplay is counter productive, I have yet to see a game that is truly able to deliver  what one would expect from spending the last week or more trying to reach the next level if you catch my drift.

I enjoy levelling up my characters in any game that I play but if I find that the main reason I'm playing is to level up my character I know that that game is truly not for me and often move on.  To the op if you love Tolkiens works so I wonder if you have taken time to just "live" in the world because as a theme park mmo LOTRO hands down has the best fusion of lore to me, and I never read his works until after playing lotro.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Well  as I said I had hit a wall with my loremaster at 30 and wasn't sure if I wanted to keep on going with the game. At 30 it felt grindy and stale. it could be that I was having problems with getting into fellowships or my lack of a a decent kinship.I had asked for advice  in game and had been told that the game gets much better once you hit 39 to 40 and many classes really take off in the fun factor area .

The most fun I had while in game was crafting and just wandering around, I always felt  that the games combat system was its major weak point. I did meet a lot of nice players. I grouped up when ever I could and had some fun.

I was going to play tonight but after logging in I quit after playing just 15 minutes or so. I dont want to start up another new character. i think I am just done with the game for good. It was fun for 6 weeks so i feel what i spent on the game cash wise was not wasted. Lotro is a good solid game but It's just not my thing.

Funny thing that you mentioned Eve I did play it for almost two years.. I left it when my RL friends quit playing. I have also soloed quite a few games to their level caps.  DaoC,War, COH,EQ,Auto A., and even Wow which I still play once a week with my teenage kids. I played DaoC for almost 7 years and had toons for playing with guildmates and toons I just soloed on. I left it when my wife and friends did.

I was hoping that CO or Star Trek online would be my next game to play in for the next few years but they both need so much work.

I will play COH again this summer with my son when he  comes home from college.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Hunter... Loremaster...

Try a fun class, there's your problem (no offense to all the Hunters and Loremasters! Don't shoot me or maul me with your bears!). Leveling up is boring in 98% of MMOs. I suggest a Warden.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by Matt_UK

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Originally posted by Matt_UK

Well  as I said I had hit a wall with my loremaster at 30 and wasn't sure if I wanted to keep on going with the game. At 30 it felt grindy and stale. it could be that I was having problems with getting into fellowships or my lack of a a decent kinship.I had asked for advice  in game and had been told that the game gets much better once you hit 39 to 40 and many classes really take off in the fun factor area .

The most fun I had while in game was crafting and just wandering around, I always felt  that the games combat system was its major weak point. I did meet a lot of nice players. I grouped up when ever I could and had some fun.

I was going to play tonight but after logging in I quit after playing just 15 minutes or so. I dont want to start up another new character. i think I am just done with the game for good. It was fun for 6 weeks so i feel what i spent on the game cash wise was not wasted. Lotro is a good solid game but It's just not my thing.

Bye then. If you don't enjoy the game don't play it. Stop coming on here crying about it. It's not for you obviously, you're far too dull to get it.

See ya!

You sure showed him cowboy.

Well what a wet blanket he is eh? LOTRO is the easiest game to solo level and the easiest game to play. If he can't struggle past 30 or gets bored easily with the amount of quests in LOTRO then he shouldn't be playing mmos. Part of playing the game is seeking out new areas, finding new quests and npcs and things to do. It's all there, but this guy just can't be bothered, he'd rather come on here and cry about not being able to get past level 30.

I wonder what he'll move on to... EVE?

Not every game is for every person. You can't expect everyone to enjoy LOTRO and bash them if they don't. I've played 14 MMOs over the last 11 years and LOTRO just wasn't for me either. Should I quit playing MMOs also?

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.