Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best ability in an MMO....

It seems like alot of MMO's recycle alot of abilities. So after talking with a buddy of mine, what do you think is the singular best ability (the one you enjoyed most, not necessarily the biggest healing or damaging ability), in an MMO. It doesnt have to be a standard ability either, it can be anything. Please list the name, game and what it did (and what made it cool in not apparent, i.e. the scenario you would use it in), if the ability didnt exist and you could magic wand it, what would it do?

Comments

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Mordeath
    It seems like alot of MMO's recycle alot of abilities. So after talking with a buddy of mine, what do you think is the singular best ability (the one you enjoyed most, not necessarily the biggest healing or damaging ability), in an MMO. It doesnt have to be a standard ability either, it can be anything. Please list the name, game and what it did (and what made it cool in not apparent, i.e. the scenario you would use it in).

Fire Imps City of Villains after they added power customizations.

I changed my Fire/Psionic Corrupter's 3 minions black and most powers black and brown and bound the powers to say things refering to them as 'dirt monkeys.' Made the character look like a demonic pig pen from Charlie Brown fame.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

In the end, I find that stealth/invisibility has been the most menacing and often overpowered ability in numerous MMOs

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

One that gave me one of my most memerable moments would have to be with mind control in WoW. One time i dueled my college roommate and used mind control on him and had him jump into some lava. He was needless to say very upset because there was no way to rez  near his body, and had to spirit rez.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Thunderstorm, (a 51 talent elemental shaman ability in Wow) is by far my favorite. It knocks enemies back a few yards, and therefore is extremely fun in pvp. For example, I often play Eye of the Storm simply to camp the flag and send enemies flying into the abyss when ever they attempt to approach...

When combined with a friendly dk and another shaman, you are able to to treat your foes like a yoyo, throwing them off cliffs and sucking them back then throwing them again...

Make it so...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

IR vision in the games that actually had real darkness. Save my butt many times in Lineage a long time ago.

Removing darkness is one of the worst things they done to the genre, it killed off the fear of the night.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Vampire buff on my Shillien Elder in Linage 2. Transforms the attacks of melee fighters into lifetaps. This way melee dps, i.e. Rogues and Monks, became gods. Melee Area attack classes such as Warlords, Orc Destroyers and Dwarves also benefited greatly.

Later many other classes got the same buff, though.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Loke666

IR vision in the games that actually had real darkness. Save my butt many times in Lineage a long time ago.

Removing darkness is one of the worst things they done to the genre, it killed off the fear of the night.

Totally agree, I miss the days when DAOC was so dark (w/o a torch) enemies with black armor couldn't actually be seen until it was too late. (not that way anymore)

But my favorite ability in an MMO has to be summon, especially if you can summon someone to your dungeon to replace the loot ninja your group just kicked.

More games need this feature.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Off the top of my head I would have to say the survey/sampling ability in SWG.  Not only did it give meaning to exploring the entire planet, but it was also important if you wanted to be a merchent and have enough of the good stuff to last through a drought of bad resources.

Finding good resources soon enough and finding a decent spot.  I really enjoyed that. 

I also really enjoyed the find hidden skill in Ultima Online.  It wasn't a very popular skill, but it came in handy more times than I can remember. 

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

I always the negative enemy, positive self effects. I love leech abilities.  be it full life taps (nuke/heal) or drains (DoT/HoT), and even weakenings ( minus a stat on mob, plus to my stat for X time)

• wicked45wicked45 Member Posts: 59

Stealth Ambush FTW!!!!

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

yea i have to admit when pvp is a feature sealth is the best and funnest ability out there.

Stalking your pray wile they are totaly oblivious of your presence never gets old. ever. 

• EbonyflyEbonyfly Member Posts: 255

I really enjoyed druid shapeshifting in WoW. Dunno why, it just gave me a great deal of fun.

It also gave the class a lot of variety and versatility. Some of my favourite fights of all time were ones which went kind of wrong and I ended DPSing, healing, innervating and off-tanking all in the same pull. The druid class could really shine in that kind of situation. And epic flight-form was awesome!

• ashfallenashfallen Member Posts: 186

Being a Rogue at heart I miss the EQ1 ablity we got at lvl 60 to instantly kill mobs of lvl 46 and below.   Very low % like less then 10%.  However back in the days of Kunark it was the single fastest way to grind exp.  Tank+healer+manaregen rogue rogue rogue... could blow through the exp in Lower guk.  Since at lvl 60 a stead stream of lvl 46 mobs was best way to exp.

Then again that was a time when grinding wasnt considered a bad thing.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

For me it was a purely functional skill, but at the time I was so pleased when I reached the requirements to use it;

Game : Anarchy Online

Skill: Quantum Wings

Effect: Allowed the user to fly

Why? : It was my first MMORPG and the sight of these Metaphysicists hovering around was so cool. It also allowed me to explore the world of Rubi-Ka.

• zXonzXon Member Posts: 12

fear in aion. It was a spiritmaster skill (basically a warlock) and it turned a player or mobs into what was basically a smaller looking version of a warlocks pet voidwalker acutally lol...it just made them scamper around everywere while you were just nuking them or watching them fall off a cliff.

It was so overpowered lol. nothing could dispell it expect for a cleric (priest) and they could only dispel it from other people not themselfs. whenever you got feared you pretty much knew you were screwed. fear was the only reason to even be a SM though becasue they had the worst dps in the game, no cc expect fear, and were tied with being the most squishy class in the game only being able to wear cloth and defense was acutally a huge factor in aion so I guess something had to balance them out.

out of everything thats the first that comes to mind for me and deffinitly one of my favs.