Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will FFXIV Have the WoW Factor?

DeviateDeviate Member UncommonPosts: 219

Had to use the play on words. Let me set the mood first...I played endgame FFXI with a passion 3x jobs to 75 took down all the nasties and what not, but I also played WoW to the endgame runs and took down most of the nasties without the same passion as FFXI. To quote the great Enigo Montoya, "Let me splain, no let me sum up..." WoW was/is too freaking easy which led to less of a movement to find the best players on the server that were required to hunt the nasties. FFXI was difficult to say the least. Money issues, countercamping NMs HNMs, god pop items, CoP missions, you name it...I loved it. I was known for being good at my job in the FFXI, known for having the best gear, our LS was contacted by other LSs to help with strategy on things. You could stand out in FFXI but not in WoW. I never made the friends in WoW I made in FFXI and never was recognized for accomplishments in WoW. It felt good that people would ask me in FFXI seconds after I signed on to join their parties because I did a good job and was almost funny sometimes.

There is a point for discussion --- Will FFXIV have that easy "WoW factor" or still have an edge like FFXI that can make for real heroes and celebrities in game?

My desire is to keep it were only the most dedicated players will get the best stuff, but back off from the FFXI intensity just a little. image

Comments

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266

Reading the title I was ready to type gtfo with that WoW BS then I read your post and quickly changed my mindimage

My guess it would somwhere in between, leaning more towards how FFXI was but hard to say for a game a launch don't think they will have much if not any type of end game FFXI had after Rise of the Zilart.  I don't know how XI was at launch, I jumped on the band wagon on NA PS2 release.  I agree with you on the terms that when you done something in XI it felt like an accomplishment.  If you did a good jop in parties it wasn't hard for you to get one and you made friends easily.  I have a few friends I talk to occasionlly that I met while playing FFXI.  I also hope that 14 is the same way as 11 in that way.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

agreed w/ swak, they are likely going to aim inbetween the 2. 

• SchaapjeSchaapje Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by swalker23

Reading the title I was ready to type gtfo with that WoW BS then I read your post and quickly changed my mindimage

My guess it would somwhere in between, leaning more towards how FFXI was but hard to say for a game a launch don't think they will have much if not any type of end game FFXI had after Rise of the Zilart.  I don't know how XI was at launch, I jumped on the band wagon on NA PS2 release.  I agree with you on the terms that when you done something in XI it felt like an accomplishment.  If you did a good jop in parties it wasn't hard for you to get one and you made friends easily.  I have a few friends I talk to occasionlly that I met while playing FFXI.  I also hope that 14 is the same way as 11 in that way.

HAHAHAHA my thoughts exactly. I was also like STFU don't bring that shit here. But indeed, after reading your posts, I changed my mind.

I to did my share of FFXI and WoW, but to be honest, WoW is too easy and it gets boring alot faster.

There isn't much information known on the actual combat, so I can't really say FFXIV will have the same "WoW thing". But I sure as hell hope that it's not.

FF should stay the way they are.

• DariusGearDariusGear Member Posts: 94

I liked the challenge of FFXI but disagreed with the massive time sink, sorry to say but i don't have 8 hours to accomplish very little, so i hope it caters a bit more to the casual player but isn't a push over game like WoW became

We go trough life with many yet there is a time we must walk our path alone.

• zippy123zippy123 Member Posts: 172

I would like them to take some of the idea's of WoW lately, like an auto Dungeon group finder for casual players, yeah you get some jerks randomly but it is a great idea over having to play to guild BS/or taking 2 hours finding people to run a 20 minute dungeon.

I don't care about hard core or whatever stupidity people talk about, bottom line is the game fun to play and worth the monthly fee is all that really matters.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

There are 2 types of mmo players. Those who have a lot of time to spend and those who don't. Those who don't are much more then the first. i would love to play for hours too but I can't. Now some grind fest games just refuses peoples like me. No matter how much I try I still can't get everything in my limited time. So I'll sadly have to give up. I'm not saying to be super easy but to find a way to make it attractive even to us, the casual players.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I don't derive my sense of accomplishment from video games nor do I ever feel the need to "win" at anything, so the approachability of WoW has always appealed to me in a sense, but I certainly wouldn't mind encounters which required a bit more coordination and teamwork.  No, I don't mean the glorified platform game bossfights and raid encounters either, but moreso encounters which require players to learn their class and to play efficiently in order to defeat a boss.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

The game looks to be aiming for the 'Little more depth than WoW but not as heavy as FFXI was' crowd.

Not really a bad thing either, as there are people who played WoW and want something a little deeper or a bit more challenging yet were unable to get into FFXI because it was a bit too much for them or just too far along in its age for them.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

I think I could live with a middle ground. While I've been known to shout with the "old" gamers on here for a new challenging, punishing game, I just don't know if I would have the time for it anymore. It would be nice to have a game that takes work with obtainable achievements, however.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

If it takes a long time to achieve something, that's cool (and preferred).

If it takes 5 hours a day to achieve something, that's not cool.

That's where my line goes. 

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I'm going to assume SE learned their lesson and eliminate world spawn bosses in XIV. That, without a doubt, was the worst part of XI. Having to camp mobs 12 hours a day (sometimes from work), or getting calls at 4am telling me to we claimed a mob, is not something i honestly ever want to do again.

I enjoyed how much min/maxing of gear sets there is in XI so hopefully that carries over to XIV. Also i hope it carries over the absense of current game mechanics where all you do is spam 1 2 3 4 5. If XIV is anything like XI, minus the timesinks, then i'll be happy.

• Huli22Huli22 Member Posts: 64

I would be glad if the game had more people as the WoW factor brings but I hope it won't have the community the WoW has.(No offence to some serious-normal people).

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

Final Fantasy XI was the frist MMO I have gave any real time too, about 3 months....

I did try EQ1 before hand but I played that for all of about 6 days before uninstalling it, and canceling.

Have the time to play... I can put in 40 hours a week, easy, just the times I play got in the way.

You know how hard was to find a group at 8am (EST) back in 2003? If I was lucky if I found a group by 10am.

And there was nothing to do solo while waiting for a group, cept grind on green con mobs... boring.

Usually by noon I'd get a tell, but it was pointless then cause I usually logged off around 1pm.

Group play was great... but it almost never happen for me, and thus left the game with utter hate for it.

Hate for forced-grouping... Not saying I what to able to everything solo, I just be able to something fun when I can't get a group.

That is what I'm hoping for with FFXIV.

Oh whole leveling down thing needs to go, don't mind a xp loss on death... but leveling down and losing access to you new armor/weapon wasn't cool at all.

• tabarjacktabarjack Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by lornphoenix

Final Fantasy XI was the frist MMO I have gave any real time too, about 3 months....

I did try EQ1 before hand but I played that for all of about 6 days before uninstalling it, and canceling.

Have the time to play... I can put in 40 hours a week, easy, just the times I play got in the way.

You know how hard was to find a group at 8am (EST) back in 2003? If I was lucky if I found a group by 10am.

And there was nothing to do solo while waiting for a group, cept grind on green con mobs... boring.

Usually by noon I'd get a tell, but it was pointless then cause I usually logged off around 1pm.

Group play was great... but it almost never happen for me, and thus left the game with utter hate for it.

Hate for forced-grouping... Not saying I what to able to everything solo, I just be able to something fun when I can't get a group.

Oh whole leveling down thing needs to go, don't mind a xp loss on death... but leveling down and losing access to you new armor/weapon wasn't cool at all.

Luckily for you, there shouldnt be any levelling at all! Well not in the traditional way anyways

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by Alders

I'm going to assume SE learned their lesson and eliminate world spawn bosses in XIV. That, without a doubt, was the worst part of XI. Having to camp mobs 12 hours a day (sometimes from work), or getting calls at 4am telling me to we claimed a mob, is not something i honestly ever want to do again.

I enjoyed how much min/maxing of gear sets there is in XI so hopefully that carries over to XIV. Also i hope it carries over the absense of current game mechanics where all you do is spam 1 2 3 4 5. If XIV is anything like XI, minus the timesinks, then i'll be happy.

I didn't consider that a problem the problm was the static spawn points allowing boters to setup in one position and not even attend their player.This went on forever in the game it was so bad even legit non rmt players would just setup bots at the spawn point so the ywere not afraid of being banned either.Besides that you never have to camp any mob ,it is just somethign that some people enjoy doing,i believe rare drops should be extremely hard to get,they remain rare that way.It was the rmt botters that made a lot of gear non rare because they got every single drop possible.

What i am afraid is that Square does not properly fix their mistakes,instead they put an equal burden on the legit players,so i expect to see more of the rare/ex idea meaning no selling,witch to many is a bad idea.In one full week of effort a grat drop could yield you the gil to satisfy you for several months.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by jackmcleod

Originally posted by lornphoenix

Luckily for you, there shouldnt be any levelling at all! Well not in the traditional way anyways

There will be, SE isn't trying to revolutionize the genre or anything. 

However, it'll be significantly different to other MMO's (although it has similarities from XI)- but yes, there are levels (and ranks).

This coming from someone who read the Alpha Game Manual '-'b

There is also a weakness penalty for dying, but so far no exp loss.

• skoreanimeskoreanime Member Posts: 219

The way they worded it in the manual, the weakness from being KO'd will be just for alpha.  It will probably see a change/s as testing goes on.

Definitely looks more like a placeholder feature from FFXI than something fully thought out. They probably realized that it's better to get player feedback before deciding what to do with the penalty.

• BannneBannne Member Posts: 244

I really think that GW2 is shaping up to hold more appeal than FFXIV,especially in the west. The feature of GW2 are very appealing and really keep me hanging on to everything that's GW2.

It has features that are like swtor meaning..

Full story mode..

Event System(read wiki below)

Fully Voiced.

Vast open world that is a proper mmorpg world this time round.

Vast underwater world which has vast content.

Great graphics.

Some of the features are better than what swtor are offering.

In 2011 it will be between 4 mmorpg.

WOW

FFXIV

SWTOR

GW2

GW2 is being overlooked by many because they think it's the same system as GW1 when they are miles away from each other,it's a real mmorpg this time round.

The latest concept art vids are truely fantastic and really show where this game is heading.

http://www.youtube.com/arenanetofficial

Game features.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

I don't see FF XIV in the run for most subs in 2011.  Detail is slow to come out, but what we have seen, know isn't enticing.  If for no other reason than no jump... I'm out.  And I bought Aion... then realised I couldn't swim and I was out ;)

On difficulty its funny that WoW gets pointed to for easiness.  Every other MMO I play is easier than WoW... every one.  Think people confuse their mastery of WoW with its difficulty compared to others.  If FF XIV is as difficult as FF XI it'll be easier than WoW .  Difficulty wise not stamina or tedious wise =P

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Originally posted by Solude

I don't see FF XIV in the run for most subs in 2011.  Detail is slow to come out, but what we have seen, know isn't enticing.  If for no other reason than no jump... I'm out.  And I bought Aion... then realised I couldn't swim and I was out ;)

On difficulty its funny that WoW gets pointed to for easiness.  Every other MMO I play is easier than WoW... every one.  Think people confuse their mastery of WoW with its difficulty compared to others.  If FF XIV is as difficult as FF XI it'll be easier than WoW .  Difficulty wise not stamina or tedious wise =P

So you bought a game that introduced flying as a major cornerstone of the game, then quit because you cannot swim?  really?

And you want to bring up the point on not being able to jump in ffxiv.  

You are very shallow. =)

• dkniftondknifton Member Posts: 24

hope not cus i think wow blows

Originally posted by Bannne

GW2 is being overlooked by many because they think it's the same system as GW1 when they are miles away from each other,it's a real mmorpg this time round.

The latest concept art vids are truely fantastic and really show where this game is heading.

http://www.youtube.com/arenanetofficial

Game features.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2

I don't think GW2 would stray too far away from it's main appeal, PvP. The first game was really fun PvP wise, because everyone was kinda equal because of the low level cap and equipment not having much of an effect. 

Thus. I don't think GW2 is really "competing" with FFXIV's popularity or vice versa. Because SW:TOR is PvP as well as PvE, it might see GW2 as a competitor.. but FFXIV is not even in the same league. 

I could see myself playing both honestly, since I enjoyed the first GW for my PvP needs. I wouldn't consider one to be "better" than the other though. 

Originally posted by Solude

The amount of details released is the indicator of how many subs the game will have. The more details, the more subscribers. Sounds logical. Or not.

However, considering how shallow your criteria are (no swimming = I'm out?), I wouldn't be surprised if you had similar way of thinking. 

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Originally posted by Alders

I really hope they didn't eliminate world spawn bosses from FFXIV. That was my favorite part of XI. With salvage and other instanced things, you never really "had" to camp those NMs, you chose to. If they don't have any world spawn bosses, I won't have the choice to ignore instances and do what I love to do, I'll be forced into your game immersion breaking instances. See how that isn't the way to go?

Leave the world bosses in and have instances too = giving players a choice. Taking world bosses out would be like me coming on here saying for them to take all instances out and make it all world bosses.