Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: "Life in Eorzea #1" Video Blog Features Gameplay Footage

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Square Enix has released the first video in a new video blog series focused on life in Final Fantasy XIV's world of Eorzea. The video, which is appropriately titled "Life in Eorzea #1" features almost three minutes of gameplay footage, as well as commentary, though the commentary is in Japanese.

The good folks over at FFXIVCore have translated said commentary, be sure to check that out.

I'd have loved to translate it myself, but unfortunately the only thing I could make out was "Oooh! Chocobo!" and "Kawaiiiii!" (cute).

We've got the video right here at MMORPG.com, check it out here!

Comments

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

This is just incredible looking, I can't wait to pick this game up!

• Slasher29Slasher29 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Originally posted by Rajen

i agree  it looks great  keep up the good work SE

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

FPS in that video was BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD. If their computers can't play it without issue, what makes you think our computers won't play it as anything more than a slide show?

And the Japanese unison cheer at the end was covered in the cheeziest cheeze I've ever cheezed.

But I'm not going to lie, this game isn't on my radar. Asian themed games turn me off reeeeeeeeally quick.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

I have to admit that I've never played any of the Final Fantasy series, but my observations are:

1. Wow, that really has an anime feel about it. Detailed anime, but still very anime. Tiny heads, gigantic bodies, cutesy little girls...

2. Movements seemed a bit stiff for a lot of what I saw. Some was interesting, but there was definite stiffness there.

3. This is the game on maxed out settings on a supercomputer. If you're not going to invest $2,000 in a gaming desktop, what will be the experience?

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Capn23

FPS in that video was BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD. If their computers can't play it without issue, what makes you think our computers won't play it as anything more than a slide show?

And the Japanese unison cheer at the end was covered in the cheeziest cheeze I've ever cheezed.

But I'm not going to lie, this game isn't on my radar. Asian themed games turn me off reeeeeeeeally quick.

, I agree.

• ThrawlThrawl Member Posts: 271

Their first video to promote the game and FPS like that?

I'm not impressed.

Our spirit was here long before you

Long before us

And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Originally posted by Thrawl

I'm not impressed.

seems like your in the minority on that one.

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

Feel free to not upgrade your PC if you didn't like what you saw...

The game looks amazing & it'll be worth the investment like FFXI did.

Cya in Eorzea!!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Not too bad at all! Certainly can't wait to play!

• TolandToland Member CommonPosts: 38

the FPS being bad... it's an Alpha build maybe almost Beta... of course there gonna be problems... they have to tweak it, the specs needed for it now and the specs needed for it at release will be very different.

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606

Wow looks great cant wait.... Now that whole FPS crap its in alpha for god sakes people Square isnt going to make a game that 90% of the population cant play thier not stupid so relax its gonng be okay

Originally posted by sly220

Wow looks great cant wait.... Now that whole FPS crap its in alpha for god sakes people Square isnt going to make a game that 90% of the population cant play there not stupid so relax its gonng be okay

Agreed lol. Idk why people are freaking out thinking they will never be able to play it on anything, but a top of the line computer. I do not think SE is that dumb at all. They will make sure that as many people as possible can play this game if they want.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

I don't know why people always lump the FF MMOs in with the other asian games... FFXI was closer to the older western MMOs than eastern ones and I expect it'll be the same with XIV.

The video looks great though considering it's still in alpha.

• tuzalovtuzalov Member Posts: 183

Asian themed games,that makes me laugh.

Originally posted by PhelimReagh

I have to admit that I've never played any of the Final Fantasy series.

If you haven't played any Final Fantasy games your definately missing out on only the best RPG franchise ever.

And techniquely thats not even an Alpha build.

Originally posted by tuzalov

Asian themed games,that makes me laugh.

I have to admit that I've never played any of the Final Fantasy series.

If you haven't played any Final Fantasy games your definately missing out on only the best RPG franchise ever.

And techniquely thats not even an Alpha build.

Can you explain how it is not an alpha build? I am pretty sure the game is in that stage right now.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Yep they are working on it and already said the Alpha may require higher than normal specs.I hope they don't delay the game for the Xbox witch apparently they are struggling bigtime with and even more odd they get better fps on the xbox than the ps3.Using their totally tight linear game FFXIII they struggled to get 30 frames on PS3 an that was using 720p not 1080 p.Remember they are not claiming game is in Beta,this is ALPHA !.

Thing is i am not worried about it,just about anything will look better than FFXI and they will eventually get the framerates up to playable standards.I am MUCH more worried about game play,how they implement abilites/spells/class structure.I also want to know if i will be lead through some hand held series of quests that are basically a MUST to develope my player.

As they stated this is just the first video,so they could not divulge much ,instead they are going to tease us with very small portions at a time.

One thing that bothered me was ,i was just watching an older video and they say FFXI was a 4-5 month Beta and they hope this round will be longer,geesh that means a very end of year release,like October at best ..bah.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Alberel

I don't know why people always lump the FF MMOs in with the other asian games... FFXI was closer to the older western MMOs than eastern ones and I expect it'll be the same with XIV.

Some people hear a Japanese voice and automatically think of anime.

People will find anything to complain about, FPS on a youtube video? really thats all someone could come up with... the bright side is less whiny people are going to be playing the game. :)

• PuffahPuffah Member Posts: 31

How is this incredible looking? EQ2 has looked exactly like this for 5+ years lol. I'm on the fence about this game still.. I really enjoyed the first one but I'm just not liking what I see so far I hope that changes.

• PuffahPuffah Member Posts: 31

Most people that do those kinds of things lack any kind of cultural appreciation and would probably turn their nose up to anything outside of their culture. They hear a Japanese voice and automatically think of anime. It almost goes hand in hand with people that get all mad and in a fuss when they hear someone speak spanish in a predominantly english speaking country and automatically think "that person is an illegal."

People will find anything to complain about, FPS on a youtube video? you got it... the bright side is less whiny people are going to be playing the game. :)

And you're being just as ignorant trying to pigeonhole a group that may not like a game that you do.. Good job

Originally posted by Puffah

And you're being just as ignorant trying to pigeonhole a group that may not like a game that you do.. Good job

I changed my post for you, lets not go off topic and provoke an argument yeah? I'm sorry you weren't impressed with the video, it really looks good to a lot of people, maybe their next video will be more your cup of tea. :)

Originally posted by Puffah

How is this incredible looking? EQ2 has looked exactly like this for 5+ years lol. I'm on the fence about this game still.. I really enjoyed the first one but I'm just not liking what I see so far I hope that changes.

I actually agree that there is a strong resemblence to EQ2's graphical style. I noticed this in the first gameplay shots we had but I personally love this because EQ2 was always one of my favourite games (until SOE gutted it with the CS).

Saying that the quality is the same though is just unfounded. The art style may be similar but the graphical quality of XIV is far superior.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Some people hear a Japanese voice and automatically think of anime.

People will find anything to complain about, FPS on a youtube video? really thats all someone could come up with... the bright side is less whiny people are going to be playing the game. :)

I don't think it's so much the Asian voice that makes one think "anime", as much as it is the actual anime you see in the video.

It may not be cheap, overly-stylized anime, but it definitely looks "Asian".

i'd love a game with an Asian theme, lore, culture, etc., if it wasn't anime. Sadly, all you get out of Asian companies these days seems to be anime.

A lot of folks don't like/appreciate anime, just as others seem to dislike other art styles.

I'm sure this will do great in Asia, and will gain a sizable following here in the U.S. However, it does have a definite Asian/anime feel about it.

I don't think it's so much the Asian voice that makes one think "anime", as much as it is the actual anime you see in the video.

It may not be cheap, overly-stylized anime, but it definitely looks "Asian".

i'd love a game with an Asian theme, lore, culture, etc., if it wasn't anime. Sadly, all you get out of Asian companies these days seems to be anime.

A lot of folks don't like/appreciate anime, just as others seem to dislike other art styles.

I'm sure this will do great in Asia, and will gain a sizable following here in the U.S. However, it does have a definite Asian/anime feel about it.

That's just the art style that's common in their culture. They most likely find it just as peculiar that we use the style that we do to depict characters in animation and videogames. Over here everyone will argue that we go for photorealism but I'd say there is still a definite artistic style even in those games, most westerners just can't see it because they've been brought up with it.

The problem is a lot of people associate certain visual styles with certain gameplay styles. The most frustrating is when they associate the 'anime' art style with korean games exclusively which are known for being grindy. The FF series are japanese, and whilst their games may look similar to korean ones they definetely aren't anywhere near as shallow.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I find it more realistic than animeish, but there's that cute-ish factor to it that is not present in western MMO's. It's not overly realistic, like in AoC for example, but more beautiful and should I say, cleaner kind of realistic?

The elves for example look like something I would imagine elves to really look like, in Salvatore's books or something similar. Shaders have that Drow look in them, and I don't think western art style can capture it as well as the eastern can.  

And while there are races like Lalafell that scream cute and anime and everything like that to me, there's also the opposite kind of races to balance things up.

I find these to be more western stylish, from artistic direction at least. More buff, rough looking figures and not so "pretty" like the human in the alpha vid.

I think everyone will find something they'd prefer from this game. Only problem will be coping with the other races in-game =P.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Waldoe

Originally posted by Thrawl

I'm not impressed.

seems like your in the minority on that one.

Only someone with blinders on would not comment on the FPS issue, in fact many in this post have.  Of course it still in development and they have time to improve the client, but it is most certainly a significant issue at this point.