Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing with Europeans. Good, Bad, Ugly?

124»

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I'm surprised so many people speake of pleasent experiences playing with Europeans. My experiences playing on European servers have been very mixed.

I have been in a game where the entire gaming population was made up almost entirely out of germans. It became the standard language and it was presumed you spoke german.

You can sometimes run into the problem of unofficial language servers in popular games. What this means is that sometimes a large group of people of a particular language settle on one server. This server will then be known as the unofficial server of that language, and many people speaking that language will join that server.

This can lead to many problems if you don't speak that language and it can seriously damage your enjoyment of the game.

Playing in a party where a few members speak the same language that isn't english while the rest speaks english can also lead to unpleasant experiences. This often leads to an us vs them mentality, which is less than ideal when you're playing as a group. Especially when valuable loot is found.

Other problems have already been mentioned by others. Sometimes people don't know what the game asks them to do because they don't understand it or miscommunications.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Im just fine with mixed servers or preferably one huge server. Ive enjoyed my time in EVE and SL where you run into people from all nationalities. Ive never had a bad experience with another player just because he/she wasnt American so I do not see a reason for segregating it. Back in the day when we had high pings crossing the oceans it might have mattered, but I play TF2 with my buddies stationed overseas all the time now without any latency issues.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

I played EvE for about 4 years, and even though my "performance" as a Player of EvE made Daniel Jackson look awesome, I did in fact love one aspect of EvE Online that relates directly with your poll....

One Server and almost everyone on the planet playing EvE was on it. It was my pleasure to fly with many Players that were not from my own country (US) and I very much enjoyed the experience.

I wish LotRO was mixed, but it is not officially.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I think one of the best parts of playing an mmo is meeting lots of different people from all over the world. So the more, the merrier for me.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests