Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing with Europeans. Good, Bad, Ugly?

IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Do you think servers should be continent specific, or mix and match?

Or how about a choice, like NA server (North America) EU server (Europe) or Mixed Server (both EU and NA).

I understand the Publishers don't like mixed servers. Why? Because it has to do with sales and licensing.

You license the game in say, the EU, and someone runs the servers and collects all the money. So the person buying that license doesn't want players to be able to go to a NA server, and skip out on paying them money because they have to play on the EA server.

I just got an email from DAoC that they are consolidating their servers, so now EU and NA will be on the same servers. Probably because of low pop more than anything else.

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/international/goa/

What kind of servers do you want?

What od you think the options will be for upcoming games, like SWTOR? NA servers only, or opportunity to play with Europeans?

Comments

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Unfortunately, you are missing an option or two.  Why should I have to play with Canadians?  Would rather play with Euros.  Some do not want to play with Canadians nor Euros.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

I find Global (mixed) servers to be a lot more fun. Also not to mention the advantage of 24 hours activity. I can log even on off hours and get things done.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Unfortunately, you are missing an option or two.  Why should I have to play with Canadians?  Would rather play with Euros.  Some do not want to play with Canadians nor Euros.

Canadians are North America.

• pyrocrazypyrocrazy Member Posts: 65

This'll sound racist. But idc whether or not I play with europeans or not, they are usually a cool bunch.

I do care about the asians tho @_@ they tend to rape my MMO experience. No not asian people, but the asian goldbots+spambots. Asians=cool peoplpe, but its pro vs con. Would you rather play with cool people and deal with the asian bot companies or unfortunately ban the cool people along with the 3rd party companies

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

You miss a point, the latency.

Some people play on servers that are near them to have less latency when they play online so if x guy is from europe and wants to play on american server he/she will know that the latency will be higher (depending on server stability too)

I won't vote in the poll because the choices are lacking.

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Which is an issue for some people.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

ur... Weird... Had no text for some reason...

Basically said I don't care where people are from. I choose my servers based on latency. 300+ sustained ping is unacceptable for me.

you mean some people don't understand Geography, and what a contintent is?

Which part of not wanting to play with Canadians was too much for you?  If you designate servers as NA, you have to play with Canadians.  Understand the obvious yet?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Soon as we finish up with those nasty messes in the middle east we'll be looking to annex some new States to the Union.  image (need to get some folks to help us run our new health care programs)

But what I really love about EVE is that I do get a chance to game with people all around the globe.  I've been corpmates with folk from at least a dozen or more nations and think most games should be designed like this.

Even though DAOC had Euro servers, many Euros played on the US ones (because they didn't suck) and I was actually a member of a Norweigen based guild for a time, they were great fun and ran really great stealth gangs.

One of may favorite experiences in DAOC was when I was asked to be a healer for 7 other folks from Japan who spoke very little English.  Outside of a few worlds by the leader, (heal me, help, etc) I just watched  their converstations as we fought our way into some deeper dungeon content that I had never seen before in the game until that point.

I hooked with them several other times (they didn't really play during my core hours) and for the rest of my time in game the group leader would message me regularly just to say hello, even though we never could talk to each other.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Generally speaking, it does not really matter where the person lives - every country has its fair share of douches.  As mentioned, it is kind of nifty plaing with folks from around the globe in EVE as long as you can get around any language barriers.  To some extent, there may be greater differences between people in NY and GA than between NA and EU.

Which part of not wanting to play with Canadians was too much for you?  If you designate servers as NA, you have to play with Canadians.  Understand the obvious yet?

Servers are broken up by geographical region, not political boundaries.

It's about these things called cables, and where they go and how long they have to travel.

I don't think developers are going to break things up along political boundaries, so your point is kinda moot, which is why it wouldn't make sense to put it in the poll.

It's about this:

You see, the internet communicates over these fiber optic cables, and the longer they have to...

Oh screw it, google it yourself.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

On the point about latency; I'm in the UK, I got better performance connecting to the NA City Of Heroes servers than I ever did connecting to the EU ones (UK apparently has a better connection to the US than to mainland Europe). The main reason I stopped playing CoH was due to lack of players, yet there are (relatively speaking) plenty on the NA servers - if they merged the server lists I'd go back...

Aside from EU CoH, I also played EU WAR for a while, and quite apart from the lack of players, there's a general sense of 'second class citizens' playing on 'EU Ghetto' servers over here.

In both games, people have been wishing the EU arm would close and get rolled into the NA company; personally, I won't subscribe to an EU MMO now.

I'll stick with Champions Online (despite its failings) and Eve - they both got the one-world customer base, one-world server right.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

I prefer World servers. There is always someone to play with online no matter when you log on. The economy is better spread out and you can sell stuff over night without any problems.

FFXI has World Servers, a 8 year old game is able to do this without any problems. It is also the only mmo where all 3 platforms (PS2, XBOX, PC) play together.

The latency argument is complete bull. MMO's are built to compensate for latency or they would not work in the first place. Not to mention that most of the NA players i know have a crappy internet connection and lower ping than i have from Germany.

This is the internet, distance to the target has nothing to do with latency. The routing of your provider however does factor in BIG time.

You don't have to shout into your phone if you call someone far away, you know. Thats not how it works.

KJ

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by Kyleran

Soon as we finish up with those nasty messes in the middle east we'll be looking to annex some new States to the Union.  image (need to get some folks to help us run our new health care programs)

But what I really love about EVE is that I do get a chance to game with people all around the globe.  I've been corpmates with folk from at least a dozen or more nations and think most games should be designed like this.

Even though DAOC had Euro servers, many Euros played on the US ones (because they didn't suck) and I was actually a member of a Norweigen based guild for a time, they were great fun and ran really great stealth gangs.

One of may favorite experiences in DAOC was when I was asked to be a healer for 7 other folks from Japan who spoke very little English.  Outside of a few worlds by the leader, (heal me, help, etc) I just watched  their converstations as we fought our way into some deeper dungeon content that I had never seen before in the game until that point.

I hooked with them several other times (they didn't really play during my core hours) and for the rest of my time in game the group leader would message me regularly just to say hello, even though we never could talk to each other.

ya ccp!added some gear in diff country so they can satisfy their gamer(get rid of lag)

if i was a company from asia or other part of the world i would try to do a deal with ccp if i plan to do world server instead of the localisation crap!witch prevent me from playing against say chinese or  russian

the only thing i ask is that they put diff langage channel like you have guild chat ,party chat etc

they could add english chat ,spanish chat!

those guys are at the cutting edge in every sense!

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Why doesn't the thread title say "playing with people from other continents"? Instead the op assumes everyone who reads this is US-american.

On the one hand I don't care. If the latency is alright and the community mature (ie FE) it doesn't matter to me who is where from.

On the other and it can lead to problems. For example BattleForge had only world servers when released, and a large amount of the players were german. They bought the german version of game in Germany, had no german server to choose from so just picked any, and of course talked german ingame. Instantly many people complained, and threads popped up on the boards about the topic, and people tried to force them to speak english, which of course doesn't make any sense. You can't sell a game to a nation in their own language and then try to forbid them to use that language. That however alienated players who didn't understand german, and the us players were totally lost anyway since many spoke neither german nor french nor russian and whatnot.

Or in FE there had been a discussion about maintenance times. If a large part of the playerbase is european, why should they be unable to play the game during the early evening, the time when most people play. Why beeing treated as 2nd class citizen that way.

About the communities themselves... I noticed that in some games the global/us version is worse than the EU one. It might be coincidence, but both in WoW and LoL there were huge differences.

So in short: it doesn't really matter to me. If latency is fine and the community mature: why not. Otherwise though I gladly escape the US and stay on EU or even german servers if available. Beeing called a Nazi or hearing any argument turn to "if we would not have been in WW2, then ..." becomes tiring quickly. :)

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

It's about these things called cables, and where they go and how long they have to travel.

I don't think developers are going to break things up along political boundaries, so your point is kinda moot, which is why it wouldn't make sense to put it in the poll.

It's about this:

You see, the internet communicates over these fiber optic cables, and the longer they have to...

It is moot in your opinion.  The poll was not about the latency issues.  The post addressed financial issues and the poll itself addressed the people.  Your opininon that the poll does not offer enough options because of technical issues is rather moot, since it was not addressed in either the original post nor the poll itself.  While the issue of not wanting to play with Canadians would fit in, since the poll addresses playing with different people outside of the physical boundaries and looks at the people themselves.  Were it just about continents, would we not have NA, SA, EU, AS, AU, AF there then?  Perhaps you would combine the people of NA and SA just to be the Americas?  That would be as much a disservice to the people of NA and SA as say including Canadians in the same breath as Americans.  It is funny how much sophistry takes place in these forums as people say something stupid and then try to weasel out of it by trying to look smart and funny.  Normally when somebody does somethign that stupid in a MMORPG, they unplug their computer, try to pretend it never happened, and hope everybody forgets quickly...

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Definitely enjoy playing with people from other places. The saddest thing is that the written English of foreign born, non-english speaking people tends to be as good or better than people from the U.S. & Canada.

One lovely conversation which included some Super Group mates some of which I knew their locations:

"Croc" (U.S. Detroit): okay, meat at mission, getting some insps.
    "Minxy" (Belgium (iirc)): steak?
    "???" (dk Pick up member): bacon?
    Me "Caffeine Girl" (U.S.): chicken?
    "Croc": wtf r u guys taking about?
    Minxy: lol
    ???: lol
    Me: :)

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

It's about this:

lol your argument is irelevent when they installed those cable they installed too many

i dont know how much of them arent connected but there is a lot

and connecting them is very easy but the thing is they arent needed there is already too much bandwith

they installed those cable in case and in the end most are sleeping there only a v ery limited few are being used

and to make mather worst fiber optic optimisation technology got better

so before they could swueaze  say 100 million game now with the optimisation they can squweaze 10 time more!

so most of the cable dont need to be plugged!

Originally posted by maji

About the communities themselves... I noticed that in some games the global/us version is worse than the EU one. It might be coincidence, but both in WoW and LoL there were huge differences.

So in short: it doesn't really matter to me. If latency is fine and the community mature: why not. Otherwise though I gladly escape the US and stay on EU or even german servers if available. Beeing called a Nazi or hearing any argument turn to "if we would not have been in WW2, then ..." becomes tiring quickly. :)

Yep, this pretty much sums it up - it is about the people, the realization that good and bad can be found regardless to where one is playing from; and to discount this can make things ugly.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

Depends on the game, with games such as WoW, EQ2 etc it plays better having them on seperate continents and seperate servers (mostly because of language which is why NA is region 1 and we're region 2, the difference between PAL and NTSC is console and completely different)

Games such as Fallen Earth where 1 server rule applies, it's a nice change playing with yanks.. much like xbox live et al are designed for world play simply because of the structure nature of that particular network.

although i no longer play xbox live (i see little point in it now that i'm slightly older and the games have gotten slightly more idiotic in nature), i was the classic "deplorable", where Mechassault and RTCW (wolfie) were my top favourite games of yesteryear.

all that really changes [language aside] once you enter a cultures mindset is the accent (you'd be surprised how many dutch, german, spanish and french etc speak better english than the english or yanks). Of course yanks don't really speak or write in english, it's american english.

it's really not my fault Noah Webster couldn't spell... colour.. okay.. it's not... harbour, armour... damnit...

i think it's weird when i visit my best friend in MN, my accent changes after a week or so and i get so many weird looks when i get back to Scotland... i do like to travel and i like a fresh change but it really depends on the game, developer and structure that they can work with... as game and fibre optics resources grow... who knows what the future holds.

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

Why doesn't the thread title say "playing with people from other continents"? Instead the op assumes everyone who reads this is US-american.

On the one hand I don't care. If the latency is alright and the community mature (ie FE) it doesn't matter to me who is where from.

On the other and it can lead to problems. For example BattleForge had only world servers when released, and a large amount of the players were german. They bought the german version of game in Germany, had no german server to choose from so just picked any, and of course talked german ingame. Instantly many people complained, and threads popped up on the boards about the topic, and people tried to force them to speak english, which of course doesn't make any sense. You can't sell a game to a nation in their own language and then try to forbid them to use that language. That however alienated players who didn't understand german, and the us players were totally lost anyway since many spoke neither german nor french nor russian and whatnot.

Or in FE there had been a discussion about maintenance times. If a large part of the playerbase is european, why should they be unable to play the game during the early evening, the time when most people play. Why beeing treated as 2nd class citizen that way.

all the reason you gave are exactly why its cool to have world server

say you plan a war against !@#%$^&;%^() thats the name you see on your screen because you dont use their langage

same for them,if i go to war trust me the pressure is way bigger if i see a foreign langage then my native langage

if i see french i ll often ignore the chat

but if someone yell @#%$^%&;%*( are invading hell i ll run like hell to prevent them from coming trough the rift

of to tabazra desert(aika as exemple)

it makes it a lot more fun too !it happened in guild wars all the time

korean came in or japanese and took the honor you would see various country step in and for honor sake try to grab back the top spot since they couldnt stand say irak being on top or iran lol!silly hell ya but it made them a lot more competetive then other wise they would have said bha this isnt worth my time and effort.

so i think world server are way better then localised server!

• EbonyflyEbonyfly Member Posts: 255

I'm from the UK so i'm already used to playing with people all across Europe and it's something I rather like, meeting people from lots of different places.

UO had global servers and although I played on a server based in Europe I played late at night so I ended up with lots of friends from the US. I think that kind of 24 hour activity is a big advantage for global servers, the only problem being when to shut the server down for maintenance.

Originally posted by Ebonyfly

I'm from the UK so i'm already used to playing with people all across Europe and it's something I rather like, meeting people from lots of different places.

UO had global servers and although I played on a server based in Europe I played late at night so I ended up with lots of friends from the US. I think that kind of 24 hour activity is a big advantage for global servers, the only problem being when to shut the server down for maintenance.

very true ! i guess they shut it at their convenience lol(game maker)

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

+1 for World Servers.

I have no trouble at all with my connection to the US to play FE, and I love that there are people playing 24/7 from all over the world. If I can't sleep, I'll log in and never find the place deserted, it really does make a difference when it comes to that MMO feel, there is no time where it's just you, the NPCs and some tumbleweeds. 

As far as I know MMORPG.com is a US site, which is why it's in English (unless it's in Great Britian, and I don't think so) so the default would be American.

I don't assume you're from the US. But if MMORPG.com were located in say, France, I'd have posted "Playing with North Americans..." for example.