Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never had such a problem getting a refund on pre-orders

ShaolinnShaolinn Member UncommonPosts: 7

Anywhere I've pre-ordered a game before has willingly refunded my money with no hassle.

But I had to e-mail these goons 5 times just to get a response of "We can't refund your money because it's been more than a week"

Now this is back in January and my box just got here the other day. I really had regretted buying the game and did not want to play it, period. The game was unreleased and didn't have a foreseeable release date, and I had to pay so much for a shoddy product like it in the first place that I just wanted to get even a partial refund if possible so I can buy a game worth my time. But they really don't wanna let my money go despite my being an unsatisfied customer.

Their crappy game box came unsealed, with one single disc, no manual or anything, no extras, and a few scratches on it even as if someone had accidentally stepped on it on the floor.

Never seen such a group of swindlers in my life.

My advice to anyone thinking about this game: Don't buy it, the game sucks and there's better things you can do with your time. The devs are amateurs at best, and they're egotistical and lazy.

Comments

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

how many pre-ordered games have you cancelled on?

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

that doesn't sound good... personally never had a problem cancelling any preorder even after taking advantage of the "open beta with preorder"; such as Champions Online, Aion, Star Trek Online, etc

Amazon, Gameplay, HMV, play.com, Game, Gamestation, Steam, etc... even the now dead Woolworths and Virgin.

Problems seem to occur when buying directly from the company rather than retail or digital... no surprise there... they like money! Although if you didn't open it, normally they'd give you a full refund in the UK with games.. or you can swop it for something you do want.

however, with any MMO's here, thats pretty void.. most even have warnings with "once opened cannot be returned" (although i think HMV et al apart from GAME have since removed this..)

I know in terms of Funcom most people got a refund due to the discription of the product. Although in this case it'd be easy to go with "be of satisfactory quality".

to be honest send it back recorded delivery, get in touch with whatever card company you used, get the money back from them. They should not have charged you until they sent the game. (if they did.. wow are they shoddy - that's a no no in the UK unless specifically written down and easy to spot)

of course if they start swearing or being abusive, you have them hook line and sinker...

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• ShaolinnShaolinn Member UncommonPosts: 7

Originally posted by describable

that doesn't sound good... personally never had a problem cancelling any preorder even after taking advantage of the "open beta with preorder"; such as Champions Online, Aion, Star Trek Online, etc

Amazon, Gameplay, HMV, play.com, Game, Gamestation, Steam, etc... even the now dead Woolworths and Virgin.

Problems seem to occur when buying directly from the company rather than retail or digital... no surprise there... they like money! Although if you didn't open it, normally they'd give you a full refund in the UK with games.. or you can swop it for something you do want.

however, with any MMO's here, thats pretty void.. most even have warnings with "once opened cannot be returned" (although i think HMV et al apart from GAME have since removed this..)

I know in terms of Funcom most people got a refund due to the discription of the product. Although in this case it'd be easy to go with "be of satisfactory quality".

That's the thing though dude, I receive the game and it was already OPENED. I'd love to send it back and get my money back sans shipping but even if I had a prayer of that they could just say the damn thing was opened by me despite it coming opened already.

I thought I had received a used copy or something. It was as they've never heard of plastic wrap or seals in sweden ( no offense swedes, but Starvault gives you that impression with their crummy packaging )

• ShaolinnShaolinn Member UncommonPosts: 7

What I'm wondering now is if someone can possibly help me in achieving the insurmountable task of getting a refund from this company once the game is actually launched.

What do I have to claim to get a refund at that point in time? Any ideas? I really want no part of this product.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

Originally posted by Shaolinn

That's the thing though dude, I receive the game and it was already OPENED. I'd love to send it back and get my money back sans shipping but even if I had a prayer of that they could just say the damn thing was opened by me despite it coming opened already.

I thought I had received a used copy or something. It was as they've never heard of plastic wrap or seals in sweden ( no offense swedes, but Starvault gives you that impression with their crummy packaging )

Wow... seriously unsealed... missed that sorry, that's just.... i've never had that, i mean sure i get unsealed 360, PS3 games via a retail store, as they have the discs you know in the drawers behind them. Mostly because they can put the empty cases up for viewing.

But via post... no, never. I got Shakira's first album from Sweden (mostly because it was released faster there than here, yes i was young) but.. that was sealed properly.

wonder if anyone else got an open box... that's just... i dunno, with MMO's it never happens. (really hope the code in the box actually works... can you imagine if you got a 2nd hand copy)

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Shaolinn

What I'm wondering now is if someone can possibly help me in achieving the insurmountable task of getting a refund from this company once the game is actually launched.

What do I have to claim to get a refund at that point in time? Any ideas? I really want no part of this product.

If you find a way then let me know because I am in the same boat as you.

• These threads might help you:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/361/view/forums/thread/271850/How-do-I-get-a-refund-for-my-preorder.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/361/view/forums/thread/264236/MORTAL-ONLINE-WARNING.html

However, please remember to be careful in general with pre-ordering. I always try to advise people to at least wait for screenshots, footage, reports, reviews and (best) free trials before commiting themselves.

• rlmccoy1987rlmccoy1987 Member Posts: 1,722

Credit card dispute will get you a refund in about a week.  I bet the CC companies know about Starvault's business practices...  If you preordered 60+ days ago, use this guide

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/30129-refund.html#post663191

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Money's been spent, and if you received a disk the CC companies might consider the product "delivered". Doubtful they understand the concept of a launched MMO and by all accounts, you can play MO right now. (even if the experience sucks)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Money's been spent, and if you received a disk the CC companies might consider the product "delivered". Doubtful they understand the concept of a launched MMO and by all accounts, you can play MO right now. (even if the experience sucks)

There are other ways such as:

false advertising

game will not run due to bugs and Starvault will not respond to emails about it

I am not satisfied (that is actually an agreement with some CC's)

etc

There are many ways to get a refund even if you got the box.

• From what I understood, the box he got was damaged. If something is broken, isn't it normal to be able to get a refund for it?

Originally posted by reijan

From what I understood, the box he got was damaged. If something is broken, isn't it normal to be able to get a refund for it?

Yes, he should get a refund because it was damaged.  I would never accept a damaged product if I purchased it on the internet and it was shipped to my front door smashed...  image

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

>>false advertising

Main website still says the game is releasing in march. You might be able to get a refund based on that complaint.

He who keeps his cool best wins.