Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bush v. Gore

astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

When I saw a nice decapitation and screen blood splatter in Age of Conan this week, I thought about this article where Switzerland is preparing to outlaw violent games.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=17949

Here is my question to the MMORPGites: In your personal experience, i.e. friends, family, classmates, do you think violent or sexual content in games increases maladaptive behavior?

I personally have always thought this debate was ridiculous. I should add that I have a long career working with troubled and at-risk children. I have known many violent children and have always perceived a correlation to impulse control. In fact, I can't imagine them being successful at any indepth game since it would take too much concentration. Even FPSs and console games that required learning a relatively short button mashing sequence seemed to frustrate the violent children I have known.

As for non-violent children being made violent by games, I have never seen any evidence. The fact that seems to elude those who promote this censorship is that we humans can delineate a clear line between fantasy and reality.

But I would be interested in your opinions.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

Comments

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Lol Was gana say RnP is above... Nice work there ;p

And its silly that these countrys are Blameing Violence from kids on games and TV and not the parents.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Do you think games need excessive gore and sex to be fun? I don't really have problem with a company being held responsible for it's content, and It might actually make some games better. Having said that, video games are not responsible for making our kid's violent, that's something we all have to take the blame for.  I would say games serve as a scape-goat as much as anything.

Also, I think the thread title should be Bush & Gore : D

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

i like gore in my games as long as it isnt excessive, because tbh if your hitting somebody with a 2h axe and all you see is a little blood spatter its a bit bleh. Now when you start cutting off their limbs or see gashs in where you hit them, i call it good effects. But i'm more inclined to enjoy games with more realism in them. Countries banning violent video games should be banning violent movies but they arent, and that just makes em hypocrites in my book.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Originally posted by tvalentine

i like gore in my games as long as it isnt excessive, because tbh if your hitting somebody with a 2h axe and all you see is a little blood spatter its a bit bleh. Now when you start cutting off their limbs or see gashs in where you hit them, i call it good effects. But i'm more inclined to enjoy games with more realism in them. Countries banning violent video games should be banning violent movies but they arent, and that just makes em hypocrites in my book.

Further reason why it is ridiculous, the videogame industry now makes more $ than the movie industry.

O_o o_O

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by Bigdavo

Originally posted by tvalentine

Further reason why it is ridiculous, the videogame industry now makes more $ than the movie industry.

the fact that movie tickets and dvds are 1/3 the price of new games might be part of it image

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -