Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am i the only one saying WTF?

Comments

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by Datcyde

Square has this rule to make a new type of game every time they make a new game but they decide to make the same ugly races like the wanabe elves i hate those lol.

If I was a total nerd I would be soo pissed but I think this poster is right about the same type of game again it just dosent make sense I think they want just another game that people cycle through and now there theres alot more mmo players then before it should keep the game going with the cycles.

Also shame on them because they know the fans deserved a proper sequel to Fina Fantasy 7 but they make a squel type for a mmo instead ?

I don't see what the big deal is about the races in MMOs, if anything FF games have the more unique races out of the bunch. Usually MMOs just have the; human, dwarf, elf, ogre, type of races.

As Alberel said in the post above me, this game is aiming at the current fanbase, the people that love the FF games for what they are. Don't get me wrong I would also like a remake/sequal to FF7 just as much as the next fan but single player and MMO games are in two completely different areas to me.

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

Originally posted by zanfire

once again, stop thinking this is FFXI-2, the gameplay workings so far seem VASTLY diffrent. And as for the race thing, most MMOs in the same series do this (Everquest, Linage, and even starwars/guildwars will have many similar races. and SWTOR is a game made by a new dev.) so the reusing races thing has been done a bunch of times, most games just adding new ones at most.

Yeah but there is a HUGE difference in your flawed mindset.

Everquest and Everquest 2 - Exact Same place, exact same world, exact same races.

Lineage 2 - exact same universe world/ same races and class sets

Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, same universe, same world.

In Guild wars there were Charr, guess what a charr is called in Guild Wars 2, a damn charr.

VS

In FFXI there were Taru Taru, guess what a Taru Taru is called in FFXIV, a "Lalafell"? Which is the most ridiculous name I ever heard to begin with, but whatever. They look EXACTLY like a Taru, not kinda like one, EXACTLY like one, these 2 "universes" aren't even suppose to be linked, so wtf?

It is laziness.

If we take a movie let's say Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory with Johnny Depp.

Now let's make a new movie called Zilly Zonka and the Meat Processing Plant with Johnny Depp.

BUT

Let's dress up Johnny Depp in the exact bright cloths and top hat he wore in Willy Wonka while filming Zilly Zonka... yeah it's like that. Stupid.

Anyway, I agree with the OP, The potential for me to play this game went from 100 -> 0 when I seen the races. I really could care less about the gameplay at this point. It could be god's gift to MMO's but I will never find out, cause I refuse to look at stupid Galkas and Elvaans again a second time around. The first time was bad enough.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by toddze

I am not with you OP.

30 days to raise a choco isnt that bad.  I personally thought it should be longer, I mean your raising a darn pet. You had to feed it, Different feeds allowed for differnt growths. Same way with growing stuff in your mog house. MMO's take time, I just want to know where all this "I want it and I want it now" attitude came from.  Wait never mind I know where it came from. Lets just give everybody everything soon as they log on.  Many other mmo's have similar timesinks, since I am playing allods ill refrence that here, It takes 100 rl days to build an astral ship. 30 days doesnt seem so long now does it?

Using same races? Your really dissapointed about that? Like another guy said most games use same races. Not really a big deal at all. Sure some games have something different and neat like gibberlings in allods (3 little hamsters that act as 1) that novelty wears off after a few hours of gameplay. Give us good content and you wont even notice that your a galka.

I agree with this. I actually like the idea of things taking time. It, to me gives it a more immersive feel. I mean if I got a baby choc, and fed it a coule times then boom it s full grown and does everything, thats boring. Little things like this is why I loved FFXI. The instant gratification stuff can be nice but I miss the old days of MMOs, things felt like an accomplishment, while not being a second job at the same time. Hell I missed the old days of leveling in DAOC, where it took months and I mean months not a few days to hit max level. Oh well thats how I feel anyways. The races thing, well not sure what to say about it, except that doesn t bother me in the least.

• JenksFTWJenksFTW Member Posts: 72

Who is being lazy? Ok, so SE left the races the same but created a whole new structure, new questing, and combat system. Where as the other games upped the graphics and made some new quests. Seems to me they are being the lazy ones.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - J.R.R. Tolkien

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Originally posted by neonaka

once again, stop thinking this is FFXI-2, the gameplay workings so far seem VASTLY diffrent. And as for the race thing, most MMOs in the same series do this (Everquest, Linage, and even starwars/guildwars will have many similar races. and SWTOR is a game made by a new dev.) so the reusing races thing has been done a bunch of times, most games just adding new ones at most.

Everquest and Everquest 2 - Exact Same place, exact same world, exact same races.

In Guild wars there were Charr, guess what a charr is called in Guild Wars 2, a damn charr.

VS

In FFXI there were Taru Taru, guess what a Taru Taru is called in FFXIV, a "Lalafell"? Which is the most ridiculous name I ever heard to begin with, but whatever. They look EXACTLY like a Taru, not kinda like one, EXACTLY like one, these 2 "universes" aren't even suppose to be linked, so wtf?

It is laziness.

If we take a movie let's say Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory with Johnny Depp.

Now let's make a new movie called Zilly Zonka and the Meat Processing Plant with Johnny Depp.

BUT

Let's dress up Johnny Depp in the exact bright cloths and top hat he wore in Willy Wonka while filming Zilly Zonka... yeah it's like that. Stupid.

Anyway, I agree with the OP, The potential for me to play this game went from 100 -> 0 when I seen the races. I really could care less about the gameplay at this point. It could be god's gift to MMO's but I will never find out, cause I refuse to look at stupid Galkas and Elvaans again a second time around. The first time was bad enough.

SE already said they the reason why they used the same character ideas is because its like an actor starting in different movies..  For example  like you say Johnny Depp in Willy Wonka and then JD in Edward Scissor Hands.   We know its JD playing both characters but yet the roles he play are two totally different people. Your Zilly Zonka logic fails because they are not using the same basic idea for the story just the characters look.  The world and Story is going to be totally Different than FFXI's.

As for that being lazy, I don't think so. If anything the devs for all those other games you listed are Lazy. They used the same races, didn't change the names, and used the same game world.  All SE did was use the same basic Idea for the character models.  Lalafell don't look exactly like the Taru, but thats what they are based off and whatever the new Galka's are named they are missing the tail.

That being said, sorry something so trivial like using the same character models turned you off so much. I being a long time FFXI player see this as something comforting. But if SE didn't use the same looking character models I still would play it.

Originally posted by cukimunga

VS

It is laziness.

BUT

SE already said they the reason why they used the same character ideas is because its like an actor starting in different movies..  For example  like you say Johnny Depp in Willy Wonka and then JD in Edward Scissor Hands.   We know its JD playing both characters but yet the roles he play are two totally different people. Your Zilly Zonka logic fails because they are not using the same basic idea for the story just the characters look.  The world and Story is going to be totally Different than FFXI's.

As for that being lazy, I don't think so. If anything the devs for all those other games you listed are Lazy. They used the same races, didn't change the names, and used the same game world.  All SE did was use the same basic Idea for the character models.  Lalafell don't look exactly like the Taru, but thats what they are based off and whatever the new Galka's are named they are missing the tail.

That being said, sorry something so trivial like using the same character models turned you off so much. I being a long time FFXI player see this as something comforting. But if SE didn't use the same looking character models I still would play it.

My logic does not "fail".

Johnny Depp Dressed as Willy Wonka and Johnny Depp dressed as Edward Scissor Hands. Both Johnny Depp got it.

BUT what SE is doing is this.

Johnny Depp dressed as Willy Wonka in Willy Wonka, and Johnny Deep dressed as Willy Wonka in Edward Scissor hands playing as Edward Scissor hands, which is the dumbest shit I have ever seen.

Taru in FFXI playing a Taru, Taru in FFXIV playing a Lalafell looking just like a Taru? Why is this so hard to understand. It is garbage....

Originally posted by cukimunga

VS

It is laziness.

BUT

My logic does not "fail".

Johnny Depp Dressed as Willy Wonka and Johnny Depp dressed as Edward Scissor Hands. Both Johnny Depp got it.

BUT what SE is doing is this.

Johnny Depp dressed as Willy Wonka in Willy Wonka, and Johnny Deep dressed as Willy Wonka in Edward Scissor hands playing as Edward Scissor hands, which is the dumbest shit I have ever seen.

Taru in FFXI playing a Taru, Taru in FFXIV playing a Lalafell looking just like a Taru? Why is this so hard to understand. It is garbage....

Taru aren't playing the Lalafel its the character models. I see the character models as being the actors and Taru and Lalafell's being the roles.  I believe this is what SE was thinking as well.    Just like Leonardo Decaprio playing in the Beach and Catch Me If You Can.  He basically looks the exact same in those movies but yet they are 2 totally different characters.

It is nothing more than SE making excuses and Fans making excuses for SE.

You hear this a lot. "Well all other games have humans and orcs and blah blah."

You are right, you do, but the orcs of world of warcraft do not look like the orcs of EQ2. They are very far from the same. Even the Orcs of Warhammer, have very distinctive differences from the Orcs of WoW.

That being said, if you look at the models of FFXI and the models of FFXIV, they really have NO distinctive differences aside from Galkas lost a tail. Whoopidy DOOOO! Who cares, they are otherwise identical.

If they had called this FFXI 2, I would not even be having this discussion, because in that instance, sure we should expect to see the exact same models in every aspect of the game. This is not the case this is a new world, with a new story, with new game mechanics, with the same used up pitiful characters models of the last game.

It is depressing, and it was LAZY on their part. With as much money and resources as SE has you can't tell me they couldn't dish out 5 male and female bad ass character models in a short amount of time. They could, they just didn't. Now we have to look at gorilla armed elvaans, fat green monkey men (though losing the tail was a very good move), and pudgy midgets with bowl cuts all over again.

Mithra was a good concept and I like that race a lot, and their humes always did look really nice, other than that they should have gone with new shit.

• maltosmaltos Member Posts: 94

You are right, you do, but the orcs of world of warcraft do not look like the orcs of EQ2. They are very far from the same. Even the Orcs of Warhammer, have very distinctive differences from the Orcs of WoW.

That being said, if you look at the models of FFXI and the models of FFXIV, they really have NO distinctive differences aside from Galkas lost a tail. Whoopidy DOOOO! Who cares, they are otherwise identical.

If they had called this FFXI 2, I would not even be having this discussion, because in that instance, sure we should expect to see the exact same models in every aspect of the game. This is not the case this is a new world, with a new story, with new game mechanics, with the same used up pitiful characters models of the last game.

It is depressing, and it was LAZY on their part. With as much money and resources as SE has you can't tell me they couldn't dish out 5 male and female bad ass character models in a short amount of time. They could, they just didn't. Now we have to look at gorilla armed elvaans, fat green monkey men (though losing the tail was a very good move), and pudgy midgets with bowl cuts all over again.

Mithra was a good concept and I like that class alot, and their humes always did look really nice, other than that they should have gone with new shit.

Apparently they also added 2 different tribes per race. So there are red and green galka, midland and lowland humes or something. One would assume they also have different strengths and weaknesses. It is slightly depressing they used the same models, but honestly its the same universe...is it really that big of a deal. I mean if we all had the same faces in the game...yeah it would suck, but you wear so much armor it doesn't matter. Would it make a huge difference if they chose another muscular large race that was furry instead of the galka. It is the EXACT same role only they are a different race which will be the same size and hidden under the same armor with the same benefits. Why not just let SE reuse them and put more work into designing the game instead of creating new skins for just a new look for the same race.

-Maltos-

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

Actualy I like all the races but the Elve type race also i wish there was another race that had both male and feemale classes it would be nice if XIV would suprize us and release a new race as part of a expansion.

Question in FFXIV are they making the game so everyone dosent look the same ?

You must not know a lot about the FF franchise then. They continue moving with the numbers, plus how stupid would "Final Fantasy 11 2" be? Or would it be "Final Fantasy 11-2"? Either way it would look stupid. I mean Cid appears in EVERY FF title, even if it is a different theme, and story. Just reusing some parts. Plus, due to the revamp in their engine the characters would have to be remodeled for up-rezing purposes.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by maltos

Mithra was a good concept and I like that class alot, and their humes always did look really nice, other than that they should have gone with new shit.

Apparently they also added 2 different tribes per race. So there are red and green galka, midland and lowland humes or something. One would assume they also have different strengths and weaknesses. It is slightly depressing they used the same models, but honestly its the same universe...is it really that big of a deal. I mean if we all had the same faces in the game...yeah it would suck, but you wear so much armor it doesn't matter. Would it make a huge difference if they chose another muscular large race that was furry instead of the galka. It is the EXACT same role only they are a different race which will be the same size and hidden under the same armor with the same benefits. Why not just let SE reuse them and put more work into designing the game instead of creating new skins for just a new look for the same race.

Well it isn't like we have a choice really, SE already made their choice.

My problem is all this time I have been waiting for something NEW. That is the keyword NEW.

I am not getting something NEW though, I am getting some rehashed refried beans of an MMO that might have very different game mechanics, but I wouldn't know because I have to look at the same shit I have been looking at for the last 6 or 7 years.

When you wait this long to bring out a successor to an MMO like FF, at least take the friggin time to make it NEW all the way around. Give us something fresh and exciting, don't just lob off the tail of a fat green or red guy and call it NEW.

This game is anything but NEW it is the same old shit with a different name. Sigh. WTF SE?

Originally posted by JenksFTW

You must not know a lot about the FF franchise then. They continue moving with the numbers, plus how stupid would "Final Fantasy 11 2" be? Or would it be "Final Fantasy 11-2"? Either way it would look stupid. I mean Cid appears in EVERY FF title, even if it is a different theme, and story. Just reusing some parts. Plus, due to the revamp in their engine the characters would have to be remodeled for up-rezing purposes.

Dude, just stop, I am the biggest FF nerd on this site I am sure.

They already did it once with FFX-2 so everything you just said went right out the fucking window.

That being said, I know they "said" every FF is "suppose" to be different. Looks like that makes them Liars. They already blew that when they made a X-2 game. Even if they hadn't made X-2, every game until this point has always been very unique and different, They keep key elements, like there is always a Cid, and a Chocobo in ever game. That's cool and fine.

My point is, they aren't making this game new. If you rehash an entire SET of races, and just change the names, you can call them new all you want, but everyone knows you are really just playing a taru or a galka or a hume. Same shit different day.

Ok if you were a real fan then you wouldn't even consider x-2 or XIII real FF games. Anything directed by Motomu Toriyama (who also named X-2 and was ridiculed for it by SE for it) has been bland. They cut out a lot of what made FF great in FXIII. Also MY point is a completely new way of looking at advancing a character, with a whole new rehash on the combat system makes the game fresh and new. Just because the races are the same with different names is insignificant at best. Most games have a human race, I just don't see how this is a problem for you.

• BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141

Well for me it just dont matter i have never played any FF game so it will be all new to me and i am really looking forward to this game.

But time will tell if they can keep me interested  as a long term player.

The slow combat does have me worried tho.

Ok if you were a real fan then you wouldn't even consider x-2 or XIII real FF games. Anything directed by Motomu Toriyama (who also named X-2 and was ridiculed for it by SE for it) has been bland. They cut out a lot of what made FF great in FXIII. Also MY point is a completely new way of looking at advancing a character, with a whole new rehash on the combat system makes the game fresh and new. Just because the races are the same with different names is insignificant at best. Most games have a human race, I just don't see how this is a problem for you.

#1. Any game developed and produced by Squaresoft or now Square Enix is a Final Fantasy Game. Regardless of who directed it or how good it was deemed by the fans. X-2 was shit, but it is still a game in the series.

#2. You fail to see how this is a problem? So if we took Guild Wars for instance, and Arenanet and NCSoft made a brand new game in a brand new universe, with completely different mechnics and gameplay, and they named the game Xinmeatloaf.

When you get to the character select screen of Xinmeatloaf what do you see?

1. Norn

2. Charr

3. Ebon Vanguard

4. Destroyer

5. Asuran

6. Dwarf

These races all have the EXACT same models as the characters in the game Guild Wars, that isn't going to be an issue with you?

Cause that is exactly what SE is doing in this game, makeing a new game, in a new world, with a completely different story. Completely revamping the game mechanics.

BUT

When you get to the character screen you will see.

1. Hume

2. Elvaan

3. Galka

4. Mithra

5. Taru Taru

Regardless if they have have new names, this is what you will see. This is what you will visualize while playing the supposed "new" game.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Dude, just stop, I am the biggest FF nerd on this site I am sure.

They already did it once with FFX-2 so everything you just said went right out the fucking window.

#1.  I doubt your the #1 FF fan on this site, there are a lot of people who would fight you for that title.

#2. if you are complaining about things being the same in FF games, thats strange, because normally people are arguing "Why aren't there classes I recognize in 14?"  Yet you are arguing that the game looks rehashed.

Ridiculous.

Red mage is a class that is in around 12 Final Fantasy games, yet you are saying the thing that makes them unoriginal is reusing races in a single game, when they rehash classes like Red mage in more than HALF of their games.

Seems like the entire argument is just ridiculous.

• trepotrepo Member Posts: 119

Wow.

It's not even in alpha stage yet and i see assumption everywhere that XiV will be a revamp of Xi. Of course they'll have similar elements like the Chocobos, races etc. But it's a sequel of Final Fantasy, what do you expect. They already said the combats will be completly different.

I don't see much difference between Starcraft and Starcraft 2 besides adapting it to 2010. Why ? Because people like the way it was in 1998 and still play the game. Same thing with FFXi. There isn't a single perfect game or MMO on the market and there's a reason. Not everyone will like the same type of gameplay, combats, crafting etc. Perhaps, we play what we like the most.

If you already think FFXiV is doomed and will be very bad because of pre-alpha footage and assumptions, you might actually miss a game you would like.

Originally posted by trepo

If you already think FFXiV is doomed and will be very bad because of pre-alpha footage and assumptions, you might actually miss a game you would like.

Actually they released in game footage not two days ago.

Its rather encouraging in my opinion.

Reading and Reading Comprehension must not be your strong suite.

Noone has said a thing in this entire discussion about class. We all know and expect to see, white mages, black mages and dragoons in a Final Fantasy game that is expected.

What is not expected is to see the exact damn characters models from a previous MMO in your brand new MMO. Unless said MMO is in the exact same world exact same universe carrying on the exact same story line. If that isn't the case, change the shit or you are just being lazy. Exactly what SE is being this time around.

Please refrain from personal attacks.

My post does indeed relate to yours.

You were saying you were upset because they reused the same races as Xi in XIV.  It seems to me that is just as silly as complaining about red mage's being in more than one game.

Re using one aspect of a game does not make it the same game, as many people have stated but yet you seem to refuse that premise off hand.  I'm sorry you disagree with me but you should find a nice way to say it.

Edit: You do know there will be no white mage or anything like that right?  They've already said they are using entirely new class names and classes will have new mixes of abilities.  Just sayin.

Originally posted by trepo

Wow.

It's not even in alpha stage yet and i see assumption everywhere that XiV will be a revamp of Xi. Of course they'll have similar elements like the Chocobos, races etc. But it's a sequel of Final Fantasy, what do you expect. They already said the combats will be completly different.

I don't see much difference between Starcraft and Starcraft 2 besides adapting it to 2010. Why ? Because people like the way it was in 1998 and still play the game. Same thing with FFXi. There isn't a single perfect game or MMO on the market and there's a reason. Not everyone will like the same type of gameplay, combats, crafting etc. Perhaps, we play what we like the most.

Is everyone on this site brain dead?

Starcraft and Starcraft 2 - ARE IN THE EXACT SAME UNIVERSE STORY AND LORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course they should be the same with the same damn races. Zerg, Protoss, and Terran. That is Starcraft.

If Starcraft 2 was coming out, and the lore changed and story changed and it was in an alternate universe that has nothing to do with Zerg, Protoss, or Terran.

When you buy Starcraft 2, and log in and you had 3 race choices, Berg, Grotoss, and Berran.

BUT

OMFGBBQFTW GASP! They look EXACTLY like the Zerg, Protoss, and Terran.... This wouldn't be an issue with anyone?

I am pretty sure the blizzard fans would be on here in droves screaming WTF Blizzard!

Sigh, guess noone gets it.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Actually they released in game footage not two days ago.

Its rather encouraging in my opinion.

I really like the new in-game footage. The atmosphere looks very interesting. This is still pre-alpha footage. They said Alpha stage will start very soon.

#1. Any game developed and produced by Squaresoft or now Square Enix is a Final Fantasy Game. Regardless of who directed it or how good it was deemed by the fans. X-2 was shit, but it is still a game in the series.

#2. You fail to see how this is a problem? So if we took Guild Wars for instance, and Arenanet and NCSoft made a brand new game in a brand new universe, with completely different mechnics and gameplay, and they named the game Xinmeatloaf.

When you get to the character select screen of Xinmeatloaf what do you see?

1. Norn

2. Charr

3. Ebon Vanguard

4. Destroyer

5. Asuran

6. Dwarf

These races all have the EXACT same models as the characters in the game Guild Wars, that isn't going to be an issue with you?

Cause that is exactly what SE is doing in this game, makeing a new game, in a new world, with a completely different story. Completely revamping the game mechanics.

BUT

When you get to the character screen you will see.

1. Hume

2. Elvaan

3. Galka

4. Mithra

5. Taru Taru

Regardless if they have have new names, this is what you will see. This is what you will visualize while playing the supposed "new" game.

Of course we will all visualize the new Characters by their old names. But I'll get over it an call them by their new names eventually lol. I just find it funny that the combat changes, job changes, and the fact that the game world is totally different, but yet its all overshadowed by the something like them using the same character models.  I really don't think it will feel exactly like playing FFXI, since there are a lot of changes but, you will get that at home feeling because of the character models being the same.

Going back to the actor thing do you get mad at movie companies for casting the same actors who star in different movies but look the same? Just because they look the same doesn't mean they will be. The lore in FFXIV will be different than XI's the character models may look the same but they are not because the lore changes that.

Listen I am just going to stop here, no use and going on and on about it.

I will just say this.

IMO SE totally F**cked up this game by being lazy and reusing character models from a previous much older game. It kills any sense of something NEW. This will be the very first FF game that I will refuse to purchse, from FF1 NES till now I have purchased them all. I will draw the line on this one though for the sheer cluster f**k of laziness from SE and murder of any sense of new for this title.

Is everyone on this site brain dead?

Starcraft and Starcraft 2 - ARE IN THE EXACT SAME UNIVERSE STORY AND LORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course they should be the same with the same damn races. Zerg, Protoss, and Terran. That is Starcraft.

If Starcraft 2 was coming out, and the lore changed and story changed and it was in an alternate universe that has nothing to do with Zerg, Protoss, or Terran.

When you buy Starcraft 2, and log in and you had 3 race choices, Berg, Grotoss, and Berran.

BUT

OMFGBBQFTW GASP! They look EXACTLY like the Zerg, Protoss, and Terran.... This wouldn't be an issue with anyone?

I am pretty sure the blizzard fans would be on here in droves screaming WTF Blizzard!

Sigh, guess noone gets it.

So, your rant is only about the same races with different names ? If you can't get over that, maybe it's time to find another game to build hype for.