Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Help in Deciding a MMO

Sanity888Sanity888 Member UncommonPosts: 185

Hi, I'm new here, but I'm not new to playing MMOs. I'm going to give you a little history of what I played in the past...

The first MMO I ever played was The Sims Online. This was an okay game, I mean, it was repetitive, but yet it had a lot of social features other games just don't have. The thing was, they were not improving The Sims Online like they should have, so I starting playing less after I found out having a lot of simeleons (spelling?) won't get players to play in your house. I decided to look for a new MMO...

I was searching Amazon.com one night and found a new game, not released yet, called Star Wars Galaxies. It sounded great. I got the game for my fourteenth birthday. Despite all the bugs, I loved it. I loved being an artisan named Loceedoma Nomerhino on the Bloodfin server, the un-official east coast PvP server. I completely mastered artisan just before vehicles came out. However, once I found out how hard it was going to be mastering weaponsmith when I grinded it, I decided to change directions. I decided to become a master smuggler/commando. And boy, was that great. Then the CU happened. Aarg. I quit SWG for the time being and tried a new MMO.

The third MMO I tried was City of Heroes/Villains. This was a pretty new MMO at the time, and at the time, only Heroes was out, but I loved it as well. I was a blaster (forgot which server), called The Melting Point. My primary was fire and my secondary was ice (hence my name). I probably played until I was around level 30 and quit because it was way too repetitive.

Even as CU destroyed a game I loved, I tried to get myself into SWG again. I was once again Loceedoma Nomerhino, but I decided to switch to master commando/bounty hunter after they reduce the amount of skill boxes required to master each profession. After I found out how they destroyed a game I loved, I completely quit, like five hours after the NGE went live. RIP Star Wars Galaxies.

I then played a little bit of City of Heroes/Villains, mostly playing The Melting Point. I got him up to 50 and decided to quit because I already reach the end game...

Onto my fourth MMO. World of Warcraft. Now, this MMO at this time was again revelately new, but I liked it as well. I know now that I really did pick my favorite MMO class of all time when I first played it: the rogue. I was a female night elf rogue named Layna on the Laughing Skull server, a mid-population PVP server. And boy, I was hooked. I just loved going stealth.  Being invisible in a constant PvP server was great, attacking all the Horde I could find on lands like Stranglethorn Vale was awesome. Just before I reached level 60 (the max back at those days), I decided to quit.

Now, I haven't played an MMO for awhile. I even got a new computer, a laptop, and I have a broadband connection now, which means my experience will be all the better. But now I'm not sure what I should play. The Sims Online was eventually canned, Star Wars Galaxies is a hallow shell of what it used to be, so I got three choices: CoH/V, WoW, or a new MMO. I really wanted to try out dominator more on CoV because I just think a control/assault combo would be extremely destructive, but World of Warcraft has two expansions, twenty new levels, and five more levels and an expansion on the way! And I'm much more excited for the new WoW expansion than I am for the CoH/V expansion. I really wanted to be Horde and try out a blood elf for once, but I'm not sure. I'm still waiting for SW:TOR to come out, but that's going to be about a year away and I want to play something now. And then there are all the other MMOs that came out already like Darkfall and Star Trek Online.

I'm just not sure what I want to do. I tried EVE Online and I did not like it at all. I didn't include it in the list of MMOs I played because I only did the trial. When it comes to content, I'd go with a more traditional WoW, but for creativity I'd go with a less traditional CoH/V.In MMOs, I love to explore. That's probably my number-one thing to do. My close second is probably fighting (both PvE and PvP, but I prefer PvP), and my third is crafting. When I was playing CoH/V they introduced the crafting and auction houses, but the items you could craft were in no way as good or effective as the things you could craft in WoW, so I think WoW has CoH/V beat there. But still ... CoH/V has a search charm about it I cannot explain. The ability to fly, for one, is great. 

But I think I've said enough. Now, should I resub to City of Heroes/Villains, get the woW expansions and resub to it, or should I play a new game altogether?

Any comments would be most apprehensated. 

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Ok. I voted other. You have a few you can try out, trials and all that, and settle on one you like, if any.

Lord of the Rings Online to fill that exploration passion.

Darkfall Online or Warhammer Online for the pvp aspect.

Vanguard for pve and exploration BUT the world is SO big and population small, it becomes a sad thing trying to continue in the game when you can't find groups to get through certain leveling walls. Still worth a try though.

Lastly, Everquest 2, you may find SOMETHING worthwhile here, although I myself feel it's missing something, but I do pop in from time to time as I enjoy its style and music and sheer amount of stuff to do. Just wish the combat "felt" better.

Those are my current favorites until FFXIV, SW:TOR, and Cataclysm come out. Have fun.

• GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

I would say try something else, a completely fresh experience is always fun.

A couple games you could do trials on:

Darkfall Online

Age of Conan

Everquest2

Lord of the Rings

On top of those, theres plenty of other MMOs out there! Take up some of the trials, see what seems the most fun and play it until you don't enjoy it any longer- move on to the next title :D

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I have been a MMO player for a very long time. Not saying that is any bonus to the games I recommend. But in my opinion you should try the following.

DDO(Dungeons and Dragons Online). It is by far the best F2P MMO on the market. Its free, if you want the full experience you just buy the expansions. By far if you are in to PVE this game is for you! Has it all.

Lord of the Rings. This game has a very expansive PVE enviroment. Lots of places to explore. Good game. I just prefer DDO over this. Same developer as DDO

For PVP I recommend only two games as well.

First is Warhammer Online: This game has by far some of the best EPIC PVP(RVR) battles of any game on the market. Good class variety. Good balance as well except if you subscribe and have to level from 33-40 Hell fighting level 40ies in Invader gear when you are 33.

Second choice which is expansive , huge , has good everything is EVE. Although not fantasy EVE has the BEST PVP of any game on the market. It is also a Sandbox Universe. Although this game may not be for you. If you are into elves, dwarves ect.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I agree with much of was said above me.

However, one aspect you may wish to review would be checking in and see if any of your friends from past games are still playing or what game they are currently at. Understand that a good crew can make even the most painful MMO experiences some of the best times you ever had online. MMOs are social in nature and while it is important to think of what a game offers you individually, I would give any game where you know people (however few) serious consideration over those where you are striking out alone.

See if you can dig up a few old guild emails or forum contacts.

Good Luck

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

Hi

My first game was Star Wars Galaxies and I loved it! Then came CU and NGE and as you said RIP SWG. Been playing WoW, AoC, WAR but closest to the feeling of SWG has been...

...Darkfall online. This game has hardish learning curve and many complain about the Grind (2-3 months before you get competive in PvP at least). Though as SWG vet you'll propably wont see this as a problem. The feeling of open world, thrill of danger almost everywhere, freedom to choose your playing style (melee / archery / magic / Crafter - mix these as you wish). Is just great. I'd really give it a shot. And do not let the full loot scare you. Gear is not issue in this game, you will have plenty of crappy gear to loose, sure you will rage for few minutes like the rest of us but you'll get over it :) Bank is your friend... Bank often!

And if you interested:

Darkfall - Accelerated Character Development Guide - P1

Darkfall - Accelerated Character Development Guide - P2

Darkfall - Accelerated Character Development Guide - P3

Darkfall - Accelerated Character Development Guide - P4

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I'm on the Age of Conan bandwagon again and they have done a great job fixing the game. Yesterday I had to wait for stuff to respwn because so many were running around doing the same quests. Good times are back!

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

You might try Age of Conan.

I say that because you liked WoW and it is fantasy based as well, but with much much better graphics.

Also you liked CoH and AoC has a lot of possibilities to tweak your class in one way or the other. Similar to CoH that has primary/secondary/and power pools, AoC has 2 subclass (for ex. Dark templar) specific power (skill, combo, ability) pools and one general class (ex. Soldier) pool. You can change the focus from damage to defense, CC etc.

Not as powerful as CoH, but like I said similar. AND They are adding more customization in the upcoming expansion.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529

Definetely Darkfall or AoC

Darkfall

• FFA PvP

• open world PvP

• open world PvE (damned good AI)

• Large world to explore (largest since Vanguard)

• World is hand crafted with no automatic terrain generators used.

• City building

• City sieiges

• Naval warfare

• Skill-based game

• No tab targeting

• full loot

• $1 trial

AoC

• FFA PvP

• open world PvP

• Instanced PvP

• Typical open world PvE

• Class based game

• instanced PvE dungeons

• city building (kinda)

• class based game

Personally WoW is one of my least favorite games I have ever played.  about as cookie cutter and mundane as possible.  PvP is horrendous on all levels.  Also the game is some of the worst grind and some of the worst imbalances I have seen in a game.

But then again my tastes follow the Darkfall route.  I love risk vs reward (full-loot) and games with an economy with real sinks and soruces.

• ButtermilchButtermilch Member Posts: 208

I can recommend Darkfall. Additionally to all things the guy above me mentioned, the world is fun to explore. It's beautiful and immersing. =)

• Sanity888Sanity888 Member UncommonPosts: 185

Thanks to everybody who responded. You gave me a lot of thinking to do. I'm still leaning towards World of Warcraft, but I might try something else.