Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five friends need a nice and mature mmorpg to play

SaphirixSaphirix Member Posts: 5

Heya!

Me and my four friends just finished scool and we got a couple of months doing what ever we want.

We all have played quite alot of games, lot of mmorpgs as Runescape, Guild wars, WoW, Aion, War (a few days) , some free mmorpgs and such.

The last one I played was Mortal Online and I think it is a great great game but my friends wasn't very impressed by the graphic (trees and earth) and the pvp didn't give a kick for them. We might try it out after a few moths when it have fither developed.

So my question is what good mmorpgs are out there that would be nice to play with good friends on ventrilo?

We are kinda looking for fantsy so no EvE or other laser games. I love sandbox but classic mmorpgs work also as long as there is not a huge gring (Aion and WAR had huge grinds and the usual 5h questing.)

So please suggest something, Not much grind, and PvP in focus (good pve is welcomed too, we liked to raid in WoW vanilla)

Cheers

Comments

• gkb3469gkb3469 Member UncommonPosts: 148

um, you could try darkfall for $1

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Whoops I missed the emphasis on pvp first time I read your post. It's not true pvp but lotro does have monster play which is you fighting player controled monters. I haven't tried that part personally but still you could try.....

If you're looking for fantasy you should give LOTRO a shot if you haven't yet, or in a while even. I bought a lifetime and 3 months in I gave up because I felt it was slow leveling. I went back to it about a year ago and found it a faster leveling experience and more fun to play in general and been playing pretty much ever since.

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by Saphirix

Heya!

Me and my four friends just finished scool

I know that this was probably just a simple typo...but I still found it really funny...

Have you looked at EQ2?  Don't play it myself anymore, but it seems to fit quite a few of the requirements you're looking for...except for the sandbox concept.

Good luck!

• SaphirixSaphirix Member Posts: 5

Hmm, ye I have never tried lotro or everquest but we are kinda looking for abit more different, a mmorpg with something special. Not the usually grind-quest and it takes weeks to get to end game.

And PvP could be cool too, and good free mmorpgs could be cool too

• DerekHarumiDerekHarumi Member UncommonPosts: 37

Woah, you finished school and you don't even know how to spell it right? Hehe, joking.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I would recommend DDO(Dungeons and Dragons Online) If you guys stick together this game would bring great things for you. Its also free unless you want more immersion. You can buy a monthly membership (VIP PASS) or just buy the expansions outright. I think you guys would enjoy this game very much.

I also recommend Lord of the Rings Online. It is immersive, a big world and has all the things you like with a fantasy mmo.

Alot of us old EQ, WOW players play DDO. Right now I think its the best mmorpg out on the market. Seriously.

• SaphirixSaphirix Member Posts: 5

Hmm interessting, I have never tried DDO. It's sounds like a game with lot of kids and imature community...

but I will try it out ty

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Could try out AoC.  A group of 5 on a pvp server could be fun.

Or even on a pve server.

Got back into aoc a few months ago and for me its the best MMO.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Hmm interessting, I have never tried DDO. It's sounds like a game with lot of kids and imature community...

but I will try it out ty

Actually, I think you'll find it to be quite the opposite. And its free to try so good luck and enjoy

edit: BTW, from where I sit, you'd be one of those "kids" that people try to avoid.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Yea DDO doesnt appear to have an immature community and the game as a whole is not really suited to that kind of persona

It is F2P so you might find a lot of players trying it out, but once you get past the starting island and into the game the community is better.

The only other 'Mature' game that comes to mind is Eve.  The average player age is 30 I beleive.  But with Eve being single server your exposed to a huge number of players constantly so it may appear that it has a large unlikable community, but again, once you progress and join a corp the players are sound, if a little crazy.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Only fantasy based pvp focused games i can think of are Darkfall and WAR. You can try Darkfall as suggested above for $1.

If those dont appeal then u could try the cut throat world of an AoC pvp server. You can level quite quick in AoC as well and it has a trial out.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

but we are kinda looking for abit more different, a mmorpg with something special. Not the usually grind-quest and it takes weeks to get to end game.

And PvP could be cool too, and good free mmorpgs could be cool too

I would invite you all to come try out FFXI, sure it is strictly PvE, but its damn good PvE, its not only difficult and party enforced so the 5 of you would always be good to go while playing together, but its also not a quest-grinder at all...heck you don't even get XP for 95% of the few quests there are.  Well there are hundreds if not thousands of quests but they're not like other MMOs, where you just run to and from a quest hub and kill 10 mobs or fed-ex and return.  They all have unique storylines many which of are accompanied with their own Cut-Scenes.

There is also a great deal of stretegy involved in all fights and there is way more to the aggro system than just proximity, like Sight, Sound, Smell, Low HP, casting Magic...etc  Click on my signature to be wisked away to our Linkshell forums and read up on us and there are tons of links to everything Final Fantasy XI there as well as the 14-day trial.

FFXI is also of the classic medieval style of fantasy, with an insanely mature community...

You want something different and unique than everything else, well this is as different as you're gonna find...everything else is the same ole copy & paste formula...

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

FFXI ?

Hmm..

I met someone who played that once, he said it t akes about a year and a half of constant grinding in one area to hit max level..

Kinda put me off.  But then anyone who does play it probably has the patience of a saint

• DDO has great dungeons - with puzzles, traps, etc.  Not just your normal MMO kill the boss type of thing.  Well worth a try.

With the amount of time you all have you could probably try a bunch of free trials of all the ones you havent' tried before.

The nice thing about some of the older games like LOTRO and EQII is that they have tons of content to explore.

If you're into PVP it's probably a good time to try Darkfall.

Also, not sure if ROM has PVP but the game is actually quite a bit of fun, so worth checking out.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by VultureSkull
    Only fantasy based pvp focused games i can think of are Darkfall and WAR. You can try Darkfall as suggested above for $1.
    If those dont appeal then u could try the cut throat world of an AoC pvp server. You can level quite quick in AoC as well and it has a trial out.

Yes, Age of Conan seems to have all that you requested. Had a pickup group that turned into a regular friend group from low levels to mid and it was brutally fun. There is focused PvP even on PvE servers.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by sadeyx

I met someone who played that once, he said it t akes about a year and a half of constant grinding in one area to hit max level..

Kinda put me off.  But then anyone who does play it probably has the patience of a saint

Maybe back in 2003/2004 , but after 8yrs of updates and additions it really doesn't take long, expecially after you're a well established char.  Most jobs with proper gear and funding are quick to lvl or even get into a Summoner Burn PTs you can go from lvl 5-30 in a few hrs.  And with level sync you can play with anyone regardless of their lvl.

With a good group of dedicated friends even new to the game you could easily get to lvl 60+ in a few weeks or less, maybe even 75 in under a month.  FFXI though is not about lvling as fast as possible though, cause there is just so much to do, there is always something to do other than lvl.