Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Old Republic is do or die for Bioware, a 150 mil game

167891012»

Comments

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Rider071

My main issue with the whole thing, is 'Bioware' isn't Bioware any longer.

It's EA Mythic merged with Bioware.

Remember Bioware had 2-3 years of development in the game before the merge.

I would go as far as to say Mythic was a 'decent' company before the merge too, thus my fear of what is coming.

Unless major changes happen, I remain uninterested in anything coming from EA mergers. EA makes SOE look incredibly good.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Emeraq

Let's say that 1 million worldwide buy the game, 49.99 so just under 50million for the box. And say only half that subscribe beyond the first month, and those stay subscribed for 12 months at 14.95 a month, that's what another 89 million?
    If this pans out, then they almost have their ROI in the first year... I don't think this game has much to worry about, it will likely be turning a profit around month 15-18, but definitely by month 24.... (But what do I know, honestly? :) )
    You're a coupel of things in your calculations - The publisher doesn't get anything like 100% of the box price; and the game is probably going to have a cash shop.

The publisher and the developer are one in the same here. The retail location will take about 10% of the $50, the rest is revenue for EA/Bioware.

But try again. I enjoy correcting you.

To date both Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 have already generated over a $150M in sales each, not counting DLCs.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

I would go as far as to say Mythic was a 'decent' company before the merge too, thus my fear of what is coming.

Unless major changes happen, I remain uninterested in anything coming from EA mergers. EA makes SOE look incredibly good.

There are a lot of ridiculous posts on this thread (yes, I wasted my time reading through all of them).

So much speculation and conjecture I couldn't find an actual discussion to comment on, so instead, I'll comment on the quote above.

I'm sure you look back at Mythic with fond memories of DAOC and expected WAR to be a spiritual successor to that game. I know I did.

I beta tested WAR from phase 1 and I can tell you before EA even got close to Mythic the game was horrible. The only reason it was even "ok" when it released was due to the influx of money from EA which allowed Mythic more time to make the minimal amount of changes from their original vision (which was very, very boring and not well thought out at all)  to what we had at release.

If they had not become "EA Mythic" the game would have released with 1/4 of the content it had after EA got involved, and horrible open world RvR. We didn't even have keeps at that time.

I can say with 100% certainty that the only thing EA did to WAR was allow it to have a longer development period, the game didn't change one bit from what Mythic intended it to be.

As far as SOE goes, I know they get a lot of flack for the Vanguard thing, as in, a lot of people wrongly accuse SOE of causing Vanguard to fail. The fact is if SOE had not acquired Vanguard the game would have shut down within the first year. The only reason Vanguard is still running today is because of SOE.

Also that game was already released before SOE got involved; after Sigil realized their game was failing and needed financial help.

Edited for intent.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Dameonk

I'm sure you look back at Mythic with fond memories of DAOC and expected WAR to be a spiritual successor to that game. I know I did.

I beta tested WAR from phase 1 and I can tell you before EA even got close to Mythic the game was horrible. The only reason it was even "ok" when it released was due to the influx of money from EA which allowed Mythic more time to make the minimal amount of changes from their original vision (which was very, very boring and not well thought out at all)  to what we had at release.

If they had not become "EA Mythic" the game would have released with 1/4 of the content it had after EA got involved, and horrible open world RvR. We didn't even have keeps at that time.

I can say with 100% certainty that the only thing EA did to WAR was allow it to have a longer development period, the game didn't change one bit from what Mythic intended it to be.

The original idea for WAR wasn't so bad, they decided to base the game on the tabletop instead of the RPG (stupid) but they did have a lot of ideas that at least wasn't bad. 

The 2 problems were that they couldn't implement most of the features and it seems like noone at Mythic ever played a Warhammer game.

But it is true that the failure with WAR wasn't EAs fault, it was Mark Jacobs and Paul Barnett who decided to screw the warhammer fans and make a game for the Wow players instead. They could have used twice the money and it wouldn't have helped, to sell any product you need to focus it on the possibly consumers, in this case the millions of Games workshop fans. To try to take players from Blizzard is really hard, they have very faithful fans.

EA do have messed up things at times and the way they are forcing many of their companies to just make the same boring sequels all the time instead of something new sux but I doubt they tell Bioware what to do, BW have sold millions of games by themselves. 

Originally posted by Dameonk

There are a lot of ridiculous posts on this thread (yes, I wasted my time reading through all of them).

So much speculation and conjecture I couldn't find an actual discussion to comment on, so instead, I'll comment on the quote above.

As far as SOE goes, I know they get a lot of flack for the Vanguard thing, as in, a lot of people wrongly accuse SOE of causing Vanguard to fail. The fact is if SOE had not acquired Vanguard the game would have shut down within the first year. The only reason Vanguard is still running today is because of SOE.

Also that game was already released before SOE got involved; after Sigil realized their game was failing and needed financial help.

Edited for intent.

As far as I can recall, WARHammer was developed well after the takeover/merger of Mythic, I was speaking only of DAoC in regards to Mythic. WARHammer is just  the gorilla in the room as far as abysmal examples of the MMO genre, it's marketing, hacks, and community. So much was wrong with that game and sacraficed for the almighty $ by EA, not to mention the continuing abuse they have inflicted on the DAoC community over the last decade.

In regards to SOE, I was speaking of EQ, EQ2, and SWG. SWG in particular, because of this thread. SOE made huge errors over the course of it's domination until Blizzard came to power, it was then they started to listen, though the damage was pretty much irreversible to SWG (Vanguard was not anything I considered, though the story of Brad/EQ vs SOE didn't help them).

Regardless, SOE has come light years ahead in customer service and support from when they started. EA doesn't show any signs of ever listening, nor spending resources on support/service.

Bioware has been in charge of both games for 6 months now? and though they are busy with TOR, they are in fact overseeing the entire branch, and little has changed. So I expect TOR to be more of the same.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Bioware has been in charge of both games for 6 months now? and though they are busy with TOR, they are in fact overseeing the entire branch, and little has changed. So I expect TOR to be more of the same.

'Bioware' is not in charge of both games, Ray Muzyka, co-found of Bioware, is now head of the mmo branch, which is a group that contains both Mythic and Bioware

The studios for BioWare remained unchanged and did not merge with Mythic, Marc Jacobs was replaced by Rob Denton who reports to Muzyka.

If you truly believed WAR or DAoC to change dramatically because of this change in leadership and formation of a new group, I think you only have yourself to thank for being disappointed. BioWare didn't start working on WAR or DAoC, it's still another team (confronted with lay-offs).

Your expecting 'TOR to be more of the same' is thus also baseless and even flat out stupid, BioWare's leaders didn't even have anything to do with Mythic whatsoever when WAR fucked up.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

Bioware mmo?   first day buy!

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

'Bioware' is not in charge of both games, Ray Muzyka, co-found of Bioware, is now head of the mmo branch, which is a group that contains both Mythic and Bioware

The studios for BioWare remained unchanged and did not merge with Mythic, Marc Jacobs was replaced by Rob Denton who reports to Muzyka.

If you truly believed WAR or DAoC to change dramatically because of this change in leadership and formation of a new group, I think you only have yourself to thank for being disappointed. BioWare didn't start working on WAR or DAoC, it's still another team (confronted with lay-offs).

Your expecting 'TOR to be more of the same' is thus also baseless and even flat out stupid, BioWare's leaders didn't even have anything to do with Mythic whatsoever when WAR fucked up.

Selective reading ftl. 

My issue is with the customer service and support of the game, if you cared to read the posts.  Since Bioware took over, CS and Support has remained unchanged. If I was take charge of the entire MMO branch on conditions of a merger, first order of business would be looking into my Support and CS staff in particular since sales obviously plummeted. Why didn't the CS/Support communicate the reasons people were leaving?  What was the disconnect/problem? The CS Staff supporting EA MMOs don't even play MMO games (they primarilly service 'Pogo' users). Call them up and ask 'em, their number is on the site. So to say it's 'baseless' is far from the truth. It will be the same CS staff and support players receive from EA currently.

By all means though, continue to buy MMO releases with all the hype, knowing full well the company backing it has an abysmal record of support. Better yet, buy 2 copies, please reward them for doing it over and over and over again, and encourage other companies to do the same....oh wait, we have been doing that for the last 6 years, haven't we?

Though I would play it if it goes F2P. If they want to say from the get go, 'we want to earn your $', I'm in. Otherwise, same tired old EA, 'We have your money, go to hell..but first take a look at this shiny new game we are working on. Pre-order for $119.99!'

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Well, i didnt exactly mean the indie companys dont want ANY profit. But they dont dumb down their games and make it for the masses to gain HUGE profits. Most of them are happy just getting by and paying the bills, but ofc they want money aswell.. But think about all the goodness indie companys could make if they had this kind of funding to their games..

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Proson

Well, i didnt exactly mean the indie companys dont want ANY profit. But they dont dumb down their games and make it for the masses to gain HUGE profits. Most of them are happy just getting by and paying the bills, but ofc they want money aswell.. But think about all the goodness indie companys could make if they had this kind of funding to their games..

They'd do it the same. The more money of other peoples you risk the more conservative you have to be. Usually big companies got big becuase they were successfull which means catering to the masses. As for dumbing down yeah they do it. Some of them do it a lot.

Actually ,if you look down the entire list of successful games,they were not catering to anyone.The conservative approach is also hit and miss,Wow was very conservative they took what they knew in artwork from an established game ,they took what they knew in design concept from EQ,so they were VERY conservative.Then you look at FFXi totally against the grind,instead of soloing and quest design ,they went for the opposite and their gaming division is much bigger and productive than Blizzards.

John Carmack made it big by creating Quake/Doom this was a new type of gaming,UT/Epic games made it big with their version on First person shooter and marketing their game engine.

SOE made it big because EQ was sort of the first semi 3D MMORPG,they really were not copying anyone ,other than a few basic MUD ideas.

SIMS,totally differrent concept and i believe is the biggst selling franchise game topping only the FF series?

CCP is being successful with their own brand of game,not copying anyone else,alhough i wouldn't really call CCP big :D.

Spore was another new concept again not copying or catering to the masses.

SOE again is successful with Free Realms but only becasue the timing was right,they had literally no competition for that demographic but a handful of games like Runescape/Wiz 101,but Runescape is full of adults and not a safe game for kids.

Infinity Ward is the MOST successful,hard to really categorize that game however as war games have been around forever,the difference is bascially the graphic quality,tops all other WAR/mmo's.This game will be topped easily as soemone will utilize more physics and top the graphics with a 1080 version.

Microsoft came close to joining the list of successful,they had a 60% done deal on a HALO MMORPG,so the ywoudl have been the first to really make a FPS MMORPG becasue tha twas suppose to be released about th time they canned Ensemble studios.

So you can see a long list of creative and bold developers out there.Guaranteed will see more creative ideas come along that wil lalso be successful.There is a REAL hidden rumour that Blizzard perhaps is working  with their partner Activision/Infinity Ward on a MMORPG based off of COD.They even have a couple former EQ employees working on some MMORPG project ,so that might hold some water,albeit like i said Miacrosoft would have been the first to d oa MMORPG FPS.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Proson

They'd do it the same. The more money of other peoples you risk the more conservative you have to be. Usually big companies got big becuase they were successfull which means catering to the masses. As for dumbing down yeah they do it. Some of them do it a lot.

Actually ,if you look down the entire list of successful games,they were not catering to anyone.The conservative approach is also hit and miss,Wow was very conservative they took what they knew in artwork from an established game ,they took what they knew in design concept from EQ,so they were VERY conservative.Then you look at FFXi totally against the grind,instead of soloing and quest design ,they went for the opposite and their gaming division is much bigger and productive than Blizzards.
    John Carmack made it big by creating Quake/Doom this was a new type of gaming,UT/Epic games made it big with their version on First person shooter and marketing their game engine.
    SOE made it big because EQ was sort of the first semi 3D MMORPG,they really were not copying anyone ,other than a few basic MUD ideas.
    SIMS,totally differrent concept and i believe is the biggst selling franchise game topping only the FF series?
    CCP is being successful with their own brand of game,not copying anyone else,alhough i wouldn't really call CCP big :D.
    Spore was another new concept again not copying or catering to the masses.
    SOE again is successful with Free Realms but only becasue the timing was right,they had literally no competition for that demographic but a handful of games like Runescape/Wiz 101,but Runescape is full of adults and not a safe game for kids.
    Infinity Ward is the MOST successful,hard to really categorize that game however as war games have been around forever,the difference is bascially the graphic quality,tops all other WAR/mmo's.This game will be topped easily as soemone will utilize more physics and top the graphics with a 1080 version.
    Microsoft came close to joining the list of successful,they had a 60% done deal on a HALO MMORPG,so the ywoudl have been the first to really make a FPS MMORPG becasue tha twas suppose to be released about th time they canned Ensemble studios.
    So you can see a long list of creative and bold developers out there.Guaranteed will see more creative ideas come along that wil lalso be successful.There is a REAL hidden rumour that Blizzard perhaps is working  with their partner Activision/Infinity Ward on a MMORPG based off of COD.They even have a couple former EQ employees working on some MMORPG project ,so that might hold some water,albeit like i said Miacrosoft would have been the first to d oa MMORPG FPS.

Was Planetside not a MMO FPS ? It sure felt like one to me. I could miss or make headshots.

Spore? Not an MMO. Yes there was a community but you never played along side other players, you only downloaded their creations.

Inide companies can make money, but changing the scene too much makes people uncomfortable. Ever been around some one that hardly knows anything about a computer? They won't do anything unless you tell them exactly what to do. They are nervous they will mess something up or do the wrong thing. Even some one that has had a computer for years is still nervous when you ask them to go in the file system.
    That's basically why I only play games I've researched enough to feel as if I've played it without even playing it. That's why I won't play DarkFall or Mortal Online as from what I've seen and read it just wouldn't be my cup of tea. TOR on the other hand, we don't know much about, but for me being a Star Wars fan and starting my MMO days from SWG, and seeing the gameplay videos I have no doubt I will be trying TOR on launch day.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Nothing going to happen to Bioware, EA is the one that would be hit with the loss. Even if they fail, activision would buy out bioware devs.

Yes, but who wants developers that just made a 150 million dollar piece of crap? You wouldn't think publishers are chasing the guys that made Tabula Rasa to give them another 100 million to make another game.

.... you do realize you are talking about bioware, right? nwn, kotor, dragonage... hello?

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci