Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Old Republic is do or die for Bioware, a 150 mil game

Comments

• KorovaMBKorovaMB Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by Caskio

Originally posted by Xavier_78

Originally posted by Caskio

Originally posted by Proson

Man, they are using this amount of money makeing SWTOR??  The game dosent even look any good  IMO :(

Give that money to Star Vault or aventurine or some other small company that is actually making games for gamers and not just wanting to make a profit.., im sure they could make one hell of a game with all that money...

SWTOR is most likley gonna be a dumb downed MMO for the masses, so it will be easymode and all that im sure :(

Just because a developer is styling a game towards a certain play-style doesn't mean they are not in it for the money.  I've never heard of a gaming company that had a non-profit lookout that didn't make games for 3 year olds.

In the wonderfull land of naive people with a grain of elitism it is the case, companies such as SoE, Blizzard and the likes are making game only to make money with no regard to customers desire. On the other hand, indi companies make game for gamers out of pure generosity and philanthropy.

Also, Starwars is known for its hardcoreness, it is not aimed at a 7 / 77 years old demography :)

Let's use one of most lucrative brand to make a niche game !

Your going to have to provide examples as the companies listed in the quote are still interested in profits, they are not declared non-profit organizations.  Some one has to invest money and an investment with zero return is not much of an investment.  I don't feel video games better the human race either, they are just fun entertainment.

Star Wars hardcoreness?  Not a word and the only thing hardcore about Star Wars are the super fans. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars and SWG was my first MMORPG ever and played it for 3.5 years.  

Not to mention that if Star Wars was truly hardcore, we wouldn't have had to stomach Jar Jar Binks.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by KorovaMB

Not to mention that if Star Wars was truly hardcore, we wouldn't have had to stomach Jar Jar Binks.

So many noble Jedi dead at the end of RotS, yet Jar Jar lives. The horror. The HORROR!

To be honest, RotJ killed any seriousness to Star Wars for me. Partying Ewoks celebrating winning the BIG GAME at the end just killed it for me.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

What does this mean for the future of MMORPGs? The article says they need over 1 million players to break even.

Heh... reminds me of Avatar... Hit or miss, but if it's a hit it'll revolutionize the way things are done =P Of course, that's only if they actually make it revolutionary, and with the dated graphics system and the spiffy, though not really new, dialogue and combat systems, you're relying a whole lot on content =/  Ah wells, just means I won't have to upgrade my system o.O

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Im trying to think of all teh games bioware has made and has actually failed.....

I ll get back to you..

It wasn't a complete failure, but Jade Empire fell short.

• GoolzGoolz Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Mazin

Im trying to think of all teh games bioware has made and has actually failed.....

I ll get back to you..

No it didn't.

• HochmeisterHochmeister Member Posts: 70

I think Bioware will neither Do it or Die because SWTOR is good game but it isn't greatest game. I love this game but i'am not going to buy it for certain reasons. it is one of those games i like to see how it is geting on. not for any reasons to do with gameplay but just the story. it is star wars and iam just sick of star wars games. it is mostly thisame lightsabers and blasters. i'am also sick of fantasy games if they have nothing new to bring to fantasy other than a few elves, dwarves, a bit of troll here and a bit of ogre there. i'am just more intrested in the PBGs right now like APB and ER. Gw2 is on my list because i like played and liked GW1 and GW 2 looks awesome. SWTOR is a game i might give a go and see how it ends up but it is no real deal for me.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Rydeson

SWG tanked because of poor beta testers, PvP exploiters and a total lack of control and vision by the Devs.. I know most will say something about the bugs, but the major bugs were there because the beta testers didn't do THEIR job.  When you beta test your job is to not just play the game but actually TRY and brake it..  I joined a guild that was run by 2 beta testers and they admitted that 70% of those testing were only there to play early and never truly tested the mechanics of the game..

Like I said with the devs.. NO VISION..  Did the devs NOT see the exploiters coming?  I mean.. really..  Using Med. houses as walls, then putting the space port deep inside the player city sounded by covert scanners, and making everyone that lived in the city part of the militia... PLEASE.. It was stupid BS like this that drove people away and lead to the NGE..  So consider that players..  Many of you SWG vets were an equal cause to the problem and why NGE happen..   The grieving in the game was terrible.. This wasn't just the devs fault but the players as well..

It wouldn't shock me that 70% of the SWG vets that were crying about NGE are the very exploiters that grieved and abused the game play that lead to NGE..  This is like a man that travels 160mpg on his Harley and crashed and blaims Harely (why did you have to build a bike that goes that fast).. ummm why did you feel the need to find out?    Fault goes both ways :)

Wow.  This is perhaps the most ludicrous post ever.  If only 70% of the testers were there for playing, that still left a large number of people just for testing.  I was in WoW beta and most testers were just "playing".  That didn't doom WoW to failure.

Bottom line I see is that you didn't like the SWG community and blame them for the game's failure.  The game failed more because of:

a. It was very bug ridden at launch.  Many members of the community left in the first two months.  Game still had decent numbers at that point, but it was already declining.

b.  Unresolved bugs.  It overall took too long to get know (and communicated) bugs fixed.  People lost patience.

c. Exploits (fancy name for bugs).  Anyone remember the "Poison Wars"?  It was hard to call that "fun", although I'm sure there were some CM's out there that were enjoying it.

d. Poor balance.  It could be frustrating to SW fans that melee so dominated ranged.  Add to that some unusual loot drops with ridiculous mind bleeds on them, and people were getting more frustrated (unless you had one :) )

e. Launch of WoW.  When WoW lauched, guilds were gutted.  Many whole guilds left the game.  The disruption to the community was incredibly significant.  Those that stayed did a great job pulling things back together to keep the game fun, but the size of the community never recovered.

I'm sure there are many other reasons, and my thoughts are just an opinion, and a very debatable one at that.  Still, I think these things had a much larger impact than "testers sucked", and "players sucked".

For TOR, I will play it.  While I will miss some key things in it that SWG actually did get right (yes, I like sandboxes), I don't see anything better on the horizon, especially with me being a SW fan.

Glad to see that not all fans have rose colored glasses on when remembering SWG.Even this site gave it a poor review. It was the first MMO I ever played and I only got it because of the fact that I was Star Wars fan. The number of imersion killing things in  the game were numerous: melee dominating range, TKMs beating up stormtroopers, jedi everywhere etc.etc.  But it did have some features that I liked and wish other MMOs would use eg: player housing, crafting, gathering 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

So many noble Jedi dead at the end of RotS, yet Jar Jar lives. The horror. The HORROR!

To be honest, RotJ killed any seriousness to Star Wars for me. Partying Ewoks celebrating winning the BIG GAME at the end just killed it for me.

Personally i blame jar jar for the clone wars.  I mean honestly, whos bright idea was it let him anywhere near the senate. ><

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Personally i blame jar jar for the clone wars.  I mean honestly, whos bright idea was it let him anywhere near the senate. ><

Padme's. She was also the brilliant one that moved for Chancellor Valorum to be removed and this allowed Sidious to gain power.

• rebelhero1rebelhero1 Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Nothing going to happen to Bioware, EA is the one that would be hit with the loss. Even if they fail, activision would buy out bioware devs.

Yes, but who wants developers that just made a 150 million dollar piece of crap? You wouldn't think publishers are chasing the guys that made Tabula Rasa to give them another 100 million to make another game.

Even were that the case, you mustn't forget that Bioware has/had many other projects (none of which have been failures, in fact most are instant classics whether you love or hate them) that are a significant source of revenue.

Publishers would jump at them like a starving cat at fish if they had the opportunity. They just wouldn't let them make a MMO ;)

Playing: *sigh* back to WoW :(
    --------
    Waiting for: SW:TOR, APB, WoD
    ---------
    Played and loved: Eve and WoW
    --------
    Played and hated: WoW:WotLK, Warhammer, every single F2P

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by Goolz

Originally posted by Mazin

I ll get back to you..

No it didn't.

Wth is this, Jade Empire is awesome, better than KotOR 1 and 2, Dragon Age and Mass Effect 1 in my opinion. Of their recent games, only Mass Effect 2 was better I think.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Let's say that 1 million worldwide buy the game, 49.99 so just under 50million for the box. And say only half that subscribe beyond the first month, and those stay subscribed for 12 months at 14.95 a month, that's what another 89 million?

If this pans out, then they almost have their ROI in the first year... I don't think this game has much to worry about, it will likely be turning a profit around month 15-18, but definitely by month 24.... (But what do I know, honestly? :) )

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I played all Bioware games and pretty confident that SW: ToR will be the biggest MMO hit since WoW.  I also pretty sure they would climb much higher then 1m subscribers.

Id much prefer this game to be in Mass Effect setting, but as long as its sci-fi, it ok.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Man, they are using this amount of money makeing SWTOR??  The game dosent even look any good  IMO :(

Give that money to Star Vault 

Star Vault will disappear from Earth surface before summer.  Now worth giving them even a cent.

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Star Vault will disappear from Earth surface before summer.  Now worth giving them even a cent.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when he mentioned Darkfall. If more people were playng Darkfall they wouldn't need an extra infusion of cash. It's a niche game and that's all it ever will be, so darkfall fans need to learn to live with that.  And MO isn't even out yet so I don't know how you can claim one un-released game is better than another un-released game. Oh that's right, you can tell by the graphics. And here I thought gameplay meant more. Someone needs to tell Blizzard that World of Warcraft is a failure because its graphics aren't as  top notch as Age of Conan. I'm sure they'll enjoy the laugh.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by ktanner3

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when he mentioned Darkfall. If more people were playng Darkfall they wouldn't need an extra infusion of cash. It's a niche game and that's all it ever will be, so darkfall fans need to learn to live with that.  And MO isn't even out yet so I don't know how you can claim one un-released game is better than another un-released game. Oh that's right, you can tell by the graphics. And here I thought gameplay meant more. Someone needs to tell Blizzard that World of Warcraft is a failure because its graphics aren't as  top notch as Age of Conan. I'm sure they'll enjoy the laugh.

Star Vault is making Mortal Online, not Darkfall (that's Adventurine or something).

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Emeraq

Let's say that 1 million worldwide buy the game, 49.99 so just under 50million for the box. And say only half that subscribe beyond the first month, and those stay subscribed for 12 months at 14.95 a month, that's what another 89 million?

If this pans out, then they almost have their ROI in the first year... I don't think this game has much to worry about, it will likely be turning a profit around month 15-18, but definitely by month 24.... (But what do I know, honestly? :) )

You're a coupel of things in your calculations - The publisher doesn't get anything like 100% of the box price; and the game is probably going to have a cash shop.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

You're a coupel of things in your calculations - The publisher doesn't get anything like 100% of the box price; and the game is probably going to have a cash shop.

Plus overhead for running servers. They don't get to keep 100% of the 14.95 a month either. Prices have come down, but running a first class server farm is not cheap, plus the devs to keep it all running and fix crashes, bugs, etc. 

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Originally posted by ktanner3

Star Vault is making Mortal Online, not Darkfall (that's Adventurine or something).

Yes I know.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

My main issue with the whole thing, is 'Bioware' isn't Bioware any longer.

It's EA Mythic merged with Bioware.

That team + EA customer support = fail. I can't tell you how many chances I have given their titles, only to leave dejected from years of play solely because of their customer support and design decisions.

No thanks, I would never recommend anything from EA. If you want a prime example of what went wrong with the MMO genre look no further.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Plus overhead for running servers. They don't get to keep 100% of the 14.95 a month either. Prices have come down, but running a first class server farm is not cheap, plus the devs to keep it all running and fix crashes, bugs, etc. 

Actaully it is cheap. MMOs have one of the highest profit margins around. PW had a 50+% profit margin. Most companies are lucky to get 20% profit margins.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by Teala

I just wishto see the MMO part of this game in action.    Also, I really wish they would polish the animations and the character models look stiff.   Plus, how is the game for customization?  Is one bounty hunter going to look like the next?  What about that stupid green box figure that shows a player where cover is for certain classes - can that be turned off...talk about immesion breaking.    ::rolls her eyes::

Will there be space flight ala SWG?

Why is Bioware so hush-hush on the MMO aspect?   Are they afraid to tell us it is more like a Guild Wars game with a central hub and everything else is instanced?

This is my same fear.

What Ive seen of the combat (and I havent paid attention to this game in the last few months), looks to be instanced.

But I do have hopes, looks like they havent set a release date, which means they still may be expanding player choice.

I sure has hell dont, and wont play a game that is all quest based instances, or for that matter all quest based.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Hokie

Originally posted by Teala

I just wishto see the MMO part of this game in action.    Also, I really wish they would polish the animations and the character models look stiff.   Plus, how is the game for customization?  Is one bounty hunter going to look like the next?  What about that stupid green box figure that shows a player where cover is for certain classes - can that be turned off...talk about immesion breaking.    ::rolls her eyes::

Will there be space flight ala SWG?

Why is Bioware so hush-hush on the MMO aspect?   Are they afraid to tell us it is more like a Guild Wars game with a central hub and everything else is instanced?

This is my same fear.

What Ive seen of the combat (and I havent paid attention to this game in the last few months), looks to be instanced.

But I do have hopes, looks like they havent set a release date, which means they still may be expanding player choice. I sure has hell dont, and wont play a game that is all quest based instances, or for that matter all quest based.

It will be quest-based, though only your personal quests and important personal storyline events will be instanced (plus the usual dungeons and such, I imagine, though no word on end-game raiding). So you better skiddadle, 'cause this ain't what you lookin' for.

Can't it just suffice to say that, right now, it'll be like WoW gameplay-wise? Few instances, mostly open world, fluent combat (the game is not even in beta yet, so don't complain about animations), good vs. evil, etc. Hopefully BioWare will bring fresh ideas to the game when it comes to crafting, exploration, social aspects/community interaction (including economy), and endgame; prime places to incorporate some sandbox elements, because TOR is trying to be a mix of themepark and sandbox.

• AlivadaAlivada Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by Rider071

My main issue with the whole thing, is 'Bioware' isn't Bioware any longer.

It's EA Mythic merged with Bioware.

Remember Bioware had 2-3 years of development in the game before the merge.

• Cody1174Cody1174 Member Posts: 271

There is no doubt in my mind they will sell over 1mill copies...

Will they keep 1mill for more then 3 months?  Good chance.

Will it hit 10mill?  doubtful anygame will ever do that again.