Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So the Fabled 45 day patch is here is it?

Comments

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by Betaboo

Originally posted by DragonShark

Quick fact. CBS didn't own or have anything to do with Star Trek in 1969. They've only had it for a few years now. And the first thing they did with it was turn it into a cash cow popcorn movie. It's going to be SWG all over again if SWTOR comes even halfway to its one million subscriber projections (which is a topic for another thread, obviously.) I really don't see CBS just sitting on its haunches as what has turned into a massive IP for them just languishes with a sub-mediocre player base.

That is an interesting statement. I wonder what the threshold would be for them to step in and say enough is enough. While i do not think it is going to happen it does pose an interesting question.

The smartest thing CBS could do for the game itself and some positive PR for a change, would be to announce that they want nothing more to do with Cryptic. Apply pressure to replace those grifting scumbags Emmert and "Flagship" Roper.

Cryptic is a disgrace, they are the worst company in the business today. Cut them loose CBS / Atari, they have failed utterly, and should pay a price.

Who am I kidding slippery eels like Roper and Cryptic never get what they deserve.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I think there is a very good reason (to Cryptic anyway) that the devs for STO are pandering to the lifetime subscribers crowd. Unfortunately it's the exact same reason that drives most of what Cryptic does: greed.

They must have discovered that lifetime subscribers are far, far more likely to buy crap from the C-Store than those who pay monthly for the game, so now they want the lifetime suckers to feel all warm and loved by Cryptic so they can keep selling trash to them through the C-Store for years to come.

Originally posted by Xondar123

I think there is a very good reason (to Cryptic anyway) that the devs for STO are pandering to the lifetime subscribers crowd. Unfortunately it's the exact same reason that drives most of what Cryptic does: greed.

They must have discovered that lifetime subscribers are far, far more likely to buy crap from the C-Store than those who pay monthly for the game, so now they want the lifetime suckers to feel all warm and loved by Cryptic so they can keep selling trash to them through the C-Store for years to come.

It's so obvious that they have carefully calculated maximum profit (blood from an unfinished stone) of lost subs due to terrible game + lost subs due to anger from LTS pandering - profit from LTS new subs. Calculating in that the LTS suckers are also the kind who will spend in the cheesy C-Store as well. Not too mention the gold mine the next expansion will raise. The LT will complain about having to pay for it (plus C-store fluff it supports), but they will get more special treatment with as well probably.

They'll take it and they'll like it. They will believe any spin if it means they didnt waste $300 + CStore...+expansion...+more CStore crap...

That's Cryptic, they are in it for the cash, no emotion, no quality, no ethics. Make maximum profit from a sub par product. It's been calculated, all that's left now is the propaganda campaign by the devs and fanboys on the forums to keep changing goal posts, keep parsing language so as to allow the meaning be easily changed in the future to fit the next spin.

It's cold, calculated profiteering by a company devoid of ethics, quality assurance....and apparently immune to accountability.

The only way to stop companies from peeing into the MMO pool every year with rip offs like STO is to stop giving them one red cent. Change will not happen until the market demands it.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

lol  Die.. agreed..

Isn't it amazing how MMO gaming companies are immune to normal business practices?  Think about it.. If the CEO of General Motors went public and said the reason for GM's decline is because of imports, and Americans not buying GM "just don't get it",  and pushing cars off the line 1/2 baked at full price..  How long would he keep his job? 

Atari needs a bailout.. LOL  GM had to sacrifice their CEO, and I think it's about time that Emmert gets his walking papers, along with a few other heads of state.. lol  STO's appearant failure is not because the peons didnt' do their jobs, it was because the execs didn't do theirs.. FIRE every singe one of them..  If your name and face is on the webpage as a big cheese.. "you are the weakest link, GOODBYE".. :)

Originally posted by Rydeson

lol  Die.. agreed..

Isn't it amazing how MMO gaming companies are immune to normal business practices?  Think about it.. If the CEO of General Motors went public and said the reason for GM's decline is because of imports, and Americans not buying GM "just don't get it",  and pushing cars off the line 1/2 baked at full price..  How long would he keep his job? 

Atari needs a bailout.. LOL  GM had to sacrifice their CEO, and I think it's about time that Emmert gets his walking papers, along with a few other heads of state.. lol  STO's appearant failure is not because the peons didnt' do their jobs, it was because the execs didn't do theirs.. FIRE every singe one of them..  If your name and face is on the webpage as a big cheese.. "you are the weakest link, GOODBYE".. :)

There needs to be accountability. They jumped in with both feet, landed a massive IP with legions of fans, many being gamers as well. It was to be a gold mine.

What did Cryptic do with those expectations? Take them for granted.

Slap a ST skin on the CO engine, miss spell a bunch of repetative text box excuses for genocide (It's still ST, honest...it's um..the war..yeah, that's the ticket!).

Crap that out onto the market half baked (though the hard work had been done with CO) with virtually no QA, questionable (at best!) marketing failiers, purposefully designating one member of the community better than another, and yet again their second game with abysmal support.

How in the heck, really!...can anyone reward Cryptic for this absolute watered down pandering lowest common denominator swill that STO is? It was supposed to be a ST game for cripes sake!

What a failier. Nobody at Cryptic should still have their job if their fingerprints are anywhere near this train wreck.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

anyone know what a ballpark monthly figure for running an mmo with 100k subs is? Just curious since if they sold 10k LTS's that's only about $3 million if coffers are running low at cryptic, no wonder they're trying to push the LTS with these new perks. Something I think you'll see happen repeatedly as funds run low. 

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by bstiff

anyone know what a ballpark monthly figure for running an mmo with 100k subs is? Just curious since if they sold 10k LTS's that's only about $3 million if coffers are running low at cryptic, no wonder they're trying to push the LTS with these new perks. Something I think you'll see happen repeatedly as funds run low. 

The actually monthly cost is unkonown to anyone outside of the companies, but once of the columnists on here said awhile back that one of her sources told her that only about 1/3 of that monthly $15.00 susbcription price paid for everything; that's salaries, maintenance/new equipment/equipment upgrades, etc. Assuming that source wasn't working for WoW, it appears that the general assumption that companies need not only the monthly subscription, but other income as well, is wrong. Games that have higher populations (WoW, Eve, LotRO) would probably have to use a little less than 1/3 of the subscription price to pay all of their bills, while companies that have smaller populations may need to use perhaps up to half of that monthly subscription price.

*Note* I am guessing the person who quoted her that figure did not work for WoW on the basis of her article: Her article was about cash shops, and the point she was making was that items in cash shops for games with mon thly subscriptions as well were pretty much pure profit for the company. You wouldn't really be able to make that argument with WoW, since it has such a giant player base in comparison to other games.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Jack "I lie because you idiots believe me" Emmert says 100k subs.

Next week, Cryptic will claim 75K was what they were shooting for.

Then Jack "Shut up b*tchs, I know what's good for you" Emmert will say 50k was our intended goal.

.....Then Cryptic says "....Jack has decided to go his own way, and we wish him all the best in his new career..."

• MaverickrollMaverickroll Member UncommonPosts: 123

There was plenty of content added to this patch

- New 5 man raid, The Cure
    - 5 man raid Infected was tweaked a good bit and made playable
    - Klingons get a big boost in PvE content. They can take some Fleet Actions now, do some exploration missions, more ships available and customization.
    - PvP got new content, a new arena which is huge. Oh and Fed vs Fed pvp, which a lot of us have been waiting for.

and on and on and one. check out the patch notes and see all that they have added

Originally posted by Crichton

There was plenty of content added to this patch

- New 5 man raid, The Cure

- 5 man raid Infected was tweaked a good bit and made playable

- Klingons get a big boost in PvE content. They can take some Fleet Actions now, do some exploration missions, more ships available and customization.

- PvP got new content, a new arena which is huge. Oh and Fed vs Fed pvp, which a lot of us have been waiting for.

and on and on and one. check out the patch notes and see all that they have added

That reads as incredibly thin for a "Season" content update.

Just to contrast it, take a look at what City of Heroes will be doing for Issue 17: http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/game_updates/issue_17/issue_17_overview.html

So STO released a new 5-man raid? City of Heroes redesigned an old task force, two new story arcs, a villain strike force, new emotes, badges, numerous QOL fixes (completely redesigned the market system, improved in game e-mail, etc.) new Mission Architect options, and new graphics options like Ultra Mode and animated character tails.

And every single bit of it is for free.

Essentially, the CoH players are getting four or five "Seasons" that you poor STO players think is so gosh darn amazing.

Wow, new Klingon PvE content by letting them use Federation content? That must have been a beast to code...

This game is a complete joke.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

So Klingons still don't have story missions? Sad. I don't know how anyone can play a Klingon in that game.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by Dinendae

Originally posted by bstiff

The actually monthly cost is unkonown to anyone outside of the companies, but once of the columnists on here said awhile back that one of her sources told her that only about 1/3 of that monthly $15.00 susbcription price paid for everything; that's salaries, maintenance/new equipment/equipment upgrades, etc. Assuming that source wasn't working for WoW, it appears that the general assumption that companies need not only the monthly subscription, but other income as well, is wrong. Games that have higher populations (WoW, Eve, LotRO) would probably have to use a little less than 1/3 of the subscription price to pay all of their bills, while companies that have smaller populations may need to use perhaps up to half of that monthly subscription price.

*Note* I am guessing the person who quoted her that figure did not work for WoW on the basis of her article: Her article was about cash shops, and the point she was making was that items in cash shops for games with mon thly subscriptions as well were pretty much pure profit for the company. You wouldn't really be able to make that argument with WoW, since it has such a giant player base in comparison to other games.

I never bought Cryptics we need more money to make content therefore cash shops are necessary. These games, when they have a healthy playerbase, certainly pull in more than it costs to maintain and then there is the box price that gives them the initial investment back.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

The patch came out and it was HUGE! It contained a lot of things. We all know the negativity that are associated with these net forums...especially the third party ones. Fact is Cryptic has communicated what they have done and are going to due with projective dates. They added new content, and opened up the c store where you can get your extra character slots and extra items. The game itself still has me interested (probably because iam a star trek fan) and as long they continue to add things and work on it, I think it will be all good. Of course if Cryptic didn't do anything then people would be up in arms complaining about that. If Cryptic added new stuff but it wasnt what a thousand different players wanted then people are complaining about that too.......see the trend here?

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by Ad-am

The patch came out and it was HUGE! It contained a lot of things. We all know the negativity that are associated with these net forums...especially the third party ones. Fact is Cryptic has communicated what they have done and are going to due with projective dates. They added new content, and opened up the c store where you can get your extra character slots and extra items. The game itself still has me interested (probably because iam a star trek fan) and as long they continue to add things and work on it, I think it will be all good. Of course if Cryptic didn't do anything then people would be up in arms complaining about that. If Cryptic added new stuff but it wasnt what a thousand different players wanted then people are complaining about that too.......see the trend here?

Sure project dates and "under developement" posts are fine. Until the deadline comes, people realize cryptic didn't deliver half of what they were claiming, and cryptic goes back to delete the undelivered content out of the original development post. SOP for cryptic, promise the moon, fail to deliver and then claim they never promised the moon.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by ktanner3

That is exactly why I finally left the game. The devs are in serious need of some people skills. You can't be flippant and dismissive of the people who pay you bills. Anyone with half common business sense knows this.

Sorry, Dude, but you WERE warned about Cryptic. Repeatedly.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by Die_Scream

How in the heck, really!...can anyone reward Cryptic for this absolute watered down pandering lowest common denominator swill that STO is? It was supposed to be a ST game for cripes sake!

What a failier. Nobody at Cryptic should still have their job if their fingerprints are anywhere near this train wreck.

It was NEVER going to be a Star Trek game. Some of us pointed this out (as well listiong the reasons WHY it wasn't Trek). People don't want to listen.

Sometimes, the 'Doomsayers' are right. Sometimes, the sky DOES fall.

In other words: WE TOLD YOU SO.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

I see the denial and apologia.

Still no storyline missions for Klingons and still not much to do once you max your character. Once you finish those new 2 hour missions then what? Adding extra stuff to the C-store isn't anything to crow about because that means even more stuff a player has to buy that should have been in the game in the first place. Respecs and extra character slots should come with your subscription to the game. And please, don't try and make believe that Cryptic are these great communicators. They make big promises, don't deliver and then claim they never made the promise in the first place.

Still no storyline missions for Klingons and still not much to do once you max your character. Once you finish those new 2 hour missions then what? Adding extra stuff to the C-store isn't anything to crow about because that means even more stuff a player has to buy that should have been in the game in the first place. Respecs and extra character slots should come with your subscription to the game. And please, don't try and make believe that Cryptic are these great communicators. They make big promises, don't deliver and then claim they never made the promise in the first place.

Respecs are in the cash shop?

Dude, looks like you're now on the dark side with all the rest of us who simply don't get it.

• fortuentefortuente Member Posts: 66

Wow, reading through this thread I forgot this was about STO and I thought it was about Tabula Rasa.

Total deja vu.

Originally posted by Xondar123

Dude, looks like you're now on the dark side with all the rest of us who simply don't get it.

Amazing what can happen when you treat your customers like sh*t isn't it? Now instead of Cryptic having a disappointed customer who was willing to pay an extra month to reach end game  has now canceled and is back giving his money to Blizzard. Cryptic has now joined SOE on my blacklist. I LOVE capitalism. :)

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

Originally posted by fortuente

Wow, reading through this thread I forgot this was about STO and I thought it was about Tabula Rasa.

Total deja vu.

Difference is Tabula Rasa was still widely popular (especially in Europe) and all the bugs had been worked out once it died.. it was actually becoming "fun".

STO has no content, too easy to level, dull gameplay, mission repetition, not enough variety, not enough story quests... etc etc poor klingons.

and on top of that, you have to pay to play any other race... PAY.. haha... yeah Tabula Rasa was never this bad.

Hell even Auto Assault is doing better than the current Champions Online (lifecycle wise).

Cryptic = fail.

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Hopefully people who put faith in this company have learned their lesson. It's really sad to see this company sucker people with CO and now sucker people with STO.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Heretique

Hopefully people who put faith in this company have learned their lesson. It's really sad to see this company sucker people with CO and now sucker people with STO.

For the record I'm a customer of Cryptic and STO but I don't feel suckered personally I don't recall any announcement of expected features that didn't make it in.  What I can say is I'm having a hard time staying subbed for the month of April in anticipation of what they could announce for the next season update, but I certainly bought a game at a price comparative to any other non mmo or mmo for that matter and got a fair amount of playtime out of it I lasted about a month and a half which is a realistic play time for any game that's not an mmo and since it really didn't cost me any more than any other game I could have bought I don't feel the need to brand them somehow.

I think Cryptic in fact will eventually find it difficult to make mmo's if they don't change there entire design philosophy but in all fairness they are no more or less than a mediocre mmo dev.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....