Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will FFXI survive FF14?

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

Right now I play AOC, and WoW.

I've had my eye on the FFXI discs in my box-o-mmos for a few days now. I've been so very tempted to fire it back up, and drop WoW from my game list.. but FF14 keeps telling me to not bother. 

I know that I will at least try FF14 and will probably sub to it if its decent. However, I know that I don't have enough time before FF14 comes out to see all I want to see in the game. I have a 65 white mage I could resume play on, but still with my play schedule.. that will take a while. 

WoW at this point has become a means to an end, I only play it because I have time invested in it, and I know tons of people who play it.. alot of which are getting bored with it as well.

I have fun in it sometimes.. but now it just seems like all I do is run instances. There's no adventure to it.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• KilorTheMeekKilorTheMeek Member Posts: 260

FF14 is still some ways off so if you have the urge to play 11 for a little while, why not? 

OTOH, I get the feeling that 14 will probably be the final nail in 11... not that that's necessarily a bad thing, FF11 had a good long run.  I may be wrong, who knows? 

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
  • lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

I really think the FFXI players are probably going to disappointed with FFXIV... just my guess.

I can just see the posts here now, knowing this place.

I'm sure some won't like FFXIV and stick with FFXI.

FFXI won't go away unless Square desides to axe it, and I can't see them doing that unlees the sub numbers drop super low.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I think FF14 is going to be more akin to WoW than it is to FF11. If my thoughts are correct, then I'd see people either.. A.. not playing 14.. or B. Playing both, since 14 would be so casual in comparison.

Ideally SE would love for them to play both, I would think.

Currently playing:

• KilorTheMeekKilorTheMeek Member Posts: 260

Originally posted by raystantz

I think FF14 is going to be more akin to WoW than it is to FF11. If my thoughts are correct, then I'd see people either.. A.. not playing 14.. or B. Playing both, since 14 would be so casual in comparison.

Ideally SE would love for them to play both, I would think.

Doesn't look WoW-like at all, IMO.  The class system is gear-based... so you can have your toon be a caster one day, tank the next, melee dps the next... etc.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
  • Robdc84Robdc84 Member Posts: 156

hard to call that one, i think more people will move towards ff14 due to it being more simple to handle and understand then ff11 was. but the hardcore fans will ride ff11 out till it shuts down. the only thing i wish they did for ff11 was make it more PC friendly i hope they make ff14 more PC friendly then ff11. only the release and time will tell.

IN THE FACE!

• maltosmaltos Member Posts: 94

Ima say what I said in a previous post about ff14 combat. They are essentially using FFXI for game concepts and mechanics to help smooth things out for the beta. Ideas like lessening the already ridiculous grind FFXI has. The new add-on content will boost FFXI gameplay by not only adding new zones, but easy to obtain relics and mroe upgrades for relics, increased level cap, etc. google ffxi, head to their site and check out all the details. New summons where just added and I believe another 3 add-on scenarios are due out. I don't think FFXI is going anywhere for a while. They commented on supporting FFXI even after 14 releases for the dedicated fan.

With that being said there are way to many people on FFXI that are going to either stay with it or pay monthly for both. A good ingame friend of mine plans on staying with FFXi for the time invested. My RL friend that plays got into the beta (lucky) and is planning on paying for both. You invest to much work into FFXI to just quit it cold turkey and those of us that are still there will not just quit 11 for 14. Me...I plan to pay for both and hope that they take pity and offer a reduce fee for subscribing for both.

So my opinion on the OP is that they will continue to support it for a few more years. My honest opinion is to resubscribe to 11. This will get you use to the game and remember what you enjoy about FFXI. Then just switch to 14. Seeing as they no longer delete accounts for being inactive for so long, you can always go back to FFXI.

-Maltos-

I see FFXI being the same as EQ is to EQ2..

EQ while not as active as it once was... still has plenty of loyal players and is still running strong years later. I think both games will be different enough to attract two different crowds, or those who just love FF games in general (people like me) who will wind up subbed to both.

Currently playing:

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

I see FFXI being the same as EQ is to EQ2..

EQ while not as active as it once was... still has plenty of loyal players and is still running strong years later. I think both games will be different enough to attract two different crowds, or those who just love FF games in general (people like me) who will wind up subbed to both.

This, and FFXI IMO has more replay value in any MMO, since you can play all the Jobs on one character. As long as they keep making great storylines, more jobs, and keep the varied endgame content, FFXI will be here to stay.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I personally know a lot of people that have no interest in moving on to XIV. They've spent the last 7 years leveling and gearing out their jobs and don't want to start over again. I've never played a game that has people so attached to their characters as XI does, simply for the fact that it takes years to attain certain items. Myself though, i've come to terms with it and have been ready to move on for about a year now. I do, however, see XI carrying on for as long as SE continues to support it.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

FFXIV is almost identical to FFXI in every possible way, but better.  The only people that will continue playing FFXI are people that can't run FFXIV or refuse to start over.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

FFXI will most likely loose a lot of it's players, maybe keep 1/3 or so. That means it most likely will merge some servers.

Unless Square closes it down to promote XIV I however don't see it dead in a few more years, but there will be few new players so it probably wont live forever.

Unless they totally mess up XIV of course, in that case XI will be little affected of the release.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Have the system requirements for XIV been announce yet?  But, I see a decent amount of people sticking to XI as they may not meet the requirement for XIV.  Or, they like the feel of it compared to other mmo's as it looks like XIV moved towards the hotkeys for skills while XI was more traditional jrpg.

• NewtNewt Member UncommonPosts: 69

Did EQ survive EQII?  Of course XI will survive XIV for many years.  As long as there are enough subscribers to XI that they're making $1 profit they will keep the doors open.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by NetSage

Have the system requirements for XIV been announce yet?  But, I see a decent amount of people sticking to XI as they may not meet the requirement for XIV.  Or, they like the feel of it compared to other mmo's as it looks like XIV moved towards the hotkeys for skills while XI was more traditional jrpg.

Alpha requirements. Assuming specs will be lower once game goes from alpha > beta > live.

CPU :

Intel Core 2 Duo (2.4 GHz)

AMD Athlon X2 (2.4 GHz)

RAM :

Windows XP: 1.5GB

Windows Vista / Windows 7: 2GB

Hard Disk Space :

Installing: 10 GB

Downloading: 10GB on the drive containing the My Documents folder

Graphics :

NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 or higher?VRAM 512 MB

Radeon™ HD 2900 or higher?VRAM 512 MB

Sound :

DirectSound® compatible (DirectX® 9.0)

• RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144

Personally i believe 11 will be fine. I think they are going to ruin thier new game just like every other developer out there.

You only catch lightning in a bottle once. Try it for the second time and you get shocked. Third time is toastie.

Biggest Example - Everquest (Best Game Ever!) - > Everquest 2 (not so awsome) -> Vanguard (Suppose to be EQ3 but FAIL)

Kick to the Face.

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

Originally posted by Ujirik

FFXIV is almost identical to FFXI in every possible way, but better.  The only people that will continue playing FFXI are people that can't run FFXIV or refuse to start over.

Please explain >.> They have a different job system that includes Crafting Jobs, Harvesting Jobs, different battle system, etc. The only thing similair is the Races and art style.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by AlysenMinase

Originally posted by Ujirik

Please explain >.> They have a different job system that includes Crafting Jobs, Harvesting Jobs, different battle system, etc. The only thing similair is the Races and art style.

That's what ignorant people see. Art style and races are the same = teh whole game is the same. 

In other news, World of Warcraft is almost identical to Warcraft 3 in every possible way, but better.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • sidfusidfu Member Posts: 170

im just hopeing they put a better system in it than 11. on my pc couldnt never get 11 to work right. screen resolution would change but texters would stay low rez. also didnt like the control scheme was like they just threw the console verson in there with no thought of how the pc worked

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Rakuji

I think they are going to ruin thier new game just like every other developer out there.

Nah won't happen, mainly cause Square-Enix of all MMO developers out there are the only ones that stuck to their original core design with FFXI, and didn't attempt to make it more WoW like; as everyone else has.  Thats why so many MMOs are failing cause all they're doing is trying to capitalize on what WoW did thiking they'll get the same amount of praise and subs.  They need to innovate and do something different and get out there on the thin ice and take a risk.  We're all getting sick of the C&P WoW MMOs.

EQII failed because of this, SOE changed its core design to match that of WoW style, Turbine did the same with LOTRO by ruining their impressive crafting for stupid progression gear and legendary weapons.  Most of all though, far too many MMOs are designed on end-game first...screw that...give me adventures with fellow players and LS mates throughout the journey from 1-to-XX.  Concentrate on a strong story and give us plenty of things to keep us busy at all times besides just killing enemies and doing quests as fast as possible to hit the stupid cap....this of course is what FFXI has always done.

Sure Square-Enix may have added a few options to make lvling a bit easier like FoV, more XP from EP, DP, and EM and Level sync but its still the same game as before.  Then look at FFXIV and while it mirrors a ton of what FFXI has done, they're going out on that thin ice and doing something entirely new with the Armory and Disciplines and Guildleves, while keeping their core design the same.  Seriously why fix or change something that isn't broken and still works perfectly fine, just expand on it and add new features...thus FFXIV is born!  That alone is a horrible mistake by far too many developers!

• ChrillixChrillix Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Khrymson

I think they are going to ruin thier new game just like every other developer out there.

Nah won't happen, mainly cause Square-Enix of all MMO developers out there are the only ones that stuck to their original core design with FFXI, and didn't attempt to make it more WoW like; as everyone else has.

I'm pretty sure FFXI came out before WoW, so I hope your statement remains true now that they've seen how succesful WoW is. I had a lot of trust in Square-Enix but after FFXIII I'll admit I'm a little worried. I know they're completely different games, but the slight worry is still there.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by Chrillix

I'm pretty sure FFXI came out before WoW, so I hope your statement remains true now that they've seen how succesful WoW is. I had a lot of trust in Square-Enix but after FFXIII I'll admit I'm a little worried. I know they're completely different games, but the slight worry is still there.

FFXI was changed... but it's still completely different to WoW. It has similar ideas implemented to it.. but in a new way altogether. 

Even though you don't like FFXIII, it's still a quality product.. and that's the only thing you should expect from XIV compared to it. It's not the same team making all of these numbered titles, remember that.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

FFXI will still be available for players but I'm guessing that the majority will move to FFXIV. I wouldn't be suprised to see just a handful of servers left after FFXIV release.

Originally posted by Chrillix

Originally posted by Khrymson

Nah won't happen, mainly cause Square-Enix of all MMO developers out there are the only ones that stuck to their original core design with FFXI, and didn't attempt to make it more WoW like; as everyone else has.

I'm pretty sure FFXI came out before WoW.

It did, but that didn't stop SOE changing EQII, or Mythic changing DAoC into a more WoWish style, both of which were released before WoW.  I'm sure there are others that escape my immediate thoughts too...

so, since your guild is doing both games.. do you expect to have any that will play both?

Currently playing:

so, since your guild is doing both games.. do you expect to have any that will play both?

There may be a few that attempt to play both, but considering the time requirements for FFXI alone, finding that extra time outside of FFXIV ~ I don't see many sticking with it for long.  Once XIV launches everyone thus far I'm assuming will leave XI and play XIV exclusively...

We are just focused on FFXI for now, because quite frankly no other MMOs compare in features and FFXIV is still a long way off, well not that far but still late this year is a long time for MMO gamers pining for something new and will actually be good for once.