Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Universe, anyone like this besides me?

elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

As the thread states, I've lately heard a few people say they didn't like Stargate Universe. So I decided to check it out. Granted, I'm not a fan of SG1, but I loved the movie, and Stargate Atlantis a ton.

While the show is definitely not as lighthearted as the other series, I find this one's dark and gritty style a welcome change. Reminds me of Lost in some ways, mainly with the character conflicts and how each episode slowly reveals more about each character so that you even end up liking the bad guys.

Thoughts?

Comments

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

WoW, they're really coming out for SGU aye! Thought they did a pretty good job on the few shows they have made, but I think they are hurting because people are ticked at SYFY in general, and the series is nothing like the two that came before it. I can't seem to get into Caprica, but I digress. As for SGU, I really like some of the sexy things they did with people being able to switch consciences, and the flawed ballsy leader leaving his shipmate stranded on the planet. Good original sci-fi it seemed to me.              EDIT: I was a big Farscape/SG1 fan and compared to them it's just so-so, but far from bad TV.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I thought the "Time" episode was topnotch scifi action. It actually made sense more than other shows have in the past when dealing with time travel.

Yeah, I can't get into Caprica either. To much hating on God there. Not my cup of tea. We just need more star treks, stargates and maybe some new Babylon 5 type of shows.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Sci Fi, Time epasodes are Getting WAY to old. Thankfully they dident Show the One after where they figured it, out and saved us that Anoyance.

And they are supposed to Greatly slow down on the Trips back to Earth!!!!!!!!!! Thank GOD! I was almost Glad Season One came to a end.

And Aliens! Woot! About time :)

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

So, anyone else think the Colonel was right in leaving the "mad" scientist on the planet? I think it was the right decision. The guy was a huge liability and out there, where there really aren't any justice systems, what else do you do? Any society gets rid of people like that in their own way, and I think it was done right.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I am still trying to figure out if I like SGU.  SG1 was my favorite, mostly because I accidentally watched it's pilot back in the summer of 1997.  SGA, I liked but didn't love.

But SGU, well, I just don't know.  The stones thing drives me absolutely batty.  In all honesty I preferred the more campy, less serious SG1 style than the more serious SGU.  I got my serious scifi out of BSG, but I just don't like the stargate franchise as being serious or dark, or whatever it has become.  The "sexiness", well I don't care for it.  In the end though, I will watch SGU because I still like the franchise.  I just wish someone would flush those Asgard communication stones down a toilet.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Originally posted by elocke

So, anyone else think the Colonel was right in leaving the "mad" scientist on the planet? I think it was the right decision. The guy was a huge liability and out there, where there really aren't any justice systems, what else do you do? Any society gets rid of people like that in their own way, and I think it was done right.

You Do realise he is Way to inportant of a person to just "Ditch"... Unless the actor got other work that is... Humm..

But If that isent the case he will be back. (Cant post outside your box...)

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

You Do realise he is Way to inportant of a person to just "Ditch"... Unless the actor got other work that is... Humm..

Oh I know that isn't the last we saw of him. I mean he just "happens" to be stranded on a planet with a derelict alien spacecraft to play with. He's smart enough to probably figure it out and get off that rock. In a way, this sets him up as the possible main villain for the rest of the series.

Hard to say, I think it was a cliff hanger TBH. The guy had major issues for sure, but he also had saved there butt a couple of times. I liked it at the time, but if everyone else on the ship finds out, he is going to have real problems. Might have been better to bring him back and prove what he did (setting the guy up for murder by planting the gun). But it was good TV, especially compared to so much of the prime time type stuff that's on currently.

Yes the new posting system SUX's ATM. If you bang on the keyboard long enough it will work LOL 

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

It's not a bad show but not half as good as the old Stargate's.

During the "Time" episode, the Scientist jumps through the unstable gate, when it's clear their going to die, trying to make it back to the ship. He doesn't make it back, but this may be how he re-enters the show : O

watched on hulu and thought of that.

New episode aired. Not sure if I like how the scientist just happens to get all tough enough to take on an alien but he got his butt beat in the prior episodes by every Tom, Dick and Harry in the show.

LOL, I still like it, but now it seems like the show is just TRYING to keep conflict alive no matter what. I'm all for conflict, if it makes sense, and characters need to grow and change over time. Maybe this is just one of "those" episodes that will be remembered as a crappy one. Every series has em.

New episode aired. Not sure if I like how the scientist just happens to get all tough enough to take on an alien but he got his butt beat in the prior episodes by every Tom, Dick and Harry in the show.

LOL, I still like it, but now it seems like the show is just TRYING to keep conflict alive no matter what. I'm all for conflict, if it makes sense, and characters need to grow and change over time. Maybe this is just one of "those" episodes that will be remembered as a crappy one. Every series has em.

Yeah, solid sci fi but with a that one glaring flaw. It's like they want to go in a whole new direction, but it ends in the same story. Not sure why they would be at each others throats to such a degree. Just seems contrived. Still, a very watchable show.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

I like SGU much better than the original series. I for one don't like it when a show gets locked into fighting the same enemy, episode after episode.

that's what i fear we're headed for with SGU, eventually they run into the Gaul and that's it for the rest of the series, actors with special effects voices and behaving like they are in a bad soap opera.

So I hope they don't go there, and continue to explore and do different things, liek the old Star Trek. Away team to the planet! that's always good stuff.

Also, I'm not into the other story with the stones, where they go back ot earth. I hope the stones get broken, so they can get rid of that part.

It was ok for a start, but it's old now. No more going back to earth, let them just explore space like Capt. Janeway.

It's been done before. Lost in Space? But it still works.