Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AION FTW!

wicked45wicked45 Member Posts: 59

Well I did it. I broke down and played AION this weekend. From reading about it on these forums I was pretty much ready for an awful experience. But I actually found it …dare I say…pretty good. The world seemed large and open. The graphics were beautiful. There was a large variety of creatures. The animations and sound were very polished and slick. And while I was already mentally prepared for the grindfest…I really didn’t find it THAT much different than other MMO’s that are out there right now. I mean FE, Runes of Magic, Star Trek and even WOW send me out to do mundane and even trivial things all the time (wrapped in a lame story). Mind you, I only got to level 10! (Just enough to get my wings) but it definitely wasn’t the horrible game that I’ve read many people referring to. Anyhow, everyone on here is always talking about how bad current MMO’s are and how there’s nothing to play…I think that’s a bit harsh…or maybe I’m just easy to please. ;)

Comments

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Trust me, the game is a perfect example of a grind. The game is polished, but..

You know, I was like you. Until you get around 30/40 and the game is so boring. But I would say, see for yourself.

• AmphysvenaAmphysvena Member Posts: 12

Aion is fine at the lower levels. Once you hit 25+ it starts going downhill pretty fast.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

The ridiculous grind was the worst part about it for me.  You can't really see it until you get close to level 30.  I will admit that it was a fun MMO up until the 20s.  Once you see the PvP zone at 25, you will probably see why most people don't like the game any more.

• ninja33284ninja33284 Member Posts: 82

level 47 sorc here, the game is amazing IF and only if your not going to Rush through the game, you have to be willing to take your time with it, Maybe play some CSS one in a while, IF you grind 2 50 and dont explore the game you will be fucking bored out of your mind trust me on this one lol, ive been playing since day 1, 6months today, and im only lvl 47 because i saw so many people rush to 50 and quit, simply they dont have enough content for lvl 50s, but up untill that point its alot of fun, BUT you need, and let me repeat, YOU NEED to find a Legion with a good community that will make Your game experience SOOOO much better. enjoy AION, i know i will

• wicked45wicked45 Member Posts: 59

That's strange.  I actually got the impression that AION had a decent end game.  It's just the getting there that took a long time and was a grindfest.  I'll have to update this post as I go.  Seems like the middle part slows the game down. 

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Originally posted by Amphysvena

Aion is fine at the lower levels. Once you hit 25+ it starts going downhill pretty fast.

Unfortunately, this.

Lovely game, fun to play at lower levels if you can get around the bots and goldsellers. But you hit the grind mid-20s and it really kills the enjoyment.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

I enjoyed the game quite a bit in the early parts. But somehow, later on, more specifically lvl 26, I got fed up with it.

And I disagree with the op, the world is not large nor open. I've played WoW before and the difference is very big.

I was hoping it would keep me hooked until FFXIV or TERA came out, but it didn't

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Ninja pretty much nailed it, dont rush to level and enjoy as much of the game as you can, XP wil come even from crafting.  I have a level 50 and level 48 and I didnt rush my first 50, I did instances, lots of quests, etc and it went by fairly smoothly.  I grinded my second character and believe me it was a lot different, it felt harder.  I always try to warn people that Aion is not WOW, its not some easy mode casual type game.  You benefit more from putting in more time and sometimes feels like you cant put in enough time.

• hauptmann85hauptmann85 Member Posts: 29

I think it's safe to say that most people who play Aion has plated WoW 1 time or another. With that said, a lot of people do not like the grind (even though the definition of that also varies among people) when they experience the "fast-food service" WoW provides, in terms of leveling.

Aion has its share of problems, and WoW did too when it first came out, however, people do not compare today's games with the street dated releases of yesterday's games.

You might be pleasantly surprised when 1.9 comes out. Until then, don't focus on getting to lvl 50. It's just going to take way too long. But that's not really a bad thing. Pre lvl 50 content is pretty fun too, minus the gankers I guess.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Like others, I found it to be a standard level based game with more grind tossed in that most titles these days.

My highest character is level 38 and I just can't bring myself to log in and run the instances or grind on mobs anymore.  Might just be me, but I don't find this sort of game design entertaining anymore.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• selobthegodselobthegod Member Posts: 155

I would agree with the above posters too. I was extremely hyped when it launched ( the day i joined ) and the game seemed so much fun ! After reaching 30 lvl i sensed the BORING grind and left for two weeks . Then i returned and went up to 50 lvl , did some Dredgion and Dark Poeta runs and just got fed up. Game lacks of fun factors , grind may be one of them in some games but definitely not in this one! It just seems so pointless.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Like others, I found it to be a standard level based game with more grind tossed in that most titles these days.
    My highest character is level 38 and I just can't bring myself to log in and run the instances or grind on mobs anymore.  Might just be me, but I don't find this sort of game design entertaining anymore.

go back to EVE you noob...grrrr

:p j/k

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628
    Originally posted by Shatter30

Aion is not WOW, its not some easy mode casual type game.  You benefit more from putting in more time and sometimes feels like you cant put in enough time.

I'm not a Aion hater, but nothing in this game was hard, and being casual has nothing to do with it. It's just that Aion's endgame is mind-numbingly shallow and boring.

edit: Hit post on accident.

If you like it, play it, and the op should try leveling and taking on the game himself if he likes it. I just personally felt like the game was grindy, and kind of shallow.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by bronecar

I enjoyed the game quite a bit in the early parts. But somehow, later on, more specifically lvl 26, I got fed up with it.

And I disagree with the op, the world is not large nor open. I've played WoW before and the difference is very big.

I was hoping it would keep me hooked until FFXIV or TERA came out, but it didn't

sad but true, i think the flying was among the most disapointing bits too, there should be less restrictions on it.. especially the amount of time you can actually fly!

• prototypoprototypo Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Kyleran

You and the rest got it right on the mark on how i felt, but sadly i actually fully maxed a SM. 1-20 is very fun and going from one place to the other is one of the joys i have experienced, then comes the dreadful boring looking abyss. The most fun i have ever had in this game was when my race the asmodians were fighting the elyos in this grand PVP (Must have been 75 vs 75) battle in the abyss for apparently just kicks.

• GigachipGigachip Member UncommonPosts: 35

I personally love the game right now.  The grind isnt to much for me, personally I like it after playing ffxi which i thought was worst.

• MarlyjaneMarlyjane Member Posts: 6

I am sorry, I had a 50 cleric. I just couldn't see myself going anywhere with this game. It's just a grind o the end, and then no bang for your buck. Honestly, I was quite disappointed with the end game. There was none, it was just grind in the Abyss, get new armor, grind in the abyss, get new armor. I am glad some people are enjoying it though, just not for me. 

• AsleepAsleep Member UncommonPosts: 96

This game is a lot of fun. It is a lot of grind as well, even if there is grind in every game it still should be said about Aion as it is a grind fest. That being said it is a grind that many people have easily handled, and almost full geared out.

The prob is indeed the end game, you have Dark Poeta, The Abyss, Sieging, Fort Instances, Dredgion and Rifting, which may seem like a lot but, in fact Dark Poeta gets old, the reward system for speed is cool but its just a tank and spank, Dredgion is awesome and a lot of fun, but there needs to be more of this type of thing, Rifting is pretty much weak at higher levels, you have to be lucky to find any real action, or try and camp a fortress, the abyss is tilted to certain classes, Sieging is fun, but kinda the same thing every time, fort instances are the same thing every time, tank and spank.

Anyways they need more ways to offer quality PVP which the game is actually good for as far as group and fighting mechanics, the base is there. The next patch offers some very nice upgrades UI wise and some nice balancing but it isn't till the patch after that, that is rumored to offer high level content, which is kinda sad since a lot of us have been doing the same thing for just months and months on end everyday.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

too much grind not enough fun.

• SudowoodooSudowoodoo Member Posts: 45

You guys act like you never seen grind in an mmo before. What mmo do you guys come from WoW? Aion has double xp weekends leveling is easy mode.

• GigachipGigachip Member UncommonPosts: 35

I think some are from DAoC, that used to the xp that pretty much gives you insta 50. I remember DAoC before all the xp love though

• GlavianGlavian Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by Gigachip

I think some are from DAoC, that used to the xp that pretty much gives you insta 50. I remember DAoC before all the xp love though

Agreed. I loved DAoC prior to all of the expansions that turned the game into a grindfest for the epic gear.  I truly think DAoC was the best MMO ever before that. It took me a couple of months to get to 50 in the original game. When the expansions killed PvP I quit and came back a year later and leveled to the cap in a couple of weeks. that was a sure sign of a problem.

• RavenmaneRavenmane Member Posts: 246

I have 5 months worth of Lodus Amulets on my characters right now...they make the 25+ grind a bit less painful.

"If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."
  • shylock1079shylock1079 Member Posts: 158

They made this game remarkably well from a sales standpoint.  When you start..you get somewhat hooked by the openness of the intro levels, and by the mechanics you are introduced to.  But as soon as you get to, oh say, 17-18 it slows down.  AND you notice that the openness narrows drastically.  All of a sudden you're being funneled through a narrow game from 25+.  Sure pvp gives you some change...but not enough till endgame.  

But that isn't the point.  Because they made the introductory levels so damn enticing, you're given a false impression of the game.  So as business models go, they did their job well.    

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

Originally posted by shylock1079

AND you notice that the openness narrows drastically.  All of a sudden you're being funneled through a narrow game from 25+.  Sure pvp gives you some change...but not enough till endgame. 

What game are you playing? 'cause it's the opposite in Aion. Extremely narrow paths and 'invisible walls' everywhere levels1-20, and opens up drastically 25+ with multiple zones that are all much more open than the 1-20 'tutorial' zones.