Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat looks slow? Help me out.

NimecNimec Member Posts: 25

From a couple of the gameplay videos I've seen around the net and on youtube, the combat gameplay consists of some dude swinging his sword once every 4-5 seconds while having a stare-fest with the mob hes attacking.

I haven't played FF11, but people in the comments say its similar to FF11's system. To me it looks incredible dull, unpolished, and non-immersive, so what is it about it that's making this game so "hyped up"?

This isn't a flame post, I actually am interested in giving this a try for PC/PS3. But I wasn't expecting the combat to look like what it does for such a high-end new MMO. Can anyone elaborate on the combat system?

Thanks!

Comments

• SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

The shaky cam footage you're talking about is kind of old and wasn't a good representation of the combat (I think). We haven't seen any actual gameplay footage of the final product - hopefully we will soon though.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I think there needs to be a balance here.  MMO's arent chess where its acceptable to take forever to make a move.  Otoh, most games go too far the other way imo.  If the internet connection (from average to blindingly fast) plays a significant part in your dps then the action is too fast.

I don't mind a moderately slow combat as long as there's some nice eye candy  The animation in particular

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

I didn't think those videos were representing what combat was going to look like? From what I heard, those video where just displaying what the game looked like while they ran some characters around a field and talked about what they were doing and what they could do.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Well after trying FF11 last night and watching a few vids of higher lvl people I would say yes it is going to be a little slower than most.  A lot of it has to do with the way the controls are set up and the UI.  Every action has to be done through a menu so they have to allow time for you do what you need to through them.  It's not like you have a bar full of skills you want to use.  You have all your skills available at all times you just have to get through the combat menu and select it.

• pigionpigion Member Posts: 53

was not a huge fan of ffx1. So hopefully combat is a smidge better. Otherwise im super excited for the game.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by NetSage

Well after trying FF11 last night and watching a few vids of higher lvl people I would say yes it is going to be a little slower than most.  A lot of it has to do with the way the controls are set up and the UI.  Every action has to be done through a menu so they have to allow time for you do what you need to through them.  It's not like you have a bar full of skills you want to use.  You have all your skills available at all times you just have to get through the combat menu and select it.

In FF11, actions don't have to be done through a menu; you can make macros that allow you to use any of your skills/spells (or multiple ones in succession) with one keystroke.

The combat is definitely on the slow side, though. It feels slow because abilities tend to have long cooldowns, so you're not standing there mashing buttons to fire off each ability as it becomes available. Timing (for skillchains and magic burst) is also important, so there's a lot of waiting involved.

Since distance, positioning, and careful rationing of MP are all important decisions to be made during battle in FF14, I'd put money on the fact that it will also have a combat system that would be considered slow compared to other MMOs.

• FTYGFTYG Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by Nimec

To me it looks incredible dull, unpolished, and non-immersive, so what is it about it that's making this game so "hyped up"?

If you don't like this cup of tea, it doesn't mean it suck. Simply, you don't like it. Other people like it ... oh wait, I love it :)

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

combat in offline FF games isn't all that fast either.. makes sense to me.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

I actually like the slower paced combat.  You actually have to "think" tactics and timing, not just spam the keys mindlessly for hours.  I miss timing out skillchains with a BLM to burst at the end, SAM and MNK ptys were fun too.  

I think WAR and Aion gave me carpultunnel syndrome from excess key mashing

• maltosmaltos Member Posts: 94

I have played FFXI for about 5 years now I believe. I believe it is one of the better MMOs out there for the simple reason of the combat standing out. Like those of you who have tried it and seen it, the combat is a very slow system in FFXI. It requires ( or use to) timing and party coordination. FF games from what I have seen have a turnbased combat system. Doing this in an MMO is frowned upon. FFXI went as close to being turnbased combat as they dared with all the fun of a japanese menu system to boot.

With that being said from what I have read and seen FF14 is aiming to bridge the difference between FFXI and other MMOs. FFXI was way to slow for most users, forced a party system among the player community which resulted in the inability to play the game without the proper setup, and just overall feel of a slow game. Realising this and putting it into production now (albeit a couple years to late) FFXI is now a testbed for FF14. We received and will be receiving more content that is intented to increase the overall feel of the game as well as giving the ability to solo. Among other things, however they are using ffxi as a testbed for some features in hopes of smoothing out the mechanics for the beta (for the lucky ones who got in  :)  ) 

Give the combat system time to develope and keep checking in on the game. The creators realize their mistakes and shortcommings with FFXI and will fix the problems between FFXI and generic MMOs while still maintaining that feel of party-like play mixed with fast paced combat.

I heard rumor a while ago that they plan to let users use different attacks based on strength and a timer for each. So a strong attack will result in a longer delay or you can choose to use a weaker attack for less delay. Finding the balance and taking the risk is their goal. Hopefully they will bring back skillchains and magic bursts as those were alot of fun. So you can be sure that they will be bridging the gap between the 2 different styles of MMO combat to create something faster paced than 11, without needs to break your number 1,2 and 3 keys.

-Maltos-

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

I have a few question for the OP.

Did you like FFXI?

If not, why are you interested in FXIV?

Is it because it the next big thing coming out?

If so, I would urge you to reconsider your motive & wait for SW: ToR. thank you

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Id like to see a game where instead of hitting the attacks as fast as they allow, you instead have to time your attacks and get bonus damage (or crits) from hitting at the right moment.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by Nekrataal

Did you like FFXI?

sadly thats why a lot of people are interested in it, then your going to have to put up with their crying/whinning around when its not like WoW, or all the wow clones.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by toddze

Did you like FFXI?

sadly thats why a lot of people are interested in it, then your going to have to put up with their crying/whinning around when its not like WoW, or all the wow clones.

I'd have to agree here. I'm probably going to try and dissappear from the forums for awhile once the open beta starts because that is when the majority of the forum trolls will start :x

Originally posted by NetSage

That was true for FFXI but this time around they are making the gameplay & UI much more streamlined and better for both casual players and players more used to the traditional MMO mechanics (like in WoW, EQ, Warhammer, etc).

For instance, there's a hotbar built into the UI - as seen in this screenshot:

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Did you like FFXI?

not looking forward to this at all. =/

Originally posted by SoulSurfer

Did you like FFXI?

not looking forward to this at all. =/

Check out the ffxivcore.com forums if you'd rather have a better place to chat about the game. It has to be the friendliest MMO community I've ever seen. I don't think I've seen a single person trolling or flaming anyone.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Did you like FFXI?

The really funny thing is, people complain oh why does it have to be a WoW clone. Then when a game comes around that is different, they bitch how this or that part of the game isn't like WoW.  Get out of your damn comfort zone and try something new, thats all Ive got to say. Oh wait and this

Want to see some fast combat in FFXI......... Monk + Kraken Club + Hundred Fists  say what? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXWb5v-mZnY   Heh,  guess FFXI has the 2 extremes. Ive never seen any other game have this fast of auto attack even with special abilites and weapons. I may just be missing out though, IDK.

• DariusGearDariusGear Member Posts: 94

Honestly i think they should have used the system from FF XII for this game. 

We go trough life with many yet there is a time we must walk our path alone.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    why? What they have revealed so far sounds much better than in xii. Combat that has reaction elements, without being twitch based- exactly what mmos need.
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • DariusGearDariusGear Member Posts: 94

I agree, I just hope this new system has more action than the old FXI system, spaming macros got old, and timing on skill chains was not involved enough for me when you had count down timers you had no work to do so a reaction based system would be a blessing. I also hope XIV has a bit quicker pace i think leveling should take time but god dam i want a life too or as the fat kid would say give me my cake and let me eat the dam thing. 

We go trough life with many yet there is a time we must walk our path alone.

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

Having a left & right hand action bar, weak & strong attacks, meaningfull Flanking & rear attacks ( if I'm not mistaken), just to name a few of the game combat mechanics. No lvl... FXIV is going to be awesome!

::crossing my fingers not to have to eat those words back::

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    in regards to the alpha videos, the player didnt know what the hell he was doing. He tried to play the game like you normally would play an mmo, spamming skills and auto attacking. Thats not the way xiv works. You need tp to execute skills, so the player only got a 'you cannot use that skill at this time' message over & over again. However, you gain tp from the mobs hitting him, and after a while he had enough tp to do the skill. So, that vid doesnt really isnt accurate. Anyway, since you have to take into account so many things other than just skill cooldown and order, it might hurt the game were the combat too fast. Not being able to do a skill doesnt mean youre not busy adjusting your distance direction and reacting to what the enemies and your allies do.
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

?Originally posted by NetSage

A menu?  Like some sort of drop down crap?  Whose crazy idea was that?