Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EvE online: Special Edition

IzorkIzork Member UncommonPosts: 381

Okay..

I have a few questions.

Since I tried every other MMO (Literally spoken) I am going to try out EVE. I will first of all, try the trial. I'm almost certain I will love it!

So I searced a bit and I see there's a box version (WEE!) I love to have a box version of the game, instead of just on Steam. So I was wondering, so far this is what I dicked out:

60 Day Game Time – Useable by both new and current players

Instant War Access – Retail box buyers will receive an in-game certificate that will give them instant access to Factional Warfare, while other users have to spend considerable time earning the right to fight for the factions

Career Guide – For the first in the history of EVE, CCP will offer players goals in the form of what career they want to pursue and the inside advice on how to get there. This might become the biggest thing in this box if this works well

VIP Pass – Players are told how they can invite their friends and give them VIP Access to EVE Online in the form an extended trial and if the friend becomes a subscriber the player will get a 30 day free game time added to their account

Special Edition Ship – Players will get an exclusive ship in-game. It is special type of a shuttle that is ideal to move things around due to much increased cargo space. This is the first time CCP has created an exclusive ship, so we believe our current player base will be very interested in this.

Sounds to me its worth buying it. You even get 60 days of playtime!! How about the ship? Is it good? ad the Instant War Acces, could you explain it further.

And now, a probaly relativ old question many new people ask the EVE players:

How is it to be newbie? Does the Old Players dominate EVE and makes it none-fun for new players? I know of EVE university that I could apply too and probaly will, but how isit? I mean they had 7 years to make skills!

Anything else that I need to know, please tell me!

Oh, and do I get acces to every expansion, eventho I buy EVE on box?

Thank you!

Comments

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

'How is it to be newbie? Does the Old Players dominate EVE and makes it none-fun for new players? I know of EVE university that I could apply too and probaly will, but how isit? I mean they had 7 years to make skills!'

if you are smart you can work around any skill advantage of the enemy.

also numbers> skills.

eve is full of all kinds of corporations that promote learning, pve, pvp so you will always be with more experienced players.

if you want to be a lone wolf... which is pretty much a suicide, unless you really know what are you doing.

• IzorkIzork Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by sazabi

'How is it to be newbie? Does the Old Players dominate EVE and makes it none-fun for new players? I know of EVE university that I could apply too and probaly will, but how isit? I mean they had 7 years to make skills!'

if you are smart you can work around any skill advantage of the enemy.
    also numbers> skills.
    eve is full of all kinds of corporations that promote learning, pve, pvp so you will always be with more experienced players.
    if you want to be a lone wolf... which is pretty much a suicide, unless you really know what are you doing.

Hm okay thanks!

I still need some answers on the box thing.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Izork
    Okay..

I have a few questions.

Since I tried every other MMO (Literally spoken) I am going to try out EVE. I will first of all, try the trial. I'm almost certain I will love it!
    So I searced a bit and I see there's a box version (WEE!) I love to have a box version of the game, instead of just on Steam. So I was wondering, so far this is what I dicked out:
    60 Day Game Time – Useable by both new and current playersInstant War Access – Retail box buyers will receive an in-game certificate that will give them instant access to Factional Warfare, while other users have to spend considerable time earning the right to fight for the factionsCareer Guide – For the first in the history of EVE, CCP will offer players goals in the form of what career they want to pursue and the inside advice on how to get there. This might become the biggest thing in this box if this works wellVIP Pass – Players are told how they can invite their friends and give them VIP Access to EVE Online in the form an extended trial and if the friend becomes a subscriber the player will get a 30 day free game time added to their accountSpecial Edition Ship – Players will get an exclusive ship in-game. It is special type of a shuttle that is ideal to move things around due to much increased cargo space. This is the first time CCP has created an exclusive ship, so we believe our current player base will be very interested in this.

Sounds to me its worth buying it. You even get 60 days of playtime!! How about the ship? Is it good? ad the Instant War Acces, could you explain it further.

And now, a probaly relativ old question many new people ask the EVE players:

How is it to be newbie? Does the Old Players dominate EVE and makes it none-fun for new players? I know of EVE university that I could apply too and probaly will, but how isit? I mean they had 7 years to make skills!

Anything else that I need to know, please tell me!

Oh, and do I get acces to every expansion, eventho I buy EVE on box?Thank you!

1) Unique ship you get is a shuttle - small non combat vessel, a travel ship.
    2) Skill system has caps so even though some player is much older, he can get only limited skill points in certain specialization. That makes a life of new players quie easier(along other things).
    3) Being new is very much fun. Due EVE complex combat mechanics and rather horzontal progression where bigger does not mean better but just a different tool for different job, you can find your life meaningfull since day 1.
    4) All expansions(2 per year) are free.

Advice:
    Read a lot about the game to understand core game mechanics.
    You might start couple trial accounts focused on different aspects of the game.
    Once you buy a game, focus your skilling and stick to skill plan. Usefull tools: EFT - EVE Fitting Tool and EVEMon - character planner.
    Be polite and nice to people you meet.
    PVP is about ISK management.
    Do not fly what you cannot afford to lose.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

must admit some of the things do seem a bit odd, instant war access for instance, i would say everyone should always complete the initial missions, it gives equipment and skills etc that are invaluable... as for the factional warfare, if you join a corp and ideally you should, then factional warfare is only available if your corp actually decides to join it, not many do as far as i know, although factional warfare is a good intro to PVP in the game, it would probably mean staying in a newbie corp or joining one thats active in faction warfare, as far as i know though, there is no limits placed on anyone joining factional warfare anyway..  as for a shuttle with an expanded cargo hold.. well.. interesting but.. most of the times when your using shuttles its to travel to pick up another ship... rather than hauling stuff around.

the larger questions about domination etc, older players do not dominate the game, instead its more a case of alliances do, the stronger the alliance - usually in terms of numbers really, the more area they control etc, tbh, explaining all that would take forever... but basically new players do have a place, and can make a difference, its just a question of finding the right corp/alliance to suit your own interests.

as for expansions, CCP releases all of them for free, so as soon as you have installed the game and updated, you already have every expansion ever released - its an exciting universe to play in, and although the learning curve to begin with is pretty steep, its definitely the most challenging game i've ever played, but it is a very social one, its not a game you can really expect to play as a solo player - though not impossible, the most fun is definitely had when playing the game as a member of a corporation, and this is definitely where most of the 'meat' of the game is.

Originally posted by Phry

must admit some of the things do seem a bit odd, instant war access for instance

Instant FW access means you start with required faction standings without grinding them through missions or spending ISK in data centers.

In no way it is holding you back or preventing from doing tutorial missions, epic arcs or whatever.

Thanks for all the replies.

That is just great, its not dominated by older timers!

Anyways, anyone got some links to useful information I need to read before starting? A bit lost tbh.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

it's worth buying. if just for 60 days game-time card (GTC). GTC can be converted to pilot license extension (PLEX), which goes for 250-290 mil ISK on market. ISK is inter-stellar kredit, money of EVE.

special edition ship is just slightly modified gallente shuttle. it has collector/curiosity value (50 mil ISK offers on contract). shuttles are very small, but quite agile cargo ships, usually used when there is no need to risk more expensive ships. my recommendation would be to keep this specific ship packaged, if you are into collecting, or sell it, for quick cash boost. note that ship will be gone forever if destroyed.

instant war access is meh. faction warfare (FW) requires standing (reputation) with one empire faction, which can be gained within hours of playing tutorial arcs, and you DO WANT to complete these tutorials. it will save you lots of trouble later.

note that FW is PVP and with EVE's loss mechanic, you will need a way to replace your ship and modules. combat-ready frigate (smallest combat ship class) will cost about 500,000 ISK, which is about 1 hour of game play with lowest skills. with increase in skill, it's relatively easy to make more than 10 mil ISK per hour.

career guide is nice fluff, especially if you have a thing for game manuals.

expansions are free. as long as you keep your subscription running, you have access to all you can put your in-game hands on.

older players do dominate, to an extent. expect to play 6-12 months before you can compete with most. that said, there are many ways to progress and advance. even a week old character can be useful. considering there is quite a lot of casual players and depending on your skill as player, it's possible to compete within a month, especially in frigate class. while some people have 7 years, note that not all those 7 years of skill count in every situation.

note that PVP is free-for-all and open world. ganking (outnumbering opponent) is acceptable and effectively acts as equalizer between new and old, or poor and rich. as long as it's within game rules, it's fair and square. on "fair" note: if you are looking for a fair fight, you are doing it wrong. just go look for a fight, and congratulate your opponent when it turns out to be fun.

best advice: get yourself into player corporation. even the worst corp is better than alone in EVE. EVE University is very good choice for a starting player.

don't buy expensive stuff just because it's better. price increase exponentially for slight increase in performance. especially in frigate class, buy cheap modules. once you get better understanding on what's going on and how to get ISK, you will know what's worth what.

don't trust anyone, but don't dismiss advice. check, double check, and draw your own conclusion.

reading comprehension is mandatory skill in EVE. everything else is optional. check New Citizens Useful threads for more info, especially Akita T's Golden Rules.

Originally posted by spinner_vis

it's worth buying. if just for 60 days game-time card (GTC). GTC can be converted to pilot license extension (PLEX), which goes for 250-290 mil ISK on market. ISK is inter-stellar kredit, money of EVE.
    special edition ship is just slightly modified gallente shuttle. it has collector/curiosity value (50 mil ISK offers on contract). shuttles are very small, but quite agile cargo ships, usually used when there is no need to risk more expensive ships. my recommendation would be to keep this specific ship packaged, if you are into collecting, or sell it, for quick cash boost. note that ship will be gone forever if destroyed.
    instant war access is meh. faction warfare (FW) requires standing (reputation) with one empire faction, which can be gained within hours of playing tutorial arcs, and you DO WANT to complete these tutorials. it will save you lots of trouble later.
    note that FW is PVP and with EVE's loss mechanic, you will need a way to replace your ship and modules. combat-ready frigate (smallest combat ship class) will cost about 500,000 ISK, which is about 1 hour of game play with lowest skills. with increase in skill, it's relatively easy to make more than 10 mil ISK per hour.
    career guide is nice fluff, especially if you have a thing for game manuals.
    expansions are free. as long as you keep your subscription running, you have access to all you can put your in-game hands on.
    older players do dominate, to an extent. expect to play 6-12 months before you can compete with most. that said, there are many ways to progress and advance. even a week old character can be useful. considering there is quite a lot of casual players and depending on your skill as player, it's possible to compete within a month, especially in frigate class. while some people have 7 years, note that not all those 7 years of skill count in every situation.
    note that PVP is free-for-all and open world. ganking (outnumbering opponent) is acceptable and effectively acts as equalizer between new and old, or poor and rich. as long as it's within game rules, it's fair and square. on "fair" note: if you are looking for a fair fight, you are doing it wrong. just go look for a fight, and congratulate your opponent when it turns out to be fun.
    best advice: get yourself into player corporation. even the worst corp is better than alone in EVE. EVE University is very good choice for a starting player.
    don't buy expensive stuff just because it's better. price increase exponentially for slight increase in performance. especially in frigate class, buy cheap modules. once you get better understanding on what's going on and how to get ISK, you will know what's worth what.
    don't trust anyone, but don't dismiss advice. check, double check, and draw your own conclusion.
    reading comprehension is mandatory skill in EVE. everything else is optional. check New Citizens Useful threads for more info, especially Akita T's Golden Rules.

Thanks a lot! I checked out the rules, sounds like they're worth remembering!

- Indeed, so you advice me to take the box? (Worth it? or tkae the 20 eu one on steam.. its 10-12 eu more, and you get 30 days more time and bit few extra things + box)

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

If you never tried eve before and you have no idea how combat is done let me tell you that the game is point to click.

It's also very menu driven meaning a ton of right clicking with cascading menus, long travel times and very little content when it comes to quests/missions

The game also has damn near no hand holding. Fallen earth is a mentally retarded playground compared to Eve.

IM only telling you all this because you seem to think FE is a sandbox (made clear by your other thread).

I want to save you the trouble, I can damn near promise you wont enjoy Eve.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

One little note to box version.

I hope I get this right.
    Once you purchase a box, you will recieve a GTC. This GTC can be used

1) To create a new account with 60 days play time
    2) To convert GTC into 2x PLEX(ingame item adding 30 days play time to your account) and used within your already existing account. That however means you will not get the special goodies like FW standings and shuttle.

• MacScarfeMacScarfe Member Posts: 100

This does worry me, EVE is for all it's size and self-hype a niche indie game at it's heart. Your not going to be able to download the client and pick up the controls in the first 3 seconds like i have done with so many other games over the last 2 years.

Although CCP have done a lot of work on the new player experience it's still the steepest learning curve out there in the mmo market aided and abetted by the simply mindboggling and bewildering array of choice available to a player from the very second they login for the first time.

Am i trying to put you off the game? Yes, a little bit, your enthuisasm is setting you up for a fall, a fall that many many new players take when they first try EVE. Your either gonna love this gate or absolutly hate it, there is seemingly no middle ground.

But there will come a point in those first 2 weeks of the trail where you'll go "I have no idea what i'm doing, how i'm doing it or even why. I'm not even sure i'm enjoying it." If you work throught the steepest point of the learning curve you have a much better chance of survivng and enjoying the game.

As far as the older players dominating, don't worry were all too busy pouring over our spreadsheets and managing our corps to actually 'play' the game. :)

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

Thanks a lot! I checked out the rules, sounds like they're worth remembering!

- Indeed, so you advice me to take the box? (Worth it? or tkae the 20 eu one on steam.. its 10-12 eu more, and you get 30 days more time and bit few extra things + box)

can't comment on steam offer, but i know many regular players bought several boxes just because of GTC :) it must have been less than two month subs (11-15 EU/US) at that time.

I see a few of you, think that I will not enjoy it.. You may be right. I will try it for the two weeks, and see how it goes.

I know its defently not the regular basic MMO, I'm not thinking of itl ike that either.

But I will give a shot, and as you say, I will either love it or hate it.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

I see a few of you, think that I will not enjoy it.. You may be right. I will try it for the two weeks, and see how it goes.
    I know its defently not the regular basic MMO, I'm not thinking of itl ike that either.

But I will give a shot, and as you say, I will either love it or hate it.

That's true. About 1/8th of new players find EVE is the bestest most awesomest MMO ever. The other 7/8ths cant adapt to how different it is from pretty much every other MMO out there.

If I was to give you one single piece of advice on how to enjoy EVE it would be to forget every other MMO you have ever played.

The second piece would be: DONT try and play it as a massively singleplayer game. EVE gets way, way better when you play it as an MMO.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

With the box my suggestion is just do a trial or two try different things and then come back and ask questions about them.  EVE sort of punishes a player for not asking or researching things. Perfect example of this is traveling. most people start out by setting a course and hitting autopilot and waiting for the computer to take the ship along the course. This is actually the slowest way to travel. If you set the course and manually fly to each star gate you can warp right on top of the gate and jump immediately possibly saving 1-2 minutes per system if not more on larger ships. With most things you will do in EVE, the first way you do it will be the most ineffiecent way possible.

Now once you get things figured out then getting the box and making your actual player character would be alright. That way you can use the time code on the new account to gain the benefits. That said the benefits are fairly small for the Box. While the Career guide is nice I found it to vague to really be of any use to anyone when I looked at it.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Just my 2 cents, but I would think about doing this:Newbie guide to Eve Online ninja salvaging

The FW is not a bad idea and all the new intro content for new players will help you get adjusted to the game, but before long you are going to have to move out on your own and find a source of income. FW, building standing with missions, Ninja salvaging for ISK, finding friends to fly with, these are things I would think about focusing on. Also, you might as well do a free trial first as you have nothing to lose. Even if its just for a few days. Just my 2 cents : )

In the beginning, I think you really have to decide if you're going to go solo PVE or not. As for Quest/Missions, they're really only good for building standing with the various factions IMO.