Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA Officially Labeled As a Sandbox MMO

13»

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by thark

Originally posted by merieke82

This makes no sense.

Q: This game sandbox or theme park?

A: TERA has been described as a "sandbox MMO".

The following answers contradict that:

A: TERA will feature a combination of quests in both the open world and instances.

A: Channels and shards are different in that Channels are parallel instances within the same server, whereas shards are different servers.

A: Quests are a main part of the game

A: PVP will be on a sever-by-server basis

Sorry, I don't see what part of this game would be considered "sandbox." Maybe one of the quests involves killing 10 imps to reclaim the royal sandbox for some king.

There can be quests in a sandbox land, but If you "choose" to do them among other things to advance it can be a sandbox, but if the quests are "forced" as a primary means to advance, well then it's not much of a sandbox..

But if there is a game completly void of NPC's the questing would be given to you by other players

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by Mannish

This makes no sense.

A: TERA will feature a combination of quests in both the open world and instances.

A: Channels and shards are different in that Channels are parallel instances within the same server, whereas shards are different servers.

Sorry, I don't see what part of this game would be considered "sandbox." Maybe one of the quests involves killing 10 imps to reclaim the royal sandbox for some king.

There can be quests in a sandbox land, but If you "choose" to do them among other things to advance it can be a sandbox, but if the quests are "forced" as a primary means to advance, well then it's not much of a sandbox..

But if there is a game completly void of NPC's the questing would be given to you by other players

So basically what you just said is that a game that you can level through straight up grinding  mobs or through questing is a sandbox because you have the choice in how to level? Your logic makes little sense. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

As someone said, games typically incorporate varying degrees of sandbox and theme park elements and I'd say TERA comes in decidedly more on the themepark side of the line.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by Frostbite05

Originally posted by Mannish

This makes no sense.

So basically what you just said is that a game that you can level through straight up grinding  mobs or through questing is a sandbox because you have the choice in how to level? Your logic makes little sense. 

The original post quoted above seems to have been countered with arguments regarding questing. Questing is only one small piece of that post. All of the items mentioned contribute to making the game more themepark than sandbox. Just because a game has elements in it from a sandbox doesn't make it a sandbox.

WoW = Puzzle Strategy game because you have to click shiny buttons to get desired raid results.

Warhammer = Tactical Shooter because you can take control of and fire siege equipment.

World of Goo = Sandbox MMO because it has one level where you can build infinitely high, work with others, and post your scores online

Now, as previously mentioned if anyone ever asks, "What is Wold of Goo?" the proper response is "It has been described as a sandbox MMO ..."

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

?Originally posted by Kyleran

As someone said, games typically incorporate varying degrees of sandbox and theme park elements and I'd say TERA comes in decidedly more on the themepark side of the line.

Agree one thousand percent.  As a rule of thumb a themepark game determines the actions available to a player, while a sandbox determines the consequences of those actions and lets the player decide based on those consequences.  Every aspect of the game can be considered in that light.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by osmunda

?Originally posted by Kyleran

Agree one thousand percent.  As a rule of thumb a themepark game determines the actions available to a player, while a sandbox determines the consequences of those actions and lets the player decide based on those consequences.  Every aspect of the game can be considered in that light.

We dont know yet to what degree TERA is theme park, your description can be used on any feature of any MMO out there, by that description WoW has loads of sandbox features, what consequences are those?! to the world?! to the player?! to the guild?! to the server?!

You go on by saying that a themepark determines the actions available to the player, even the greatest of sandbox games will determine the actions available to the player, while you can use your imagination there still need to be in game tools, say you can build anywhere, you would probably call that sandbox but if there is nothing else then the only action available tot he player is build anywhere, so your description is again very vague and at best inaccurate, any sandbox will still have to determine the actions that the player can, the only way not to do this would be to allow the player to program in new gameplay actions into the gamecode which is impossible.

Again themepark have some degree of consequence even if its only at the player level, and you are still given some choice based on whatever consequences.

All in all I dont agree with your assessment it is too vague and any feature can fall into both of your premises, this is why is a bad idea to try and summarize theme park and sandbox into simple terms like this it just doesnt work cause there is too much of a grey area, to determine a sandbox game you really have to dig in deep and compare it to whatever we have on the market feature by feature. The best thing is let people decide after having played it, it usually comes to a point where it is more or less agreed what category it falls onto.

I do agree with Kyleran tho, TERA will have theme park features of that I am sure, how much of the sandbox features there will be I think will determine how successful it is, I dont think a game will ever be successful again by going down the "go sandbox!" route nor would I want to, I want a purpose for making something, and sometimes you just want to login and know what you are going to do instead of trying to conquer the world every night.