Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting Messages and Quoting... Have Had Problems for Years

DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

Okay, I don't even know where to begin with this, so I'm just going to play it by ear. I've been hesitating to post this for months, but I've finally decided to do so, hoping someone can help me out.

I've been visiting MMORPG.com for years, and I've been using (and in a few cases, moderating or even administrating) Internet forums since the 1990s. On most forums, you click the "Reply" button or the "Quote" button, type in your message, add BBML or HTML tags as desired, then click the "Post Message" button (or its equivalent elsewhere).

However, for me, MMORPG.com is different. On Firefox (latest version), I can't post messages at all. The browser just hangs when I click "Reply" or "Quote." On Opera — which I downloaded solely for use with MMORPG.com — I can usually post replies, but sometimes the enhanced editor hangs and won't give me a cursor, and the function buttons above the editing box are all broken links.

And on all browsers, the "Quote" function at MMORPG.com has been buggy ever since I can remember, ESPECIALLY when you're dealing with nested quotes. If you want to alter someone's quote, you have to do so very carefully. In Enhanced mode, you can easily screw up the formatting just by deleting parts of the quote that you don't need. The only way to make sure you get it right is to use BBML mode and do everything manually.

Why is the forum software like this? I've never had this problem on any other forum I've ever visited, period. My computer (Windows XP SP3) is clean, fast, up-to-date, and free of malware and spyware — I use Kaspersky anti-virus, various free online tools like Ad-Aware, a professional firewall, and of course my own computer safety savvy and common sense learned through years of computer use.

I would appreciate any advice you can give. I like MMORPG.com, but the user-friendliness really suffers a lot, at least on my end.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

Comments

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Yeah I dont know whats going on. I cant post at alk using Firefox.

And I think the interface has changed also.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by tro44_1

Yes I think the interface has changed as well. 

I don't use Firefox, but I had a hell of time just getting this post made. I had a lot of trouble getting my cursor underneath your quote to even begin to type. I guess it's just some bugs associated with the site's new changes.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

?Originally posted by Cecropia

I don't use Firefox, but I had a hell of time just getting this post made. I had a lot of trouble getting my cursor underneath your quote to even begin to type. I guess it's just some bugs associated with the site's new changes.

Same here

And sometimes I cant even use the enter key to go to another line. Worked this time, but last post it didnt. Also It still not letting me Right click in the chat to paste

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Same here

And sometimes I cant even use the enter key to go to another line. Worked this time, but last post it didnt. Also It still not letting me Right click in the chat to paste

I can confirm the issues too!

This is the first proper post I can quote and type underneath since the recent change!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We are investigating this issue. Please reply with any additional issues, will be watching this thread.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Same here

I can confirm the issues too!

This is the first proper post I can quote and type underneath since the recent change!

Same issues here!  Also.. when trying to click out of the quote box the quote often is erased.. 

The worst is when the ENTER key doesn't work and I have to hit space a zillion times.. and that just screws up the formating.    I am using regular old I.E. but it's so bad that today I just stoped typing in 3 posts and gave up responding!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984

Oh yeah... it also often will not allow me to change the text color of any quotes to highlight them.. or even edit the quotes to delete huge sections of useless text and leave the 2-3 sentences I'm replying to..

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

I am quoting a post as per the screen shot and I can not click underneath to type a reply, If I click below it just highlights the quotation, which I sometimes can type inside:

• rlmccoy1987rlmccoy1987 Member Posts: 1,722

It took me about 5 times to make this post, everytime I would load the page, it would be a blank white square where the typing area is suppose to be...  It would just stop loading the page randomly...

Did the mmorpg.com staff update the editor today?  I can't even quote someone or the flashing icon will automatically move up to the top of the editor, and I can't even get out of the quote part of the editor box....  image

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

I am quoting a post as per the screen shot and I can not click underneath to type a reply, If I click below it just highlights the quotation, which I sometimes can type inside:

This exacly in IE8. It's almost impossible to get out of the box, and you can't highlight text or insert links either. Firefox is better but not by much : (

This exacly in IE8. It's almost impossible to get out of the box, and you can't highlight text or insert links either. Firefox is better but not by much : (

What ever they edited today broke it more. I can't even get out of the box in firefox now, it worked earlier this morning. Now I am stuck making huge red lettered text because I can't get out of the box.

This is really starting to get annoying...

[Mod Edit]

The last post I just made, I cant even erase those spaces because it constantly loads a white box where this editor is...  image

Originally posted by rlmccoy1987

What ever they edited today broke it more. I can't even get out of the box in firefox now, it worked earlier this morning. Now I am stuck making huge red lettered text because I can't get out of the box.

This is really starting to get annoying...

[Mod Edit]    I see the MOD EDIT still works : O 

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Originally posted by qazyman

I'm using Google Chrome, I have to be very fast when first selecting the text when quoting someone, if I'm not fast enough to type something out of the box it brings me to the first line inside the box and then I have to reload the page to attempt again to type outside of the quote box.

Originally posted by EricDanie

I'm using Google Chrome, I have to be very fast when first selecting the text when quoting someone, if I'm not fast enough to type something out of the box it brings me to the first line inside the box and then I have to reload the page to attempt again to type outside of the quote box.

This 100%

I see what you're saying but I can't do it in FF .....It takes me heredOriginally posted by rlmccoy1987

It took me about 5 times to make this post, everytime I would load the page, it would be a blank white square where the typing area is suppose to be...  It would just stop loading the page randomly...

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

I had no problems with this new editor on Firefox before today. Posting today, I can't write outside of the quote box!!

When I click in the window below the quote the cursor flashes then jumps to the top of the quote box next to "Originally"

------- END TRANSMISSION

Originally posted by maimeekrai

I had no problems with this new editor on Firefox before today. Posting today, I can't write outside of the quote box!!

When I click in the window below the quote the cursor flashes then jumps to the top of the quote box next to "Originally"

FireFox seem to be working for me now : ) imageimageimage

Originally posted by maimeekrai

FireFox seem to be working for me now : ) imageimageimage

Quoting working again it seems.  Good job mmorpg staff... just make it easier to put multiple quotes in a post instead of making me make multiple posts.