Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crap things about Everquest

spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

Not sure if Americans embrace the word crap- if not read rubbish.

Here we go I'm starting a mini-list since relogging in.

1) The number of expansions
No bloody wonder few people are returning, this sheer number of expansions to catch up on is ridiculous. Quality>>Quantity.

2. Plane of Knowledge
This- a real breaker down of fantasy. You go there and immediately somebody summons you some mage rod. Why there has to be a 'central hub' to the game I don't know-I'm sure it's a killer to aspects of the game.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Actually as an aside, we really only use the word "crap" in the context you are mentioning. But I know what you are saying about "rubbish".

I love watching my "coupling" episodes and listening to them say "it's all rubbish". It works for me on so many levels.

ok carry on.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

Ok.

3. The UI. A horribly uninspiring grey UI.

4. Having to run all the way to a zone to clear aggro.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by spades07

Ok.

3 - Yes but there are numerous, amazing UI mods that make the game that much greater.  They are actually talking about updating the default UI now.  If you're using the default UI, you're really missing out imho.

4 -That's part of what makes EQ, EQ.  Even though the death penalty is gone, you still have to think about your pulling tactics.

On topic - Crap things about EQ:

- The severe dumbing down of the game over the last few years

- That damn card game that has everyone sitting in the guild lobby all day

- I miss it, but the EQ i miss isn't there anymore.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Oh, don't even get me started on Legends of Norrath (the card game)... I mean, I guess it is ok, if you like playing collectible card games online (which I don't), but it annoys me that announcements about it are spammed all over channels on the Internet that are labeled EQ.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• grumb7fishgrumb7fish Member Posts: 15

Disclaimer: what follows is what *I* (me,moa) doesn't like.

- I don't like the interface. I eventually went to eqinterface.com and sifted through a bunch of crap(rubbish?) till providence kicked in and I found one that emulates the wow ui. (eliteuberawesome trolls can say what they want but I really think wow has a clean, intuitive user interface)

-The skills don't have tooltips or info buttons that explains what they are/ what they do(example: Meditate). You have to look it up on the web which really gets annoying after awhile.

-Having to re-map my keys to WASD. (I know, I know)

-How much of their game they blatantly ripped off from WoW (hehehe).

Still a good game.

"These are my principles; if you don't like them, I have others." -Groucho Marx

• SamatmanSamatman Member UncommonPosts: 123

Originally posted by grumb7fish

Disclaimer: what follows is what *I* (me,moa) doesn't like.

- I don't like the interface. I eventually went to eqinterface.com and sifted through a bunch of crap(rubbish?) till providence kicked in and I found one that emulates the wow ui. (eliteuberawesome trolls can say what they want but I really think wow has a clean, intuitive user interface)

-The skills don't have tooltips or info buttons that explains what they are/ what they do(example: Meditate). You have to look it up on the web which really gets annoying after awhile.

-Having to re-map my keys to WASD. (I know, I know)

-How much of their game they blatantly ripped off from WoW (hehehe).

Still a good game.

I agree about the default UI in its current form.  There were default UIs that were superior in the past but SOE has a habit of fixing things that aren't broken.  The Warcraft UI skin is excellent, but I have used Savok's VertUI for more years than not.  You can find his forum and download links at http://www.theconcerthall.net     On the positive side, EQ was one of the first games to allow UI mods and I thank them for that.

The skills not having tooltips is all part of EQs concept of not giving hidden information to you, the player character.  You don't get to know mob hit points or sometimes how much damage your new spell does.  I agree that they probably took it a little too far, but it had the side effect of spawning fan websites where people discussed / parsed / demystified the game to make it more transparent (easier).   If you choose not to go outside EQ (the game) for information (or meta-information), it can be a more immersing experience.

I used the cursor keys to move for years in EQ and looking back at it it is a painful experience.  What did I know though, 11 years ago?  I use WASD now too.  There should be a popup-tip immediately when you start a new character pointing you to the remap keys options. 

For perspective though, "a" used to be the attack key:

"Hail Guildmaster Treewhisper."

"Greetings young adventurer, would you be interested in helping me with some [problems] I am having here in North Karana?

player tries to type [enter] w-h-a-t  p-r-o-b-l-e-m-s    but misses the [enter] key:

You strike Guildmaster Treewhisper for 1 point of damage.

Guildmaster Treewhisper says "Elves like you ruined your own lands, you'll not ruin mine!"

Guildmaster Treewhisper slashes YOU for 346 points of damage!

Guildmaster Treewhisper slashes YOU for 274 points of damage!

Guildmaster Treewhisper slashes YOU for 344 points of damage!

Guildmaster Treewhisper slashes YOU for 298 points of damage!

YOU have DIED!

You LOST a level!

LOADING PLEASE WAIT....

As you look around Freeport, you realize you had forgotten to bind in Qeynos after spending all day making your way across Antonica.   That's classic. 

Remapping movement to WASD is (in the same tongue and cheek sense) like clam stacking in WoW.  Everyone is glad it changed, but if you lived through it back in the old days you can poke fun at hardships now a thing of the past.

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

Originally posted by Samatman

For perspective though, "a" used to be the attack key:

"Greetings young adventurer, would you be interested in helping me with some [problems] I am having here in North Karana?

player tries to type [enter] w-h-a-t  p-r-o-b-l-e-m-s    but misses the [enter] key:

You strike Guildmaster Treewhisper for 1 point of damage.

Guildmaster Treewhisper says "Elves like you ruined your own lands, you'll not ruin mine!"

Guildmaster Treewhisper slashes YOU for 346 points of damage!

Guildmaster Treewhisper slashes YOU for 274 points of damage!

Guildmaster Treewhisper slashes YOU for 344 points of damage!

Guildmaster Treewhisper slashes YOU for 298 points of damage!

YOU have DIED!

You LOST a level!

LOADING PLEASE WAIT....

As you look around Freeport, you realize you had forgotten to bind in Qeynos after spending all day making your way across Antonica.   That's classic. 

Remapping movement to WASD is (in the same tongue and cheek sense) like clam stacking in WoW.  Everyone is glad it changed, but if you lived through it back in the old days you can poke fun at hardships now a thing of the past.

That made me giggle inside.

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

No bloody wonder few people are returning, this sheer number of expansions to catch up on is ridiculous. Quality>>Quantity.

2. Plane of Knowledge

This- a real breaker down of fantasy. You go there and immediately somebody summons you some mage rod. Why there has to be a 'central hub' to the game I don't know-I'm sure it's a killer to aspects of the game.

I have to agree with you on the Plane of Knowledge.  I remember when the (still inactive) portal books starting popping up and I was hoping there would be no insta-porting introduced.  Then, BAM, we have the Plane of Knowledge.  The heart of the game died the day I logged in and saw Eastern Commonlands empty and someone telling me that everyone was hanging out in a single zone called the Plane of Knowledge.

Instead of herding everyone like cattle to one zone, they should have revamped the existing zones, maybe upped the levels of a few encounters in them to keep folks coming back.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

2. Plane of Knowledge

You nailed it with Plane of Knowledge.  Luclin started this, but when POP came out and insta-ports to this zone where the norm and the path-of-least-resistance, that killed the game for me.  I actualy quit EQ partially over that and partially because I hoped EQ2 would be a better game (which it was not).

And the expansions.  I think one every year to year and a half is a good pace.  EQ had too many.  WOW had too few.

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

Ok.

3. yeah i hate defualt ui. so much so i spent a year makeing a ui. now its outa date an i dont have the right programs to fix it atm.

4. dont always have to do that. not jsut that some classes can lose agro .but one can in some zones out run mobs an lose agro .no zoneing required.tho not all.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• BoognisheBoognishe Member Posts: 83

Good job on bashing a game that was originally designed when Windows 95 was the most current operating system..

What's next on your list, Pitfall?

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Not sure if Americans embrace the word crap- if not read rubbish.Here we go I'm starting a mini-list since relogging in. 1) The number of expansions
    No bloody wonder few people are returning, this sheer number of expansions to catch up on is ridiculous. Quality>>Quantity.2. Plane of Knowledge

The game is 11 years old. 90% of the expansion content is quality. EQ and EQ2 are really the only games on the market right now that have both Quality and Quantity. It does make it real tough on new people though.
  • CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by boognishe

Good job on bashing a game that was originally designed when Windows 95 was the most current operating system..

LOL!  It would seen people are desperate to bash something they dont like.  They just can't help it.

Originally posted by boognishe

Its not bashing- its referring to crap things about Everquest- that you could assess on any game- good and bad points. You had noticed a made thread referring to good things about Everquest hadn't you? Probably not...

• BoognisheBoognishe Member Posts: 83

lolol

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

What is wrong with the UI? What is wrong with the current Expansion Packs? And what is wrong with PoK?

Nothing!!! You guys just love to vent about the most BS of things. Yes there was a time when EQ was releasing crap expansions but now they are releasing Challenging ones. Especially Underfoot.

The UI is just fine as is and if its so much of a problem and that its crap go build your own UI eq lets you or use ones from EQinterface OR STFU because your complaining yet not doing anything about it.

As for being in the PoK and getting Rods there is a button that does delete people! Thats just an annoyance of playing with other people and thats not EQ's fault. And what is wrong with a central hub? Every fantasy movie has a central Hub where the heroes get together to head out for there travels you make zero sense when you complain about that.

EQ is what it is get used to it and quit crying it doesn't change nothing except the tissue that is needed!

no. I made a thread about the good things and bad things about everquest. This is the bad things- and you seem to have come in here and taken exception that someone dares post bad things...when that is the theme of the very threads. Which is where I posted earlier a very valid remark questioning the intelligence of said poster, and now previous poster.

As per mmo forums, you have the haters, you have the 'normals', and you have the fanbois. The haters hate without objectivity, the fanbois cannot take criticism because their brain is incorrectly wired, and then theres the normals who can assess these things.

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

Im not a fanboy by any means but i am a paying customer .With 8+ years playing everquest it does have its problems .Right now its bigest problem is devs who do not play the game.Listening only to certian class resps an raid leaders over the years had hurt eq more than any bug in game an their are some .

An yes every game has good an bad.We will see if they increase container size.If certian classes get a dps increase as promised.Odds are tho same class rep an raid leaders who had ear of the other devs will work their beta magic again.Swear some just dont look at the game over all . They just look at their class an what they should get an what others should lose.

Thats actualy imho crappest thing about eq.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

/shrug Guess my "Crap thing about EQ" has been fixed according to a previous poster.

Re-dinging, wow, the horror of grinding for hours and a death taking a level. Not that a 90% clicky couldn't get most of it back, but there were some times that your necro buddy just wasn't around and you just couldn't get a corpse summon for quite a while.  Over all greatest game ever. No game will be like everquest. Seems like all the newer ones are just out for a cash grab. Bang em out in 2 years, launch them, sell a bunch of copies and maybe a couple of lifetime subs and open a cash shop.

• ElivoElivo Member UncommonPosts: 71

I loved EQ, the having to run out of a zone to lose agro was part of the fun of that game... it made you think of how you were going to aproch a set of mobs, it even made you  stay aware of your surroundings at all times, cause you never knew when the classic  , TRAIN TO ZONE INC was gona pop up.

Unlike the games now, if someone messed up a pull and had to high tail it to the zone line, everyone in that path had to watch out, mobs didnt care who pulled them , they just wanted to take out whoever was in thier way.   And i loved that about EQ.

Will always be one of my top games of all time, and I would still probably be playing it if the community hadnt died off with WOW and EQ2 releases, and not to mention the fact of how old it is now.

They just dont do games like EQ anymore, and that is tragic.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I liked the Plane of Knowledge. I guess I understand why others do not, but I thought it was a nice addition. Not sure why players would complain about it, when the Nexus was almost the same thing, from Luclin. I stopped playing when the GoD expansion came out. Just didn't feel like grinding through it all again. Also EQ2 and WoW had just come out shortly after.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by teakbois

2. Plane of Knowledge

The game is 11 years old. 90% of the expansion content is quality. EQ and EQ2 are really the only games on the market right now that have both Quality and Quantity. It does make it real tough on new people though.

-"[We're] refocusing SOE on high quality and not rushing releases," said of his coming crop of games. -John Smedley Oct 2007 link

-"We want people to know that we're not just slamming out expansion packs. I think that was a mistaken strategy that we had for a while. It decreased our quality level."  -John Smedley  may 2007 link

-"Rothgar says server merges are something they are considering a little down the road.  The EQ2 world isn’t exactly in the best shape it’s ever been in at the moment with zoning issues, instance lag, contested named fight lag, and broker lag so the dev team has a few issues to take care of before they can move forward with this idea." -Rothgar EQ2 dev April 2010 link

So the President of SOE pretty much states that soe did in fact promote quantity over quality.  You can see it happening in EQ2 after their last expansion.  Same shit, different day.

I also agree with both of spades07's points. 

To many expansions, to fast and lacking quality hurt the game. 

Instant travel makes worlds fee small and less meaningful.  This pretty much applies to most games now though.

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

Originally posted by Palebane

I liked the Plane of Knowledge. I guess I understand why others do not, but I thought it was a nice addition. Not sure why players would complain about it, when the Nexus was almost the same thing, from Luclin. I stopped playing when the GoD expansion came out. Just didn't feel like grinding through it all again. Also EQ2 and WoW had just come out shortly after.

People complained mightily about Nexus too, at the time, but after PoP came out, Nexus probably seemed like a much smaller evil, since there were a limited number of spires that you'd still have to wait for-- it wasn't instant travel on demand to within a couple of zones of pretty much everywhere. 

I liked PoK, on one hand, for sheer convenience, but it wasn't long before there was a whole new group of players who didn't even know how to run anywhere because they didn't know how the zones connected. And it surely does reduce the feel of being one continuous world when there's an instant shortcut hub. 

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

I loved PoK, it was a god send to anybody who played from launch and had to spend an hour just getting from A to B.  Someone like me for an example, took a boat from BB to Freeport, then accidently hit a guard while hailing, dying, then having to take the boat back naked just to get my corpse..  It was fun the first time, but really after a couple of years that crap got old.

There were plenty of zones to visit, you still had to run quite a ways to get somewhere.  Remember the important things about EQ were dungeons, and they were still quite far to run to.  The books only took you to certain zones, mostly zones near player cities.  And there were literally hundreds of other zones that did not have PoK books.

I've always thought it's important for MMO's to have a hub, a place players can gather to just chill & chit chat.  PoK was it and still is the place to go today 10 years later.  I really don't understand the rage behind those hating PoK.

Also many of us that started EQ early had quit EQ sometime around Velious/Luclin.  Guess what expansion brought tons of people back?  Yup you guess it, POP expansion.  It was a radical expansion that changed many things about EQ, it improved EQ in more ways than you can imagine.  It was the expansion that brought lots of people back, and after POP was when EQ1 hit the peak of 450k+ subscribers.  Fact is people liked POP expansion, people liked the PoK implementation.  It helped improve the game in every way possible, and drew lots of people back into the game.  It really wasn't up until new games like EQ2 & WoW were the talk of the town that people started leaving EQ again.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

All I was saying is that there was a lot of bellyaching about Nexus at the time of Luclin. Lordy, some crying from the druids and the wizards, even though the Nexus spires were less convenient than paying for a port.  Getting to places like Temple of Veeshan or Ssra Temple still involved a little hiking.

Actually, I like Guild Lobby even better than PoK-- corpse summoning, banking, guild hall access, guild recruitment boards, a magus, and a hold on buff timers... What's not to love? 

On the other hand, I am playing on a Server That Shall Not Be Named that doesn't have any of those conveniences. Miraculously, it even has boats that work at least most of the time. (image) and it is turning out to be more fun for me than a mere trip down memory lane. But that's not surprising, I guess, since the game was good from the start.

I think it is safe to say that Norrath (and beyond) was too big to expect people to run by PoP, anyway. And that was a bazillion expansions ago. (And the place just keeps getting bigger!)

On the server I played on, where I was in the game at the time, I didn't see a whole lot of people coming back for PoP, but I did see people leaving in droves. At the high end of casual and the low end of raiding, many guilds were decimated by PoP, as people either flat-out quit because they couldn't get a foothold on the progression or they moved up into guilds that could flag and move on. Doing the same flag over and over for people who couldn't manage to show up all at the same place at the same time was the opposite of fun... But not a single one of my friends who stopped playing cited PoK as the reason.

I don't think hitting peak population had to do with the quality of PoP as much as more people coming into playing MMORPGs for the first time. And those people wouldn't have known the difference. They are also the people who don't know how the places in the world relate to one another except through PoK, and I reserve the right to find it annoying that they are crying and crying for a port in /ooc because they don't know that Emerald Jungle is ONE zone from a PoK book, for example, because they simply don't know how zones connect.

Now, some of those people came back for LDoN.. but instancing, like instant travel, is the kind of thing that draws lightning on these boards. (I'll tip my hand, though, and say that I wasn't a fan of the IDEA of instancing, but the implementation of it in LDoN was fun-- one group, a goal, a time limit, GO!)