Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best next Gen console RPG?

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

What is the best Xbox 360/PS3/ Wii RPG? 

If you want to state why that is cool too.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

Dragon Age Origins

Mass Effect Series

TES Oblivion

Fallout 3

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367

I'd have to go with Demon's Souls.  It's a PS3 exclusive.  It has some of the best real time combat I've experienced in any game and the maps require you to actually pay attention and think about what you're doing.  If you don't stay alert you can expect to die... a lot.  It also has a cool online feature set that allows you to see how other people died, what others are doing in their games right now, leave and rate messages, and even bring people into your game to help you or go to theirs to help or kill them.  Combine that with all the possible items, spells and stats to use while coming up with your own custom build (there are no class restrictions) and you have a hell of a fun game.  It's highly addictive. 

People say it's a very hard game, which is kind of true, but it's not bad as long as you're careful and keep an eye out for traps.

• bapowersbapowers Member Posts: 30

FFXIII Hands down...mebbe that's just cuz I'm a fanboi!

Origins was good though too, and maybe it's the excitement of getting my hands on a new Final Fantasy game, but XIII is the first console game in a long time to draw my attention away from PC Gaming and keep it.

• knighthonorknighthonor Member Posts: 96

Lets be real here people.

RPG now days are lamer then the PS2 RPGs.

you better off downgrading for better RPG games.

• picamonpicamon Member Posts: 81

Dragon Age Origins

Fallout 3

those are the next gen

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by bapowers

FFXIII Hands down...mebbe that's just cuz I'm a fanboi!

Origins was good though too, and maybe it's the excitement of getting my hands on a new Final Fantasy game, but XIII is the first console game in a long time to draw my attention away from PC Gaming and keep it.

What he said. Not taking anything away from games like Mass Effect, Fallout and Oblivion but I dont want to feel like I am playing a FPS when I play a RPG. I know that the US is FPS crazy right now but why do all geners of games have to try and become one?

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Mass Effect is easily the best console Rpg released since Kotor.

If Oblivion had the PC features I would choose that with its mod community.

Strictly speaking of consoles nothing could touch Mass Effect.

Both Dragon Age and Oblivion are much better on PC so its hard to justify picking them over ME on the console platform.

As for FFXIII its a terribly linear experience that pales in comparison to Damn near every single FF since IV. A major let down considering how strong the series has been the last few games (X-2 excluded).

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• pon14pon14 Member Posts: 45

I'd have to say Mass Effect as #1, and Borderlands as 2

• SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

Oblivion is definitely my favorite. I have more hours put into that game than most MMORPGs.

• Fuller82Fuller82 Member Posts: 13

I'm surprised to not see more people mention Demon's Souls.  That is just an amazingly original console RPG.  And as mentioned earlier the online component is fantastic.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by Fuller82

I'm surprised to not see more people mention Demon's Souls.  That is just an amazingly original console RPG.  And as mentioned earlier the online component is fantastic.

Yeah man, Demon's Souls is a blast to play.

Its in my top five of this console generation.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

I would say

Dragon age

Demon Souls

Mass effect

Oblivion

FFXIII is an ok game but it extremely over hyped.  Story and characters are just weak,  combat system is meh.  Been trying to get into the FF series more recently and I just have not really been that impressed.  Dragon age for instance follows a lot more stereotypical fantasy setting but the plot world and characters have 10 times the depth as FF.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Originally posted by gotha

I would say

Dragon age

Demon Souls

Mass effect

Oblivion

FFXIII is an ok game but it extremely over hyped.  Story and characters are just weak,  combat system is meh.  Been trying to get into the FF series more recently and I just have not really been that impressed.  Dragon age for instance follows a lot more stereotypical fantasy setting but the plot world and characters have 10 times the depth as FF.

IDK just started FF and brief impressions imo show deeper characters then DAO I mean they were all pretty easy to figure out. http://www.cracked.com/funny-3872-bioware/ as cracked points out each game basiclly has the same characters.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

FFXIII (PS3) and Lost Odyssey (360)

Those are pretty much the only ones I can think of that stay close to the original style of RPGs that I have played.

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

Originally posted by Rajen

Those are pretty much the only ones I can think of that stay close to the original style of RPGs that I have played.

Surprised more people haven't mentioned Lost Odyssey. Thats a great game for any RPG purists out there. Kind of like, how next gen FF should be.

I did enjoy FFXIII. but while its a great game, it just doesn't feel like FF to me. (Haven't finished it yet though, so we will see)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by Rockgod99

See that is the problem,Mass Effect and Dragon age is run by EA who so happens also is a part of NPD marketing who so happen like to post top ranking games.So all we hear about is the mass marketed games.I have only vaguely heard of Demon Souls,but man it is really hard for me to believe anyone that there is some good console games out there,i know Mass Effect is big time over hyped,and i already quit playing FFXIII and i'm not even half way through,too linear and boring.

I have not liked console games since about the early nineties,that is a very long string of poorly made games.The reason is i hate questing and i hate linear game play and that is pretty much what most games are doing.I prefer games that have replay ability,games that last forever.Most of these new games are meant to spend 45 hours ,then sell the game back to EB games for about 5-10 bucks.

I might check out Demon Souls,but would have to show me something amazing to get me to buy anotehr console game right now.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• alucard3000alucard3000 Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by Rockgod99

See that is the problem,Mass Effect and Dragon age is run by EA who so happens also is a part of NPD marketing who so happen like to post top ranking games.So all we hear about is the mass marketed games.I have only vaguely heard of Demon Souls,but man it is really hard for me to believe anyone that there is some good console games out there,i know Mass Effect is big time over hyped,and i already quit playing FFXIII and i'm not even half way through,too linear and boring.

I have not liked console games since about the early nineties,that is a very long string of poorly made games.The reason is i hate questing and i hate linear game play and that is pretty much what most games are doing.I prefer games that have replay ability,games that last forever.Most of these new games are meant to spend 45 hours ,then sell the game back to EB games for about 5-10 bucks.

I might check out Demon Souls,but would have to show me something amazing to get me to buy anotehr console game right now.

if you was a fan of kingdom under fire there next installment is supposed ti hit in jun -jul for the xbox360 anyways, they have a pc version coming also which is going to be more mmo but its probably going to spend a little time in the east before it hits the west the pc version anyhow

Originally posted by merv808

Originally posted by Rajen

Surprised more people haven't mentioned Lost Odyssey. Thats a great game for any RPG purists out there. Kind of like, how next gen FF should be.

I did enjoy FFXIII. but while its a great game, it just doesn't feel like FF to me. (Haven't finished it yet though, so we will see)

Yeah I do miss stuff like the open worldness of the past FF titles, and the ability to select every characters action, etc.

I still like and enjoy FFXIII a lot but you are right, it has a very different feel to it compared to the others.

<3

• HoslerHosler Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by knighthonor

This made me laugh it reminded me I always felt that when PS2 was at its prime I fealt PS1 RPGs had more depth.

I feel the focus of RPG's is more on battles and fights now. I prefer the exploring and talking parts of the game.(Fave Games - FF7, Suikoden 1+2, BOF3)

Prob why im not playing FFXIII that much now considering I have a massive FF collection of games as they are my fave im finding it a struggle to get into.

Back on topic my fave next gen rpg would be - Mass Effect

Originally posted by Hosler

Originally posted by knighthonor

This made me laugh it reminded me I always felt that when PS2 was at its prime I fealt PS1 RPGs had more depth.

I feel the focus of RPG's is more on battles and fights now. I prefer the exploring and talking parts of the game.(Fave Games - FF7, Suikoden 1+2, BOF3)

Prob why im not playing FFXIII that much now considering I have a massive FF collection of games as they are my fave im finding it a struggle to get into.

Back on topic my fave next gen rpg would be - Mass Effect

Suikoden 1+2 were amazing.

you are right about the feeling of depth. The direction of single player games seem to have changed over the years =/

<3