Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am incredibly confused right now...

I get extremely excited about this game while reading up on it, through the forums and elsewhere. The excitement continues through character creation. Even upon entering the game, I'm thinking, "Hey this ain't half bad."

But then after I get the hang of the game, I'm left with such an empty feeling of loss...

K well that's overexaggeration, since I haven't subbed yet.

Does the game get better after you get to the main island?

Does it start to feel like a real game, and not some half finished product?

I really want to like this game.

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Yes it does. The trial island is a tutorial with limited gameworld. Sure, the things like UI, combat, and the controls stays the same on mainland, but the world and the freedom gives a whole new dimension to it.

REALITY CHECK

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

The thing about Vanguard is that all around you see the potential for it to be a great game, but knowing how SOE is just keeping in on life support can contribute to that feeling of emptiness. Not to mention the game is quite literally empty in terms of players. There's a few stalwarts out there giving it the old college try, but there's just a sense of futility about it.

The game offers so much-- a huge open world, variety of classes and races, player boats, non-instanced player and guild housing, large and grandiose cities, cultural variety, landscape variety, and a whole bunch of quests. The thing is, it's still unpolished. Granted, many bugs have been fixed, but many bugs remain.

The game can be enjoyed solo up to a point, but even solo players of most MMOs like the vibrancy of other players out doing their thing. Vanguard is just mostly empty and the chat channels are quiet. There's story and lore there, but not on the focussed level of a good singleplayer RPG, so even if you decide that you're going to try to squeeze the most out of it you can, you'll still find yourself thinking "Ah, frak it. What's the point?" At least, that's the way it is for me.

If I can give you any advice, it would be to pick the regular starting locations for whatever race you decide to play, rather than doing the island. This will give you an idea of what you'll face until you join the meager population at the top end of progression. The starting areas-- at least the 2 or 3 I've done-- are pretty good in their own right, and the only thing you'll be missing from the island are a few pieces of armor and a trinket or two that you'd soon replace with better gear anyway.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Originally posted by spirit007

I get extremely excited about this game while reading up on it, through the forums and elsewhere. The excitement continues through character creation. Even upon entering the game, I'm thinking, "Hey this ain't half bad."
    But then after I get the hang of the game, I'm left with such an empty feeling of loss...
    K well that's overexaggeration, since I haven't subbed yet.
    Does the game get better after you get to the main island?
    Does it start to feel like a real game, and not some half finished product?
    I really want to like this game.

the truth is that this game is almost dead. i  left the trial island and stood before an emtpy world. a /who all count shows 20-200 players on Halgar Europe.

My Cleric is L17 and never finds someone to group, either the others think they have to solo or they have tweaked crafted items that are far better than my n00b stuff so they dont need a group.

Most players are 40+