Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age: Awakening

2»

Comments

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by SlyLoK

Originally posted by elderotter

And here I thought the original game was bad/boring.. This expansion is the biggest ripoff I have seen in a long time.

you thought Origins was bad and boring but then bought the expansion?   I guess I do not understand the logic behind that.

I bought it expecting it would actually give more insight about what the characters moved on too... To make my original purchase and 75+ hours seem worth it.

75+ hours of gameplay of the original DA:O didnt make it feel like it was worth it on its own?

The expansion adds new characters and 20-25 hours of content for half the price of a regular new title.

If you needed the expansion to validate your original purchase then you obviously didnt enjoy the original game and shouldn't have even bothered buying the xpac in the first place.

That's my point, lol - glad to see that I am not the only one that sees it that way.

No it doesnt.

I have had DA since its release and I just now beat it 1 or 2 weeks ago with my main character. I am not the type to fly through a game and say " that was awesome " without putting any thought into what was going on ( looks like I am one of the few ). Me putting 75 hours into the game has nothing to do with its worth.. Spending all that time just to see my mage pick up a sword in a cutscene instead of frying the archdemon with a lightning bolt or a huge ice spear took what value the game had and chucked it out the window.

Not seeing the army I recruited in the final battle unless summoning them yourself in skirmishes was very weak.. The final battle wasnt even more memorable than the battle at Ostagar. The game consisting of one giant fedex quest didnt help its cause either and having to do things before any race would " honor " the ' contract ' was also stupid.

The only thing I take away from DA and its expansion is.. Duncan. He was a memorable character..

Dragon Age pales in comparison to Mass Effect 1/2 or even KOTOR 1.

Let me get this straight. You enjoy the 75 hours of gameplay you experience and due to a lack luster ending that makes the whole game bad? Due to a ending that entire enjoyable journey means squat?

That's wierd dude. I mean I love the Fable games but everyone knows the endings suck. I wouldn't let an ending change my mind when it comes to liking the journey.

You must have hated a whole mess of games dude because most endings are kinda mehh.

Did I say I enjoyed it? No I didnt. I played through the game over the course of months. I didnt sit down and play 75 hours in 2 weeks ( longer than that total because I wanted to see each starting story ). Just like Lair for PS3. I hated that game but I still finished it over a couple months time.

The ending was terrible. If this was some game from an indy company then I could understand the amateurish ending and the freaking TEXT ENDING. Not from a company that has near unlimited funds.

It was more than the ending if you cared to even read instead of skim.

Baaaahhhh Bahhhhh .. Get in line with the rest of the sheep.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

And here I thought the original game was bad/boring.. This expansion is the biggest ripoff I have seen in a long time.

you thought Origins was bad and boring but then bought the expansion?   I guess I do not understand the logic behind that.

I bought it expecting it would actually give more insight about what the characters moved on too... To make my original purchase and 75+ hours seem worth it.

75+ hours of gameplay of the original DA:O didnt make it feel like it was worth it on its own?

The expansion adds new characters and 20-25 hours of content for half the price of a regular new title.

If you needed the expansion to validate your original purchase then you obviously didnt enjoy the original game and shouldn't have even bothered buying the xpac in the first place.

That's my point, lol - glad to see that I am not the only one that sees it that way.

No it doesnt.

I have had DA since its release and I just now beat it 1 or 2 weeks ago with my main character. I am not the type to fly through a game and say " that was awesome " without putting any thought into what was going on ( looks like I am one of the few ). Me putting 75 hours into the game has nothing to do with its worth.. Spending all that time just to see my mage pick up a sword in a cutscene instead of frying the archdemon with a lightning bolt or a huge ice spear took what value the game had and chucked it out the window.

Not seeing the army I recruited in the final battle unless summoning them yourself in skirmishes was very weak.. The final battle wasnt even more memorable than the battle at Ostagar. The game consisting of one giant fedex quest didnt help its cause either and having to do things before any race would " honor " the ' contract ' was also stupid.

The only thing I take away from DA and its expansion is.. Duncan. He was a memorable character..

Let me get this straight. You enjoy the 75 hours of gameplay you experience and due to a lack luster ending that makes the whole game bad? Due to a ending that entire enjoyable journey means squat?

That's wierd dude. I mean I love the Fable games but everyone knows the endings suck. I wouldn't let an ending change my mind when it comes to liking the journey.

You must have hated a whole mess of games dude because most endings are kinda mehh.

Did I say I enjoyed it? No I didnt. I played through the game over the course of months. I didnt sit down and play 75 hours in 2 weeks ( longer than that total because I wanted to see each starting story ). Just like Lair for PS3. I hated that game but I still finished it over a couple months time.

The ending was terrible. If this was some game from an indy company then I could understand the amateurish ending and the freaking TEXT ENDING. Not from a company that has near unlimited funds.

So you played a game you didn't enjoy for 75+ hours? I call bullshit man. stop trolling.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

No it doesnt.

So you played a game you didn't enjoy for 75+ hours? I call bullshit man. stop trolling.

Oh really? So you know everything right?

Go back and look at the release date for DA.. Now go look at a calender ( if you can read one that is ) and look at the date for ~2 weeks ago.. 75 hours is nothing in that time frame.

You can call BS all you want but it doesnt change the fact that DA consists of 1 large fedex quest where in the end the quests werent even needed because the sole purpose of building an army isnt EVEN NEEDED AT THE END OF THE GAME.

The game has no direction and thats why its a terrible game. Its just a bunch of quests and snoozefest conversations thrown together in pathetically small " zones " and inbetween loading screens that get longer and longer and longer.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Oh really? So you know everything right?

Go back and look at the release date for DA.. Now go look at a calender ( if you can read one that is ) and look at the date for ~2 weeks ago.. 75 hours is nothing in that time frame.

You can call BS all you want but it doesnt change the fact that DA consists of 1 large fedex quest where in the end the quests werent even needed because the sole purpose of building an army isnt EVEN NEEDED AT THE END OF THE GAME.

The game has no direction and thats why its a terrible game. Its just a bunch of quests and snoozefest conversations thrown together in pathetically small " zones " and inbetween loading screens that get longer and longer and longer.

What kind of a person continues to play a game they dislike?

I can understand a few hours but freaking 75+!!!!!!

no way.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I have never finished a game that I didn't like. I agree with the poster above.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I finished Awakening in under 8 hours.  Thats what I found disappointing about the game.  It did not offer much time to fully explore the npcs.  You get the last NPC in the last hour of gameplay.  I think the length is definetly an issue that undermines the gameplay.  Although I think they are better designed they aren't complex characters.  Their personalities were pretty much the same as characters from the original.  There was definetly alot that could have been improved like the stories surrounding those around the Architect and how they affect your party.  I mean I got to the end and the game literally has to tell me whos side I am on because there are so many holes in the story.  As with anything Bioware, I expect there to be a third installment probably something with the Deep Roads or Dragons.  Hopefully it won't disappoint.

Oghren = Oghren

Mage = Alistair

Howe = Sten

Elf Mage = Morrigan

Dwarf scout = Leanna

Spirit = Wynne

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by Cleffy

I finished Awakening in under 8 hours.  Thats what I found disappointing about the game.  It did not offer much time to fully explore the npcs.  You get the last NPC in the last hour of gameplay.  I think the length is definetly an issue that undermines the gameplay.  Although I think they are better designed they aren't complex characters.  Their personalities were pretty much the same as characters from the original.

Oghren = Oghren

Mage = Alistair

Howe = Sten

Elf Mage = Morrigan

Dwarf scout = Leanna

Spirit = Wynne

8 hours...really?

Do people play games anymore, or just try to finish the game as fast as they can?

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

Even if my Pc can handle them high, I like to play new games with all the graphics turned all the way down to "I cant believe its not a 486" settings. It gives me that "old" feeling, and Im alot more forgiving of a game's shortcomings.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you can almost tell yourself you're playing a 3D version of Simon the Sorcerer or Golden Axe. Ah, crazy shit. =D

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Thats what I mean, I was trying to play the game casually and just like that it was over.  I didn't even learn the characters names.  I was doing all the Orphan Quests because I thought they were funny.  I was talking to the characters in the keep.

Originally posted by Emeraq

I have never finished a game that I didn't like. I agree with the poster above.

I will quote this one since the other one is getting huge.

I am different. Everyone is different. I always finish a game that I start. If I dont then thats 50$+ down the drain and if I finish it I get some value out of the purchase whether I like the game or not. I mentioned Lair before.. That was the worst game ever but I pushed through it ( the controls were terrible too ).

Someone believing doesnt matter to me.. I dont need it.

The reasons I dislike DA are valid and anyone disagreeing with them doesnt change that.

As for my thoughts on the expansion.. I thought it was very rushed.