Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PCIe x16 vs x8

skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Question:

I have to configurations I've been playing with and can't figure out which will actually provide best pefromance.

Config 1:

Dual GTX260 SLi + 8800GTS as PhysX card at x16, x8, x8

or

Config 2:

Dual GTX260 SLi at x16, x16.

I can't really see a difference in any game I've tested it on, wondering if having my second SLi card running at x8 vs x16 is going to change performance.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Comments

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

8x bus hinders the performance, but not so much. Personally I'd choose the 2nd option, dedicated physx card isn't a smart move considering physx is next to useless. 

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

If its a PCI-e x16 2.0, then the video cards will fail to utilize the full bus in x8 mode.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by skeaser

Question:
    I have to configurations I've been playing with and can't figure out which will actually provide best pefromance.
    Config 1:
    Dual GTX260 SLi + 8800GTS as PhysX card at x16, x8, x8
    or
    Config 2:
    Dual GTX260 SLi at x16, x16.
    I can't really see a difference in any game I've tested it on, wondering if having my second SLi card running at x8 vs x16 is going to change performance.

X8 provide proper performance ,too technical but 1 x16 or 2 x8 there is no advantage

aside from the graphic card themselves

the pcie config wont gain more speed .weird yes but true!naybe futur card there will be diff but since right now our bottleneck is elswhere(hard drive or ssd)it doesnt make much difference.

One card is totally different than sli/cf configuration, it is with multiple cards where the bus speed counts. 

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

So I should lose the PhysX card? I really only threw it in out of pure gee whizz fun, I had it laying around from another build and thought I'd put it in to see how it did.

I may pull it out, I've been getting some screen flicker since I put it in, not sure why, but it sems to be the cause.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

you missunderstand totally

you asked in your title:

pcie x16 vs x8 and i said they are = as of now

x8 will be used for sli or crossfire

x16 will be used when you only have 1 graphic card

some motherboard have 2 x16 slot but most tend to favor 2 x8 slot for sli or crossfire since as of now there is no advantage to go to x16

since the actual bottleneck of your computer will always be elsewhere (2010)

Don't make false assumptions if you aren't sure, he stated at a first post he has a mobo which can do 2x16x pcie.

Oh, and throw out the separate physx card, it's totally useless. 

• TKDocTKDoc Member UncommonPosts: 6

The difference between x16 and x8 is small and may not be noticed so go with the config u like. If u have a game that can use the PhysX card then use it since u already have the hardware. Upgrading a mobo before its time is likely a waste of money

As far as the flicker I would suggest that your power supply may not be giving enough power under load

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by TKDoc

The difference between x16 and x8 is small and may not be noticed so go with the config u like. If u have a game that can use the PhysX card then use it since u already have the hardware. Upgrading a mobo before its time is likely a waste of money
    As far as the flicker I would suggest that your power supply may not be giving enough power under load

That's what my first thought was, but I've got an 1100watt PSU. It has 4 PCI connectors that are running the 260s, then I've got an adapter connecting the 8800's 1 PCI connecter to two HDD (IDE type) power connecters.